Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:38:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tom Baker is still alive

Started by Nowhere Man, January 20, 2017, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

No he's not dead.

It's his 83rd birthday today!

What's your favourite Tom Baker memory?
Genesis of the Daleks or City of Death?
Is he your favourite Doctor?
Would you like a jelly baby?
Sarah Jane, Leela or Romana?
Did you read the title and think he carked it?[nb]sorry[/nb]

Norton Canes

FFS! Put 'Not dead' in the thread title!

Cerys

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 20, 2017, 03:42:20 PM
Did you read the title and think he carked it?

Yes I did, you cunt.

But I digress.  He was my Doctor.  Mary Tamm as Romana - The Androids of Tara especially.  My favourite memory - tricky.  Probably evoked by one word - Symphony.

Jelly babies are never as nice as the connection with him should make them.

Blumf

You got to see his arse in The Life and Loves of a She-Devil

Norton Canes

In the mid-80's I went to a few meets of the Bolton And District SF group, where I met Steve 'Warriors Gate/Terminus' Gallagher. When conversation turned to the debauched behaviour of Tom Baker, he showed round a picture he'd taken of Tom and Douglas Adams sharing a goldfish bowl full of gin.

Genesis. City is perfectly entertaining fluff, but come on. Nyder is the clincher. Destiny of the Daleks is better than both, mind. Best Tom of all is probably... Robots of Death, or Ark in Space. Though I love a bit of moody season 18 Tom too.

Head says Tom, heart says Peter Davison.

Not sure, do they have gelatine in them these days?

Leela every time, and frequently. Although as I remarked in the 'first famous person you fancied' thread, I did have some pre-pubescent but decidedly warming thoughts about Romana 1.

Look these days there isn't a single moment I open up a news page or message board or anything on the internet where I don't expect to see TOM BAKER DIES at the top of the page.

Ambient Sheep

It's not too late to edit the thread title, you know.

Black_Bart

Referring to Chris Addison as "the boy".

Kelvin

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 20, 2017, 03:56:07 PM
Head says Tom, heart says Peter Davison.

It's a little known fact that Davidson is in fact the shittest Doctor.

amnesiac

RIP big guy, I'm banging through every episode of Tales of the Unexpected on Sky Boxsets and so far I'm amazed he hasn't been in even one.

Black_Bart

QuoteIt's a little known fact that Davidson is in fact the shittest Doctor.

What about Sylvester McCoy?

shiftwork2

Cerys

We could share him.  There's enough of him to go round.

thenoise

Quote from: Blumf on January 20, 2017, 03:55:36 PM
You get to see his cock and balls in 'The Canterbury Tales' (Pier Paolo Pasolini)

daf

First memory - City of Death

Genesis or City - City of Death

Faves - Yes

Jellybaby - Aniseed flavour please

SJ. L, R - Romana 2 in City of Death

Carked - Yes, you bastard

Mary is not amused

Cerys

Quote from: daf on January 20, 2017, 04:19:06 PM
First memory - City of Death

Mine was Robots of Death, but I remember City more clearly.

amnesiac

I don't know the TITLE of a single Dr Who episode not even the one probably called The 13 Doctors. I just watch them, then forget about it immediately like a normal person.

Mary is not amused

Yes.  Mostly an age thing, but also because he was actually odd, not just acting odd, an important attribute for a alien.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blumf on January 20, 2017, 03:55:36 PM

I think we have a list of Doctor's arses somewhere.

Seen arse:

- Tom Baker
- David Tennant
- Matt Smith

It wouldnt surprise me if Colin Baker has gotten his arse out at some point, presumably eerily coincided with an eclipse.

Ray Travez

I think he's marvellous. Used to wear a big old scarf like his, that my sister knitted for me.

I had the audiobook of his autobiography, which is excellent. There's a quote in there, one of his workmates says something like, "There's something very queer about you, Baker!" Always stuck with me, that.

I don't care too much about Englishness, but I love the essential English eccenticity that is in a lot of British sci-fi. Baker's Who has it in spades, all that jellybaby stuff and eye-rolling. I love the hamminess of it.   

My favourite Dr Who is The Horror of Fang Rock, which was one of Baker's last before The Doctor transformed. It really put the willies up me. I had the book as well; I used to read it at night tucked up in bed. In retrospect, the monster in the story was about as scary as a briefly-glimpsed omelette, but there was something about the way the tension built in that eerie lighthouse that made it chilling.

I've never thought about it before, but there's a lot of Tom Baker's Who in Zaphod Beeblebrox isn't there?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 20, 2017, 04:43:52 PMMy favourite Dr Who is The Horror of Fang Rock, which was one of Baker's last before The Doctor transformed

Into an arrogant, objectionable egotist?

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 20, 2017, 04:43:52 PMI've never thought about it before, but there's a lot of Tom Baker's Who in Zaphod Beeblebrox isn't there?

In his Tennant/Smith/Capaldi incarnations, yeah. In the classic series he was more Ford Prefect.

[edit: Arse, I read that all wrong didn't I]

Attila

When I met him.

Either, for different reasons/memory.

I dedicated my PhD dissertation to him (this Doctor, not T Baker)

Sadly cannot stand them.

When I was little and would play Doctor Who in the woods behind my house, I got to be Sarah Jane (well, she was the companion at the time.). Later on, my dress sense was pretty much influenced by Romana 2.

I did, and after the shite day/week I've had, it wasn't very funny.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 20, 2017, 04:43:52 PM
My favourite Dr Who is The Horror of Fang Rock, which was one of Baker's last before The Doctor transformed.

As a Doctor Who fan I am obliged to pedantically correct you and point out Fang Rock was on 1977 and Tom's tenure was 74-81.

Good story mind.

thenoise

Quote from: Attila on January 20, 2017, 04:48:14 PM

I dedicated my PhD dissertation to him (this Doctor, not T Baker)

You're a doctor of ... Doctor Who?

studpuppet

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2017, 04:30:28 PM
It wouldnt surprise me if Colin Baker has gotten his arse out at some point, presumably eerily coincided with an eclipse.

Trawl through this - he's in bed with Peri at one point (which is weird enough) but not sure if the cheeks appear:

The Airzone Solution

biggytitbo

Can we get a definitive list please? Replies with View has one.

Attila

Quote from: thenoise on January 20, 2017, 04:55:08 PM
You're a doctor of ... Doctor Who?

It's buried with my Doctor Who books in storage somewhere, but he did write an autograph for me 'To the Doctor, love from the Doctor'  :3

Ray Travez

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2017, 04:50:05 PM

As a Doctor Who fan I am obliged to pedantically correct you and point out Fang Rock was on 1977 and Tom's tenure was 74-81.

Fair enough, I'm not surprised to be corrected. I can barely remember last month, let alone stuff from four decades ago.

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2017, 04:50:05 PM

Good story mind.
A Doctor Who fan should know better than anybody that Tom Baker didn't do his years in sequential order.