Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Strands of society you have a (possibly irrational) unshakeable hatred of

Started by 23 Daves, December 19, 2005, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Posers, can't stand them.  And people who don't give credit where it's due, or who pass off other people's work/opinions as their own, they really are cunts.  I wouldn't advocate stoning someone to death, but they should have some small pebbles chucked in their general direction at the very least.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Me too, Xerxes - born in Scotland to London-born parents, grew up in Leicester, went to university in Wales, then lived in Colchester for a bit...and now I live in London. So where am I from? God knows.

Suttonpubcrawl

I hate people from north London. Those north Londoners think they're better than us east Londoners! They're not, we're all the same worthless trash.

edit: this is paraphrased from some thing I read about some war where they all hated each other for thinking they were better than each other, and they all thought they were just the "same worthless trash".

slim

Quote from: "TraceyQ"How do they get through life being so ugly?
Uglyinside?

I see that. Too many people seem so selfish, self-centred, shallow, angry, frustrated, disappointed, and desperate. I blame our social system and subtle manipulation of our innate self-preservation instincts.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "slim"subtle manipulation of our innate self-preservation instincts.

What do you mean?

God

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Is it okay to hate nasty people? Because I do, they're all cunts. Don't know many genuinely nasty people, but they are out there.

Quote from: "Frinky"You know, I've always wondered if that was true. I suppose there must be, but still. If there's someone who's truely nasty, then there's usually a reason for it, which I can kind of forgive then. Is that right? No, probably not.
Yes

lankinpark

I loathe people who either consciously or unconsciously live up to stereotypes. Don't they realise the damage they're doing?

More than that, I loathe writers/actors/anyone involved in making TV programmes/films/books which propagate stereotypes. It's the same damage several miliion times over. Particularly the irritating stereotypes: the lairy students, the screaming gay blokes, the chicken-headed black women, the "chavs"...

slim

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"What do you mean?
By the marketeers - tweaking us through media, exploiting our desire to do better and succeed, which is based on the self-preservation motive. Promoting the idea of looking after yourself over others, spending what you earn on your immediate environment, luxuries, that kind of thing.

Melth

People who cite shopping as an interest

People who try to sustain childishly hyperbolic opinions into adulthood. A woman I met recently said something along the lines of "I can't stand the thought of my parents having sex. It makes me feel sick." To which I replied "Well, the thought surely doesn't impinge on you very much, does it? In any case, grow up."

More generally, the sort of cunt who makes fun of the way other people look. In particular, the contempt of young people for the elderly fucks me off no end.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Oh people who describe their musical taste as "oh, allsorts really".

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"people who describe their musical taste as "oh, allsorts really".

What's wrong with that?

Lee

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"people who describe their musical taste as "oh, allsorts really".

What's wrong with that?
It's annoyingly vague. And if someone ever says to me "er... anything really" then in response I immediately play them a bit of Merzbow. Once they've chucked the earphones at me I then ask the same question and they're a bit more specific.

I still hate magicians more though.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I hate being asked the 'So, what music are you into?' question anyway. I never know whether to cite genres or specific bands. I really should have a pat answer ready, but I never have.

Sometimes I use John Peel's response to the question, which is 'Something I've never heard before'. But say that in the wrong tone and it just sounds smartarsey and evasive.

I suppose it's easier if you're only into heavy metal or onto into reggae, but if you genuinely are into 'allsorts really' what do you say?

Lee

Just list some of your favourite stuff? Everyone's got a few artists/songs they like above others, that's the kind of stuff I'd be interested to hear if I ever asked someone that question.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Oh people who describe their musical taste as "oh, allsorts really".

I dont mind that, its when people start prattling on about not wanting to fit into boxes and all that jazz. Especially moreso when what they have listed/their entire output would fit in entirely one box, if you wanted to be funny about it.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I think it depends whether or not the person doing the asking knows a fair amount about music. If they don't particularly, then citing non-Coldplay type bands might generate double takes and 'Who's he then?' questions which I might not have the energy for. I know this from bitter experience in the past where I would tell people in the office that the two people I really liked were Frank Zappa and Carole King.

chand

I tend not to answer the music question. I genuinely do like lots of genres of music, and it's impossible to say it without coming across like a cunt.

Labian Quest

You've always got the option of making up a bandname, just to see if they then pretend to have heard of them.

'Oh, I like Breast of the electrical retention*'

* I got that from here

Xerxes & Friends

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"I hate being asked the 'So, what music are you into?' question anyway. I never know whether to cite genres or specific bands. I really should have a pat answer ready, but I never have.

Ooh, yes, to me it's exactly the same as the "So, where are you from?" question, I am just as lost.  The thing about it is, people don't really want to know.  They don't really care where you're from, or what kind of music you're into.  It's just like saying "Sum yourself up for me, will you?  I can't be arsed getting to know you on any meaningful level."  You can tell by the way they never go on to quiz you in depth about your love for Throwing Muses, or childhood in Budleigh Salterton, or whatever.  They just nod and go "right, yeah" in a "ah, I've got the full measure of you now" kind of way.  Probably.

Mind you, I've never been comfortable with the idea of being defined by what I like.

chand

Quote from: "Labian Quest"You've always got the option of making up a bandname, just to see if they then pretend to have heard of them.

'Oh, I like Breast of the electrical retention*'

* I got that from here

It depends whether I'm talking to someone who I think would know obscure bands anyway. A lot of people don't, and that's fine, but I don't feel comfortable dropping obscure bandnames, nor would I feel comfortable just mentioning the more popular bands I like.

Not only with really obscure artists, either, I just hate having to explain stuff like that. I once came back to work and a girl went through my HMV bag and asked me about Aphex Twin 'hmm, what do they sing?', and I don't have a soundbite ready to explain Aphex Twin to people.

Lee

Quote from: "Xerxes & Friends"You can tell by the way they never go on to quiz you in depth about your love for Throwing Muses, or childhood in Budleigh Salterton, or whatever.
Thing is, that's exactly the kind of thing I AM interested in. So maybe my opinion on this subject is distorted.

chand

Quote from: "Xerxes & Friends"Mind you, I've never been comfortable with the idea of being defined by what I like.

Which is of course entirely reasonable, but try saying that to someone you've just met in a pub without sounding like a tool.

Neil

Quote from: "chand"I tend not to answer the music question. I genuinely do like lots of genres of music, and it's impossible to say it without coming across like a cunt.

Yeah I find that too, and I wonder if I'm alone in being slightly offended when someone says something like 'this isn't really your type of thing.'

I have mentioned it before but I really hate anyone who wears their polo/rugby shirt collar up. It is a totally contrived look sported by people who feel the need to project how middle class they are.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "chand"
Not only with really obscure artists, either, I just hate having to explain stuff like that. I once came back to work and a girl went through my HMV bag and asked me about Aphex Twin 'hmm, what do they sing?', and I don't have a soundbite ready to explain Aphex Twin to people.

If they ask you a silly question, you can give them a silly answer then, like 'I'm into everything really, from Mozart to Motorhead'

humanleech

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Don't we often 'hate' people who are comfortable doing what we secretly want to do? I hate loud people in pubs, for example, but that's surely because I'm jealous of their confidence and wish I too had the gift of the gab. Conversely, a confident bloke once confessed to me that he was envious of shy people because 'they're comfortable keeping quiet and don't ruin things with their big mouths'.
Blokey blokes who hate softly-spoken, fey men - they hate them because they're intimidated by how comfortable the fey men are, don't they? They resent the fact that society dictates they must be blokey.
Yes. Hatred of people usually comes from envy. I might not want to be the person who leaves their car running outside my house for ten minutes, but what makes me hate them is their feeling of freedom not to care about what other people feel.
That's the nature of envy, and it's that which causes the build-up of anger that ends in hatred of others.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"

What's wrong with that?

It's really just a social convention thing.  If someone says "allsorts", it's annoying because I don't know whether that means they have an eclectic taste encompassing a multitude of genres and sub-genres, or whether they mean "whatever's in the charts, a few oldies, and that bit of Bach off the old cigar ad."  More often than not, it's the latter and indicates that music is relatively unimportant to them.

If someone tells me they love "country and western", I know I can divert the conversation to something else, like sport or tv or something in the news.  If it's a musical genre that I like or know something about, I can go with that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Plus it's an annoyingly defensive response that intends to put out the message that you're open-minded and have a wide musical taste but comes across as though you have a particular taste in music but are too timid to discuss it and desperately don't want to be seen as different.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "chand"I tend not to answer the music question. I genuinely do like lots of genres of music, and it's impossible to say it without coming across like a cunt.

Yeah I find that too, and I wonder if I'm alone in being slightly offended when someone says something like 'this isn't really your type of thing.'

Yeah, I can see this point of view, it's just people who say "allsorts really" without any elaboration, leaving you at a conversational dead end.  At least if they mention certain genres/sub-genres or artists or a recent album or gig they've experienced, you can pick up on one or two of them, (or decide that you don't want a conversation about music with that person).

JJJJH

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"I live a life where I consider there to be two types of people in the world - good and bad.  I realise things aren't always so black and white, but I've always tried to find out who life's decent people are and stick with them.  We only get to go around the once (as is my understanding), it's all too short to waste time bickering.
Well as you admitted, most people aren't that polarised. There are some people in the world that will kick your head in with no consideration for your pleas and cries, but they're in the tiny minority. I have friends that are sound by my standards, but that would disgust and anger other mates I have. But I would still consider them my friends. I see these people as decent and compatible with me for reasons I'm not really sure of, despite stark differences we might have in opinion and temperament. I don't really know any good or bad people, and I'm not really sure what would help me define them in either category. As much as I've tried to justify being friends with people of varying and conflicting temperaments and personalities, all I really know is that I enjoy being in the company of one friend's personality as much as another, no matter how different they are, and I wouldn't wish to change these people at all.

Quote from: "Ciarán"I hate the factors which bring about their social and economic depravation in the first place. That is worthy of hatred. But ignorant people? Of course not!
Excellent point. There are too many factors that go into creating a person, and it's unfair (as easy as it is* sometimes) to hate the sum of the parts instead of the ingredients themselves. I'm not sure if that reasoning can apply to Vernon Kaye, though.

Quote from: "kenneth trousers"I have mentioned it before but I really hate anyone who wears their polo/rugby shirt collar up. It is a totally contrived look sported by people who feel the need to project how middle class they are.
Bollocks to that. If I wear a collared t-shirt with the collar up, it's to hide my hairy neck when standing in front of beautiful girlies! And to look really cool and mint.

*And fun...