Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Picasso

Started by jutl, December 02, 2005, 01:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jutl

The extraordinarily cool On-line Picasso project seems to have had a web design facelift, so I thought I'd link it here. There was a time when I held the fairly widespread view that Picasso was an over-rated hairy Spanish dwarf who couldn't keep it in his trousers and ripped off all his good stuff from African tribesmen who tend not to have lawyers. In fact I had a problem with a lot of C20th artists, as I was a believer in the 'art is craft' argument for modern art being shit.

Despite this I was dragged along to the Museum Berggruen while visiting Berlin for other reasons. Having little German, and feeling as I did about modern art, I thought that the large word 'Kunst' over the door must be a misprint. Still - one omitted epiphany story later - I had realised that Picasso was a kind of God. He changed the way that I thought about art, and as a result opened up a new vista of artistic appreciation and cripplingly expensive book purchasing.

You don't have to be similarly crippled though. The Picasso project there has a gigantic collection of images of his work. I'm assuming that, in a lowish traffic forum like this, it'll be OK to link images into the page if you want to show a favourite or simply ridicule something that you see as a childish daub painted by a cunt.

susie

This kind of amused me for five minutes;

I saw it in the Picasso museum in Paris, which on the whole I found a bit, 'meh'. I went there after a visit to the excellent Kurt Schwitters exhibition at the Pompidou Centre, and was completely underwhelmed by the subsequent wander around Picasso's daubs.

(Ooh, you bitch!)

These well known sketches are pretty good, though.

smoker

i went to that picasso museum in paris as well. i remember he did all these sketches for a friend of his, maybe his manager or agent or someone, and they were all on pages ripped from glossy magazines, pictures of dolled-up big breasted women in their underwear, and he'd done caricatures of his mate, drooling and gurning between their breasts. very funny

splattermac

That's an impressive site and I like the way you can enlarge the image and drag it around the screen for a closer look.

have a track about the man

Lt Plonker

Great site!

I really love Picasso's cubist still life paintings from the 40's. The distorted perspectives make for really exciting and fun looking images!

You can see the influence on a lot of contempory cartoon series, like Dexter's Laboratory or The Fairly Odd Parents. I'm trying to apply the style for the background work in my grad film.

Lt Plonker

Or even the UPA shorts, like Mr Magoo.