Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:00:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Confetti

Started by Fishbulb, December 11, 2005, 02:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbulb

Improvised comedy film, due out April 21st in the UK, May 26th in the US (tentative dates)

Plot description: A sharp and affectionate comedy featuring an ensemble of UK comedic talents, "Confetti" follows three couples as they duke it out to win a bridal magazine contest for "Most Original Wedding of the Year." The talented cast -- which includes Martin Freeman ("The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," "Love Actually," "The Office"), Jessica Stevenson ("Shaun of the Dead," "Spaced," "The Royle Family," Stephen Mangan ("Green Wing"), Felicity Montagu ("I'm Alan Partridge"), award-winning comedian Jimmy Carr in his first screen performance and Alison Steadman ("Topsy-Turvy," "Life is Sweet") -- was afforded total creative freedom within the confines of a carefully crafted story frame. To prepare, the cast took part in weeks of intense workshops where they began the process of developing and inhabiting their unique roles.

Trailer can be watched here .
It looks pretty funny, and it seems like a British attempt to make a Christopher Guest type of film.  Besides the cast members listed above, the movie also stars Robert Webb, Olivia Colman, Julia Davis, Mark Heap, Marc Wooton, and Meredith MacNeill (from Man Stroke Woman).

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Fishbulb"Julia Davis, Marc Wooton, and Meredith MacNeill (from Man Stroke Woman).
And theeeeeeeeeere goes the film.

Neil

QuoteMeredith MacNeill

Why?  How?  Why and how?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

That Voice: The Movie

Godzilla Bankrolls

Fuck me, I knew it was "a British attempt to make a Christopher Guest type of film", but did they have to copy his stuff note-for-note?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

'This is the bed, where the...sex happens...' Oh fuck off wth your Patridgisms, Mangan.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

If you banned all comedy writers/actors from watching American comedy for five years, do you reckon British comedy would be better?

Bert Thung

Jimmy Carr's face now fifty foot wide, how enticing.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Did anyone see some interview with Jimmy Carr with, I think it was J Ross? He was asked how him being in a film (maybe this one) came about and he said something along the lines of 'Oh, I don't understand how any comedian can get a phone call asking if they want to be in a big hollywood film and say 'ooh, no I've got something else on''. That annoyed me, maybe some comedians don't want to be film actors Jimmy, maybe they want to be comedians. Which is why they are comedians. Not film actors. And what kind of idiot takes a part in a film just because it's a part in a film, does the content not affect the decision at all?

Clinton Morgan

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt""a British attempt to make a Christopher Guest type of film"

But I bet it's shot with on HD with a button switched to "film look".

Fishbulb

Uk Trailer (Warning: Contains nudity)

Wow...I never thought I'd see Robert Webb and Olivia Colman in the nuddy, for real. Eye-opening.

Quote from: "Fishbulb"Wow...I never thought I'd see Robert Webb and Olivia Colman in the nuddy, for real. Eye-opening.
It's not a pleasant sight.  The film itself looks very Christopher Guest but if that's the best stuff in the trailer it doesn't bode well.

Mr. Analytical

She's pleasantly shaped...

It looks very "Best in Show"-ish doesn't it?

The funny thing is that bit about the woman having the most astonishing nostrils... that's EXACTLY what I thought.  They're hypnotic.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"

It looks very "Best in Show"-ish doesn't it?

'Really? I can't say we really noticed...' - Every fucker who's in this film

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Isn't Meredith MacNeill just Edward and Tubbs's long-lost daughter?

Bert Thung

What would you say the dictionary definition of  "That Voice" is?  

Here's my attempt. Please amend where necessary

That Voice - A form of comedic delivery where a sentence begins with confidence, which then disintegrates as the sentences reaches a conclusion. This can be, but not always, associated with embarressment about discussing something of a sexual nature. An accompaniment of raised eyebrows, floor staring and hand waving often obligitary.

Musicoutoftrousers

And elliptical pauses at random intervals.

Edit: Then again, one of my favourite examples (Pegg's 'We're On Hollydayyyyyyy' from GHP) doesn't have pauses or a lack of confidence. It's just the intonation. The flat extension of particular sounds.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

There are at least four That Voices: the Jeremy Clarkson/Alan Partridge/Simon Pegg voice, the Nick Frost/David Brent voice, the faux-yokel John Oliver voice, and the 'needles to say' trailing-off-and-shrugging thing. But they all merge into one another, so I think of it as one voice. None of those voices really existed until about 1997, though.

The Duck Man

Best example of "The Voice" ever in the that trailer:

Stephen Mangan: This is the bed where the...sex...happens.

Chris K

QuoteBest example of "The Voice" ever in the that trailer

Wow you really fucked up your articles/pronouns there.

The Duck Man

Yes, yes I did! Well done for noticing!

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"There are at least four That Voices: the Jeremy Clarkson/Alan Partridge/Simon Pegg voice, the Nick Frost/David Brent voice, the faux-yokel John Oliver voice, and the 'needles to say' trailing-off-and-shrugging thing. But they all merge into one another, so I think of it as one voice.

So is "That Voice" a specifically South of England phenomena?  London media sorts in the East, faux-yokels in the west. I can't rememeber anyone speaking like that on, say, Phoenix Nights.

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"None of those voices really existed until about 1997, though.

I've always thought that an early version of "That Voice" was the delivery of Dawn French. That ex-public schoolgirl, arms straight with a pretending to be repressed  but really very confident voice. In fact Sandi Toksvig is an even better example of it.  She practically contorts her body to speak in that pretending-to-be-shy way.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Chris K"Wow you really fucked up your articles/pronouns there.

Don't tease him.  It's not his fault he's an illiterate moron.

URGH I HATE STREAMING THINGS!!!

I've tried to watch it twice but the picture just pauses.  The first time it paused on Jimmy Carr, which wasn't pleasant.  Then the second time it paused on Coleman and Webb naked, which was less unpleasant than Carr but still not great.

Then I gave up.

Looks like a fun film, though.  What's wrong with "That Voice", anyway?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Bert Thung"So is "That Voice" a specifically South of England phenomena?  London media sorts in the East, faux-yokels in the west. I can't rememeber anyone speaking like that on, say, Phoenix Nights.

As I've said before, Kitson lapses into it quite a bit, and he's very Northern.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Bump.

This has had lukewarm/shit reviews everywhere. Take that, that voice!

What's that, thewomb? You want me to 'take a pop' at Ricky Gervais? Alright, boys and girls, here I go:

Hey, I bet if Ricky Gervais had devised and starred in Confetti there'd be lots of fake stories in the press about Christopher Guest seeing it and proclaiming it 'even better than Spinal Tap'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Kermode rated it on Simon Mayo today, but then he's a twat and he said Green Wing was hilarious.

Little Hoover

Is there any reason this film need to be improvised other than the fact that it's in fashion, or at least it was when they concieved of it. I mean the premise is fine but it's not anything that lends itself especially to improv. Could they just not be botherd to write a proper script or something.

Tommy Trumpet

Well... you could say that about anything, surely... it's not as if there's anything special about Spinal Tap or Best In Show that meant they had to be improvised...

In the end people will only care whether it's good or not.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I imagine it was improvised because (a) they could sell it as 'a British Christopher Guest movie' and (b) they secretly thought it would quite easy to do.

Little Hoover

Quote from: "Tommy Trumpet"Well... you could say that about anything, surely... it's not as if there's anything special about Spinal Tap or Best In Show that meant they had to be improvised...
But that was some people who really had a passion and talent for that kind of thing doing what they wanted to do. And I don't know I do think Spinal Tap lends itself better to it's style, behind the scenes band documentary is something you'll actually see so it's logical to parody it's style with natrualism.
But with this it just seems arbitary. And of course it's not a group of friends getting together. It's all made by producers, which is why it seems so obvious that it's been made like this for the reasons lalla has said.