Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trailer Park Boys and Twtch City - Canadian comedy

Started by thatmuch, March 06, 2004, 01:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatmuch

Has anyone here had the chance to see either of these? I've seen some episodes on video and and they are both excellent - very Canadian, understated. 'Trailer Park Boys' is a sort-of mocumentary that bumbles along following some hopeless losers bumbling through life. It's not sadistic humour though, which takes some adjusting to when that's what you'd expect from a British equivalent.
Anyway, if either of these programmes had been from the US you'd be seeing them on Channel 4 or BBC4 by now.
I suppose this thread will now end.

Rats

Yeah, it's wierd that, we have more in common with the canadians sense of humour from what I've seen, kids in the hall, moxy fruvous, (that's the canadian comedy I've seen and one of them was a band for fucks sake. I'm making this whole asumption on the strength of one decidedly british, pythonesque sketch show and a band, I didn't even mention Gregg "fuck off and die" Proops) but if we do get one of their shows they're on at like 3am and american comedy is plastered all over.
This is why I don't post much in this forum. I'm still typing.

TOCMFIC

Greg Proops is NOT Canadian. He was born in Arizona.

Trailer Park Boys is pretty big over here, though I've never watched it. I heard there's a movie in the works.

Twitch City I think I saw an episode of. Not bad.

The Newsroom is popular here. Not too bad.

If you get ANYTHING with a guy named Rick Mercer in it, watch it. That guy is fucking hilarious. He mostly does satire stuff, but has been in a comedy called, I think, "Made in Canada".

Geej

Trailer Park Boys is great.  I 'found' a couple of episodes around the interweb - very funny.

Basics:
Bunch of dumb losers on a Trailer Park and their pitiful attempts to (1) do the right thing (2) get themselves out of the shitty life they find themselves in.

Excellent

Spent a year in Canada about a decade ago. Can't remember too much about the comedy on offer, but a couple of shows stick in the mind.

Super Dave  ( a canadian institution)  was one, but the other show was called, think, SCTV, which I remember mainly for the characters, Bob and Doug McKenzie. Rick Moranis played one of the characters, but no idea about the other. Basically a couple of Canadian losers, a liveaction Canadian Beavis and Butthead perhaps. I'm sure I saw a movie based on the characters... quick google...

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/6756/takeoff.htm

Strange Brew... nah, doubt I would've heard of it either.

On a lesser note, I also remember many people coming up and saying that they loved British Humour  (chest swells, the first few bars of Land of Hope and Glory play through my mind, long live the queen etc... )... then they'd continue to list "Benny Hill" as an prime example  (chest collapses, etc.... ).

falafel

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"Strange Brew... nah, doubt I would've heard of it either.

It's namechecked by Deltron 3030 in 'National Movie Review'.

Who knew?

Still not heard of it otherwise.

thatmuch

Well, I strongly recommend 'Trailer Park Boys' to the sort of people who can find things like that on the web, and then apparently download and watch them.
BBC America has bought the rights to show it in the US next month, so perhaps It''ll find its way here too.

TOCMFIC

If you want to see a typical piece of Canadiana, obtain the movie "Strange Brew", featuring the aforementioned Bob and Doug McKenzie. (Played by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. Okay, so outside of Canada most people will only know one of those guys.) It's a comedy classic.

SCTV isn't bad, though rather dated now. Worth noting as the vehicle which propelled John Candy to stardom. It was also where Harold Ramis got his start.