Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Hi, my name is..."

Started by Banana Woofwoof, December 15, 2005, 11:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee

My mum deliberately wanted to choose a name for me that no-one would be able to create an insult out of.

At grammar school, the best they could come up with was 'Lee-dophile'. What wit.

Ciarán2

My full name is Ciarán Lawrence Liam Gaynor. Stop sniggering.

Ciarán means "little dark one" in old Irish. Gaynor, in its Irish form, is MacFhionnbharr which means "fair haired son". I like the contradiction there.

I don't get on well wirth my father, we haven't spoken for 5 years. So I prefer to use my mother's maiden name which is McCoy. When possible I am Ciarán McCoy. But that could cause even more hardship for my family if I adopt it properly.

I got teased a lot about that Gaynor name, especially when Gloria Gaynor was in the charts. Someone once called me Queerawn Gaynerd, which I quite like.

So, bullying, then. The source of most of my posts on here probably.

I'm doing my best to avoid a dull rant on post-structuralism, but I think you'd find it interesting BWW. Ah well.

Rich

Supporters of rival clubs enjoy referring to Crystal Palace fans as 'Nigels', which is taken to mean spoddy, round glasses and mac-wearing, pack lunch and thermos to the match-bringing, portable radio during the game-listening, trainspottery types.  I think I've heard people use it generally though, outside of Crystal Palace related contexts.  So, that's Nigel for you anyway.

As for my own name, I'm fairly certain I must be the only person on the planet with it, and if we're including middle names, then it is beyond doubt.  Don't much like it though, so I'm not telling what it is.  My Mum's name is Wray (techinically Mary-Wray, but in reality that's used only for administrative purposes) - anyone else ever come across it?

El Unicornio, mang

I was going to be Raymond but thankfully got the slightly less bad Jonathan, which brings to mind 80s yuppie types. At school I went by Jonny, so of course got the obligitary "can I borrow a rubber, Jonny?".
Now I just go by Jon. Nice and simple.

SurferGhost

Quote from: "surferGhost"I give you... Wendy.

Yes I once went out with one.

Quote from: "mayer"My mum's a Wendy.... A Wendy Barbara...

Uh-oh, that sounds familiar. 1987/88...?

I'm not made of back-maintainence payments you know...

slim

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Remember when Adrian Mole was told he was originally going to be called Brett? He 'lay awake all night thinking about the phantom child', and later took comfort from his grandmother's words: 'She said Brett sounded a nasty piece of work'.
Heh, I thought the same thing when I started reading through this thread.

Didn't he later find out his half-brother was called Brett or something? My memory's hazy. I might buy that big compendium of early Mole books and revisit them soon. My paperbacks all fell to pieces.

Craig Torso

Quote from: "The Unicorn"At school I went by Jonny, so of course got the obligitary "can I borrow a rubber, Jonny?".
I found that pulling a condom out of your school bag and handing it over caused enough embarrassment for whoever asked to stop that particular gag entirely.

slim

I've always disliked my name. If I ever become prominent for anything of note, I'll work under a 'nym.

I used to want to change it, and looked forward to the day I turned 18, but indecisiveness meant I kept it, and to this day I can't decide which name I'd like better.

Suggestions? Keep them rude.

23 Daves

Quote from: "SurferGhost"
Quote from: "23 Daves""Sue" is the ultimate twee-girl name, isn't it?

I give you... Wendy.

That's interesting, because the only two Wendies that come to my mind are Wendy James out of Transvision Vamp, who was obviously a strumpet for frustrated adolescent boys, and a girl called Wendy in my school who would sleep with a lot of the boys in the year above.  So I've always associated Wendy with a kind of full-on sex machine kind of person.

Wendy had absolutely no interest in sleeping with me, by the way.  You can tell, can't you?

As for Sarah, there are so many Sarahs that it's surely impossible to create any sort of stereotype.  All the ones I've met have been wildly different from each other - it's almost a sort of default name, isn't it?

Captain Crunch

I recommend The Big Gahoonah.

I was all set to be Daniel but that changed to Theodore and Gabriel when my poor deluded mother became convined she was carrying two boys.  She ended up with a heavy girl.  My Dad wanted Dolores but my Mum didn't want that as it had connotations of 'all boobs and eyelashes'.  Isabel is a cow's name apparently so that got relegated to my second name.

Names as insults, ever encountered that?  Simon meant retard at school and Doris was an insult at work.  Not a night would pass without some hairy lifer shouting "aaah, you fackin' Doris" at a new person.

There's an unaccountable number of your names on this board.  I can think of three of the top of my head.

EDIT: Dammit!  In response to slim!

The Mumbler

Justin.  Yes, now it has some kind of currency thanks to Mr. Timberlake (not that I care much about that...), but back in 1970s Swansea, it caused elder relatives to start singing Sinatra's "Just In Time" (marginally less irritating than people just saying such punnery and seeming to want doubled-up mirth as a reward), and sniggering adolescents to use the word "just in" as in "do you have a tiny penis?"  

I don't mind the name too much now.  My surname is pretty ordinary, so at least my first name is moderately unusual.

SurferGhost

I used to work with a bloke who rejoiced in the name of Garth Saxon. He was nothing like you might imagine from that, though.

Eww, see?  Back into the woodwork with you, Justins!  They populate this place like vermin.

(Unless I am remembering horribly wrong)

(Winky smiley at you, Mumbler, you know you're a lovely and not at all worthy of living in rotted wood)

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "23 Daves"
Quote from: "SurferGhost"
Quote from: "23 Daves""Sue" is the ultimate twee-girl name, isn't it?

I give you... Wendy.

That's interesting, because the only two Wendies that come to my mind are Wendy James out of Transvision Vamp, who was obviously a strumpet for frustrated adolescent boys, and a girl called Wendy in my school who would sleep with a lot of the boys in the year above.  So I've always associated Wendy with a kind of full-on sex machine kind of person.

Wendy had absolutely no interest in sleeping with me, by the way.  You can tell, can't you?

As for Sarah, there are so many Sarahs that it's surely impossible to create any sort of stereotype.  All the ones I've met have been wildly different from each other - it's almost a sort of default name, isn't it?

I know a Wendy who is a slightly "kooky" girl, she is also the only white member of popular steel pan group 'Ebony'
http://www.ebony.org.uk/

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Eww, see?  Back into the woodwork with you, Justins!  They populate this place like vermin.

(Unless I am remembering horribly wrong)

(Winky smiley at you, Mumbler, you know you're a lovely and not at all worthy of living in rotted wood)

Are there that many of us on here?  I don't PM enough people, do I?!

slim

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"There's an unaccountable number of your names on this board.  I can think of three of the top of my head.
Three? I know of another one, I think (in fact, you may have told me) but not any more. 3 out of ~5000 is not bad...

I wonder if they all get called other names instead of their real ones? I swear I have so many people address me incorrectly... I wonder if everyone gets it so much.

peet

Quote from: "23 Daves"As for Sarah, there are so many Sarahs that it's surely impossible to create any sort of stereotype. All the ones I've met have been wildly different from each other - it's almost a sort of default name, isn't it?
Apparently, but for a mere chromasomal wiffling, I would've been a bland ten-a-penny forgettable Sarah. So I'm Peter instead. There's that particular landmine sidestepped, phewww.

slim

Wicky wicky, slim shady.

I was wondering when you'd say that!  Not that you're predictable, like.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"What about those BASTARD FUCKING CUNTS who DARE to have the same name and surname as you?

Git. It's quite handy though, because a lot of people remember my name first time I meet them. Some of my friends call me by the full moniker of 'David Gray', which isn't as annoying as I thought it'd be.

Who else shares a famous name? I've known two James Browns, one Richard Harris and there's a chappy on our course called Phil Collins, the poor blighter.

It feels odd to be called Dave when it happens, because I can envisage 'Dave' being a happy go-lucky, man about town, and general all rounder - a smile and a nod for everyone. Plus there's another David on our course who we call Dave. I'm just 'David Gray'.

Our surname used to be the German 'Graf', but my dad's granddad changed it during the first world war.

Here's something about names, which I posted a while ago: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4274318.stm

'K'tee'. Yikes.

Nuts 'n Gum

I nearly got called Toby. Very glad I wasn't! I like my 2 middle names (not cos my family were that snobbish, just that otherwise my initlas would have been the same as my Mums) Samuel Alexander James Huxley is alot better than Toby.
If i was a girl i think I was going to be called Jessica. Which isn't amazing but it's not so bad I suppose.

There was a Dick Head at my Brothers school, (no honestly), and A. Gay in my year at school, who had a sister who's inital was B.

Almost Yearly

I think Justin pips Jeremy, but not by much.

If we're going to help, slim, we're going to need your surname, if you're up to it.

Edit: might as well add my usual assertion that Louises are the easiest girls. Eh, PT.

annalisa

Plonker, are you on the animation course at Bournemouth? If so, know that Phil Collins...

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"I think Justin pips Jeremy, but not by much.

What are you referring to here?!

TJ

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Nah, fuck that, I'm going to marry Rob Britton and we're going to call our kids:

Little?

zozman

My mate's called Bryan Adams, the poor bastard.

As for me, I'm an alcoholic (or at least I'm trying to be, and my name is Dean.

Oh, and I've got the John Thomas middle name thing that someone referred to earlier.  Yeah, cheers dad and Grandad-that-I-never-met.  Couldn't have been called "Rock" and "Hard" could you?

sam and janet evening

My mother was apparently keen on me being called 'Roxanne' had I been born a girl-creature. God alone knows why, I suspect it was hormones.
But I'm called Sean (because Mum saw Sean Lennon on the news - John having been murdered about 6 months before my birth - and thought 'Sean' nice name.
S'alright name I suppose. People occasionally think I might have Irish roots (I don't, East-end London and Cornwall), and it's forever misspelled but it could have been worse.

edit -  I used to have an asian friend who was called shazeer, his best friend was called Dave so it was always 'are Shaz and Dave coming to the pub?'

slim

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"I was wondering when you'd say that!  Not that you're predictable, like.
Heh, I like the way it took me three posts to notice the opportunity. Predictable, no. Fuckwit, yes.

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"If we're going to help, slim, we're going to need your surname, if you're up to it.
You mean, you need my real surname? Or you need to have my surname to change too?

If it's the latter, I was hoping for a full affair, so yes. If it's the former, not on the bloody board I won't. :)

Almost Yearly

Oh well then, Benedict Frontbottom it is. (Where the fuck did the name Sidebottom come from?)

Quote from: "The Mumbler"
Quote from: "Almost Yearly"I think Justin pips Jeremy, but not by much.
What are you referring to here?!
Relative sappiness.