Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:18:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who would have thought?

Started by Utter Shit, December 08, 2005, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

This might be a little out there judging by the musical tastes most of you have, but I'll post it anyway.

Ignore, for a minute, all your knowledge of Brian Harvey. Ignore also all your knowledge of East 17 (although they were amazing...). And simply listen to the fourth track down on this page (entitled "I Can", by 'mystery artist'), the new single from the ex-East 17 frontman.

http://www.recordoftheday.com/cgi-bin/featuredClips.cgi

I'm genuinely stunned by how much I like this. I loved East 17, and some of their songs are still well worth a listen (Stay Another Day, the greatest Christmas song ever...add that embarassed smile here again), but I really didn't except anything like this. Very impressed.

Also, for any hip-hop fans, have a listen to that third track down by Plan B. Essentially Eminem with a British accent, but it's very good - done with an acoustic guitar too, which if done right (as it is here) can be fantastic.

So uhh...enjoy. Or mock me for liking a song by Brian Harvey.

Daaaaaaan

I wouldn't mock you for liking Brian Harvey, christ, I've got a Teletubbies album (not ironic-probably a good thing) but I don't like that. It's just a bit...bleh.

Speaking of East 17, though, the video for their christmas song is absolutely brilliant. The one where they're all in white outfits in space.

boki

East 17 were way better than those bed-wetting toss artists Take Twat, that's for sure.

Utter Shit

Definitely. I fucking loved East 17 back then. I still think they were a cut above the other pop of the time though, that Tony Mortimer fella had an ear for good tunes, one of their albums (Up All Night) is crammed with fantastically catchy tunes and delicious samples of old pop tracks. And Harvey has a really good voice, probably doesn't get the credit he deserves. Then again, I guess that's what comes with the boyband territory.

Yeah...East 17 were great. Only the Spice Girls had better production - much as they were five talentless, pointless individuals, the tunes were outrageously catchy. I'm unashamed to say I loved them, even though they were essentially cack.

mayer

East 17 were great but the reason for that was always Mortimer's songs I felt. I'll download the Brian "17 Es" Harvey song when I get back from work though and give my considered opinion then.

LadyDay

Quote from: "mayer"East 17 were great

*worries*

Bernard

E17 still is great, if you don't mind. E17 8QD to be precise.

Utter Shit

Quote from: "mayer"East 17 were great but the reason for that was always Mortimer's songs I felt. I'll download the Brian "17 Es" Harvey song when I get back from work though and give my considered opinion then.
Agreed, it was definitely down to him, moreso than Harvey's vocals. The quality of the music in their songs was great, it was simple, good pop music. Never saw the point of the other two though, they were the East 17 equivalent of Howard Donald and Jason Orange in Take That, but they didn't even dance. Just sort of sat there looking vaguely menacing and bald.

Utter Shit

Incidentally, I can't believe my 1000th post here was about East 17.

Almost Yearly

By funder, I want the thirty seconds I just spent reading this thread back.

"...to the place where horses run." Well, that's got the target 13 year old girly demographic covered.

mayer

"...outside it's raining but inside it's wet"

You're not wrong...

slim

Good god, has the world gone mad?

Utter Shit

What exactly are you all so perplexed about?

boki

Just listened to that new Brian Fackin 'Arvey  song...nah, don't like it.

Steam and House Of Love are still pretty neat, though.

And Let It Rain, that were alright.

Deadman97

A friend of mine once referred to E17 as "Take That with AIDS". Never heard it put better.

Leila

Quote from: "Utter Shit". I loved East 17, and some of their songs are still well worth a listen (Stay Another Day, the greatest Christmas song ever...add that embarassed smile here again).

I never liked East 17 when I was a young lass.

However, I do actually think Stay Another Day is a fantastic song. Tony  Mortimer wrote it about his brother who had killed himself. If you listen to the lyrics with this in mind it does separate the song from the usual nonsense christmas boyband ballads.

Ciarán2

When I think East 17, I think..."Slow it daaaaahhhhhnnn".

They had a good album - "Steam" (1994). My little sister had it. I found it impossible to deny that it was good. "Around The World" - that was great. That was their real moment. That and "Deep".

mayer

Oh my god... that Brian Harvey song is utter toss. Sorry.

Utter Shit

Quote from: "Ciarán"When I think East 17, I think..."Slow it daaaaahhhhhnnn".

They had a good album - "Steam" (1994). My little sister had it. I found it impossible to deny that it was good. "Around The World" - that was great. That was their real moment. That and "Deep".
Yeah, that Steam album was good too. One of the first albums I ever bought, I think. That last song was really odd, a trend they continued on the next album where the final track was a weird load of rubbish, then about 15 minutes solid of a loop of Mortimer saying "War, it's all over".

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Utter Shit"Yeah, that Steam album was good too. One of the first albums I ever bought, I think.

That's refreshing to hear. Don't go and spoil it all by saying "No, hang on. Actually the first album I ever bought was an early pressing of "Bleach" by Nirvana..."

The first album I ever bought was "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Trotsky Assort - er, Elton John.

;-)

Neil

Sounds like a homeopathic version of shit-period Stevie Wonder.

Paaaaul

East 17 were Take That for chavs