Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:23:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Hi, my name is..."

Started by Banana Woofwoof, December 15, 2005, 11:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "Mr Colossal"All lucies ive ever met have black scraped back hair, slightly upturned noses and have a nympho/psychotic split personality to counter their shy inconfident other. A lot of them have that annoying  'ive still got a squeaky child voice' thing too...  Think Jennifer Tilly.

Absolutely spot on with the Lucy there!  All the Lucys I know are exactly like that!  I know one who is completely and utterly what you described, to the letter.

Borboski

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"

One of my favourite girl names is Eloise, not just because of Barry Ryan.  Elise, Eloise and Aoife.  If I have children I'm going to torture them.

Hey, I like the name Elise too.  Hmm, let me note that down for future kiddy naming.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My name is Richard Thomas Williams, so immediately at school I got called dick willy. Then later on, Thomas became rhyming slang for 'wank', which was even better.

The etymology of names is something that I find quite interesting. Apparently Richard means 'brave leader', which is ironic considering how wet and disorganised I am.

Rubella

Quote from: "Danorak"I'm a bit fussy about my name (Daniel).  It always grates when it's pronounced wrong - when I was growing up in Brighton it was always "Danyawl" which is a horrible noise.  
My dad calls me Danny, but he's the only one allowed to as it makes me sound about 9 and most Dannys I've met have been drunks or market traders so it's Dan or nowt.

How else do you pronounce Daniel?  Dan-ee-ell?

Danorak

Quote from: "Rubella"
Quote from: "Danorak"I'm a bit fussy about my name (Daniel).  It always grates when it's pronounced wrong - when I was growing up in Brighton it was always "Danyawl" which is a horrible noise.  
My dad calls me Danny, but he's the only one allowed to as it makes me sound about 9 and most Dannys I've met have been drunks or market traders so it's Dan or nowt.

How else do you pronounce Daniel?  Dan-ee-ell?
Yeah, but with a little less emphasis on the last two syllables than that.
I said I was fussy about it.

Bogey

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Aoife

Now Seaneen, piece of piss, but how on earth do you pronounce that one?

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Bogey"
Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Aoife

Now Seaneen, piece of piss, but how on earth do you pronounce that one?

Ah, it is a bit tricky to explain in writing.  The closest I can articulate is, "Eef-ah".

I really like the name Padraig, so good luck on working that one out, because I'm not going to help you.

If we ever have a son, I want to call him Padraig.  My missus doesn't like it, which is at least one bargaining tool I have to try and avoid ever having a horrible little squelcher.  The threat that I'll give it a name she doesn't like and can't pronounce is very real.

Padráig's an alright name, I guess.  It's a bit snotty, I think, but that's probably because the Padráig's I knew were wet, snotty little cunts.  Except for my Uncle, like.

Craig Torso

It's pronounced 'Porrig', isn't it?  Or have I gleefully wandered into trap?

Musicoutoftrousers

QuoteNO NO NO!  Jed's smell of poo.  Well at least the one at my primary school did and has tainted the name forever more.

Hey! My bowel hygiene is of the very highest quality, I'll have you know.

Depends, different dialects pronouce it in different ways.  I was taught it as "Pod-rig" but it varies.

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I really like the name Padraig, so good luck on working that one out, because I'm not going to help you.
Pádraig. The 'a' is a stretched accent, and the 'd' is softened. Sounds like 'PAW-rig".

See?  And I accented it wrongly as well.  Ha, GCSE Irish my arse.

My best chum is a Bogtrotter and continually corrects my pronounciation of "Pádraig", which amuses me seen as I say it in exactly the same way as she does.  Only deeper, obviously.  I'm dead manly, me.  Grrrr.

Funnily enough, she has a friend called Ger, which I've taken to pronouncing "Grrrr", though apparently that's wrong.  I'll probably never meet him though, so Grrrr is is.

Jemble Fred

Jeremy is a terrible name, suggesting one of the comedy British airmen from Allo Allo or something – but that's okay because the only two people in the world who still call me it are my Mum and an ex-girlfriend (who, in the spirit of the forum today, I should point out are two different people).

What about those BASTARD FUCKING CUNTS who DARE to have the same name and surname as you? My full name is hardly common, but there's some git in Wales who uses the same Christian name abberviation and has the same surname, and even directs movies, so they stand a chance of becoming famous with MY NAME.

I might hunt them down and – despatch.

I might go and read all about his career.

Jemble Fred

To be honest, they might be a lady. It's one of those names. I wouldn't mind so much if she's a Jemima or something. Perhaps we can make love to create the ultimate person with our name.

No! NO!

I love your name, I think it really suits you.  Jem. It's just really nice.

ffogems

I was going to be called Jagger, but Jordan was what was settled on, named after the Manchester United footballer Joe Jordan. Now, if you know of Joe Jordan, you will know that he no front two teeth. When I was eight years old I slipped in the bath and knocked my front two teeth out.
Spoooookkkkyyy eh?

All I want for Christmas etc

Almost Yearly

Jem is by far the best solution to Jeremy, which I would agree is a problem.

Matt Reid was in Berlin (bass I think) and wrote Take My Breath Away.

Quote from: "sick as a pike"Maybe in a while I'll change again.
Neddy, Geddy, or Freddy?

Suttonpubcrawl

I think Jez is a better abbreviation of Jeremy, in honour of Jez Nelson, It'll Never Work presenter. But I don't see what's so bad about the name, it seems alright to me. And think of all the famous people you share it with, Jeremy Beadle, Jeremy Clarkson, Jeremy Irons and of course, Jeremy Sumpter:
http://www.jeremysumpter.com/

Almost Yearly

...and of course, Jez North.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"All lucies ive ever met have black scraped back hair, slightly upturned noses and have a nympho/psychotic split personality to counter their shy inconfident other. A lot of them have that annoying  'ive still got a squeaky child voice' thing too...  Think Jennifer Tilly.

That's odd, the only Lucy I've ever known was blonde, freckly, very tall, slender and glamorous looking.  She was an incredibly snooty cow, though, and she did have a turned up nose.

"Sue" is the ultimate twee-girl name, isn't it?  Susan is about acceptable, Suzanne or Susie fine, but anyone who chooses to call themselves Sue is usually a wee bit limp-wristed.  The kind of person who thinks "men should be men" and "women should be women", and who regards a trip to Ikea as being the highlight of her week.  She should own a lot of questionable floral print dresses as well.

I used to go out with someone called Sue.  You can tell, can't you?

SurferGhost

Quote from: "23 Daves""Sue" is the ultimate twee-girl name, isn't it?

I give you... Wendy.

Yes I once went out with one.

mayer

My mum's a Wendy.... A Wendy Barbara...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "23 Daves""Sue" is the ultimate twee-girl name, isn't it?  Susan is about acceptable, Suzanne or Susie fine, but anyone who chooses to call themselves Sue is usually a wee bit limp-wristed.  The kind of person who thinks "men should be men" and "women should be women", and who regards a trip to Ikea as being the highlight of her week.  She should own a lot of questionable floral print dresses as well.
The only Sue I know is a mostly-gay rough-cut Aussie in her 50s.  Nice lady though.

Surely the "floral print dress" brigade would be Susan.

Nobody's mentioned Sarahs yet.  Or Lynn[e]s.  Or many others.

Suttonpubcrawl

Suzy is a prostitute's name. Come on, you know it is.