Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:05:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Strands of society you have a (possibly irrational) unshakeable hatred of

Started by 23 Daves, December 19, 2005, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some Herbert

Quote from: "mook"Mind, the first thing I do when I get home is go and get changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, and turn the heating up full whack if it's a bit chilly

Can I nominate Mook?

Some Herbert

Quote from: "mayer"Students today don't turn up to lectures. I certainly didn't. In four years at University I never learned a single thing at a lecture.

That rather depends on the course. If you were on an arts course or some piss-easy course then yes, lectures are probably slightly pointless. However, I very nearly came a cropper when I missed almost a terms-worth of a subsidiary maths module in my physics degree. Luckily I pulled myself out of my apathetic spree and ploughed through the huge wedge of handouts for the lectures I'd missed. Anyone missing too many lectures in my degree would have been destined for the dumpster.

QuoteLectures are there for PhD students, proffessors and bookwriters to earn a wage whilst they smoke shit grass and insult kids in the pub.

You're very sneering about earning a wage. Presumably you live on just fresh air? Having known dozens of the first two of those groups, I'd say that they smoke no more shit grass than students do (since they probably get it from the same source) and they've got far better things to do than talk about their hopeless students in the pub.

mook

Quote from: "Some Herbert"
Quote from: "mook"Mind, the first thing I do when I get home is go and get changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, and turn the heating up full whack if it's a bit chilly

Can I nominate Mook?

Of course you can me old flower. Actually, it's getting a bit too warm in here now, what to do? What to do? Take off the t-shirt or crack open a couple of windows? Hmm, quandries.

mayer

SH, you're right. I missed a load of lectures on a Physics course (one I desperately wanted to change from), and it was dumpsterville for me by the end of the year. I assumed Lalla was talking about arts subjects from the content of his posts though.

Quote from: "Some Herbert"You're very sneering about earning a wage. Presumably you live on just fresh air?

What nonsense. I currently earn sixty-five pence an hour over the minimum wage, this despite my first class degree.

I'm sneery about teachers... sages... the learned, treating their pupils, their disciples, the people they're meant to be imparting the knowledge of generations to, as a paycheck they don't give a fuck about.

Many tutors (Anthony Hatzymoysis, this means you), could barely veil their contempt for either the students or the "basic" subject matter they were teaching.

I was objecting to Lalla's notion of hardworking tutors being fanny-ed around by lazy students who want spoonfeeding to get degrees because all they care about is money.

Over half of my tutors saw undergraduates as an inconvenience that got in the way of their real job, impressing other academics through papers and books. And some didn't try to hide that fact. It was insulting.

Mister Cairo

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"I know a few people who work in higher education, and they're constantly dismayed by 'today's students' - one change they note is that students now see themselves as consumers, people who have a right to complain if the course isn't going exactly how they want it

From my experience I've found that students are more annoyed with seminar and lecture cutbacks-instigated by management and some of the Heads of Department or whatever they are called.  The majority of the faculty are in agreement with students' anger at these problems. I'm surprised they seem so dismayerd at students complaing about the course-I suppose it depends what the complaints are. But like I've said, I've found most faculty members very keen to take on board student feedback-I've even been to an English Department focus group where we gave feedback on the course as a whole. The fact that only three people turned up did depress me, although it was at 9am on a day when we have no lectures or seminars, so many people may have been at work. I've found that the higher up the Department you go, the more likely people are to side with management, whereas amny of my seminar tutors have been very critical of the vice-chancellor and the management side of things.

wasp_f15ting

Well at least on my course Politics & Law we have excellent tutors, to be honest they only give back what you give them. They do require you to read though. I have to do a few hours of research per unit, per seminar, when I do this; I find that lectures impart very valuable nuances that I failed to see during my reading of the subject matter. This is where lecturers are at their strongest. We as students have a limited knowledge of the vast space of research out there.

When you invest enough time to challenge the work that your lecturers give you, they have to defend the honour of their position. This results in the best discussions, leading to stuff that I have never thought about during my own reading time. As with everything in life you only get what you give, a lot of people sound like utter idiots in seminars when they miss the core text readings.

If every student spent a few hours doing some work we'd be in a better world. Most often you end up with only 3 interpretations, yourself if you have read it, the lecturer and the over keen student who has time on his/her hands. Coming to a degree level requires you to love your subject.

My uncle who is a professor of Japanese and East Asian politics tells me that good students allow for better writing of his own work. He lectures in MIT over in the US and when I told him about what happens in universities around here, he was scared, suggesting that he'd go mad if the same happened in the US.

Maybe they should start kicking students out as soon as they slack on work. Getting deadline extensions are so easy its little wonder students even finish on time...

Mister Cairo

I agree, although I would add it's important to find out why students aren't doing the work-I know of one or two students who had mental health problems that got in the way. A one to one with their Personal Tutor (which is another kettle of cod, some PT's don't put in as much effort as others) is a good way of sorting out problems.

High Roller

People like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4569006.stm

Can't you just f-off and do something useful in your life that bleat about how hard-done-by you are.

Black can mean a variety of things. It's people like you that twist them into being offensive when they are not. Take your short-sighted moronic comments and shove them.

Mister Cairo

The officer's also given ammunition to the right-wing press. They can use that case as an example of PC Madness (and it is madness, I agree) and in doing so cleverly smear real examples of racism.

For example "First PC's compain about museum names, now they...

Probably no-one watches BBC Parliment apart from me (it is interesting in parts).  In some beabtre in the House of Lords Baroness Scotland made a long speech about how she was a "woman of colour" in order to get the religious hatred bill passed. Why she had to go on a long rant about her country, her ethnic makeup in order to get support I have no idea. I could see the point she was making "If someone attacks you for being black, then you can be punished, but not if you are attacked because of your religion" but she faled to point out that relgion, unlike ethnicity, is the cause of division in the world today. I just felt there was a sense of "I'm a black religous woman, and..." when she was largly irrelevent to the debate.

mayer

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"but she faled to point out that relgion, unlike ethnicity, is the cause of division in the world today

Eh?

Mister Cairo

Yeah I worded that badly. I should have written that religion can be a cause of division in the world today. Someone's ethnicity is in itself not going to cause tension, so does not need to be criticized. How someone resonds to ethnicity however, may need to be.

humanleech

Quote from: "High Roller"People like this:
Black can mean a variety of things. It's people like you that twist them into being offensive when they are not. Take your short-sighted moronic comments and shove them.
Black people are brown and white people are pink, in my experience. I'm quite pale, but still I look like a strawberry ice cream.

monkhouse terror

Quote from: "mayer"Many tutors (Anthony Hatzymoysis, this means you), could barely veil their contempt for either the students or the "basic" subject matter they were teaching.
Hahaha! I went to a talk by him on a University of Manc. open day (I am (probably) starting there next year, doing Philosophy), I was amazed, he was one of the rudest bastards I've ever seen. It was hard to stop myself from laughing as all the other kids were asking fairly standard questions like, 'what does your department think about taking deferred entry' and after every question he just rolled his eyes and said something along the lines of 'ALL THIS IS ANSWERED IN THE PROSPECTUS, I ADVISE YOU TO READ IT'. At one point someone asked a question that had been answered earlier and he just shook his head and ignored it.

mayer

Heheheh, good stuff! I had him in first year (Ethics, which I never did again at Uni), and third year (Satre, bloody difficult and having him made it worse!).

If yer lucky, you'll get Graham Stevens for some modules. He is a king amongst men! I had him for Analytic Philosophy and Locke, Berkely, Hume. He's a fantastic tutor and a fantastic human being.

He's just gotten his first book (about Russell) published, but with the amount of time, care, consideration and interest he has in his students and the courses he teaches you'd be amazed he had the time!

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "mayer"Heheheh, good stuff! I had him in first year (Ethics, which I never did again at Uni), and third year (Satre, bloody difficult and having him made it worse!).

If yer lucky, you'll get Graham Stevens for some modules. He is a king amongst men! I had him for Analytic Philosophy and Locke, Berkely, Hume. He's a fantastic tutor and a fantastic human being.

He's just gotten his first book (about Russell) published, but with the amount of time, care, consideration and interest he has in his students and the courses he teaches you'd be amazed he had the time!

Hey mayer, I've applied to do a PhD at Manchester (3rd choice, admittedly). Do you know anything about it's Middle East department? Are there any staff I should avoid?

Mister Cairo

Not sure if this counts as a strand since it's media-related.

However, is anyone else sick of DJ's and TV announcers telling you to "stay with us" or "don't go away, we've got..."

I tuned into Virgin Radio today and the presenter (not sure who) said something similar to "Where have you been? Why haven't you been listening instead of lying in bed reading books? You've missed four hundred fantastic songs"

As if he has any say over my habits. I could sit there wanking over the shipping forcast and his opinion on that would be invalid.

humanleech

While doing some extra-mural courses at at Essex University a few years ago, I found myself the office of a lecturer who taught 'Cultural Studies'. At the top of a pile of essays he was marking was an essay about Dr.Who. Is this really what a university is for?
My experience was at that time ws that students saw University as just another step on the career ladder, nothing special. It should be special, dammit, it should be the best time of your life.

mayer

Quote from: "Evil Knevil"
Hey mayer, I've applied to do a PhD at Manchester (3rd choice, admittedly). Do you know anything about it's Middle East department? Are there any staff I should avoid?

I only ever did one Mid-East related thing at Uni (an essay on Syrian involvement in Lebanon three years back), and that was supervised by this chap:

David Pool, (BA Manchester University; MSc School of Oriental Studies, London; PhD Princeton University). A nice chap from the little I saw him (I was very lax in first year), knows his stuff very well and is prepared to help you out if you put the hours in.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"
I tuned into Virgin Radio today and the presenter (not sure who) said something similar to "Where have you been? Why haven't you been listening instead of lying in bed reading books? You've missed four hundred fantastic songs"

When I was a kid, I used to think the DJs had live access to the listening statistics and could actually see when people were tuning in and out - hence, I believed they came out with lines like the above in a panic.  It made it sound quite funny.

It's a shame it doesn't operate under that system actually, that way some DJs might be able to see a massive switch-off everytime they start talking or playing shit.

lankinpark

Quote from: "humanleech"While doing some extra-mural courses at at Essex University a few years ago, I found myself the office of a lecturer who taught 'Cultural Studies'. At the top of a pile of essays he was marking was an essay about Dr.Who. Is this really what a university is for?

One of my two final year dissertation equivalents (BA Creative Writing) was about Doctor Who. It was the first two chapters of a novel about a boy whose only male role model while growing up was the Doctor.

Is that acceptable?

Maximash

Okay, sorry for being serious because this isn't irrational in the slightest, but:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

Anyone who is involved with or in agreement with anything on this site.

The Plaque Goblin

QuoteLeviticus 18:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

QuoteLeviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

The Plaque Goblin

Quote1 Samuel 20

20:40 And Jonathan gave his artillery unto his lad, and said unto him, Go, carry them to the city.

20:41 And as soon as the lad was gone, David arose out of a place toward the south, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed himself three times: and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded.

20:42 And Jonathan said to David, Go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the name of the LORD, saying, The LORD be between me and thee, and between my seed and thy seed for ever. And he arose and departed: and Jonathan went into the city.

Quote2 Samuel 1
1:25 How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle! O Jonathan, thou wast slain in thine high places.  

1:26 I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

1:27 How are the mighty fallen, and the weapons of war perished!

Aw.

TraceyQ

Maximash, probably best you put that link as a cut'n'paste as the idiots at that site will see wheere the traffic is coming from and could cause trouble.

Funny how they always stop quoting Leviticus before they get to this bit,

QuoteLev 11:10-12 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.  Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

The cunts.

All Surrogate

Quote from: "The Plaque Goblin"
QuoteLeviticus 18:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

QuoteLeviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
The thing is, I don't lie with mankind as with womankind - that's the point.

humanleech

Quote from: "lankinpark"
Quote from: "humanleech"While doing some extra-mural courses at at Essex University a few years ago, I found myself the office of a lecturer who taught 'Cultural Studies'. At the top of a pile of essays he was marking was an essay about Dr.Who. Is this really what a university is for?
One of my two final year dissertation equivalents (BA Creative Writing) was about Doctor Who. It was the first two chapters of a novel about a boy whose only male role model while growing up was the Doctor.
Is that acceptable?
Yes of course (as long as it was Jon Pertwee and/or Tom Baker anyway).