Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Strands of society you have a (possibly irrational) unshakeable hatred of

Started by 23 Daves, December 19, 2005, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

All right, this is probably a bad time of year to start a new thread, especially an unseasonal one, but this is on something that's been bothering me for awhile.

Basically, do you suffer from an intolerance of a certain strand of society or a certain type of person that you know damn well is partly based on jealousy?  I do.  I will freely admit – here and now, in front of everyone – that I have an unsinkable hatred of extremely posh people.

Now, I've tried to shake it off.  I'm not sixteen anymore.  I don't think the world will be saved and justice will be done if I sign up to Class War and attempt to make arrangements to crucify them all.  More to the point, I know damn well that there are some decent posh folk out there, who are humorous, well-meaning and level-headed in their approaches with others (though I don't seem to meet them terribly often).

Talking to these people, though, is to me like attempting to converse with a culture still more alien than someone from a hick town in the southern states of America.  And the cold, clipped delivery of their sentences and scrutinising looks feel utterly chilling to me.  Then there's the small fact that many of them have a confidence that's misplaced and often far above their actual intelligence, and a commandeering air which in certain social situations feels ridiculously inappropriate. This, of course, often stems from being taught to be "a leader" in some of the better schools in the UK, rather than being brought up to expect to be a drone.  It's a social divide I can't work out how to bridge.

To give you an example, I was at a poetry reading hosted by a super-super-snoot woman on Saturday night, and myself and my friends were told off for laughing at and cheering certain lines in a witty piece of work a poet and actor was delivering (an appreciation he seemed to enjoy).  Her words to my table were:

"Er think that one of the things some people have to learn about listening to poetry is that it must be internalised, and you have to transcend your ego and not inflict your view of the poem very loudly on everyone else..."

Ironically, of course, she unknowingly and unwittingly delivered this phrase to an entire table filled with poets.   Rather than be embarrassed when the truth was revealed though, she shrugged and carried on utterly unabashed.  

I could also tell she was from really wealthy stock, because I shook her hand earlier in the evening, and it felt absurdly, ridiculously soft, incredibly silky. I used to have an incredibly wealthy boss, and his hands were the same to shake – like he'd either been bathing in Nivea all his life, or else he'd never actually needed to rough them up for anything.  

So... I hate them.  I try to see past it all, but I can't.

Do you lot have any similar dislikes, based either or irrational hatred or logical jealousy?  And can anyone talk me down from mine?  Is there a course you can go on to become more level-headed in your handling of the presence of snoots?

Suttonpubcrawl

Why would anyone want to talk you down from yours? Hating posh people is just correct. It's what we all should do.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

A bloke on C4 News just now who has used the Alan Partridge 'Adam and Steve' line in reference to gay marriages. I hate him.

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Cardinal Tit Storm"Well that woman at the poetry needs a slap, that's for sure.

In addition to The Posh, I also have an irrational hatred of the following groups:

The English
The Irish
People From Other Parts Of Scotland (especially Glasgow,  Edinburgh, and Aberdeen)
The General Public
Old People
Car Drivers.. no wait, that's not irrational
Women
Mothers
Youths
Precocious Children
People Who Walk Slowly
Indie Kids
Goths
Luvvies
People Who Go To The Opera
...and so on.

In all seriousness, I've been considering the possibility that I might be a sociopath. Only today I thought about starting a thread about it, but sociopaths don't do things like that, do they. (?)

You are Jerry Sadowitz and I claim my £5.

Yeah, I hate people who are obsessed with making money:  city people, managers, jews*, anyone wearing a suit generally.

*casual anti-semitism makes the world go round.... or is it the Elders of Zion?

Utter Shit

I have to admit I do have a dislike of the scumbags in my area. Without meaning to be rude, essentially I'm talking about the poor people. It's not that they're poor, it's that they all seem to be very loud and shouty. It's not necessary. They seem to hunt in packs too, and cluster in certain areas. For example I was in Poundland earlier (where my mate was buying Christmas presents, the stingy but not poor cunt) and there was just an overbearing noise, of ugly little children and coldsore-ridden mothers.

I should reiterate though, that it's the noise (and, if I'm honest, the smell) rather than the lack of wealth that I have a problem with.

sproggy

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Utter Shit"Utter shit

Sorry, couldn't resist. Christmas cheer to you and that. xx

Utter Shit

Only partly serious. Perhaps I should just say "loud people" instead.

lardboy

Americans. I admit it, I dislike them all because of the (very slight) majority that think Bush is right for America. It's not a hatred that can manifest itself in the face of any innocent people, but I really don't have time for them right now, and would prefer it if the whole country just went up in flames and the rest of the world could get on with their lives. Sorry to all of them, it's not right but I can't help it - your country's actions have made me sick of all of you.

Christians. The fundamentalist/devout ones - it's a story book, and this is grown-up time. Anyone who uses the Bible to back up an opinion of any sort should not be listened to, encouraged or, indeed, exist. The liberal accepting ones - read the fucking book that your religion is based on and you'll find that you cannot call yourself a Christian. You can't just pick and choose the bits you like out of a religious text - how about you just use your own common sense to get through life instead of relying on a reward for being good? Some of us are just good people because it's right to be good people, we don't need a book or an all-knowing father figure in the sky to see it.

I'm sure the final one can be applied to all religious people actually, but it does seem to me that Christianity is the least accepting of "others", plus I know a great deal less about other religions, having been born and raised in what is still a predominately Christian culture. "Religious Studies" in my primary school was only The Bible, for god's sake, and it wasn't a Christian school. There's something very wrong with that kind of brainwashing.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Lee

QuotePeople who phone in to Radio Five to talk to Nicky Campbell - twats.

Magicians. Cunts, the lot of them. Smug, egomaniaical cunts.

Bernard

People from rural areas -

"They don't understand our country ways".

No, and we don't want to either!

Mister Cairo

Cocky young men (the Hollyoaks type). Good-looking cocks who have no manners or depth but due to confidence and looks have women hanging off them.

Hollywood (well, when they remake British films or rewrite British history. A proper prime minister would put an embargo on the latter. What's happening to our culture?)

People who fund terrorist groups (esp.  Americans who fund the IRA then make out how much they love the British when they want to invade somewhere

Tories

Loud children or children in groups. They scare me.

People who say "like" and British people who think they live in America , so talk like one (e.g. kids who talk about SWAT teams. There are no SWAT teams in this country.)

Evil Knevil

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "lardboy"
Quote from: "TraceyQ"People from Willenhall.
Watch it, Q.

Pah, she's just jealous of that ornamental chess-piece in the town square.

lardboy

Is there one?  I haven't been there in a decade, I hate the town.  Lovely people, but the place is a dump.

Captain Crunch

That reminds me, I hate people who answer the question "Where are you from?" with where they live.  Or, to put it another way, home county wankers who move to Hackney and try to cover their roots by banging on about Garlic & Shots and the Crobar.  Naff off back to Berkshire you bunch of giant knuckles.

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Cardinal Tit Storm"In addition to The Posh, I also have an irrational hatred of the following groups:

The English
The Irish
People From Other Parts Of Scotland (especially Glasgow,  Edinburgh, and Aberdeen)
The General Public
Old People
Car Drivers.. no wait, that's not irrational
Women
Mothers
Youths
Precocious Children
People Who Walk Slowly
Indie Kids
Goths
Luvvies
People Who Go To The Opera
...and so on.
As an elderly, upper-class (I despise my roots, however), luvvie with a pechant for opera - I drive to see it regularly, I walk too slowly - hailing from Aberdeen with an English mother and Irish father, with a teenage son in an indie band and a highly talented goth toddler, I find that very offensive.

Suttonpubcrawl

Ha, I bet people think that about me when I answer that question with "east London". No really, I am! I've lived here all my life!

Big Jack McBastard

Men, we are all cunts ladies. I know, you don't need to explain why he's a bastard, or why he's a useless prick to me. I'm fully aware of how horrible we can be and continue to be even in the face of the evidence. We're both; infuriatingly awkward and endlessly predictable, completely unfathomable and yet totally simple.

We're unemotional and flippant at the wrong times, if there is something to be said that's 'wrong' for the situation we'll inevitably say it and make you roll your eyes and wonder 'what the fuck am I doing with him?' all the while sitting in a pool of blissful ignorance until we realise you're serious, or need us to be, but by then of course it is too late.

It's as if most men are still stuck in puberty, once sex enters their minds at 12/13 it's as if there is nothing else worth their time. Add to that what they were like before they got sex on the brain (bratty, misguidedly hateful, arrogant and always wanting their own way) and it all comes together to create a slobbering, hairy, sex obsessed bastard who only wants what he wants. True there is a little of that in all of us but by Christ it gets old quickly.

It's a wonder the species has propagated, you'd have thought women would have had better taste, but that's another post for a lady who wishes to bash her own gender. (You never know)

I've seen enough relationships break up and be reconciled to know that it is usually the bloke's fault ('Traitor!' comes the cry from the crowd), yes you women can be mental as a barrel full of piranhas, but it's usually us who've titled you over the edge with our unfeeling / unaware comments and actions, then we call you psycho's for snapping and calling us worse than shite, in public... where everyone can hear it.....for fucks sake.

If only we'd learn our lesson and listen to what's not being said as well as the vitriolic bile, but instead, there we sit with a bemused look on our faces as you storm off, insults ringing in our ears. We can change, but it takes a long time for the routines of what women are like to root themselves in our minds, primarily because you're fundamentally different from us on many levels, not better (hisses, sarcastically raised eyebrows, and even a few "That's right little fool"(s) from the ladies) just different. I hardly need to supply the evidence for that argument and you women know it, how many women do you know that stay in relationships with total wankers? (I'll even bet some of you reading this are), how many times have you seen the way another woman has acted in public and thought 'Christ what a nutcase'? Why the fuck do people like Peter Stringfellow continue to get shagged by females when the virtually universal reaction to him from any woman is 'Urrrrgh!'?

It's because women have just as many of their gender that they're not proud of as men do. Proving on a fundamental level that both sides are flawed, and when you're a member of the sex that is under the microscope you notice its flaws all the more prominently. That's why men annoy the piss out of me, because I am one.

Peking O

Quote from: "DevlinC"Americans. I admit it, I dislike them all because of the (very slight) majority that think Bush is right for America. It's not a hatred that can manifest itself in the face of any innocent people, but I really don't have time for them right now, and would prefer it if the whole country just went up in flames and the rest of the world could get on with their lives. Sorry to all of them, it's not right but I can't help it - your country's actions have made me sick of all of you.

Yeah, those innocent non-Bush supporting people, might as well burn them to death eh?

Big Jack McBastard

If you've got embarrassing friends don't bring them to the party.

Spiteface

Parents who buy stuff like Grand Theft Auto for their kids in shops like GAME, oblivious to the fact that it actually does carry a proper BBFC rating.

Ban clueless parents from buying video games for their kids, that's what I say!

I would like it to be known I am pretty much against censorship and that, but this bugs the shit out of me.

ffogems

Can't stand inverted snobbery. That appropriated aversion to 'middle-class' people that makes people think their situation is more arduous and challenging than it actually is.
There was an incongruous scene in 'the football factory' that was just a depthless, facile rant against the 'middle classes', and it made me shudder with vexation. Just couldn't shake off the image of the writer/director declaring 'I've completly assasinated the middle classes on page 75'.
Oh yes, and people who say 'South London' when they live in Surrey - that's surely from fear of derision by those hard-done-by inverted snobs.