Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Manchester Meet - NEW DATE Saturday 15th May 2004 - Fab Cafe - 2pm

Started by european son, February 02, 2004, 11:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

moved over from the old new board

selected highlights

Quote from: "i"i thought now would be a good time to make a concerted effort to get a bunch of VWs together in manchester.

i was thinking April/May might be nice... it may've even stopped raining by then if we're lucky.

the plan is to get together somewhere smoky where they sell whisky, get a bit wasted, and that's about it.

what dates/times of the month (i'm thinking in relation to when faraway folk get paid) would be good for anyone interested?

Quote from: "Waspy"I get back from India in late April, So early May weekend would be nice

Quote from: "Trace"There was something about Sheffield in April, so May would be nice (apart from the last weekend, 'cos I'm in Kefalonia lalalalalalalala)

Quote from: "Crippen"I'd be ok for whenever

Quote from: "weekender"I get paid on the 20th of each month, so shortly after then is good for me. Don't a lot of people usually get paid at the end of the month as well? Might be worth bearing that in mind.

Quote from: "Amby"If you don't want me to attend, try and arrange it for an F1 Grand Prix weekend (details available on request). Seriously though, shouldn't we hold off arranging anything until the main board's back up?

The Culture Bunker

If I ever get my life and head together and move down to Manchester as I've been intending to for the last six months, I'll probably be up for a pint or two.

european son

cool, more interest in a meet up north than i thought would be shown... it's ages away so we can sort out a time/place a lot nearer the date, but at the moment its looking like Saturday 23rd May seems to be the best day for the people that have replied.

the manc whores can use this thread to bounce around ideas for places to go and that.

Bert

I might possibly attend a meet in Manchester, if I can get the time off work - I could even meet up with VM on the train over.

(Incidentally, which supermarket do you work for, Vermy? I was in Barton today, and thought of popping into Proudfoot, Spar, Lidl and Co-op on a Vermshneid-hunt, but decided instead to get to the Wheatsheaf before they stopped serving lunch.)

splattermac

being the shy retiring type that I am, I will only agree to meet you one at a time in Chorlton Park or Saddleworth moor.

Alternatively something very casual, like a pint at a gig, something where noise means we can't talk, I don't want you to hear my helium voice and girlish giggle.

Manchester has a comedy club, surely a meet should feature this is some way, then off to somewhere noisy for some more none talking, I suggest we go mute and dispense with any introductions by wearing name badges, all those in favour nod or make some sort of indication with their hand.

I'll come back with something sensible later

Ambient Sheep

Does this mean that Sheffield on April 25th (or was it the 18th) is off?

european son

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Does this mean that Sheffield on April 25th (or was it the 18th) is off?

ummmmm i don't want to step on anyones toes.... i only heard vague mutterings about sheffield (i think it came up when i was on holiday), but if there are already plans we can of course cancel/shift the Manc one.

but you know that manchester is lovely and you all want to visit.

gazzyk1ns

TraceyQ

Gazzy! Hush your mouth! <grin>

the 23rd is a Sunday, dear heart. Can't do Sundays as not enough trains in the evening.  22nd I could probably do. I'll see how my saving goes for my holiday spends. Sheffield'd still on as far as I know.

Hans

If I can get a day off then I'll tag along.  I don't drink though so expect me to sit in the corner thinking:  "Christ, why did I even bother?"

fanny splendid

european son

Quote from: "TraceyQ"the 23rd is a Sunday, dear heart. Can't do Sundays as not enough trains in the evening.  22nd I could probably do.

argh! thanks. i meant Saturday 22nd May, so i'll say that again.

Saturday 22nd May 2004

incidentally, the only reason i'm posting this early in the morning is because i woke up thinking i had a 10am lecture, when it actually starts at 11am.

i vote someone else maybe takes over organisation.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteI might possibly attend a meet in Manchester, if I can get the time off work - I could even meet up with VM on the train over.

(Incidentally, which supermarket do you work for, Vermy? I was in Barton today, and thought of popping into Proudfoot, Spar, Lidl and Co-op on a Vermshneid-hunt, but decided instead to get to the Wheatsheaf before they stopped serving lunch.)

Nice idea. I think getting to Manchester from Hull is a bit of a cunt though. I'm going to an open day at Liverpool Uni soon as well, and everyone who I tell informs me that it'll be the shittiest jounrey I'll ever take. Manchester's a bit nearer though.

I'll be up for a meet given the right time and place.

I *work* in Proudfoot's on Thu/Fri evening and all day Saturday. Chances are I'll be the first work-skivy you'll see when you walk through the entrance.

Quote from: "splattermac"Manchester has a comedy club, surely a meet should feature this is some way, then off to somewhere noisy for some more none talking

Rock World would be nice.  I won't look out of place in my crotchless all-in-one leather outfit then.

blue jammer

Manchester MEAT.

Can we get a sticky on this then? as it seems there is a fair bit of interest, and I might just make it, although, having met whores before, I tend to prefer individual meets. How about we all take our phones and meet in different places, then call each other to meet one by one heh.

Hmm don't reckon Rockworld would go down too well for a meet, it's a bit noisy, so there wouldn't be much talk going on... ahh wait, I think that's the whole idea isn't it? so it'd shut everyone up, well it'd certainly avoid all those pregnant pauses...

fanny splendid

Any other ideas where to go?

I only know The City Bar, Fab Cafe, and South.

blue jammer

I was going to say Fab Cafe, as it's a nice sized place, not too loud, and I couldn't really think of a lot of other places in the centre, as I've not been out in town for ages..

Fab is easy to find, and isn't far from Oxford Road BR Stn, so it'd be easy for whores coming from outside of Manchester...

Artemis

I lived for five years in Crimechester before fucking off, and I can whole-heartedly recommend Mama Mia's in Fallowfield or Eastern Flavour in Withington for Pizza and Kebab respectively. Unfortunately, those are the only good things about those areas so Chorlton it is, or Canal Street if you're a man who likes men.

Never knew what to think about Gunchester - they have it looking pretty nice now, or at least did before I left, but I always felt that no matter how much money they threw at it, the fucking miserable poverty stricken townie scum-sucking low lifes will always give the place the pissed-on reputation it deserves.

I did like it sometimes, though.

Artemis

I should add that I'm not actually going - just throwing in my two cents worth from afar. Sorry.

fanny splendid

Marcus Or Relius

Quote from: "european son"
i vote someone else maybe takes over organisation.

I wil then. We shall meet at dusk, under the shadow of the phallically purple-topped Arndale Tower that thrusts majestically into the grime-slathered Mancunian sky. Then we shall scurry to the Thirsty Scholar upon Oxford Street, the one under the railway that doth shudder everytime a train goes over it. Then we shall....I dunno...make it up from there.

Anyone any better ideas?

Mr Flunchy

Can I suggest either the Oyster Bar or Cord Bar for the meeting.  The two best bars in Manchester.

european son

Quote from: "Mr Flunchy"Cord Bar

Cord is interesting, but is also one of the sleaziest places i've ever walked into. you just know the reason for those high seated booths is to shield dirty couples from peering eyes.

Mr Crippen

Quote from: "Marcus Or Relius"
I wil then. We shall meet at dusk, under the shadow of the phallically purple-topped Arndale Tower that thrusts majestically into the grime-slathered Mancunian sky. Then we shall scurry to the Thirsty Scholar upon Oxford Street, the one under the railway that doth shudder everytime a train goes over it. Then we shall....I dunno...make it up from there.

Anyone any better ideas?

Not really a better idea, but they've refurbished that pub near the thirsty scholar that's actually on Oxford Road, and it's pretty nice in a 'tastefully redecorated, but not in a character-sapping bland fashion' way.  The Fab Cafe's also gets my seal of approval because the plebier of my workmates hate it, and I've seen Terry Christian in there, so we might be able to harass him.

Crippen

fanny splendid

As Blue Jammer says, the fab cafe is easy to find, it's slightly interesting inside, plays movies on tv's strewn around the place which is handy for those, 'oh, so you're fanny splendid' moments, and it is in Manchester.

As it's saturday, those who arrive in the afternoon could meet me in the belgian bar in Altrincham, and we can get the tram in to the city, later?

Frinky

I'm a lot closer to Manc now than I used to be... Hmmm, I might be able to go to this. I know I've said that before, but even so. Me and Crippen can talk Castle Decorations and suchforth. Plus I've never actually been to Manchester.

weekender

Quote from: "Mr Flunchy"Can I suggest either the Oyster Bar

Oh no you don't, Mahoney.

Mr Crippen

Quote from: "Frinky"Me and Crippen can talk Castle Decorations and suchforth.

Ooh darling, I'll bring my swatches!!