Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Hi, my name is..."

Started by Banana Woofwoof, December 15, 2005, 11:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menguin

I luckily escaped being called Karris* and for a short time was going to be called Nikita, which promptly got used for my cousin.  I don't have a middle name which I feel a bit short changed by.  My younger brother and sister got one* (admittedly my dads name and the female version of it) but it seems it was forgotten for me.  

My sister's name is Anita, which suits her really well.  Sort of bubbly, smiley and girly.  Very pink or perhaps yellow.  Any other names that you associate with particular colours?

*appologies if you are called Karris or have/will have a relative/child called the same.  

*each-my parents weren't that economical with names.  

Captain Crunch

Charis?  Born around '73 were you?

Weirdzo

round here we mostly call slim fucking cunt but still...

Weirdzo

Joy Nktonga

Another Matthew/Matt/Mat here. Yawn, but I'd not change it. It seems as if there are more of us here than any other name. I might be wrong. Like that "I've got a new car and now every other car I see is inexplicably the same colour as my new one" thing.
slim: Connor Rea. More seriously: Solomon Thorogood III. Splendid.

Call yourself Chastity Bumgardener before I get the deed poll out for myself.

FACT! I changed my name by deed poll this year.  Not to Chastity Bumgardener, though.

If you want a new name, just listen to Saturday Night Fry, which is littered with the best names ever.

slim

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Benedict Frontbottom
Tempting...

Quote from: "Weirdzo"fucking cunt
Me mam won't let me...

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"Solomon Thorogood III
Oooh... Like that one. Solomon would make me sound like an angry cop turned bad.

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Call yourself Chastity Bumgardener before I get the deed poll out for myself.
Chastity?! How would I get any good bumgardening done with a name like that? :)

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"If you want a new name, just listen to Saturday Night Fry, which is littered with the best names ever.

Ted Cunterblast. That was ALBoFaL, I think, but it makes me laugh.

Frinky

I am a Matthew Clark.

I am a nice, well-mannered, middle class boy with a good upbringing in a middle-class home, middle-class parents. I was always going to be a Matthew Clark. It's a nice name. For nice boys.

There you go.

Hairy Chin

After reading page one, I've now found out that I'm not cool.

Although, if my parents weren't dissuaded (sp?) or bribed, I'd have been called Hamish; so in the uncool stakes, I think I got off lightly.

Derek Trucks

Hello, I'm Gavin and I'm an accountant.

I have therefore also become a walking comedy sketch from the 70s.

V

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you... Andrew. A name which stirs only indifference within me.

My Mum wanted to call me 'Heath' though, so a narrow fucking escape there...

Quote from: "Derek Trucks"Hello, I'm Gavin and I'm an accountant.

I have therefore also become a walking comedy sketch from the 70s.

Y'know, somewhere out there there must be a real Arthur Putey.  I wonder how he's turned out- defiant lion tamer or submissive accountant?

Lee

Or submissive lion tamer?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "V"My Mum wanted to call me 'Heath' though, so a narrow fucking escape there...
Indeed.  Ask anyone who hung round The Square in Harlow in the mid-late 80s.  Poor guy.

Frinky

Quote from: "V"My Mum wanted to call me 'Heath' though, so a narrow fucking escape there...

Except if you lived in london and were all thin and guitary, then all the indie girls would love you, Heef.

gazzyk1ns

I have the worst "I was nearly called..." I've ever heard. My dad wanted to call me 'Merrian'. He's not Welsh but his dad sort of was and he loves Wales and Welsh names. He settled for Gareth for those of you who don't know. I don't really like it, but it could have been worse so I don't mind it that much. I've not got a middle name, so not having to bother with that goes a little way to making up for it.

Make me smile

Quote from: "menguin"I luckily escaped being called Karris

Carys is a lovely name! As long as it is spelt that way.

I also think Emily is a lovely name.

I would have been called Zoe if I was a girl.

MMS has been drinking from 11 this morning

falafel

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"ALBoFaL

Taking the acronym to new extremes...

Sulphagne

I think I'm starting to like Peter, after all this time. In high school I shared the name with a couple of utter bastards, and I still cringe at every mention of Australian federal treasurer Peter Costello (pictured, right), but aside from leaving all of the above well behind, moving to Edinburgh has helped me meet the first thoroughly decent Pete(r) I've ever encountered. The slight downside, name-wise, is that my reason for coming here was to move into a flat with two (now three) people from an online circle of friends, all of whom know me as Pete for reasons of convenient usernamery... which is fine online, but now I've got three flatmates who insist on calling me Pete out loud, which really doesn't suit me. I'd have politely asked them to change a long time ago, but they're both known by their far stranger (although thankfully easily pronouncable) IRC nicks too, so I can't really complain.

I'm not much of a regular here, so I can't say I've gotten to know any of my namesakes on this thread at all (SurferGhost, Culture Bunker and peet), but would any of you support or deny my baseless theory that being named Peter more often than not leads to a life of self-deprecation? I'd say it describes my life thus far better than any other name could have... I get all sorts of big ideas, but in the end they all just sort of peter out.

Google revealed a while back that I share my full name with a man who looks exactly how I would if I was about eight years older and far more conventionally handsome (he was a photo double for Christian Bale a few years back, after all). His passion these days is working on his gloriously awful comic book that is going to make him a Hollywood megastar:

QuoteSCORPINO:in DEMAND?! "Hollywood" interested in Scorpino Project/Creator. But what about PBS, and ???

It'll be a tough name to live up to, I'm sure of it.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "falafel"
Quote from: "Lt Plonker"ALBoFaL

Taking the acronym to new extremes...

And I got it wrong. It should be ABoFaL.

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"What about those BASTARD FUCKING CUNTS who DARE to have the same name and surname as you?
<David Gray photo>

You think you've got problems.

Melth

I'm Ed but, ever-increasingly, Edward. I hated both as a child. "Edward" I associated with a bunch of weak / anonymous English kings and hated the dissonance of it anyway. Nowadays, I'm just satisfied that it's relatively neutral. I was almost called "Oliver" which I'd have preferred. My surname is, however, atrocious - 90 percent of the time, I have to repeat it to people I've just met and then have to spell it to them - although it's a relatively common name in Ireland so I'm told. Must get around to changing it.

I have a  friend who was almost called "Broadway."

Frinky

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"If I'd been a girl I'd have been called Verity Elizabeth.

I knew a girl called Verity Annison - she was very, very prim in a frumpy sort of way. Went on to study English, if I recall right.

Frinky

I have a friend called Timothy David Bolitho-Jones.

Nothing like he sounds.

Almost Yearly

I've known a disproportionate number of Pollys (4). Rather than skipping about in gingham dresses, they've all been sneaky shaggers.

Frinky

Polly always sounded pretty whorish to me, actually.

Helens. They're always a bit sex-mad too, from what I remember. I suppose that depends on where you take the "Helen" stereotype from, though.

falafel

TraceyQ

Thick slapper with a mobile hairdressing business. Sums me up beautifully, I'd say.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Frinky"Polly always sounded pretty whorish to me, actually.

No, I won't have that! I know a very nice Polly. But then it's not her real name anyway, so perhaps it's what you're christened that counts.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "Frinky"Polly always sounded pretty whorish to me, actually.

No, I won't have that! I know a very nice Polly. But then it's not her real name anyway, so perhaps it's what you're christened that counts.

No, I know a Polly and she's more likely to develop obsessive crushes on men than lust after them.  

Polly sounds like the kind of name a Playschool presenter should have, anyway.