Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Hi, my name is..."

Started by Banana Woofwoof, December 15, 2005, 11:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horny Womble

I was nearly christened Jason, but my dad chose my name.if you think that's bad my sister Catherine was almost called Tabitha.

SurferGhost

Quote from: "mook"I had a lucky escape by being born with nads, had I not I was to be named Buffy after some folk singer apparently.
Buffy Sainte Marie...?

Quote from: "Gazeuse"Time makes a difference too...My Auntie Em was a little Cockney lady who used to say 'orspiddle' instead of 'hospital.' It's got very fashionable now.
Your Auntie Em was Irene Handl and I claim my videotape of Maggie And Her.

Richey Edwards of the Manic Street Preachers, being born on 22nd of December, was almost called Christmas.  I doubt there would have been a Cult of Christmas had this come to pass.

The Culture Bunker

I'm a bit funny about my name - Peter - as most people shorten it to 'Pete' and it irritates me greatly for reasons I'm not sure about. I think it's because I just don't see myself as a 'Pete', whatever that means.
My parents did consider Matthew, which would have been strange as the first part of my surname is "Matt" - would have ended up sounding like a Marvel comic character or something.

Bogey

Apparently if I'd been a girl I'd've been called Morag. Which would obviously have necessitated fleeing to the Highlands and becoming a fishwife or washerwoman, despite not having a drop of Scots blood in me.
As it is, I share a name with an infamous shouting ex No.10 spin-doctor chappie. I'm exactly like him too.

SurferGhost

What about the shortening aspect, the difference between a Richard and a Richey, or indeed a Dick. A Thomas and a Tom.

I'm a Pete, not a Peter*. A disproportionate number of Peters tend to be serial killers, I've noticed, while Petes tend to be cool and cerebral creative types who front rock bands and... oh yeah, bad example perhaps, on a number of counts.

*shut it

EDIT: oops, sorry CB...

mayer

Quote from: Partridge's Love ChildNeville Neville, father of the famous footballing brothers.

Or [PLUMLEY DOG-FATTER], father of the famous [PLUMLEY DOG-FATTER JR]. He's got a good excuse though.

23 Daves

A poor stand-up comedian (whose name escapes me) once observed that all Daves were likely to be "skinny, dark haired and work in IT".  Well, I'm dark haired and slim (though not as slim as I used to be), but I'm not in IT.

In any case, Dave to me sounds like the name of a geez-ah.  The kind of chap who'd help you fix your car at the weekends, be part of a good five-a-side football team, and know a bit of martial arts if he got in any bother.  The parallel opposite of me, then.

God knows what I should have been called, though.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Remember when Adrian Mole was told he was originally going to be called Brett? He 'lay awake all night thinking about the phantom child', and later took comfort from his grandmother's words: 'She said Brett sounded a nasty piece of work'.

PrecociousCunt

In retrospect my parents would probably admit 'Precocious' was a bit harsh, but what can you do with surname like mine?

Samuel - Sam,  fine could have been worse. Nice formal/informal abbreviation.

The Duck Man

My surname's Peter, so my parents decided not to called me Chris.

Mister Cairo

I was nearly going to be called fucking Rupert.

Thankfully sanity prevailed and I was called Richard instead.

Musicoutoftrousers

My dad was stoned a lot during the late eighties and I almost ended up with Red. I don't think I would've minded that after I'd got through the years of lame infant school bullying. Well, I've always assumed there would've been bullying, but never thought how exactly. By the age I am now, I think I'd enjoy being called Red, what with it's turn-of-the-century America connotations.

My mom always wanted Aaron (dunno how it would've been pronounced exactly). That would've been fine at the time, but I'd feel like a plastic paddy by this age (we have no Irish links whatsoever), especially if they'd plumped for the more Celtic Air-ron pronunciation.

In the end, a compromise of sorts was reached which resulted in Jed. I'm not sure about it really. I think most people on here get perceptions about their name from people they share it with. I don't really get that because I only know of two other Jeds, one of whom is a guy a few years below me at school, and the other is a Co-General Manager of the Boston Red Sox. I know nothing about the character of either of them, so I have no real opinion on the name.

My surname is a bit rubbish, long, odd and obscure sounding even though it isn't as rare as you'd think. The good thing is that it gets spelled in a lot of different ways, so I might alter the spelling later in life to one with more needless letters and perhaps an accent or two.

mook

I think Jed's a bloody good name.

See.

It might start off a bit rough, you know not being able to keep your family fed and all that, but just wait until you go "shooting at some food" 'cos then."Up from the ground come's a bubbling crude." And from there on in, it's just swimming pools, movie stars, Beverly Hills etc.

You've got it made if you're called Jed.

You might want to watch out for your neighbours though.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"We have a John Thomas at work.

My latter two names are John Thomas. My grandad and uncle also go by that name. Perhaps this particular penile euphemism didn't make it to Wales years back.

My sister named my nephew 'Kian', without knowing that my parents were originally going to call *me* that (but maybe with the cooler Celtic spelling 'Cian'). As it was, they lazily named me Alex. Not Alexander. Just Alex. Could be worse, I've got a cousin called Harry (not Harold).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My names Jack and was always going to be called Jack. The fact it's only one syllable meant that I've never had a nickname because I wasn't cool enough for people to call me 'Jacko', though these days, that's certainly a good thing.
My middle names slightly rarer, as it's 'Nathaniel'.

I don't know why, but there's a proven history of parents just using the middle name option as a testing bed for shit names. So many people I know have middle names they detest.

Suttonpubcrawl

People seem to have a lot of trouble with shortening my name. By that I mean, they'll start colling me Rob or something, then ask me if I mind. I reply "No, I don't mind at all, you can pretty much call me anything you want if it's not insulting!" and then they seem to become very uneasy about calling me anything other than Robin! I don't get it, it's as if they think I've just said "No you cunt, call me Robin and nothing else." I genuinely don't mind people calling me Rob, Robster, Robbie or whatever (that said, if anyone called me Bob I'd kill them - I have some self respect you know). I don't think of myself as any of those names, I'd only ever refer to myself as Robin, but if someone else wants to use any of them that's fine, I welcome it if it's done in a friendly way.

hulahoops

I think my parents must have got it wrong.  All the other Brenda's I've ever met in my life have been large, middle-aged black school cafeteria ladies, or rat-like middle-aged ginger bank tellers.   Or, on television, they're psychotic bitches like the one off Beverly Hills 90210, whose surname is also distressingly similar to mine.  

I am none of these things (I hope), but I suppose it's just as well, because other people with my name freak me out badly.  It's like they've stolen something from me.  I'm not sure I could handle being called something like Kate or Sarah, where every third person you meet will have the same name.

My mother's boyfriend's got a brother called Gaylord.  That's just wrong.

Almost Yearly

I would have been Nicola if I was a girl. Sounds like a right dirty cow to me.

With Rosco we went for something which, if he didn't want to be a lead guitarist / surfer, no-one need ever know his name's not Ross. But even Ross means from the peninsula, or horse, so he'll end up a Penzance smackhead.

Rubella

Quote from: "mook"I think Jed's a bloody good name.

See.

(picture)

It might start off a bit rough, you know not being able to keep your family fed and all that, but just wait until you go "shooting at some food" 'cos then."Up from the ground come's a bubbling crude." And from there on in, it's just swimming pools, movie stars, Beverly Hills etc.

You've got it made if you're called Jed.

You might want to watch out for your neighbours though.

NO NO NO!  Jed's smell of poo.  Well at least the one at my primary school did and has tainted the name forever more.

Aaron's have all been ginger and should all be ginger.

Every Zoe and Natalie I've met has been a bitch.  Although Natalie is my middle name but I'm not a bitch so I think the power of the name fades if its a middle name.

Quote from: "hulahoops"

My mother's boyfriend's got a brother called Gaylord.  That's just wrong.

Vote Randy Gaylord!

hulahoops

Quote from: "Rubella"Every Zoe and Natalie I've met has been a bitch.  Although Natalie is my middle name but I'm not a bitch so I think the power of the name fades if its a middle name.

My middle name's Natalie too.  Though combined with the general bitchiness of all other Brenda's I've ever come across, I think I'm doomed.

I do have intermittent struggles with my name.

Amanda just sounds so posh, as if daddy bought me a pony for my 6th birthday.  I feel as though I should wear tailored suit jackets with vibrant scarves, and be much taller, slimmer and leggier than I am.  I am only ever Amanda at work, because I think it sounds more professional than the alternative.

Which is of course, Mandy.  Jolly, tarty, stupid ignorant Mandy,  Mandies are slappers.  They are probably pregnant at 15, and leave school to look after the evil spawn of their drug dealer boyfirend, having no qualifications and no chance of a career whatsoever.

But at least that is better than Mand, or Mands.  If anyone calls me those I will punch them in the face.  In fact the only good thing about my name is the meaning - worthy of love - which is quite nice.

So, I don't really feel like either the long ro short version of my name.  If I were to pick a name that I feel like it would probably be Tess, Jennifer (Jen), or Rachel.   None are really names I like, but they feel like me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hello Mum!

(Subtext: My mums called Amanda and feels the same way about the name as you.)

difbrook

My full first names are William Walter. My mother wanted to call me Stuart, but the weight of family tradition dragged her off course - the story goes that her husband's mother took her to one side and sternly told her "there's been a William Walter in the family line for centuries, and you're not going to be the one to change it". She says now that she should have told them where to stick it, but at the time she didn't have the strength).

Not only that, but the same family tradition insisted that we all use our middle name, So I'm Walter.

and I do honestly feel that I am a Walter, with all the negative connotations the name carries with it. I look like a Walter, and I occasionally behave like the one in the Beano as well.

Whereas if I'd been born a Stuart, I'd have been born with steely determination, would be charming and witty and outgoing, and generally the life of every gathering.

as it is, I'm stuck with it now, or "Walt" if I'm lucky. I quite like the fact that a lot of people call me "Walty", which demonstrates a certain amount of affection, to my mind at least!

But I'd have preferred to be called Stuart.

oohhh, I suppose Amanda could be a kind of sexy mum name.  I shall just have to wait until I am older, when all my son's teenage freinds can fancy me rotten.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteall my son's teenage freinds can fancy me rotten.

And that's as far as it ever goes....

Ahhhhh.

Mr Colossal

All lucies ive ever met have black scraped back hair, slightly upturned noses and have a nympho/psychotic split personality to counter their shy inconfident other. A lot of them have that annoying  'ive still got a squeaky child voice' thing too...  Think Jennifer Tilly.

I was named after Mark Hughes (Mark, not Hugh) and have strangely evolved into a similar type footballer- whether it's just a  welsh thing, or some sort of prophecy, i don't know.

But ive never used my christian name, so anybody who does use it instantly  reminds me of school.

Danorak

I'm a bit fussy about my name (Daniel).  It always grates when it's pronounced wrong - when I was growing up in Brighton it was always "Danyawl" which is a horrible noise.  
My dad calls me Danny, but he's the only one allowed to as it makes me sound about 9 and most Dannys I've met have been drunks or market traders so it's Dan or nowt.

Hey, and Barry Manilow named a song after you!

One of my favourite girl names is Eloise, not just because of Barry Ryan.  Elise, Eloise and Aoife.  If I have children I'm going to torture them.

I love Irish names but the likelihood of me having kids with an Englishman is quite high and it just sounds odd.  In my girlish way, I've already tested out my name with Rob's.  Seaneen Britton, for one, is just awful.  My Republican family guffawed when they found out his surname.  I thought they were going to outcast me.

Any other Irish name with a surname like Britton just isn't going to work.  Aoife, Niamh, Orlaith, all equally terrible.

Do you remember Ursula from The Little Mermaid?  She is the template for every Ursula I've ever met.