Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"The Movies" pc game

Started by Munday's Chylde, December 17, 2005, 08:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So has anybody else purchased this? The game itself is a bit 'theme park' but to be honest you only have to play it for a couple of hours before you realise the real reason for buying it is the 'movie making software'.

Lionhead have started up quite a big online community for the game where you can make your own movies, post them up on their website and review or rate each others. Theres a potential for a lot of fun there and the movie making side of it itself is very easy to get to grips with.

Anyway if anyone else here is using it then I'd be interested in seeing some of your work.

Heres mine: http://movies.lionhead.com/studio/Kellydogproductions

I've done one film so far (chopped into four episodes) - I'd certainly appreciate some people having a look and rating it for me on the site because they work on a chart basis over there and no bugger is looking at it!

Anyway. The game is definitely reccomended and its a surprisingly good little creative outlet.

I think kyle26 wants you to rate his movie.

I really enjoyed that. How long did it take to do?

Yeah I rated Kyle26's - I think a lot of people there do that, post a review just as a way of plugging their own - I wont make a habit of responding but since that was my first effort I was in a good mood.

I did an episode a day, its very addictive.

Now I've looked at it though I think you can only rate movies if you have a registered copy of the game which puts my plans of cheating with an army of verbwhores to pay. Oh well.

slim

Quote from: "That site"Your browser is not configured correctly to receive WMV streamed video
Balls to that then. I was looking forward to seeing those, Munday's, but not enough to install WMP10.

mook

I enjoyed that Mundays..even though I ruined it a bit for myself by watching the last episode first even though you quite clearly labelled it "FINALE." I am such a tool.

I'd like to think that I could have a bash at something like that, but frankly I've neither the patience and more importantly the funny to make anything as good as that. Dancing hitlers and albino hell gorillas have just got to make even the most sour of sourpusses crack a grin.

Anyways, if you make any more post them up.

I wonder what Rats would have churned out with it though?

Quote from: "mook"I'd like to think that I could have a bash at something like that, but frankly I've neither the patience and more importantly the funny to make anything as good as that.

Patience you don't need, honestly, the system is fool proof and very quick and easy to use. As for the funny - who says you have to make comedies? Some people there make some very serious movies.

QuoteI wonder what Rats would have churned out with it though?

I don't know but I do know what he would have thought of mine!

Oscar

That was excellent. Thanks.

Xerxes & Friends

I am hoping to get this for Christmas or, if not, in the January sales, so no doubt I will be bumping this thread in a while.  I have made sure in advance that I have absolutely no life, I take it this will be advantageous?

Huzzie

Mundays. That is fantastic! I am quite looking forward to viewing the rest of your fillums.

Thin I will have to pick this up one day when I have enough money (how much is it? bout £30?). DO you think it will come out on Xbox360 or do you think that is improbable?

EDIT: None of my business and sorry to step on yoru toes but could the moral be "don't suicide, treat mum well and be sure not to step on spiders" or something, ignoring the catholic school massacre? Sorry if it is a rubbish idea and sorry for interfering (hangs head in shame).

micanio

I got this the other week but I still haven't really had a go at the movie maker part of it yet - seems well complicated.

I love the game though

LordSnooty

Quote from: "slim"Balls to that then. I was looking forward to seeing those, Munday's, but not enough to install WMP10.
Could that be a Firefox problem? I got the message, but tried it in IE, and it worked. Right-click, about and I'm on version 8.000.0yada. Watched the first, pretty good, well done. Can you not add your own sound I take it? And I have to say, the acting was poor - these people look like robots half the time...

DuncanC

Same here. There's a useful extension for Firefox called IETab that lets you view a page in Internet Explorer running inside a Firefox tab for these situations.

Quote from: "LordSnooty"Can you not add your own sound I take it? And I have to say, the acting was poor - these people look like robots half the time...

You can add your own sounds and your own music - the rules of lionheads website are quite strict on copyright though so you have to watch the music I guess. I actually bought a microphone because i was planning on doing the voices instead of using subtitles - but after doing a couple of scenes i discovered i cant act for toffee so i gave up.

Yes huzzie i believe it will come out on consoles soon, not sure which ones though.

I thought more verbwhores would have it actually, being up on games and all, it went straight to number one didnt it? Its nice some of you enjoyed my effort but unless you've got a copy you cant rate me anyway and i've made it my lifes ambition to get a movie in the top ten of the online chart!

Mister Six

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "mook"I wonder what Rats would have churned out with it though?[/quote

I don't know but I do know what he would have thought of mine!

What's with the past tense? Rats isn't dead, is he?

Neil

He is, yes.

That was excellent Mundays, particularly enjoyed the afro chap!  Very funny.  Some syncing issues though, and the music switching between scenes needs a little work.  Let us know when the next one's up.

Oh good, I'm glad a gaming thread has been started; despite my constant searching, I've been unable to find a single thread which so much as mentions computer games. A real breath of fresh air, this.

mayer

Heh, and you picked the one which is actually not really about games or gaming, but art creation. Hmmmmm.

chumfatty

Excellent Munday, enjoyed that a lot. It was a very understated piece of work, lots of nice bits of quirky comedy mixed with subtley and surrealism. Only you'd think they'd have unccapped broadband Mortal World Crystal Balls, it is 2006 after all.

How does the Movie maker work?, do you choose from Stock sets, Characters/actions, camera angles etc or is it harder. It looks like a lot of work has gone into that. So I doubt I'll be trying it if its too much effort, but kudos, looking forward to your next offering.

Neil

Yeah I was expecting that to be a horror/thriller, so it took me by surprise. You've got me interested in getting this now, iI wonder if it'd work on my 700mhz Athlon though.  Might grab it and see.

imitationleather

Isn't getting warez of it a bit dodgy? If it uploads your movies to their server won't they be able to see you've not got a registered copy?

Brilliant film from Mundays there though. It certainly looks like a lot of work went into that!

Neil

I won't be uploading them to their server though, I doubt they'd even let me connect without a password.  If it's good and I enjoy it then I might buy it to get the full funcitonality.

imitationleather

Ah, you're probably right. I was just worried you'd get the Old Bill knocking on your door! I might give it a go myself now...

On HMV.co.uk there's two different versions of the game. One is the "Premiere" edition and costs £45. What's all that about, ey?

bill hicks

The Premiere Edition comes with some extra goodies...

* Ten exclusive star costumes that can be used in The Movies game
   * How to Make a Great Movie mini-guide: tips on advanced movie making
   * 20 track soundtrack from the game
   * Background art: 56 exclusive concept art images
   * Five trailers from the "This Is Hollywood" series.

All of which doesn't add up to much in my mind. Not at twice the price anyway.

I still haven't installed this yet but as soon as I get done with watching Dead Man's Shoes tonight I may give it a spin. I might even invest in a microphone for my PC so me and The Wookie (my flatmate) can knock out some poor Red vs Blue rip-offs in our spare time.

According to the manual for those thinking of nabbing it illicitly it has a key-code at install stage, and then when you upload to the server it needs the same code so you won't be able to upload your films.

I should suggest buying it though...Molyneux is one of the finest men alive and the fact that he's one of the few people in the games industry who gives a shit about quality and creating something new not rehashing Urban Combat Simulator #445 from last month...he deserves the money.

mwude

Quote from: "slim"
Quote from: "That site"Your browser is not configured correctly to receive WMV streamed video
Balls to that then. I was looking forward to seeing those, Munday's, but not enough to install WMP10.

You can download them in next to no time & watch them on whatever you want.  And it's worth it!  Great stuff.  As Neil has already pointed out the sound is out of sync - for example in the finale you get 11 or 12 seconds of dancing and then the dancing music finally kicks in as the credit screen comes up.

"Albino hell ape" ?  Has anyone added that to the "wacky monkey" thread yet?

No its not hard work, its very easy - you have a multitude of different actions your actors can perform and you can cut the scenes as much as you like, add things in the background, add other extras perfoming other things - change the sets etc - with a bit of creativity i dont think theres much restrictions to what you can and cant do - you can make your own backgrounds on photoshop and theres a wealth of costumes, props and sets you can pick from (plus when you get good reviews online you earn 'credits' which you can spend on the site to buy more stuff) and of course there will be various mods coming out and expansion packs. The actors by the way you can completely manipulate facially so if you fancy having, say, robert deniro in your film and you've some rendering skills then nothings stopping you. The only thing you cant do is change actors sizes - you  might notice they are all exactly the same height so if you fancy having dwarfs (or even children) in your movie then you cant.

I know the sycnhing and the music was out of whack, I've watched other movies on the site and its clearly possible to make them neater but i cant seem to master that.

I certainly reccomend it though, im utterly hooked.

Huzzie

Quote from: "imitationleather"Isn't getting warez of it a bit dodgy?!

`OK. Please answer this with a yes or no or a ja or non.

Huzzie

Quote from: "bill hicks"so me and The Wookie (my flatmate)

You call the Wookie your "flatmate"??!!!?

Or vice versa.

Quote from: "mwude"for example in the finale you get 11 or 12 seconds of dancing and then the dancing music finally kicks in as the credit screen comes up.

Really? That bad? My copy seemed ok, a bit out of step but it certainly accompanied the dancing. It must have lost something in upload, i dont know how to fix that.

Huzzie

Quote from: "bill hicks"
I should suggest buying it though...Molyneux is one of the finest men alive

Well, you've sold me.

Mudays helped though with his rubbish about earning credits in his next post down.

Huzzie

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "mwude"for example in the finale you get 11 or 12 seconds of dancing and then the dancing music finally kicks in as the credit screen comes up.

Really? That bad? My copy seemed ok, a bit out of step but it certainly accompanied the dancing. It must have lost something in upload, i dont know how to fix that.

Yeah, I was thining it was something in the upload. It is well daddy wack on mine but I knew you would never have that.

It is unfortunate really but if you get your head round where the music should be it is a great piece.