Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"The Movies" pc game

Started by Munday's Chylde, December 17, 2005, 08:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "Huzzie"
Mudays helped though with his rubbish about earning credits in his next post down.

What do you mean?

Huzzie

Shit.. I dunno mate..

I did mean that I have decided to get this program because it looks ace, because your films look ace (though I am sure I will only frustrate myself trying to match them), because that guy said something about MOyneux being a great guy and because you said something good about credits.

I have no idea why I called it "rubbish" and then went on to put it in italics, I think it is just because I really like the word "rubbish". If you did a search under my name for that word I am sure you will get many similar sentances.

Sorry Mundays if it came across that I was being a nob with you, you should know I think too much of you to be snide. Unfortunately, even I can't remembe what I was going on about, all I know is I use that word a lot just because it tittilates me.

I hope I have sorted that out, if not, pm me and I will explain further why I am being a bit odd.

Oh right. Thats fine, I didnt know what you meant. Yes its a good little bonus and it gives you an added incentive to stick your movies online.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Reminds me of a game called Stunt Island on the PC from way back. Part of the game would be flying planes or whatever in your own stunts that get filmed, I imagine in a similar way to how these work. But you could also make up your own ones by creating paths for all the vehicles to take and you would also set what the cameras were and then edit it afterwards.

Funnily enough I had completely forgotten about the game until I read about this, but I used to bloody love it.

Craig Torso

Quote from: "Eight Taiwanese Teenagers"Stunt Island.
Relive your youth!

bill hicks

Molyneux: King Among Men

1) He programmed and designed Populous.

2) He also did Powermonger (which I always preferred to Populous myself).

3) He refuses to bow down to the PR machine and just rattles off the full feature list of his games at the first opportunity. He does this because he LOVES GAMES and isn't a boring twat worrying about marketing and demographics. He has an idea for a game that excites him then he makes it.

4) He famously got overexcited when talking about Fable for the Xbox, rattled off a feature list that made everyone excited two years before it came out, then when it did and featured almost nothing he had said would be in it HE APOLOGISED TO THE FANS! Fable was brilliant and he still said sorry it wasn't as good as he wanted it to be....KING AMONG MEN!

5) He made Syndicate. Syndicate is the best thing ever.

6) In order that the concept he had for Black and White wouldn't be butchered by the publishers he used £6 million of HIS OWN MONEY to make it. As he said at the time: "I don't want it ruined and I've got the money so I thought I might as well give it a go". If Black and White had failed he would have been fucked, but he thought it was a cool idea and risked the lot. KING AMONG MEN!

7) He made SYNDICATE! SYNDICATE!!!

All that should compel everyone to buy this game, if only so Mr Peter Molyneux OBE can afford to spunk it all making a game about evolutionary pixies controlled solely by the cerebral cortex like something out of a Cronenberg film (but happy and with less mucous). It's also only £18 on play.com.

P.S - HE MADE SYNDICATE!!!!!! FUCKING SYNDICATE!!!!!

imitationleather

monkhouse terror

Quote from: "bill hicks"stuff
You missed out the bit where he made 'Dungeon Keeper', happy fun gaming times!

Rev

Can you feel the love?

Quote from: "bill hicks"3) He refuses to bow down to the PR machine and just rattles off the full feature list of his games at the first opportunity. He does this because he LOVES GAMES and isn't a boring twat worrying about marketing and demographics. He has an idea for a game that excites him then he makes it.

Well, he 'makes it' in the same way as Jeffrey Archer 'writes' his novels.  When was the last time he was actually involved in the development of a game?  'Dungeon Keeper' could have been it, but he might have stepped away before that.  

Quote4) He famously got overexcited when talking about Fable for the Xbox, rattled off a feature list that made everyone excited two years before it came out, then when it did and featured almost nothing he had said would be in it HE APOLOGISED TO THE FANS! Fable was brilliant and he still said sorry it wasn't as good as he wanted it to be....KING AMONG MEN!

What?  He ran his mouth off about a game far too early and offered a blushing apology when the end product turned out to be something less revolutionary?  He did the exact same thing with 'Black & White' - remember how many people were pissed off when that one came out - and 'The Movies' is getting a similar reception.  All of them are good, but none of them are anything like what he originally described.

He's a good lad, I'm sure.  One third PT Barnum, one third Malcolm McLaren, and one third Peter Molyneux the games designer, a thin ghost from back when he did that kind of thing for a living.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Great game, fucking awesome idea and Munday's episodes are pretty funny. I wish he learnt how to spell 'Deutschland' though.

Lt Plonker

Great film, Mundays! I liked the dancing Hitler very much.

A new movie up by me... "At Home With The Quarantines"

Blame it on the xmas sherry okay?

If anyone now has a registered copy of the game please do rate me on the site. Thanks x

EPISODE ONE: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/27890
EPISODE TWO: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/27906
EPISODE THREE: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/27932
EPISODE FOUR: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/27937

Borboski

Ok, i've got this, how do you actually *make* the films?

I've gone through the tutorial and now started "new game", this seems like an extended tutorial so far though.  Two scripts have appeared so far - do I just have to wait for one to arrive?

imitationleather

The easiest way to make films is to go into Sandbox mode. Have maximum money, instant film production and set it to the modern day. If you do it through the normal game it takes a very long time before you can make decent films.

I've got this and I like it. However, I'm finding the actual game itself very tricky. I can get up to about 3rd but then there's just too much to keep track of in the game and I have to go and have a lie down. Also, all the actors are miserable fucks and alcoholics. The cunts.

The movie production bit looks a laugh, although I'm currently lacking in inspiration. I'll try to think something up tomorrow. Probably.

Borboski

A-ha I see what you mean... in the single player game I'm about 3 hours in, and can just make silent flicks.  Can't work out how to change people's costumes or camera angles - so I will fanny on Sandbox tommorow!

Still Not George

< edit: Information now rendered completely pointless. >

That said, I've great admiration for anyone who does make movies for download in the main game. I'm still struggling away...
(Also I'm no good with the movie designer wotsit)

imitationleather

I've got up to the '40s in the main game, and it's quite exciting to see technology advancing. However, there's just too much boring shit you have to keep track of (the labs and stars constantly going off the rails, for instance) and I'm really regretting how I laid out my studio at the beginning.

Are you meant to not win any awards to begin with, as well? I've got a certificate task to win two awards and at the rate I'm going it'll never happen!

Rev

Quote from: "imitationleather"Are you meant to not win any awards to begin with, as well? I've got a certificate task to win two awards and at the rate I'm going it'll never happen!

Sort of.  The first awards ceremony is just a taunt, but if you haven't won two awards BEFORE that certificate challenge appears, you're probably buggered.

It's an annoying game, this one, because it rewards being shit.  If you do poorly there's no end of stuff to do, but if you're any cop at it then it pretty much plays itself.  It's got 'expansion packs' written all over it, of course, so we'll see how it develops.

What I did was put sandbox on in the morning and left the computer running all day - when I came back to it later it was 2030 game year and all the research was done. Anyway it sounds like three or four of you have the game now, I take it you've registered your copy online and popped across to rate my new movie, yes? What do you mean no?! Go and do it now.

I expect 5 stars from each of you of course regardless of whether you like it or not, verbwhore solidarity and all that.

DocDaneeka

I voted, but its on my old Black & White username (all CAPITALS, what was I thinking?), Anyone know how I can change my name without changing my Email?

Im playing the main game(I love Management games) and learning how to use the basic Script writing stuff.

imitationleather

Well, I've made my first film. Be warned though, I'm no Guy Ritchie.

Here's a link to it: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/28758

I'm going to go and big you up now, Mundays.

Quote from: "imitationleather"Well, I've made my first film. Be warned though, I'm no Guy Ritchie.

Is that meant to be a BAD thing?

QuoteI'm going to go and big you up now, Mundays.

I see you already have - thanks. I'm just downloading yours now.

'At Home With The Quarantines' is number 14 in the comedy charts! Fantastic, I'm embarrasingly chuffed about that. And now I'm only 4000 credits away from buying the stagecoach set.

Okay I've watched it. It was absolute bloody rubbish.

I've voted it a 5 and given you a sparkling review!

VIVA LA VERBWHORES!

By the way, I've been on the site for a couple of weeks now and the only way to get ratings is to promote, promote, promote.

I've been splashing my poster in every available thread!

You might also want to check out this site...

http://www.reviewtrader.com/index.php

If you register then for every film you review you get one back, a good way to get the credits up. Trust me IL, you'll be hooked on this soon!

DocDaneeka

Heres my rather poor effort: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/29639
I wont upload another until Ive sped up my Sandbox a few decades.

Ill watch and review you're other Quarantine parts soon Mundays.

Your strange movie has got 5 stars from me doc.

Borboski

Nah I can't work out how you do the post-production to add sound/subtitles, all I can do is select the pre-set scenes...

DocDaneeka

Its a little button called advanced  on the bottom left of the post production screen.

Xerxes & Friends

Borboski - have you built a post-production facility building yet?  You can only do this after a certain point in the timeline, I think around the 1950s onwards.  If you are still in the early stages of the proper game you will have to wait for the technology to catch up.

I have this game now but find I cannot be arsed with the online community bit at all.  I can't be bothered uploading my crummy films or watching anybody elses.  What exactly am I missing out on?  It sucks that you have to earn  points to download new sets and props.  I already PAID for the GAME!*  Gimmee!

*Well it was a present but that's not the point.

Still Not George

Quote from: "Xerxes & Friends"I have this game now but find I cannot be arsed with the online community bit at all.  I can't be bothered uploading my crummy films or watching anybody elses.  What exactly am I missing out on?  It sucks that you have to earn  points to download new sets and props.  I already PAID for the GAME!*  Gimmee!
Weeeell, it's one of them loyalty wossnames, innit. Besides, it's a highly effective way of stopping people pirating the thing.