Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Indie DJ Night In Bristol - Saturday 13th March

Started by Rich_C, March 05, 2004, 07:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_C

Attention all Bristol residents! Sick of going to the same old tired indie nights where they play the same boring stuff every week? Want to go somewhere else with better tunes but don't know where to go? Now there is an alternative! There will be a vinyl only indie night at The White Bear pub, St Michael's Hill on Saturday 13th March. The music starts at 8 and finishes at 11:30. I'm sure all you lot won't be convinced just by this, so I'll give a run down of what you'll be likely to hear.

Expect to hear:

The Cooper Temple Clause
Oceansize
Million Dead
Biffy Clyro
Muse
Hope Of The States
Queens Of The Stone Age
The Mars Volta
The White Stripes
David Bowie
The Sleepy Jackson
Franz Ferdinand
Grandaddy
The Killers
Doves
The Polyphonic Spree
Kasabian
Blur
Yo La Tengo
The Music
The Smiths
South
Six By Seven
Talk Talk
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Strokes
Longwave
Clearlake
The Datsuns
Lostprophets
The Vines
The Flaming Lips
The Rapture
Jimi Hendrix
My Bloody Valentine
Radiohead
Four Tet
Seachange
Spacemen 3

and much more.... may even pop one of the Bushwhacked mixes in there.

Thanks a lot for taking the time out to read and I hope you're able to come to our night!
See ya there!
Rich and Sam

Uncle_Z

:whimper: You don't even want to buy us dinner first?

pretty dead boy

if it wasn't hundreds of miles away, and if you'd promise to play losing touch with my mind by spacemen 3 and nothing much to lose by the valentines, i'd come, and i wouldn't even push over the decks when you played muse or the cooper temple clause.

please bump this when it's happened to say whether it was any good, and successful.  i'm too nervous to put on a night but if i knew it might go down well ...

european son

Quote from: "Rich_C"Attention all Bristol residents! Sick of going to the same old tired indie nights where they play the same boring stuff every week?

one of my best mates DJs in Bristol twice a week, so  i'm not sure how i should take that. he damn near sells out Propaganda every Wednesday night at Level, and didn't need to register on a comedy message board just to tell people about it.

king mob

I'll come if you play Duran Duran & Human League, its just down the road from me anyhow.

I passed the Level the other week witnessing a very violent clash outside, it may be full but its not somewhere i'd like to go as its not the first time i've seen thugs kick the crap out of each other outside it.

Uncle_Z

Does Kandi Klub / Klub Kute still run?  Down by Mud Dock last time I was around.  Never got any hostility when I was there (well, the bouncers threatened to twat me when it was at Powerhouse, but that's cos I emptied the fruit machine)

european son

Quote from: "king mob"
I passed the Level the other week witnessing a very violent clash outside, it may be full but its not somewhere i'd like to go as its not the first time i've seen thugs kick the crap out of each other outside it.

i've heard things like that about it, i've not been to Propaganda myself since it moved from the Cooler, but that sort of thing all depends on the people who are in the place. Level's always been a shirt 'n' stella drum & bass/garage joint, but on a wednesday night (i'm told) its full of drunk fluffy indie-kid students, who are more likely to piss you off by dancing to Jet then by smacking you.

the DJ at Klub Kute was a nice (old-ish) bloke called George, not sure if that's still running, but he's always doing one or two nights somewhere, last i heard he did one night a week at the Warehouse (which used to be called The Old Porthouse)

Ramshackle's always good too, on a Friday night at the Academy, cheap drinks and more indiepop than you can shake a stick at.

Rich_C

Quote from: "european son"

one of my best mates DJs in Bristol twice a week, so  i'm not sure how i should take that. he damn near sells out Propaganda every Wednesday night at Level, and didn't need to register on a comedy message board just to tell people about it.

Ah! Good ol' DJ Dan! I've spoken to him once and asked him why he doesn't play that many new bands and he said that he had to cater to the masses. Fair enough really, but it's a shame that there aren't any nights where you can go and maybe hear something you haven't heard before... that's good obviously! About posting on here... I did have to do a bit of advertising, but I did used to post here before I lost my net access in my room. I had to reregister though as I couldn't log in with my old account (did they wipe the userlist in the last 3 months?) Anyway, I knew that there were a few Bristolians on here and I thought you may actually want to know about it (well... I hoped anyway!).

Propaganda at Level isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It's not the Cooler, but onwards and upwards for Dan, eh? As for the Academy, I just don't like the place. Cheap drinks though (at Ramshackle at least - it's about £3.50 a pint during gigs)! Anyway, I do hope people come down if they're interested. See you there!

european son

Quote from: "Rich_C"About posting on here... I did have to do a bit of advertising, but I did used to post here before I lost my net access in my room. I had to reregister though as I couldn't log in with my old account (did they wipe the userlist in the last 3 months?) Anyway, I knew that there were a few Bristolians on here and I thought you may actually want to know about it (well... I hoped anyway!).

ah, sorry mate... i saw that was your first post and mistook you for a spammer... apologies, i'll try and give your night a look next time i'm in the area. good luck with it!

Uncle_Z

:shame:  Yup, guilty here too.  Looked like a drive-by with it being your first post.  Anyway you got the pimpage and there is a good dose of "other Bristol Indie venues are available" stuff thrown in too.

How far up St. Michaels are you? (my legs are old) Is it going to be a regular sesh? (I'm no longer resident but am due a pilgrimage soon)

Rich_C

Quote from: "Uncle_Z":shame:  Yup, guilty here too.  Looked like a drive-by with it being your first post.  Anyway you got the pimpage and there is a good dose of "other Bristol Indie venues are available" stuff thrown in too.

How far up St. Michaels are you? (my legs are old) Is it going to be a regular sesh? (I'm no longer resident but am due a pilgrimage soon)

If I were you I would've thought the same, but I haven't had net access for a while and assumed my old username would work. Anyway, it's near the top of St. Michael's Hill, just before the Somerfield but on the opposite side of the road. Nice little pub with a good atmosphere and interesting cool stuff on the walls. This is our first night, but if this goes well, it will be a regular fixture (weekly, or maybe fortnightly). That's why I'm pushing to promote this night. I've posted on 2 message boards (ones that I frequent - I'm not a bloody spammer) and we'll get some flyers up this week. There aren't many indie nights whereit's all vinyl, so it may be interesting. I want to play Osymyso - Intro Inspection (I've got it on 12"), but my mate doesn't think it'll fit with the indie theme (the bastard!). I may sneak it in though!

Rich_C