Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

With the third thread having reached 100 pages, it's time once again to start a new one.  So here it is.

Meanwhile, have the latest one of these:

Sheepy's guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:  Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15:  So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special (A Christmas Carol))
2011/01/20 - 2012/01/05:  Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32))
2012/01/07 - 2012/12/29:  Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers) (S07(33)E01 (Asylum of the Daleks) - S07(33)E05 (The Angels Take Manhattan) plus Christmas Special (The Snowmen))
2012/12/29 - 2013/07/11:  Doctor Who, Series 7 (part two) (S07(33)E06 (The Bells of Saint John) - S07(33)E13 (The Name of the Doctor))
2013/01/07 - 2014/01/05:  Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year (overlaps with the previous thread)
2013/12/26 - 2014/08/11:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (101 pages before Series 8 (34) had even aired!)
2014/08/09 - 2014/10/21:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 2) (S08(34)E01 (Deep Breath) - S08(34)E09 (Flatline))
2014/10/21 - 2015/01/14:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3) (S08(34)E09 (Flatline) - S08(34)E12 (Death in Heaven) plus Christmas Special (Last Christmas))
2015/01/05 - 2015/10/27:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (S09(35) speculation and E01 (The Magician's Apprentice) - E06 (The Woman Who Lived))
2015/10/26 - 2016/01/21:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued) (S09(35)E07 (The Zygon Invasion) - S09(35)E12 (Hell Bent) plus Christmas Special (The Husbands of River Song))
2016/01/22 - 2017/04/15:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Pre-S10(36) speculation)
2017/04/15 - 2017/08/07:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 2) (S10(36)E01 (The Pilot) - S10(36)E12 (The Doctor Falls))
2017/08/07 - 2018/01/07:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 3) (Christmas Special (Twice Upon a Time) and general chatter about the impending Chibnall era)
2018/01/07 - 2018/11/02:  Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1) (62 pages of pre-S11(37) speculation, then S11(37)E01 (The Woman Who Fell to Earth) to S11(37)E04 (Arachnids in the UK))
2018/11/02 - 2019/06/13:  Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2) (S11(37)E05 (The Tsuranga Conundrum) to S11(37)E10 (The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos) plus New Year's Day Special (Resolution), then whatever the thread equivalent of "The entire thousand‐mile­‐long bridge spontaneously folded up its glittering spans and sank weeping into the mire, taking everybody with it." would be)
2019/06/13 - 2020/03/03: Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge (24 pages of Pre-S12(38) speculation, then Ballad's review of S12(38)E01 (Spyfall, Part 1), then two-and-a-half pages later, everyone else's, then all of Series 12 up to and including S12(38)E10 (The Timeless Children).
2020/03/03 - 202?/??/??: Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat) (What it says on the tin, plus all the lockdown stuff)

Threads about the old series, in chronological order of creation:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Second thread, 2011/01/14 - 2016/10/21)
Old Doctor Who - Part 3 (Third thread, 2016/10/21 - 2020/06/04)
Old Doctor Who - Part 4 (Fourth thread, 2020/06/04 - 20??/??/??, you're reading it now)

Threads about both, but for your ears only:
Doctor Who Audio Adventures (Big Finish etc.)

Other Doctor Who related broadcast threads, also in chronological order:
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1, there was no S1 thread)
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3 (aka Children of Earth)
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games
Torchwood: The New World (one-page thread presaging Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood return date.... (three-post thread announcing Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (aka Series 4)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (US airings)
Class (Doctor Who spin-off) series 1

There wasn't a Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 thread, let alone a Series 5 one. :-(

The Doctor Who Radio Times Project - with thanks to Replies From View
A Radio Times History of Doctor Who: 01 William Hartnell

Still more Doctor Who related threads, again in chronological order:
Fanzines (Comedy, Doctor Who and in general)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Mong Doctor Who series 5 (H.S. Art thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who (a really good thread, IMHO)
Doctor Who Mongs (H.S. Art thread)
Beeb to show unseen interview with Dr Who theme creator (Delia Derbyshire)
Doctor Who film (November 2011 thread about film rumour)
Watching Doctor Who no 1. The Time Meddler (1965)
Why i don't like modern Doctor Who
Doctor Who leaked scripts thread (but still no spoilers) (July 2014)
Doctor Who: The Movie (April 2015 thread about another film rumour)
K9: Timequake (new movie coming 2017, allegedly... very allegedly, by now)
Doctor Who World (should it become an expanded franchise like Marvel?)
Dr Who Re Dooooo (would it be worth refilming some early stories?)
Doctor Who or Chips? (addressing the burning issue of the day)
Tom Baker is still alive (General Tom Baker appreciation thread)
Lost WHO script. (Spoon of Ploff writes a Doctor Who story in H.S. Art)
BRADLEY WALSH will be Doctor Who's companion (Two-and-a-half pages of mild jaw-droppage from 2017/08/21-24, however this comment fails to be "very sarky")
Radiophonic Prom (featuring the music of Delia Derbyshire, among others)
Watching Doctor Who (2005) from the middle of the beginning (madhair60 sparks discussion about the RTD era -- includes a superb Sheepy-has-to-up-his-game-now list by Talulah, really! to every individual episode discussion of the first three series; many thanks for that!)
Clive Swift has died (and much of the thread is about that DWM interview)
giant blue penis bloke from doctor who (the Moxx of Balhoon gets his own thread, then lives it up with Balok and friends)
Wanting to get into old Doctor Who (madhair60 enquires again; lots of good answers)

(See here for sources.  Further additions & corrections welcome.)

purlieu

I suppose Season 20 makes sense as the next BluRay - everything pre-Tom needs a lot of touching up, and everything post-Davison isn't going to sell as well - but I really wouldn't mind another earlier one at this stage.

I've taken lockdown as an opportunity to work through a stack of books I've been meaning to read in ages, so my Who novel marathon is currently paused - but it'll be back in a couple of months hopefully.

Gurke and Hare

I'm slightly peeved that they released 12 and 14 and missed 13. Zygons? Pyramids? Morbius? Seeds of Doom? Yes please!

Bad Ambassador

S14 is being reissued in July due to demand. Identical content and packaging.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 05, 2020, 11:55:49 AM
I'm slightly peeved that they released 12 and 14 and missed 13. Zygons? Pyramids? Morbius? Seeds of Doom? Yes please!

It's presumably not been overlooked.

daf

Yes, it was confirmed by the team making the extras, that they plan on doing all 26 - plus a McGann / Wilderness years set!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 11, 2020, 01:07:46 PM
S14 is being reissued in July due to demand. Identical content and packaging.

Oh what brilliant news.  Can we pre-order now?

I wonder if it really will be identical packaging or if, like my S12 set, it will say "2ND EDITION" on the bottom in tiny print?  Not that I care as long as the content's identical, I'm not that much of a collector, but will be interesting to see if they bother.

If anybody knows off the top of their head, to save me looking myself, what other seasons have been released so far?

Deanjam

I wonder if they're legally obliged to write second print/edition as the original run are sold as limited editions.

daf

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 11, 2020, 04:12:37 PM
If anybody knows off the top of their head, to save me looking myself, what other seasons have been released so far?

season & UK release date

12 - 2 July 2018
19 - 26 November 2018
18 - 18 March 2019
10 - 8 July 2019
23 - 7 October 2019
26 - 27 January 2020
14 - 4 May 2020

Gurke and Hare

Yes, but I want Season 13 NOW!

I watched Planet of the Spiders over the last few days. Jesus, it's poor. Diabolical performances, and maybe three episodes of plot at most stretched over six.

Deanjam

I really like the stuff with Lipton at the retreat, and Mike has a nice redemption. But the Metebelis characters are rubbish. Hard to argue against it being stretched out with entire episode pretty much just a chase.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: daf on June 11, 2020, 05:00:54 PM
season & UK release date

12 - 2 July 2018
19 - 26 November 2018
18 - 18 March 2019
10 - 8 July 2019
23 - 7 October 2019
26 - 27 January 2020
14 - 4 May 2020

Oh brilliant, that's so kind of you.

Shit, though, didn't realise there'd been so many so far; in particular I didn't realise they'd done a Pertwee. 

Bother.

daf

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 11, 2020, 06:52:14 PM
in particular I didn't realise they'd done a Pertwee. 

Here's the trailer for that one : Jo Grant Returns

There's also a cracking new Pertwee Documentary Doctor Who and the Third Man on there, featuring interviews with Gatiss and Moffat.

Don't pay silly money for it on ebay, though - they're bound to re-issue it eventually!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Deanjam on June 11, 2020, 05:54:46 PM
I really like the stuff with Lipton at the retreat, and Mike has a nice redemption. But the Metebelis characters are rubbish. Hard to argue against it being stretched out with entire episode pretty much just a chase.

As well as the chase, the cliffhanger reprises are really long - I assume you don't notice this so much watching episodes seven days apart insted of one.

purlieu

Quote from: daf on June 11, 2020, 01:48:34 PM
Yes, it was confirmed by the team making the extras, that they plan on doing all 26 - plus a McGann / Wilderness years set!
They also want to do the new series in the same format, although whether it'll happen remains to be seen.

Obviously the reissue of 14 is great, although it's annoying that it's basically them covering up the major fuckups that happened there, with them not issuing promised stock out so retailers had to cancel guaranteed preorders. Described as 'to meet demand' when it should have been described as 'to meet our original targets'.

I like Planet of the Spiders. It's definitely got a lot of filler, but it just has a really tense 'end of Doctor' feel to it, especially the chase. It never feels like just a normal story.

purlieu

Purlieu's BluRay Odyssey: Frontier in Space

The ultimate in 'locked up -> escape -> locked up' stories, to the point where it becomes funny. It's actually a story that benefits from it: the frustration of The Doctor and Jo not being able to sort the situation feeds into the tension. Nevertheless, it's definitely a long six parter, and although narratively bunching all the action up towards the end makes sense, and gives it an enjoyably unusual structure, some of the early stuff definitely drags.

A decent set of extras, this time. The making of is fine, not one of the best but certainly some insight. Behind the Sofa has, at this point, turned into everyone just saying how good things are. The real pulls are the first Perfect Scenario documentary which, despite a staggeringly naff framing narrative, is an enjoyable look into how the culture and politics of 1970s Britain fed into the story; and in particular the Roger Delgado biography, which was really moving: it's clear just how loved he was as a person, and how tragic a loss his death was. When his widow talked about how she wished she'd been in the car so she could have died with him, it definitely brought some tears. A beautiful piece and worth the price of entry alone.

Next time: The Daleks 2.

Malcy

Been trying to pick up The Faceless Ones cheap on Blu-Ray. Just not happening. Can't even 'acquire' it elsewhere even though I know its been ripped.

I'd like to get the Blu-Ray box sets but his shit of get it at the time or pay through the nose is pissing me off. Found a few of them on torrents but fuck me they take up a lot of space. So much so that if they were just always available to buy at a normal price I usually wouldn't hesitate but just woefully skint at the moment. Or at least getting way more for my money than I would for a single story release.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on June 18, 2020, 08:49:35 PM
I'd like to get the Blu-Ray box sets but his shit of get it at the time or pay through the nose is pissing me off.

Yeah, the days of being able to wait years for DVD prices to drop to under a fiver are long gone - these buggers are selling out even before the release date - it's crazy!

Replies From View

Those scalpers need to be fed.

purlieu

I don't understand the business model at all. Surely the more you make, the cheaper each becomes, the more profit is made? There are so many people clamouring for these after they've sold out that, even if they really want to do them as limited editions, they could easily double the number and not make a loss. Given the amount of money put into new extras, packaging design, upgrading, etc., you'd think they'd want to make them as widely available as possible, in the way every other BluRay is done. I'm still totally baffled by the whole thing.

Norton Canes

Seems as good a place as any to put this, from the latest Popbitch mailout:

A keen amateur photographer and cricket player, Anthony Ainley's former team-mates remember that he would usually decline to partake of the traditional cricket teas in the club house on account of his dislike of cheese, choosing instead to eat his own little picnic in his car.

He wouldn't always dine alone though. Sometimes he'd invite a team-mate or member of the opposition to join him and would pass the time by showing them the chunky photo album he kept of polaroids that he'd taken of various fannies over the years.

Tom Baker claims that Ainley had a "cock like a skittle".

jenna appleseed

Earlier from the mini quarantine daily Pobitches they've been sending out:

">> Doctor's orders <<
Taking care of the bad guys

TL writes:
"Back in the early 80s I was a massive Doctor Who fan. I didn't write letters to the Doctors though. I wrote to Anthony Ainley, who played the Doctor's arch-nemesis, the Master. The letter said how, even though I liked the Doctor, I thought The Master was better and I didn't understand why the BBC couldn't let him win occasionally.

"I was utterly gobsmacked when I received not only a signed photo, but also a lengthy letter, written in character by Ainley, on how I was utterly correct and that the BBC were indeed the true enemy for not letting him win."

"Years later, when working for a West London Theatre in 1999, I had the opportunity to meet Ainley. This was almost 20 years on from my letter and I mentioned it in passing in the bar. Ainley lit up and explained in great depth that he'd always remembered it, as 'many children weren't allowed by their parents to write to the bad guy.'" "

---
"Further to last week's story, Anthony Ainley's passion for playing the Master is well known to Dr Who fans. Apparently he used to introduce himself on the phone by saying "This is the Master" and do an evil laugh. His answerphone message was similar."

pigamus

That's brilliant. But in what circumstances would Tom Baker even...

Don't tell, me I don't want to know.

Hank the Rapper

Skittle, the sweet or Skittle, the bowling pin?

I HAVE TO KNOW.

pigamus

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 18, 2020, 10:31:40 PM
He wouldn't always dine alone though. Sometimes he'd invite a team-mate or member of the opposition to join him and would pass the time by showing them the chunky photo album he kept of polaroids that he'd taken of various fannies over the years.

"This is Matthew Waterhouse... Jon Pertwee on the Five Doctors... JN-T... Matthew Waterhouse again..."

Norton Canes

I wonder if it...

No, best not to think.

Replies From View

In its shape?  Or in the sense that it was easily toppled over?

Or maybe he meant it had a colourful sugar coating.

mjwilson

Quote from: purlieu on June 18, 2020, 10:19:26 PM
I don't understand the business model at all. Surely the more you make, the cheaper each becomes, the more profit is made? There are so many people clamouring for these after they've sold out that, even if they really want to do them as limited editions, they could easily double the number and not make a loss. Given the amount of money put into new extras, packaging design, upgrading, etc., you'd think they'd want to make them as widely available as possible, in the way every other BluRay is done. I'm still totally baffled by the whole thing.

The only explanation I've seen (and it was only from someone from the internet) is that they weren't sure that fans would necessarily pay for a minor upgrade in picture quality and a few extra features, and that if it went on general release then lots of people would decide to wait for 9 months till the price drops. So by having a limited edition, everyone buys at full price and the BBC make their money back.

Still seems like they've made them a bit too limited though.

purlieu

Given that when the BBC did a subtle rebranding on its DVD range, they started printing reversible DVD sleeves because they knew a certain number of fans would object to the spines looking very slightly different. I wonder at what point they started miscalculating what Doctor Who fans want. These would probably sell out in a few months if they made twice as many.

jenna appleseed

Seems as good a place as any to put this, from the latest Popbitch mailout:

A keen amateur photographer and cricket player, Anthony Ainley's former team-mates remember that he would usually decline to partake of the traditional cricket teas in the club house on account of his dislike of cheese, choosing instead to eat his own little picnic in his car.

latest mini popbitch update

">> Photo services <<
The Master at work

You may be wondering, after yesterday's story of Anthony Ainley's infamous fanny photo album, where The Master managed to recruit so many models. Most of them were of his own acquaintance, but he was apparently well-known at his cricket club for approaching any new recruit to the team to offer his photography services.

He would sidle up to them to ask: "Do you have any naked photographs of your wife?"

If they told him no, he would respond – after a brief pause:

"...would you like some?" "