Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:51:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Strands of society you have a (possibly irrational) unshakeable hatred of

Started by 23 Daves, December 19, 2005, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I hate the strands of society that gather around bus stops or public toilets or park benches and then try and cause trouble.

I hate the strands of society that blame cyclists, speed cameras and 'the left' for everything that's wrong in the world.

I also hate most of the people that inhabit the national media too.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Neil"
As for me, I just can't abide trendy hipsters.

Me neither, they just do nothing for my figure.

Morrisfan82

I hate pretend-men-hating men who tar me with their warped little universalising brush in order to exonerate themselves of whatever reflected pseudo-guilt they've accumulated from hanging around with 'Hollyoaks: On The Pull' types. ;)

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "DevlinC"

Quote from: "Peking O"Really? What about all the great art, literature, music, films, etc. that have could be classed as "Americana"? Burn all traces of them too?

That's right, burn it all! It wouldn't be missed by anyone, and if it is then we'll kill them too!

I'm guessing you must be joking here

QuoteI hate people who witter on about "chavs" - oh hooray, we've got our own rednecks to focus our Two Minutes Hate on now! It's bullshit. I don't drink, wouldn't wear Burberry if you paid me, (the chav stereotype fashion has probably moved on by now but anyway) have no jewellery - and yet I recently overheard some some young chinless wonder with regulation emo uniform insinuating I was a "chav" to his equally chinless friend. I may be broke, but a "chav"? If that's all the term "chav" now is, a euphemism for "poor", then all the anti-"chav" ranting around here is starting to look very unsavoury indeed. Maybe I'm being sensitive to nothing, but it seems that po' white trash get castigated for existing by richer white trash.

We've had this argument before. It's nothing to do with class, it's do with being violent thieving anti-social cunts. Chav is not a euphemism for poor. Most of my family back home are from poor, working class neighbourhoods. None of them are chavs, even though some of them dress in the same kinds of clothes. If someone called you a chav for no good reason that's their problem.

El Unicornio, mang

Bush voter = idiot. Simple equation.

Not true. Many of them idiots, many of them ill-informed, many of them scared of voting in a weak flip-flopper like Kerry, but they're not all idiots. Sorry to get defensive but I have family and friends here who, for whatever reason, voted for Bush, so having them called idiots who deserve death is quite offensive to me.

And keep in mind that under half of Americans voted in the election anyway, so it's more like 1/4 of Americans who voted for Bush

mayer

What if you vote Bush, and you own an Oil company and are a Director of a weapons manufacturer, don't like black people and have no morals?

Quote from: "DevilnC"Bush voter = idiot. Simple equation.

I disagree.

EDIT: Uni, I'm not saying you have to be those things to vote Bush! Or an idiot. People like to tar everyone who disagrees with them, especially on political subjects, either as a "right wing bigot", "loonie leftie", or "idiot", because that way they never have to think about their own political beliefs. It's lazy and arrogant.

Big Jack McBastard

hencole

Do people really hate groups of people? I find that quite dissapointing. I can't say I've ever hated anyone (since being a teenager) let alone a group of people. I prefer to look down on, feel sorry for, feel angry  for or pity them. As they say, hate is such a strong word. Or is this all just a venting of pent up rage thread?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "hencole"Do people really hate groups of people? I find that quite dissapointing. I can't say I've ever hated anyone (since being a teenager) let alone a group of people. I prefer to look down on, feel sorry for, feel angry  for or pity them. As they say, hate is such a strong word. Or is this all just a venting of pent up rage thread?

Well, personally my hatred comes from fear. I hate whatever/whoever makes me feel like I have to compromise my life. I hate 'chavs' (not poor people or people who dress a certain way, I mean groups of young thugs) because, growing up in a town full of them, they made me feel unsafe, and myself and all of my friends had violent run-ins with them at some point or other, mainly due to the fact we were "different" (in other words, we had "hippy hair" (anything longer than a skinhead) and wore "poof" clothes (anything other than a tracksuit).

I don't have any hatred for upper class snobs or students or Bush supporters or whatever because I have no fear of them.

Ciarán2

I don't hate any group of people at all really. I'd go further than Hencole there though. Who the hell am I to look down on anyone? I've no idea how to live my own life.

I hate institutions and aspects of culture, I'm hostile and skeptical about these things. But I try to give people the respect which they always deserve. I hope this doesn't provoke a big argument now...

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Not true. Many of them idiots, many of them ill-informed, many of them scared of voting in a weak flip-flopper like Kerry

Weak flip-flopper? Good lord, the Republican propaganda machine worked well, didn't it. People can change opinions, politicians or not. This did not make Kerry a "weak flip-flopper". It made him the best President the country could have chosen - someone who wasn't neccessarily going to just stick blindly to things, like Bush does.. like Republicans generally.

QuoteSorry to get defensive but I have family and friends here who, for whatever reason, voted for Bush, so having them called idiots who deserve death is quite offensive to me.

They don't "deserve death", I never put it in those terms. But I do want them to pay for what they've unleashed on the world. Whatever form that payback takes, I want it to happen.

Sorry about your family and friends being stupid enough to give him their support. For me, it's like voting Hitler in for a second term. Go ahead, someone pick up on that and say "comparing him to Hitler is ignorant, it belittles the Holocaust". The fact is, Bush is using the same tactics Hitler did to control his populace - that makes him as bad, no matter whether or not he'll go to the extremes that the latter eventually did. Although it doesn't seem that far fetched really, considering the torture camps, the "Patriot Act" etc.

QuoteAnd keep in mind that under half of Americans voted in the election anyway, so it's more like 1/4 of Americans who voted for Bush

Yeah, good point. So the rest are just too lazy to even care? Because really, what difference would it have made to America whether Bush or Kerry were in power? Not a great deal. But it would have made a huge difference to the rest of the world. Well, the Americans gave us a huge "fuck you" by not caring enough to tick a box, so fuck them too.

I live a life where I consider there to be two types of people in the world - good and bad.  I realise things aren't always so black and white, but I've always tried to find out who life's decent people are and stick with them.  We only get to go around the once (as is my understanding), it's all too short to waste time bickering.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Well, personally my hatred comes from fear. I hate whatever/whoever makes me feel like I have to compromise my life. I hate 'chavs' (not poor people or people who dress a certain way, I mean groups of young thugs) because, growing up in a town full of them, they made me feel unsafe, and myself and all of my friends had violent run-ins with them at some point or other, mainly due to the fact we were "different" (in other words, we had "hippy hair" (anything longer than a skinhead) and wore "poof" clothes (anything other than a tracksuit).

Well as I wrote above, I get the same feeling from the people in the place I grew up in, on a run-down council estate in the northside of Dublin. But I don't hate those people, I hate the factors which bring about their social and economic depravation in the first place. That is worthy of hatred. But ignorant people? Of course not! I hate aspects of bourgeois culture too, but I respect middle class people. I'll try to weigh up their arguments as I find them, I'm less inclined to do that where I live as the people nearby aren't as educated as I am and we're already speaking a different language.

QuoteI don't have any hatred for upper class snobs or students or Bush supporters or whatever because I have no fear of them.

Yes, I think it is all down to fear, and it's silly really isn't it?

Ciarán2

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"I live a life where I consider there to be two types of people in the world - good and bad.  I realise things aren't always so black and white, but I've always tried to find out who life's decent people are and stick with them.  We only get to go around the once (as is my understanding), it's all too short to waste time bickering.

That's the best way, I think. Good on yer, sport! ;-)

hulahoops

Quote from: "DevlinC"So the rest are just too lazy to even care? Because really, what difference would it have made to America whether Bush or Kerry were in power? Not a great deal. But it would have made a huge difference to the rest of the world. Well, the Americans gave us a huge "fuck you" by not caring enough to tick a box, so fuck them too.

There are many reasons why Americans don't vote.  Yes, some of them are just lazy.  However, it may be that a) they make a conscious decision not to vote as they are unhappy with both candidates, something I think is foolish but I nonetheless sympathise with the feeling, or, more likely, b) they feel as if their vote doesn't matter.  There are massive sections of the American public who feel that our "democracy" doesn't really involve them at all or do anything for them, and who do not believe that their vote counts.  (Often, well, it doesn't.  See Florida in 2000.)   The very low rate of turnout at elections, (which was actually higher in 2004 than I thought it was when I looked it up a little while ago)  is more likely symptomatic of people feeling ignored by the system than sheer stupidity and laziness.  

And, um, I hate anti-smokers.  Not just non-smokers, but the ones who feel the need to tell you how bad for you and the world smoking is every single time you have a cigarette and look pointedly at you if you happen to cough.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "hulahoops"There are many reasons why Americans don't vote.  Yes, some of them are just lazy.  However, it may be that a) they make a conscious decision not to vote as they are unhappy with both candidates, something I think is foolish but I nonetheless sympathise with the feeling, or, more likely, b) they feel as if their vote doesn't matter.  There are massive sections of the American public who feel that our "democracy" doesn't really involve them at all or do anything for them, and who do not believe that their vote counts.  (Often, well, it doesn't.  See Florida in 2000.)   The very low rate of turnout at elections, (which was actually higher in 2004 than I thought it was when I looked it up a little while ago)  is more likely symptomatic of people feeling ignored by the system than sheer stupidity and laziness.  

Yes. I agree utterly with that. It applies to the UK and Ireland too, though, doesn't it? But yes, you're right on the button there. Where I live (in a fairly deprived part of Dublin) the electoral frontier bizarrely includes a strip of road* containing really well-to-do families (doctors, lawyers, professors) who tend to vote Fianna Fail or Fine Gael, so it would involve a massive swell of the vote in the really poor areas where I live, in favour of radical change, in the face of voter apathy, to get even one ccandidate elected on their behalf.

*That's North Glasnevin, Dubliners.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Don't we often 'hate' people who are comfortable doing what we secretly want to do? I hate loud people in pubs, for example, but that's surely because I'm jealous of their confidence and wish I too had the gift of the gab. Conversely, a confident bloke once confessed to me that he was envious of shy people because 'they're comfortable keeping quiet and don't ruin things with their big mouths'.

Blokey blokes who hate softly-spoken, fey men - they hate them because they're intimidated by how comfortable the fey men are, don't they? They resent the fact that society dictates they must be blokey.

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"I hate loud people in pubs, for example, but that's surely because I'm jealous of their confidence and wish I too had the gift of the gab.

I've been told many times by many different people that I have that...and trust me, it's over-rated.  I really wish I had less to say.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, the whole jealousy thing is really bloody irritating way of explaining hatred. Ooh, you hate Richard Ayoade, you're just jealous of him. Bullshit. People annoy me normally because they do something I would never want to do rather than something I wish I could do, if that makes any sense.

Mister Cairo

People who dither in town centres. Especially in shops. I'm sick of having to ask saggy people to move out of the way. How long does it take people to look at books in a charity shop? I'm not talking about picking a book off the shelf and inspecting a few pages, I'm talking about people who spend ages trying to work out what all the books are, standing in the middle as if they are hypnotized by Terry Pratchett. It really pisses me off having to wait ages for people to finish running their eyes up and down the shelves. Are all their brains burned out on shit television? Also people who walk in the middle of the pavement, as opposed to walking on one side, so other people can get past.

Whoever comes up with news formats. In particular the ones where patronizing and uneeded visual metaphors are used. And do they increase ratings? Do they fuck. People don't watch it because they feel they are being talked down to. It's a scandel that the people who format out news treat us like small children having a picture book read to them. Every time I watch the news with someone, we take the piss out of the stupid presentation. Either my social circle and family are all keen media analyists, or this obsession with dumbing down is counter-productive.

People who hurt animals for fun. I want to see life bans on these people keeping animals. How the fuck should someone who has set a guinea pig alight be allowed to own an animal four years down the line? If someone I knew did that I'd make sure they never did it again, believe me. Also I'd like to see harsher prison sentences and some form of property confiscation. Cut a dog's ears off? You're not having that fucking XBox any more, you inhuman arsehole.

People who get sex because of their fame/money, not because of their looks or personality. e.g. Peter Stringfellow, some rock artists (though I still like their music), Stephen Norris.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Yeah, the whole jealousy thing is really bloody irritating way of explaining hatred. Ooh, you hate Richard Ayoade, you're just jealous of him. Bullshit. People annoy me normally because they do something I would never want to do rather than something I wish I could do, if that makes any sense.

You don't like Richard Ayoade's performance (or non-performance), but you don't hate him really. You don't know him. In a sense, maybe you are jealous, as I am, that he is in a position to deliver this performance where someone else would do better. I think we tend to misdirect our anger at people rather than actions. The word "cunt" has become extra popular in the last year or two hasn't it? No, Richard Ayoade probably shouldn't be getting away with it for so long, but we can only really direct our anger at "Richard Ayoade", the concept, rather than the actual person Richard Ayoade who we know nothing about really.

Yes, "Richard Ayoade: The Concept", you can have that one, E4.

El Unicornio, mang

They don't "deserve death", I never put it in those terms. But I do want them to pay for what they've unleashed on the world. Whatever form that payback takes, I want it to happen.

Well, I have to say that I agree that they need to learn a hard lesson in some way other than gas prices going up by a few cents. The mounting body count of US soldiers and the rising cost of the war is making somewhat of a dent, but other than that, it's hard to teach the biggest superpower in the world a lesson they can learn from. It took the British empire hundreds of years to learn, and keep in mind that the US military barely scraped the top 10 in terms of power half a century ago, so they're still new to the whole world domination game. For me, the key to changing America is through the media, and a media that is tightly regulated to be fair and balanced and informative rather than manipulative, sensationalist and based around, as America is, money.

TraceyQ

After walking into town I realise I do actually loathe "most other people". How do they get through life being so ugly?

pillockandtwat

I hate people who are much, much richer than me. If you have sixty million quid in the bank, say, I will probably give you the benefit of the doubt at the outset, because I know I'm prejudiced. However, if you put foot wrong, then believe me I will hate your fucking guts out. I will imagine fondly being part of a bolshevik terror squad that has come to forcibly redistribute your wealth, standing on your driveway in the middle of the night, with our rifles, hoping you will be stupid enough to come out with your antique hunting shotgun.

I went to public school myself, though, and as you might imagine, my family are okay for money. I think, on pondering this thread, my public school background probably explains the obvious sanctimoniousness of many of my political postings, you know, about Iraq and stuff like that. You are going to be a bit of twat if you went to public school, but you have to be grateful for it - not for being a twat, mind, but for getting a decent education (or at least a decent education being there if you wanted to make use of it). Mine was alright, anyway, the educational part.

Quote from: "TraceyQ"I do actually loathe "most other people".

Yeeeez.  I can only agree with you implicitly.

My dad, an otherwise lovely and fluffy man without an ounce of dislike in his body, has a thing about men with earrings.  Although he doesn't hate them, he seems to disapprove of gentlemen with the aforementioned type of jewellry with a mumbled "He'sgorrabloodyearring."  This is now a running family joke, so much so that we had it about five times when looking around the National Portait Gallery and spotting Shakespeare's in-lobe metal danglers.  Everyonelaugheditwashilarious.

I seem to have developed a similar reaction to men who wear alice bands in their hair - especially when wandering the streets and not performing in a sporting match.  I will, just about, forgive you if you're a long-haired type who needs to keep his excess fur out his eyes - though I will still eye you with suspicion, but wearing an alice band in Safeways is quite wrong and is punishable by me going, "tut" and rolling my eyes.  You've been warned.

pillockandtwat

Leo Tolstoy wrote that we were born to suffer, and one had any doubt on the subject, one need only look at the number of ugly people around the places.

Things is, if you applied proper logic to his observation, this is only evidence that ugly people are born to suffer, surely?

hulahoops

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"Also people who walk in the middle of the pavement, as opposed to walking on one side, so other people can get past.

My Alexander teacher showed me a trick to avoid bumping into people in the street.  It's quite hard to explain so bear with me*.

Essentially you aim for the gap between people and head directly towards it, keep your head and eyes up and focus on the gap.  In theory, others will then see you in the same way as an object and walk around you.  There are obvious exceptions to this: the elderly, those with buggies, those with shopping, those who are approaching you at an angle, coming out of an alley for example, and those who stop dead in front of you.  You should then walk around them, establishing a gap to focus on as before.  However, I would personally condone the 'accidental' burning of a person's hand with a lit cigarette should they have the gall and stupidity to stop in the middle of the pavement.

It sounds a bit wank but does work most of the time.

*People who use the phrase 'bear with me' to mean "I am now go to offer you an incredibly inefficient service but don't complain now, there's a love".  Bitches.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"

*People who use the phrase 'bear with me' to mean "I am now go to offer you an incredibly inefficient service but don't complain now, there's a love".  Bitches.

Along similar lines, there's a guy in my office who prefaces everything with "Let me tell you something..." or "Listen..." which I find awfully rude.