Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ding Mong merrily on high...

Started by sam and janet evening, November 30, 2005, 09:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanny splendid

This is the one I did last year. I like your Goatse idea, though!

Edit: Bah!

sproggy

mook

Haha, cheers Fanny, that's a thousand times better than I could have managed.

I sure Mr.Yearly will be touched.

This has been really cool, I really enjoyed......................and by the way MERRY Xmas to You all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Neil

Yes Merry Xmas to you too Tortoiselady!

Fanny and mook, that is awesome.  I almost expected some Alien-style teeth too come flying out of it.  Oh, I'll be having nightmares tonight.  Nice to see you back by the way.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI sure Mr.Yearly will be touched.

On the evidence of that, we'd better get someone to protect him....

Almost Yearly

Brilliant mooky / fandles! - you have indeed touched me, both at once, and I liked it.

By way of thanks, how about I do a goatse for real next year? You know I think I will. Don't think I won't.

Neil

Aha, so that's what frame three was!

fanny splendid

Thanks chaps, but I forgot to change the colour of the reflections. Sloppy photoshopping.

Clinton Morgan

Merry Christmas to all you wonderful people logged onto this site. Every single last one of you.

Lots of Love

Clinton

mayer

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"A great festive image from Banksy

Heh, good old Banksy. Correctly pointing out that Jews were building structures in Palestine, their homeland, at the time Jesus was born, and at least a full 570 years before Mohammad was born, according to that picture. :-)

All Surrogate

Quote from: "mayer"
Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"A great festive image from Banksy

Heh, good old Banksy. Correctly pointing out that Jews were building structures in Palestine, their homeland, at the time Jesus was born, and at least a full 570 years before Mohammad was born, according to that picture. :-)
I think in your subtext you confuse Palestinians and muslims.  Semites were there for a long time before the jews became differentiated.

mayer

The Jews occupied Canaan from the Canaanites in a war justified by God, according to the Bible (EDIT: and God promised Abraham the land much earlier than that). Now... I'm not one to bring up the Bible, but Banksy's already dragged it in to the picture, literally. That's his subtext, not mine!

Banksy is using emotive religious imagary to make a politicial point, which isn't an entirely clear one, but pushes all those "right on" buttons just the same.

Actually... honestly.... what is his point in that image?

All Surrogate

Thanks for taking my point.

Quote from: "mayer"Actually... honestly.... what is his point in that image?
Well, taking his audience as being familiar with Christmas while not being particularly religious (that is, that the unaltered image would evoke feelings of hope and unity in them without any particularly sectarian direction), the image is ironic, and so humorous.  Do you understand that a massive wall is generally seen as a symbol of division as opposed to unity?

sproggy

Perhaps He's upset they're using reinforced concrete instead of sun dried mud bricks?

mayer

Quote from: "All Surrogate"Well, taking his audience as being familiar with Christmas while not being particularly religious (that is, that the unaltered image would evoke feelings of hope and unity in them without any particularly sectarian direction), the image is ironic, and so humorous.  Do you understand that a massive wall is generally seen as a symbol of division as opposed to unity?

The thing is, whilst it's at heart a territorial dispute, the conflict in the Middle East is shot through with sectarian and religious divisions. Banksy is either aware of this, or an idiot. He's playing with very contentious pictures there.

Quote from: "All Surrogate"the image is ironic, and so humorous

What's ironic and humorous is considering the relative rights of Christians in Israel and the rest of the Arab world, and what they would be in a Hamas, or even Fatah-led Palestine.

I mean, I just think it's a bit cheap is all. I could go over to the territories and plaster up blown-up photographs of blown-up people. But I don't have an image to promote or art to sell, so I'll chose to make my more considered political arguments in a more considered manner.

{EDIT:

Quote from: "All Surrogate"taking his audience as being familiar with Christmas while not being particularly religious

Yup. His audience being Westerners who are dimly aware of the conflict in the Middle East, know which side to root for, but aren't sure on most of the details. It's poseur politics, isn't it? }

Quote from: "All Surrogate"a massive wall is generally seen as a symbol of division as opposed to unity

Well, the only other massive wall in Israel usually brings people together  :-)

EDIT2:

To clarify my own thouhts that someone's just prompted me for!

I think the Barrier/Wall/Fence is a Good Thing (just looking at the drop in fatalaties on both sides since it's been built), it's just in the Wrong Place. I think the government fucked up with that, because it should've been in Israel proper. No excuse for the land-grabbing.

I do think Banksy's a poseur though! And all that "oooh, a 'comment' on the Palestinian thing... how brave! *applauds*" thing irks me!

All Surrogate

Quote from: "mayer"Banksy is either aware of this, or an idiot.
I think he's aware of the complexity.

Quote from: "mayer"He's playing with very contentious pictures there.
Yes.

Quote from: "mayer"What's ironic and humorous is considering the relative rights of Christians in Israel and the rest of the Arab world, and what they would be in a Hamas, or even Fatah-led Palestine.
No, that's tragic.  The picture is ironic.

Quote from: "mayer"I mean, I just think it's a bit cheap is all.
Cheap enough for you to make another cheap, and sloppy, point about the jewish homeland.

Quote from: "mayer"His audience being Westerners who are dimly aware of the conflict in the Middle East, know which side to root for,
Really, mayer.  I laughed at the picture, but that doesn't mean I support terrorists.  It means I find it grimly humorous that we're all still so fucking stupid.

Quote from: "mayer"but aren't sure on most of the details. It's poseur politics, isn't it?
Maybe he's sick of nations as well.  Maybe it's a plea to get rid of that tired notion, as well as those of race, and ethnicity.  Maybe he actually believes in the unity of humanity.  Maybe he views the wall as just another example of the tribalism of people, and being a physical example, useful to him as a visual artist.  I don't know; my argument was not with Banksy's politics, but with your rash statement.

mayer

Okey, fine!

EDIT:

Shall I chuck in another good natured :-), like in my first post?

Nahhhhhhhh.....

All Surrogate

Quote from: "mayer"Okey, fine!
Thanks, I knew I was right.

That definitely deserves a smiley.

;)

mayer

Hehehhe, well, I was feeling the lonely-Jew-at-xmas thing, I wanted in the thread-action somehow....

Quote from: "AS"Cheap enough for you to make another cheap, and sloppy, point about the jewish homeland.

I do take exception to that though! I make cheap and sloppy one-off yelps, but they're always seperate from my actual points and opinions!

And, maybe it's Nathan Barley's fault... but I think your thoughts on Mr. Banksy are a touch idealistic!

All Surrogate

Quote from: "mayer"Hehehhe, well, I was feeling the lonely-Jew-at-xmas thing, I wanted in the thread-action somehow....
Well, from one member of a historically persecuted minority to another, I share your loneliness.  Actually, the historical persecution of my lot owe a lot to your lot, and we don't have any homeland to return to (apart from San Francisco and Lesbos, and anyway, we're really bad fighters - too busy redecorating the tanks and baking), so ... I'll just have to do the decent thing and deal with you as an individual.

How's that for sucking the humour out of friendly repartee.

Quote from: "mayer"I do take exception to that though! I make cheap and sloppy one-off yelps, but they're always seperate from my actual points and opinions!
Sorry buster, seemed like you we're expressing your actual opinions with an actual point to me, smiley or no.

Quote from: "mayer"And, maybe it's Nathan Barley's fault... but I think your thoughts on Mr. Banksy are a touch idealistic!
I said I didn't know, said it wasn't my point.  He may be a twat.  The picture made me laugh.  Your comment made me upset.  Hence my comment on your comment.

mayer

Quote from: "AS"How's that for sucking the humour out of friendly repartee.

*sighs* If you're insisting.

Quote from: "AS"Sorry buster, seemed like you we're expressing your actual opinions with an actual point to me, smiley or no.

My point was that using Christian Biblical imagary to make political points in a territorial dispute shot through with ethnic and religious divides primarily between Muslims and Jews, for consumption by Westerners who want to feel better is just shit. That was my actual opinion and actual point there.

My opinions and points on the Middle East conflict have been done to death elsewhere. Fucking read them before you ascribe views to me that I don't have. Thanks.

Quote from: "AS"Actually, the historical persecution of my lot owe a lot to your lot

Yes, because all homophobia is routed in the Jewish religion and the Bible. And of course the two are mutually exclusive groups. Remind me to tell all the gay Jews that.

Banksy's exploitative picture made me upset  (war + death + religion + paint = fame + fortune + brownie points)... your rather bizzare last post did too.

sproggy

Personally I think you should both pick up your cumbersome 'words' and get the fuck out of VisonMong (Up Your Arts)

All Surrogate

Quote from: "mayer"My point was that using Christian Biblical imagary to make political points in a territorial dispute shot through with ethnic and religious divides primarily between Muslims and Jews, for consumption by Westerners who want to feel better is just shit. That was my actual opinion and actual point there.
As I said, the political point could be very general, using the Israel/Palestine situation (the wall in particular) as an example of the damaging divisions in humanity, because it worked as a humorous image at this time.  Alternatively, it could be seen as an attack upon the Israeli government.  I picked one interpretation, you picked another.  What more can I say?

Quote from: "mayer"My opinions and points on the Middle East conflict have been done to death elsewhere. Fucking read them before you ascribe views to me that I don't have. Thanks.
I have read many of you posts.  To me, it seems you are very defensive about the Israeli situation and you own jewishness, with good reason, and with good knowledge.  I'll make myself clear by saying that I oppose the existence of the Israeli state, just as I oppose the existence of any Palestinian state, Saudia Arabia, Iraq, France, the USA, the UK, Burkina Faso, any nation in fact.  Terrorism disgusts me, just as 'legitimate' war disgusts me.  The wall disgusts me.  I want a world in which everyone is free of such deadly concepts as nation and ethnicity, and any advantages pertaining to them historically.  Where do you stand on such things?

Quote from: "mayer"Yes, because all homophobia is routed in the Jewish religion and the Bible. And of course the two are mutually exclusive groups. Remind me to tell all the gay Jews that.
I didn't say 'all homophobia'.  To be sure, I can't think of any society-wide homophobia that wasn't caused by the Abrahamic religions (stemming of course from the laws of Leviticus, a product of jewish society at the time), but there probably are some.  If some present-day jews feel that by dint of their ethnicity they have a claim to areas of the Middle East, then they have also to accept responsibilty for widespread homophobia and the concommitant suffering, whatever their actual views on homosexuality.  If some jews insist upon dragging ancient history into the present-day then they must get it all, or be hypocritical.  Personally, I find such argumentation foolish, relying as it does upon 'sins of the father=sins of the son', and its mirror 'the privileges of the father=privileges of the son'.  Therefore, I do not blame present-day jews for historical homophobia.  I blame those guilty of it, who are dead.  Present-day homophobia, I blame upon the people who are homophobes.

Quote from: "mayer"Banksy's exploitative picture made me upset  (war + death + religion + paint = fame + fortune + brownie points)... your rather bizzare last post did too.
Well, I'm sorry; I thought I was quite jovial, what with being self-effacing about my po-faced first paragraph.  I didn't intend to upset you, though I did hope I was reasonable.

mayer

Quote from: "sproglette"Personally I think you should both pick up your cumbersome 'words' and get the fuck out of VisonMong (Up Your Arts)

/@
   \ \
 ___> \
(__O)  \
(____@)  \
(____@)   \
(__o)_    \
      \    \

Pinball

hehe. Hopefully not:
.............\..............\../.........--~~...................~-.-__.....\...........|.............
................\.............\_--.~.......................................~.-._\.........|.............
....................\_.........\..............._.-------------..______\..|.........|.............
......................\...........\____/./...._.___._...(_(_.>........\..........|.............
.........................\....`........C.__)......_____.(._(.__.>...``...|...../..............
........................../.\.``|.....C____)./............\.(____>.........|_/.................
......................./.../.\..|.....C____).. AS..|...(___>........./...\..............
......................|........(......_C____).\_____/.../../..._/..../.........\............
......................|.........\.....|__.....\..\_______/../...(___/......``.....|..........
.....................|.\.........\____)......`.----........---'..............................|.........
................../.......\_...................___\.............../._...................._/...\.......
................|...............................|....../................\.....\...........................|....
...............|........................./.../........|...................|.....\..\.......................|...
..............|......................./.../...........\___/.\___/.......\..\.......................|..
..............|....................../.../.................|.........|..............\..\.....................|..

mayer

Almost Yearly

I just don't know how you took so long to get around to this, mayer, that's all. I expected when I saw the Banksy that yours would be the very next post, but no, a full nine days! Chop chop sunshine.

I took the picture at face and facetious value, ie: (i) ha ha it's like the card I got showing a car crash on a bleak winter's day with ambulances and people in foil blankets and a very subtle fur-topped boot sticking out from under one of the upturned cars and a broken antler in a puddle of blood ... and (ii) regardless of context, go around building big walls and no good can come.

mayer

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"I just don't know how you took so long to get around to this, mayer, that's all.

I was waiting till after Christmas! I didn't want to piss down everyone's chimney!

Quote from: "AY"(ii) regardless of context, go around building big walls and no good can come.

'cept for saving lives on both sides of said wall, of course!

To summarize! Nice wall! Should be five miles to the left though!