Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Hicks/Kurt Cobain Show on Radio 1Tonight (26/2)

Started by Bollock Chops, February 26, 2004, 03:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bollock Chops

Tonight. Midnight 'til 2:

QuoteOne World: Kurt and Bill
Show broadcast on Radio 1 on Friday 26th February 2004

On the 6th April 1994 Kurt Cobain committed suicide. He was 27 years old, a media frenzy ensued......

Less than 6 weeks earlier at 11.20pm on 26th February Bill Hicks died of pancreatic cancer with his parents by his bedside. The laminated memorial card Mrs Hicks handed out to his friends said he was 32 years 2 months and ten days old - his death went largely unreported.

Tonight's One World presents 'Kurt n Bill' - 2 hours devoted purely and simply to the music of Kurt Cobain and the comedy of Bill Hicks...

Bilko

You can bet there'll be a lot more of Kurt Cobain in a Months time on radio and T.V.

Fail to see how you can link them together though in one programme.

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Fail to see how you can link them together though in one programme.
Ahh ye know...it's that whole rabbit/Pete Sampras thing.

Needs recording though... meant to have some rare stuff in it (hmmm right), yet not available via "listen again."

butnut

Is anyone listening to this? For some reason I assumed that it would be some kind of documentary, but it sounds like they're going to play the entire Nirvana catalogue interspersed with the odd Hicks clip.

EDIT - a naughty edit at the end of the orange drink routine - no Willie Nelson! They make him say "and that goes for everyone...end of story."

king mob

danabnormal

Quote from: "king mob"I fucking missed this, is it online?
unfortunatly not ,  i tried logging in and all you get is "this show is not availble" bastards and to quote from the website.
QuoteOne World: Kurt and Bill
Show broadcast on Radio 1 on Friday 26th February 2004

Please note, due to the strong lanuage used in this show it will not be be available to listen again on the web-site. That's Bill Hicks for you!
cunts!

A Passing Turk Slipper

I wish I recorded it. I really enjoyed it, great music and great comedy. Someone's bound to have captured it though, if not here somewhere else.

bill hicks

Any truly rare stuff though, or just stuff that isn't on the videos?

A Passing Turk Slipper

I not a big enough fan of Hicks of Nirvana to know which were the rare bits but there was an interesting recording of Hicks speaking about the Letterman incident on some radio program, recordings of Courtney Love reading out Cobain's suicide note (as well as the occasional comment about it 'stop being such a rock star you fucking asshole') and some recording of Cobain singing some song, I'm guessing this was rare as it was pretty bad quality. They might all be very common though for all I know. Was a good 2 hours of radio though, I thought it would just be a documentary but was glad when they just played various bits of material, Hicks material over looped intros of Nirvana songs and stuff.

TOCMFIC

Did they mention anything of the "Kurt was murdered" debate? When I first heard that I thought "utter bollocks" but I've read and seen a load of stuff about it now that makes me think otherwise.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: "bill hicks"Any truly rare stuff though, or just stuff that isn't on the videos?

Nirvana wise, they only played Opinion as far as i remember.They did play D7 too which was great to hear.Hicks wise there was an exerpt from what sounded like some american chat show with Bill talking about his mothers disscussion of death over the dinner table. (something to do with tumours and ceiling fans.Can't really remember.I were pished.) Dunno if it's online or not.Then...

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"there was an interesting recording of Hicks speaking about the Letterman incident on some radio program

Which was from his interview with Howard Stern (or at least part of it) that used to be on http://www.sacredcow.com

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Did they mention anything of the "Kurt was murdered" debate? When I first heard that I thought "utter bollocks" but I've read and seen a load of stuff about it now that makes me think otherwise.
Nah, there was no mention of that, it was only songs played, no comments or interviews featured. There were a few News storys played and stuff but now mention of that whole murder argument.

Neil

I'd love to know what TOCMFIC has seen which convinces him the murder story is real as it seems like a load of attention whores spouting shite to me.  Anyway this crap radio show is repeated now on Radio 1.  It's crap, not a good documentary like they used to do just a load of Nirvana songs mixed with Hicks bits.

Mr Flunchy

Quote from: "Neil"I'd love to know what TOCMFIC has seen which convinces him the murder story is real as it seems like a load of attention whores spouting shite to me.  Anyway this crap radio show is repeated now on Radio 1.  It's crap, not a good documentary like they used to do just a load of Nirvana songs mixed with Hicks bits.

Why so negative all the time Neil?

Neil

Well, not all the time, I've been up all night encoding comedy which seems fairly positive, and I started ttwo threads over the last couple of hours about shows I enjoyed.  Err, I'm negative in this case because the show was a lazy load of rubbish, and Radio 1 used to make excellent documentaries.  I mean, just lazily stitching bits of their stuff together, how is that a fitting tribute to either one?!

Mr Flunchy

Well, it doesn't look like it was trying to be a documentary, it's just a nicely edited 2 hours of comedy and music.  If it was touting itself as a documentary then I'd feel free to piss all over it.  As it stands, it was entertaining enough, not amazing, but definately not shit.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Well to start off with I think Neil should be able to state his opinion of a program without a 'do you like anything?' type comment being made. But I do agree with Mr Flunchy in that I thought it never made itself out to be a documentary. However cheap and easy it was to mix a few songs and stand up bits together, after the initial disapointment of finding out it wasn't a documentary I still found myself really liking it, the music and the comedy was great and I think it was made well. I thought it was a nice combination of Nirvana songs used, and ones which suited a lot of the Hicks material used. And they didn't play Smells like Teen Spirit once.

Neil

I know it wasn't setting out to be a documentary, I'm just pointing out that, in the past, Radio 1 did make excellent documentaries, and it's indicative of the general decline of the station that they just lazily chuck a load of clips together these days, rather than set out to take an in-depth look at the work of either Hicks or Cobain.

Mr Flunchy