Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films 2006

Started by VegaLA, January 02, 2006, 03:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chumfatty

Right now I'm sticking my fingers in ears and going 'la la la la la I can't hear youu' because I was really looking forward to V for Vendetta, and I ignored the  'Action' Style of the teaser trailer and dismissed it as just showing the best action bits for a deeper film with a great look and fantastic dialogue. Obiviously I'm wrong and its gonna be shit, and of course I can still read whilst blocking out sound and singing.

Perhaps, because when I first read the Graphic novel some 10 years or so, I thought 'This would make a great movie!'  I guess I am pinning my hopes on it being as good as it deserves to be.

*SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK FOLLOWS*

I wonder if the will redo the ending on the London Underground considering what happend last year.

VegaLA

Quote from: "Dark Sky"
Quote from: "VegaLA"Just seen the trailer for the Horror film 'Hostel' which Tarrantino has association with. The trailer has used the old ' advanced screenings caused viewers to pass out...' type fluff that has'nt been used for a few decades. Anyway looks like a sick movie along the lines of The Devils Rejects and Saw.

Isn't that directed by Eli Roth?  His first film...'Cabin Fever'...has to be one of the most dire films I have ever seen in my life, ever.  And I thrive on cheesy low budget horror.  But that film was so appallingly bad it was untrue just how terrible it was.  See how angry it's made me!

Anyway, I'm looking very much forward to Silent Hill, which may yet prove to be the first ever decent game>movie adaptation!  (Please!)

I definetly agree with you there. I can't stand Cabin Fever and HATE Eli roth. Last year there was some doc on Horror movies, had all the greats, Romero, Argento, Hooper and Craven. Then Roth turns up spewing his shite. Pissed me off to no end the fact he was sharing the stage with those Horror greats. Having checked IMDB Roth also wrote the movie. I shall see it but I hope I don't like it.

Quote from: "jtc"And Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep

Amen to new Lynch and Anderson...but I remain unconvinced by Gondry as a feature film director. Human Nature was utter shite and Eternal Sunshine is a mumbling load of old nonsense, with the worst example of shoddy shaky-cam "this is realism!!!" direction this side of Lars Von Trier. Awful, awful work by a man who, based on his music videos, can do a lot, lot better.

Bogey

Quote from: "Artemis"Personally, I think 'Aeon Flux ' is going to be a late but very strong contender in the Oscar stakes this year. It looks an immensely poignant piece of work.

Peep Show fans, this film features Paterson Joseph, who plays Johnson!

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"
Am I the only person looking forward to Breakfast on Pluto then? Cillian Murphy as a glam-rock era tranny?  directed by Neil Jordan?
I've my eye on Breakfast On Pluto too. It's generally getting good (but not OMGbrill!!) reviews. Better than most cinema fodder though I'd say. IMDB currently has it at 7.3/10, which is (suspiciously) high on their scale.

It must be out soon enough over here.

Bogey

Oh, that reminds me, whatever happened to The Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne's film project "Christmas on Mars"? The imdb is unhelpful as usual.

I'd love to know what youse guys' problems with imdb are...It's a real gift for me, even with the precocious Yank teen fools.

It's from last year, but I saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose last night.

What a crock.

If you're going to make a courtroom drama, make a courtroom drama. If you're going to make a religious treatise, make a religious treatise. If you're going to make a horror movie, make a horror movie. Don't mix the three, because you'll only end up with frankly ludicrous results. Some of the things that happen in this film are just downright laughable. And it's about as scary as a walk in the park on sunny Sunday afternoon. The worst thing is that you can see a really good film in there somewhere, but it's lost under a thousand tons of bullshit. Horrendous.

VegaLA

Oh crap just aquired that last night and was looking forwards to viewing it Sat night. At least I have a few Eps of Dr Who to watch instead.

Peking O

Just saw the Nick Cave-scriped The Proposition last night. Fantastic stuff. An old fashioned western starring Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Emily Watson and John Hurt. It's incredibly violent - heads get blown off, heads get chopped off, public floggings, blood everywhere, lovely. Great soundtrack by Cave and Warren Ellis as well.

mothman

I only went to see two films last year. Parenthood does that to you. I'm still looking forward to V For Vendetta, I'm still trying to be positive about it. But I think my critical faculties are shot, I just watched Ocean's Twelve and thought "well, that wasn't that bad, was it?" But I KNOW it WAS that bad! There was no plot, just strung-together setpieces! Everyone phoned their roles in!

jeffjeff

Quote from: "Bogey"
Quote from: "Artemis"Personally, I think 'Aeon Flux ' is going to be a late but very strong contender in the Oscar stakes this year. It looks an immensely poignant piece of work.

Peep Show fans, this film features Paterson Joseph, who plays Johnson!

And Snakes On A Plane features Rachael Blanchard ie Nancy!

God I hope Johnson gets to give Charlize Theron a good talking down.

Hotel Rwanda, then- again not strictly 2006, but I've only just seen it. What a movie. I can't really say much about it, apart from the fact that Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo are just off the scale in terms of acting ability, and that everyone must see this film. Just one of the most compelling dramatic movies I've seen in ages. Did this get Oscar recognition, or indeed, any recognition? Props also to Joaquin Phonenix, Nick Nolte and Jean Reno for putting in surprising appearances. The bottom line? Watch it.

jeffjeff

Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo both got nominations, think that was it though.

Deadman97

Clerks 2 teaser is here.

Everyone got old.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dante looks like a mafioso in that picture and what's up with Jay? His time in rehab seems to have turned him all scary. Rosario Dawson looks lovely though.
Not sure what to make of the film. I liked Clerks and Mallrats (and the other three to a lesser extent - I haven't seen Jersey Girl) but surely it's a bit early for Smith to renege on his 'no more Askewniverse films' pledge.

Mr. Analytical

I'm on dialup but for a man who made his name with dialogue, I think it's telling that I've downloaded half of it and nobody's said a word.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"I'm on dialup but for a man who made his name with dialogue, I think it's telling that I've downloaded half of it and nobody's said a word.

The whole trailer is just heavy metal music. There is no dialogue in the trailer bar something from clerks 1.

Deadman97

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"The whole trailer is just heavy metal music.
Bloody good metal, mind- Anthrax, I think. And there is a snippet of Clerks 2 dialogue right at the end.

mothman

Clerks 2?! What madness is this?!

Desperation on the part of Kevin Smith?

The Duck Man

Saw Brokeback Mountain the other day.

It's rather good. Excellent performances (Gyllenhall and especially Ledger) and the supporting cast. Some wonderful visuals from Ang Lee and an involving story that, despite what other critics say, wasn't too slow.

Peking O

The slowness is part of what makes Brokeback Mountain great. And yes, the cinematography is quite stunning. I think Ledger deserves an Oscar for this, and it would be great to see him get one and cause further uproar in middle America. If Brokeback gets nominated for stuff it will make for interesting viewing - will the Academy play it safe or not?

The Duck Man

Well, it'll be interesting as the potential nominees all look rather controversial - Jarhead, Goodnight and Good Luck, Brokeback, Syriana. It'd be difficult to give it to a film and not stir up some controversy, so I think Brokeback's got a chance.

Did you think that Heath Ledger did the Brando technique of putting cotton wool in his mouth? There were some strange lumps at the side of his mouth.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "The Duck Man"

Did you think that Heath Ledger did the Brando technique of putting cotton wool in his mouth? There were some strange lumps at the side of his mouth.

Was that not Jake Gyllenhaal's balls?

Sorry. Going to see this tonight, with a load of girls who seem to only want to see it because it's got hot dudes boning each other.

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"Desperation on the part of Kevin Smith?

I heard that it was an attempt to get Jason Mewes of the drugs, to give him something to work on.  Or it was a bribe, possibly.

El Unicornio, mang

Quite surprised to see Simon Pegg listed 4th on the cast list for Mission Impossible 3
http://imdb.com/title/tt0317919/

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "mothman"I only went to see two films last year. Parenthood does that to you. I'm still looking forward to V For Vendetta, I'm still trying to be positive about it. But I think my critical faculties are shot, I just watched Ocean's Twelve and thought "well, that wasn't that bad, was it?" But I KNOW it WAS that bad! There was no plot, just strung-together setpieces! Everyone phoned their roles in!

It was merely mediocre until that bit where (and I'm not bothering spoiler-warning this because if something puts you off watching 'Ocean's Twelve' then that's two hours of your life you could spend doing something more stimulating, like watching 'Ernest Saves Christmas' one and a half times) one of their scams is to pretend Julia Roberts' character is the real Julia Roberts. Then it became 'The Stephen Soderbergh and George Clooney Back Slapping Famous Mates Show'. Bruce Willis then camoes as himself. It is horrible. Do not watch 'Ocean's Twelve'. It's more smugly self indulgent than the original Rat Pack 'Ocean's Eleven'.

Who'd have thought watching 'Clerks' all those years ago that Kevin Smith would turn out to be such a witless film maker? I'm not expecting much from 'Clerks 2' (I notice Affleck is in the trailer) but I'll probably still pay money to see it like the sucker I am.

But on a positive note....SPIDERMAN 3!!!!!

wheatgod

Spid 3 is out 2007, technically. 2 new (to the films) baddies, one of them still to be revealed... smart money on Venom
This year's superhero spectacular is going to be X-men 3

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

And Superman Returns.