Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

new us budget released

Started by Anonymous, February 02, 2004, 04:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3450235.stm

half a trillion deficit, with defence expenditure to increase by 7% while domestic affairs gets capped at 1%.

half a TRILLION.

and he wants to go to the moon.

me

OK. Which "guest" forgot to sign in ??

Timmay

Sherringford Hovis

Nah, that's either Pinball or Kingboy_D trying to confuse us by being a little less verbose than usual.

Bill Oddie will be along shortly to explain that GWB has our best interests at heart, which I will try to refute, while at the same time managing to weasle in a mention of how cute my dog is.

smoker

yep guilty, and the other one's me as well

smoker

Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"Nah, that's either Pinball or Kingboy_D trying to confuse us by being a little less verbose than usual.

:)

elderford

I haven't got a problem with increased defense spending as some of it will go into weapons development, which in turn leads to a better choice of weapons in Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, etc.

smoker

Quote from: "elderford"I haven't got a problem with increased defense spending as some of it will go into weapons development, which in turn leads to a better choice of weapons in Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, etc.

so you're saying, violence begets video games. hm, revolutionary

Purple Tentacle

Any news of Chrono-Tanks or the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament?

They're great.

Pinball

It's the ghettoes all over again, which were last exacerbated (if not created) during Reagan's cold war era when he massively increased defense spending  and made tax cuts. To pay for it he massacred "social spending", essentially meaning that many lost their education and healthcare/unemployment etc. funding, resulting in ghettoes. To paraphrase Carlin - there's some winners but a whooooooole lot of losers.

GWB is pushing it to a whole new level tho, which begs the question - how much debt can the USA sustain before it goes into economic meltdown? I suspect not much more, given what's happened to the US dollar recently & investor confidence in the US, which is what makes this budget so worrying...

He's put in a load of hard-to-reverse stuff like tax cuts that don't expire until 2011 (he wants to make them permanent!).

There appears to be at least one glaring factual error in the story (if you want to get nitpicky

QuoteBut his figures do not include any additional spending on Iraq, whose costs in 2004 were $85bn

That's quite a lot of expenditure for just under 33 days.  Still, he's bunged up medicare a bit, just to make out that he's all heart.

Alberon

To be fair to the warmonger, he's said a lot about going to the moon, but he hasn't actually put forward that much money to do it.

That will be his successor's problem.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Quotehalf a trillion deficit

"You're going to have to pay me.....500 billion dollars!...To finance my top secret mooooon base you understand...."

What a fucking disgrace the USA is.

Pinball

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"What a fucking disgrace the USA is.
Well said Sir! ;-)

axel

Just as a side note, i'm currently listening to a couple of Jello Biafra albums,
'The Big Ka-Boom' and 'Machine Gun In The Clowns Hands'. Very interesting stuff, would recommend to all readers of this thread.
Sorry if you all already know them.

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/product.php?product=473&sd=RASFSijqLgqHJxN02Mh

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/product.php?product=525&sd=RASFSijqLgqHJxN02Mh