Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films 2006

Started by VegaLA, January 02, 2006, 03:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

The first trailer I see for a movie this year and its yet another remake, 'When a stranger calls'. The second is X-Men 3. Lets hope 2006 does'nt bring a barraige of remakes and sequels but then why should this year be any different from last year ?
Anyway, links to trailers, Movie news and reviews post them here !

El Unicornio, mang

Rescue Dawn: http://www.gibraltarfilms.com/theatre/theatre_rd.html

Christian Bale making himself stick thin for a role, again

Spielberg's latest, Munich, about the aftermath of the terrorist attacks during the 1972 Olympics

http://imdb.com/title/tt0408306/trailers-screenplay-E25762-10-2

Been getting pretty good reviews

VegaLA

Just seen the trailer for the Horror film 'Hostel' which Tarrantino has association with. The trailer has used the old ' advanced screenings caused viewers to pass out...' type fluff that has'nt been used for a few decades. Anyway looks like a sick movie along the lines of The Devils Rejects and Saw.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "VegaLA"Just seen the trailer for the Horror film 'Hostel' which Tarrantino has association with. The trailer has used the old ' advanced screenings caused viewers to pass out...' type fluff that has'nt been used for a few decades. Anyway looks like a sick movie along the lines of The Devils Rejects and Saw.

Isn't that directed by Eli Roth?  His first film...'Cabin Fever'...has to be one of the most dire films I have ever seen in my life, ever.  And I thrive on cheesy low budget horror.  But that film was so appallingly bad it was untrue just how terrible it was.  See how angry it's made me!

Anyway, I'm looking very much forward to Silent Hill, which may yet prove to be the first ever decent game>movie adaptation!  (Please!)

Looking forward to the imminent release of Jarhead, myself.

Artemis

Personally, I think 'Aeon Flux ' is going to be a late but very strong contender in the Oscar stakes this year. It looks an immensely poignant piece of work.

Mr. Analytical

The Devils Rejects, Saw and Cabin Fever were all rubbish... so Hostel's starting out with negative karma for me.  As much as I love horror I hate US lite-horror that's not actually scary or shocking.

The whole "audience members passed out during pre-screenings" thing is a bit of a sham anyway.  Gaspar Noe proved this when he included noises pitched at 27Hz in his soundtrack.  Noises at that frequency produce the physiological response of making you feel ill, anxious and disorientated.  That audience members pass or walk out doesn't really say anything about the content of the film.  There was another film this year that wasn't horror but made people pass out simply because of the incessant camera movement giving them motion sickness.

I'm not expecting very much from Aeon Flux I must admit.  The cartoons were pretentious incoherent hogwash and I will be very much surprised if this translated into a decent film.  Fanboys will be creaming obviously though.

Am I the only person looking forward to Breakfast on Pluto then?  Cillian Murphy as a glam-rock era tranny?  directed by Neil Jordan?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThere was another film this year that wasn't horror but made people pass out simply because of the incessant camera movement giving them motion sickness.

I remember Mark Kermode talking about this film. I can't remember what the name of it was, but he said James King was actually sick in the theatre watching it. He also started shouting "Just stay still! Just keep the camera still! You're achieving nothing by moving the shot. There might be a good story in this film, but I can't tell as it was completely ruined by the direction.

It's very easy to make your audience dizzy with incessant camera movement and blurred focus

I was thinking it might have been 'The Beat that My Heart Skipped' but that got far too good reviews for it to have been that.

monkhouse terror

The only thing I'm waiting for this year is the trailer for this. It is a great title, and I can't wait to hear it being said by the 'IN A WORLD... ONE MAN... ONE DESTINY' bloke.

I think the motion sickness film that Kermode mentioned was Rag Tale: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0432432/

Films I'm looking forward to in 2006? From what I've seen so far in trailers and clips, Jarhead could be very good...Mendes hasn't put a foot wrong yet imho, even if American Beauty was overrated upon its release.

wheatgod

Looking forward to seeing Brokebum Mountain (arf) and Walk The Line, not strictly 2006 films but hey.
Yeh, Jarhead too.

falafel

Ooh, Snakes on a Plane. Sounds good.

Quote from: "falafel"Ooh, Snakes on a Plane. Sounds good.
I wonder what it'll be about....

Mr. Analytical

...And thus the Snakes on a Plane meme arrived at CaB.

Sam

I can't wait for Terrence Malick's latest, "The New World". It's got Christian Bale in too, but I'll be watching it for the amazing cinematography by the great Emmanuel Lubezski (Sleepy Hollow, Lemony Snickett, Y Tu Mama Tambien etc).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402399/

El Unicornio, mang

Oh yes, The New World. I've heard some people complaining that it's too long and has too many random lingering shots of trees and birds and whatnot, but they said that about The Thin Red Line too and I absolutely loved that film.

Superman Returns too, of course
http://imdb.com/title/tt0348150/trailers-screenplay-E25955-14-2

chumfatty

I've been looking forward to V for vendetta since it was delayed from a Bonfire NIght release last year.

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.uk/vforvendetta/

Hugo Weaving plays the lead role, with Natalie Portman as well. It's Graphic Novel adaptation from this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401207928/qid=1136213242/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl/202-1108986-2215834

IIts been done by the warczow... the wachoz.. errr the ones who did the Matrix Trilogy.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "chumfatty"I've been looking forward to V for vendetta since it was delayed from a Bonfire NIght release last year.

I was looking forward to it until I saw the trailer.  It looks like an action movie.  While I'd be the first to say that the second half of the graphic novel could have done with some trimming, it looks like they're focussing on the sturm und drang of the first part of V's plan (namely bumping off the members of the government).

Plus I absolutely HATE that they did away with the cool 1950's aesthetic of the comic and replaced it with modern day stuff and loads of guys in SWAT-style armour.

Suttonpubcrawl

Didn't someone post an excerpt from the film script for V for Vendetta in some thread a while back? I seem to remember reading a bit of it and it was absolutely full of crap dialogue clearly written by an American trying to make it sound English. You know the kind of stuff: "Cup of Char love? Cheerio!" "Ta darling, I love a nice cuppa, wot wot jolly good." "Let's all go to Big Ben!".

wasp_f15ting

I saw Syriana last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365737/

I am not sure what the hell was happening some of the time, but it was a good movie.  No happy endings or pay offs almost like a documentary.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

V for Vendetta would probably be a great film if it wasn't based on a brilliant graphic novel. If it was just another Warchowski Brothers-scripted blockbuster, it'd be alright, but sadly for them, it's based on one of the best graphics of all time, and they're not very good scriptwriters. The trailer looks like bog-standard fare, though Hugo Weaving will make a good 'V' in my opinion, and he does pretty cool in costume. John Hurt and Stephen Rea look the part too. Portman's accent is okay, though I never thought Evey was meant to be that posh. It all just looks a little clean and lacking in Moore's grit and grime. In fact, it looks From Hell all over again. Thank God they've got some British people playing British parts. My main gripe is that it's written by the Warchowski fucking Brothers, the living death of cinema. It's a shame Moore stipulated that his name by taken off the credits, so now legions of 15 year old boneheads will assume the Warchowski fucking Brothers 'created' V for Vendetta. Didn't Moore read the script and say that it had 'plotholes that wouldn't been acceptable in the Beano?' or something similiar.

It won't be as good as Craven's, but I'm secretly looking forward to this. Looks better than the TCM remake, even though it looks like a Marilyn Manson video:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thehillshaveeyes/trailera/

Suttonpubcrawl

Why did they get Natalie Portman to put on an English accent? Was Keira Knightley not available or something? They are after all the exact same person but with different accents, and surely Knightley's is more suited to the role.

Frinky

And Knightley is better looking.

After Domino, I lost faith in Knightley. Portman looks the part and she's a terrific actress, it's just her stilted 'oorr' accent and the fact that she looks asleep in most of the clips. She looks like she would join the revolution but only on her day off.

Yep Portman just looks miscast- Evey is meant to be 16 years old. And she's nowhere near as good an actress as everyone says...Leon is still her best film, performance-wise. In most other films she looks dull and bored whenever she's on screen, no charisma or energy at all. A mediocre talent, says I.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Knightley's one of those actresses that some women can't understand the male attraction to. I've been in several conversations now with my friends and some think she looks like a boy, and others think she's good-looking in 'an obvious kinds of way'. Hmm.

As an actress I don't rate her very highly at all and looks-wise I've always thought she was pretty, but not quite dazzlingly attractive. Nathalie Portman is in a similar league really. Neither of them are a patch on say, Julia Ormond but they'll get the parts on star attraction and age rather than on merit thanks to the Hollywood machine. "Oh, you're 40..now we're going to stop giving you lead roles- now you'll have to play beleagured housewives in christmas comedies, or lesbians in a life-affirming drama about relationships."

wheatgod

I'm yet to see a decent Knightley performance, and don't rate her high on looks - she has an inbred air about her.
But I'm open to surprises - if she puts in a great performance I'll be the first to sing her praises.

I think Knightley's very attractive, and she's an okay actress. She'll probably 'grow into herself' and become a much better actress once she shrugs off this posh young totty label. That's not to say she's brilliantly talented though. Portman was seen as Jodie Foster Mk II by some - young actress playing a fairly complex role in an adult movie, and playing it very well too (plus she sparks the same late-night conversations as Foster - is it wrong to find her slightly attractive in Leon?). Portman's never really matched her Leon performance though. She was terrible in the Star Wars prequels, but everyone else was too, so you didn't really notice. Alright in Garden State and Closer. Presumably she was cast in V for Vendetta to draw in the American audiences who might be put off by it being set in England. I'm genuinely surprised that the Warchowski Cunts didn't relocate it to Los Angeles circa 2034. That's one good thing to say about it. The other that I think of now is that Hugo Weaving replaced that dullard James Purefoy after 'artistic differences.' At least Weaving has some charisma and menace.

klaatu!

Here's three big'uns that I'm looking foward to.

New Lynch for 2006 - Inland Empire

A new P.T. Anderson project - There Will Be Blood

And Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep.