Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:27:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films 2006

Started by VegaLA, January 02, 2006, 03:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_offenc

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"
Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"Desperation on the part of Kevin Smith?

I heard that it was an attempt to get Jason Mewes of the drugs, to give him something to work on.  Or it was a bribe, possibly.

He'd apparently promised Mewes that he'd let him reprise the role of Jay one more time if he got off the smack/coke/whatever the fuck he was on.  Seems to have worked, Mewes doesn't look anywhere near as strung-out as he has in the past, and obviously Clerks 2 is in production.

Deadman97

Quote from: "no_offenc"He'd apparently promised Mewes that he'd let him reprise the role of Jay one more time if he got off the smack/coke/whatever the fuck he was on.  Seems to have worked, Mewes doesn't look anywhere near as strung-out as he has in the past, and obviously Clerks 2 is in production.
Oh come on, you don't buy that, do you? His touchy-feely romantic movies suck'd and bomb'd, he admitted himself that he didn't have what it took to make Green Hornet so he's gone back to the well while he can. I'm not saying it won't be funny, I'm sure it will, but Clerks 2 represents creative bankruptcy on Smith's part rather than some great altruistic gesture toward his old friend Mewes.

phantom_power

Quote from: "Deadman97"
but Clerks 2 represents creative bankruptcy on Smith's part rather than some great altruistic gesture toward his old friend Mewes.

i think that is a bit harsh. i think it is more a case of smith realising his limitations and sticking to what he is good at. nothing wrong with that. at least he attempted something different

El Unicornio, mang

Saw Brokeback Mountain last night at an independent movie theatre. First off, I haven't seen so many gay men in one place since I went to The Powerhouse nightclub in Newcastle one drunken night years ago. Literally, about 80% of the audience was men, and I could have sworn about 90% of them were gay (the remaining 10% may have been gay but just didn't fit my awful stereotyping). Or maybe I was just imagining things....

Anyway, the film itself was very good I thought. It's incredibly subdued and slow moving, but it suits the tone of the film. Performances were great all round, and very surprising too, given that the principal cast are generally seen only in cheesy teen movies (Anne Hathaway I thought did a terrific job, a far cry from The Princess Diaries as did Michelle Williams, who managed to make herself look devastatingly frumpy)

Gyllenhaal did a good job, I think I felt for him the most because he seemed desperate to settle down and find some quiet happiness amidst all the chaos in his life. His tirade against his awful, domineering father-in-law is terrific, and got quite a bit of cheering and applause.

Heath Ledger will definitely get an Oscar nomination for his performance. It's subtle, real, and in the moments when he unleashes his anger (such as the fabulous scene where he beats down two drunk jerks with fireworks exploding behind him), totally riveting. He defines the American strong, silent type perfectly.

The acting, however, I think takes a back seat to the magnificent cinematography of Rodrigo Prieto, who does a wonderful job of displaying the size, scope and beauty of "Wyoming" (it was actually filmed in Canada). Memories of my trip to Yosemite National Park were stirred by some of the startling imagery.

Ang Lee should get a lot of credit too for keeping the film as real and "low key" as possible, and for getting career best performances out of his actors.

As far as the 'gay sex scenes' go, they are short, passionate and at times quite violent, but they form a very small portion of the film. In fact, there is a lot more in the way of heterosexual intercourse and nudity in the film.

I would perhaps liked to have seen a little more exploration of Jack and Ennis' meetings at Brokeback Mountain, I don't think quite enough time was invested in this, the most important aspect of the film in terms of getting an understanding of their relationship. But, this aside it's a great film to start the year, and certainly puts 99% of other Hollywood output to shame.

Peking O

The Oscars should be fairly interesting this year. John Stewart presenting, a will-they-won't-they tug over stuff like Brokeback and Good Night and Good Luck (assuming they get nominated). I wouldn't be surprised to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in there for Capote either.

El Unicornio, mang

I think Hoffman will edge out Ledger for Best Actor (Crowe would have had a chance for Cinderella Man if he wasn't going around assaulting people) but there's no doubt in my mind that Brokeback will scoop Best Picture, best director for Ang Lee and Williams might get Best Actress.

Ged

Quote from: "Peking O"The Oscars should be fairly interesting this year. John Stewart presenting, a will-they-won't-they tug over stuff like Brokeback and Good Night and Good Luck (assuming they get nominated). I wouldn't be surprised to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in there for Capote either.

Any idea if BBC's got the rights to show them back? I know it's a bit of an endurance feat to stay the distance, but it's absurd that they should be on Sky with Sharon bloody Osbourne. IIRC they weren't even allowed to show the 'best of' compilation the following evening.

TotalNightmare

Sadly, i find the  Oscars more and more boring every year with predictable choices, that whole 'oscar written all over them movies' like Brokeback...

The show is too long, naff and a chore to get excited about.

The only award i'll take an interest in is best animated film, because if Wallace and Gromit DONT win this, it will be a fucking con...

anyway, Jon Stewart will liven it up no doubt...

also, although the BBC may not be showing the awards, they are looking for movie fans to get involved with the commentary of the nights preceedings...

Peking O

The Academy won't want to upset middle America too much, so I wonder whether Brokeback Mountain will win Best Picture. Has a film with a strong gay theme ever won Best Picture before? I hope it doesn't get fobbed off with some Best Screenplay award. No idea about the Beeb I'm afraid, I live on distant shores from your fair Isle.

Peking O

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Sadly, i find the  Oscars more and more boring every year with predictable choices, that whole 'oscar written all over them movies' like Brokeback...

Have you seen it? It's a really great film, and probably one of the more unlikely Oscar nominees of recent years (if it gets the nod). This year has the potential for some decent stuff to win for once, but obviously we don't even know the nominees yet.

El Unicornio, mang

They're usually pretty close to the Golden Globes:

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA

Brokeback Mountain
Focus Features/River Road Entertainment; Focus Features

The Constant Gardener
Potboiler Prods./Scion Films; Focus Features

Good Night, And Good Luck
Section Eight/2929 Entertainment/Participant Productions; Warner Independent Pictures

A History of Violence
New Line Cinema; New Line Cinema

Match Point
Jada Productions; DreamWorks Pictures

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS - DRAMA
Maria Bello, A History of Violence
Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof
Charlize Theron, North Country
Ziyi Zhang, Memoirs of a Geisha

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR - DRAMA
Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Terrence Howard, Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck

BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

Mrs. Henderson Presents
Heyman Hoskins Prods.; The Weinstein Company

Pride & Prejudice
Working Title Prods.; Focus Features/StudioCanal

The Producers
Brooksfilms; Universal Pictures/Columbia Pictures

The Squid and the Whale
American Empirical/Peter Newman - Internal; Samuel Goldwyn Films/Sony Pictures Releasing International

Walk The Line
Twentieth Century Fox; Twentieth Century Fox

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS - MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice
Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale
Sarah Jessica Parker, The Family Stone
Reese Witherspoon, Walk The Line

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR - MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Pierce Brosnan, The Matador
Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale
Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Nathan Lane, The Producers
Cillian Murphy, Breakfast on Pluto
Joaquin Phoenix, Walk The Line

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Kung Fu Hustle (CHINA)
Columbia Pictures Film Prod. Asia Ltd/Huayi Brothers/Taihe Film Investment Co. Ltd/Star Overseas; Sony Pictures Classics

Master of the Crimson Armor aka The Promise (CHINA)
Beijing 21st CenturySheng Kai/China Film Group/Capgen Investment Group/Moonstone Prods.; The Weinstein Company

Merry Christmas (Joyeux Noel) (FRANCE)
Nord Quest Prods. Senator Film Prods./The Bureau Artemis Prods/Media Pro Pictures/TF1 Films/Les Productions de la Gueville; Sony Pictures Classics

Paradise Now (PALESTINE)
Augustus Film/Lama Films/Razor Films/Lumen Films/Arte France Cinema/Hazazah Film; Warner Independent Pictures

Tsotsi (SOUTH AFRICA)
UK/South African Prods.; Miramax Films

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Scarlett Johansson, Match Point
Shirley MacLaine, In Her Shoes
Frances McDormand, North Country
Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
George Clooney, Syriana
Matt Dillon, Crash
Will Ferrell, The Producers
Paul Giamattii, Cinderella Man
Bob Hoskins, Mrs. Henderson Presents

BEST DIRECTOR
Woody Allen, Match Point
George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck
Peter Jackson, King Kong
Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
Fernando Meirelles, The Constant Gardener
Steven Spielberg, Munich

BEST SCREENPLAY
Woody Allen, Match Point
George Clooney & Grant Heslov, Good Night, and Good Luck
Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco, Crash
Tony Kushner & Eric Roth, Munich
Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana, Brokeback Mountain

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Alexandre Desplat, Syriana
James Newton Howard, King Kong
Gustavo Santaolalla, Brokeback Mountain
Harry Gregson-Williams, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
John Williams, Memoirs of a Geisha

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

"A Love That Will Never Grow Old" -- Brokeback Mountain
Music by: Gustavo Santaolalla
Lyrics by: Bernie Taupin

"Christmas in Love" -- Christmas in Love
Music by: Tony Renis
Lyrics by: Marva Jan Marrow

"There's Nothing Like a Show on Broadway" -- The Producers
Music & Lyrics by: Mel Brooks

"Travelin' Thru" -- Transamerica
Music & Lyrics by: Dolly Parton

"Wunderkind" -- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Music & Lyrics by: Alanis Morissette

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Peking O"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Sadly, i find the  Oscars more and more boring every year with predictable choices, that whole 'oscar written all over them movies' like Brokeback...

Have you seen it? It's a really great film, and probably one of the more unlikely Oscar nominees of recent years (if it gets the nod). This year has the potential for some decent stuff to win for once, but obviously we don't even know the nominees yet.

Admittedly, i havent seen it.

Thats not me dismissing it, its just not the kind of film i would want to see (not that i go the cinema much these days) i tend to go for your 'left of centre' or 'odd' films.

Its just to me, its the type of film made for award recognition and debate, its not a bad thing, it just tends to mean that a lot of the other hundreds of films out there, that dont have big names, big themes, big directors are often dismissed out of hand in favour for the films that have a lot of money behind them.

I just dont feel the Oscars, overall, represent the movie industry as a whole.

If it wins any awards at all, there shouldnt be any surprises, whereas im a fan of the underdog and so if a small film (whatever that may be) won an award over something like Brokeback, id be more a) interested in seeing it and b) happier it was recognised.

Ultimately, i guess its the Oscars overall i just hate, not the choices or winners.

Quote from: "Deadman97"
Quote from: "no_offenc"He'd apparently promised Mewes that he'd let him reprise the role of Jay one more time if he got off the smack/coke/whatever the fuck he was on.  Seems to have worked, Mewes doesn't look anywhere near as strung-out as he has in the past, and obviously Clerks 2 is in production.
Oh come on, you don't buy that, do you? His touchy-feely romantic movies suck'd and bomb'd, he admitted himself that he didn't have what it took to make Green Hornet so he's gone back to the well while he can. I'm not saying it won't be funny, I'm sure it will, but Clerks 2 represents creative bankruptcy on Smith's part rather than some great altruistic gesture toward his old friend Mewes.

Also, I'm sure Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was his "reward" to Mewes for going clean (swapping junk with more junk, if you like).

wheatgod

Jarhead

Best film I've seen in a while, quite fun to watch though it sags slightly 2/3 of the way through. Its one of those films where you enjoy watching it, but then afterwards all you can think of is faults.

Got a month long cinema pass, and the other films I plan to see this week are Brokeback Mountain, Just Friends, Match Point, and maybe Running Scared for a laugh. Care to put me off any of these?

soopadoop

I would really like to put you off "Just Friends", as it is a jokeless and irritating travesty of a film. I haven't come out of the cinema actually annoyed for a long time, but this made me - it really has everything wrong with it; annoying leads, annoying extremely clunky subject matter, annoying lack of any jokes. The typical romantic comedy things take place, but they're difficult to justify when the bloke remains a twat and punchable all the way, and the girl, well, we're meant to believe that she's a girl in a million because she generally keeps out of the way, is a primary school teacher, and laughs at people's jokes. I'd say it's the worst film I've seen in a couple of years.

Village Branson

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"also, although the BBC may not be showing the awards, they are looking for movie fans to get involved with the commentary of the nights preceedings...

Anywhere more info on this?

(what with me being a movie fan and that, I won't deny it)

wasp_f15ting

I was for some reason epecting something to happen in Jarhead I didnt think the story of the film warranted all the stuff they used in it. If indeed they did burn all that oil to just make a film, its a huge waste. I was half expecting a pay off, but no, just a semi-emotional movie. It looked like a war film with explosions and all.. Like that Broke back mountain I thought that was going to be western shoot em up.. but oh no :(

Saw another crap film called waiting pile of shite, waste of time. Gonna watch mirror mask and thumbsucker tonight.

surreal

Quote from: "Village Branson"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"also, although the BBC may not be showing the awards, they are looking for movie fans to get involved with the commentary of the nights preceedings...

didn't Sky buy the rights for 7 years or something?  Wankers, I used to love watching the Oscars and was ready to book the following day off work last year but fucking Sky had exclusive rights... the last one the Beeb had was when Return of the King cleaned up.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: "surreal"
Quote from: "Village Branson"

didn't Sky buy the rights for 7 years or something?  Wankers, I used to love watching the Oscars and was ready to book the following day off work last year but fucking Sky had exclusive rights... the last one the Beeb had was when Return of the King cleaned up.
Has anyone in the UK actually managed to get through the whole lot? I really cant get past the Animation award.

surreal

I did last time I watched, last time it was on the beeb (so Feb 2004?) - seemed that a lot of the more boring awards for really techie stuff were done in a separate ceremony and you were only shown highlights of that, so it wasn't too bad.  Depends if there is a good host or not, Billy Crystal is always worth watching when he hosts IMHO.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"The only award i'll take an interest in is best animated film, because if Wallace and Gromit DONT win this, it will be a fucking con...

Ah, whatever, Corpse Bride was much better and not half as cringeworthy.

I find the Oscars half great and half really annoying.  I mean, the Return of the King exclusive club thing was absolutely revolting.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "Dark Sky"Ah, whatever, Corpse Bride was much better and not half as cringeworthy.

*rolls eyes, makes s*****c noises*

As people noted at the time though, the big wins for Return of the King were by-and-large given not just to the single film but the trilogy as a whole. Which it thoroughly deserved, for a great many reasons. And also it's the first time that the Oscars have awarded a fantasy movie in that way- usually they are only allowed to carry home the technical trophies. Although I personally think King Kong is the better film and more deserving of the awards attention, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen this time.

Mr. Analytical

But to be fair... most trad fantasy films are complete shit.

I mean if you had to do an exhaustive list it's be LotR, Conan, Excalibur, Krull and um...

Hawk the Slayer?  Beastmaster?  that film with the bloke whose sword could fire bits of itself at people? Dungeons and Dragons ("Blood will rain from the skyyyyyyy!").

SciFi translated well onto the big screen as does contemporary fantasy but elves and dwarves or swords and sorcery invariably make for shite films.  

I rewatched some of the LotR films over Xmas and I really think the fuss was all a bit overblown.  I mean they're technically great but as films they're over long, cloyingly sentimental, astonishingly low brow and the acting's very uneven.

I'd rather watch Conan any day of the week.

"Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.  Crucify him!"

I always thought that was the great thing about LOTR's Oscar win, simply because- finally!- here was a fantasy film done well. I totally agree that most films of that genre are total crap (although I'll stick up for Krull any day of the week, haha), but LOTR aren't among them. And of course it made a blessed change from the Academy voting for deliberately Oscar-baiting offensive dull claptrap like A Beautiful Mind, The English Patient or Chicago. So many great popular movies have been denied the top awards simply because they're genre pieces; that's just wrong, and I'm glad LOTR bucked the trend.

The Duck Man

That night at the Oscars was just so tedious though. By the 5th award you knew that whenever LOTR was nominated it would win.

There was a song from Cold Mountain that was simply so much better than the one LOTR had nominated, obviously so, and yet it lost. It was just ridiculous. Over compensation by the Academy for their ignoring LOTR the previous two years.

surreal

interesting - according to a 2006 tv preview on SkyNews site the Oscars are on SkyOne.... not perfect but at least not on SkyMovies like last year

wasp_f15ting

Wow, that Thumbsucker was alright.. boring but good. Some of it is very slow, but what is there is good. Worth a gander.

Four Eyes

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"Wow, that Thumbsucker was alright.. boring but good. Some of it is very slow, but what is there is good. Worth a gander.

I just watched it too, t'is good. A little pretencious maybe, but still good.

El Unicornio, mang

Golden Globe results are in:

QuoteBest Motion Picture - Drama
 Winner:

Brokeback Mountain (2005)
 Other Nominees:

The Constant Gardener (2005)

Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

A History of Violence (2005)

Match Point (2005)

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
 Winner:

Walk the Line (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

The Producers (2005)

The Squid and the Whale (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
 Winner:

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Russell Crowe for Cinderella Man (2005)

Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow (2005)

Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

David Strathairn for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
 Winner:

Felicity Huffman for Transamerica (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Maria Bello for A History of Violence (2005)

Gwyneth Paltrow for Proof (2005)

Charlize Theron for North Country (2005)

Ziyi Zhang for Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
 Winner:

Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Pierce Brosnan for The Matador (2005)

Jeff Daniels for The Squid and the Whale (2005)

Johnny Depp for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Nathan Lane for The Producers (2005)

Cillian Murphy for Breakfast on Pluto (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
 Winner:

Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Judi Dench for Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)

Keira Knightley for Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Laura Linney for The Squid and the Whale (2005)

Sarah Jessica Parker for The Family Stone (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
 Winner:

George Clooney for Syriana (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Matt Dillon for Crash (2004)

Will Ferrell for The Producers (2005)

Paul Giamatti for Cinderella Man (2005)

Bob Hoskins for Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
 Winner:

Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Scarlett Johansson for Match Point (2005)

Shirley MacLaine for In Her Shoes (2005)

Frances McDormand for North Country (2005)

Michelle Williams for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Best Director - Motion Picture
 Winner:

Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Woody Allen for Match Point (2005)

George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

Peter Jackson for King Kong (2005)

Fernando Meirelles for The Constant Gardener (2005)

Steven Spielberg for Munich (2005)

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
 Winner:

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana
 Other Nominees:

Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Robert Moresco

Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - George Clooney, Grant Heslov

Match Point (2005) - Woody Allen

Munich (2005) - Tony Kushner, Eric Roth

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
 Winner:

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Gustavo Santaolalla, Bernie Taupin ("A Love That Will Never Grow Old")
 Other Nominees:

Christmas in Love (2004) - Tony Renis, Marrow, Marva Jan ("Christmas in Love")

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) - Alanis Morissette ("Wunderkind")

The Producers (2005) - Mel Brooks ("There's Nothing Like a Show on Broadway")

Transamerica (2005) - Dolly Parton ("Travelin' Thru")

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
 Winner:

Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - John Williams
 Other Nominees:

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Gustavo Santaolalla

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) - Harry Gregson-Williams

King Kong (2005) - James Newton Howard

Syriana (2005) - Alexandre Desplat

Best Foreign Language Film
 Winner:

Paradise Now (2005) (Palestine)
 Other Nominees:

Joyeux Noël (2005) (France)

Kung fu (2004) (Hong Kong)

Wu ji (2005) (China)

Tsotsi (2005) (South Africa)

Best Television Series - Drama
 Winner:

"Lost" (2004)
 Other Nominees:

"Commander in Chief" (2005)

"Grey's Anatomy" (2005)

"Prison Break" (2005)

"Rome" (2005)

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy
 Winner:

"Desperate Housewives" (2004)
 Other Nominees:

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" (2000)

"Entourage" (2004)

"Everybody Hates Chris" (2005)

"My Name Is Earl" (2005)

"Weeds" (2005)

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
 Winner:

Empire Falls (2005) (TV)
 Other Nominees:

"Blackpool" (2004) (mini)

"Into the West" (2005) (mini)

"Sleeper Cell" (2005)

Warm Springs (2005) (TV)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
 Winner:

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers for "Elvis" (2005) (mini)
 Other Nominees:

Kenneth Branagh for Warm Springs (2005) (TV)

Ed Harris for Empire Falls (2005) (TV)

Bill Nighy for The Girl in the Café (2005) (TV)

Donald Sutherland for "Human Trafficking" (2005) (mini)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
 Winner:

S. Epatha Merkerson for Lackawanna Blues (2005) (TV)
 Other Nominees:

Halle Berry for Their Eyes Were Watching God (2005) (TV)

Kelly Macdonald for The Girl in the Café (2005) (TV)

Cynthia Nixon for Warm Springs (2005) (TV)

Mira Sorvino for "Human Trafficking" (2005) (mini)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
 Winner:

Steve Carell for "The Office" (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Zach Braff for "Scrubs" (2001)

Larry David for "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (2000)

Jason Lee for "My Name Is Earl" (2005)

Charlie Sheen for "Two and a Half Men" (2003)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
 Winner:

Mary-Louise Parker for "Weeds" (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Marcia Cross for "Desperate Housewives" (2004)

Teri Hatcher for "Desperate Housewives" (2004)

Felicity Huffman for "Desperate Housewives" (2004)

Eva Longoria for "Desperate Housewives" (2004)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
 Winner:

Hugh Laurie for "House, M.D." (2004)
 Other Nominees:

Patrick Dempsey for "Grey's Anatomy" (2005)

Matthew Fox for "Lost" (2004)

Wentworth Miller for "Prison Break" (2005)

Kiefer Sutherland for "24" (2001)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
 Winner:

Geena Davis for "Commander in Chief" (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Patricia Arquette for "Medium" (2005)

Glenn Close for "The Shield" (2002)

Kyra Sedgwick for "The Closer" (2005)

Polly Walker for "Rome" (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
 Winner:

Paul Newman for Empire Falls (2005) (TV)
 Other Nominees:

Naveen Andrews for "Lost" (2004)

Jeremy Piven for "Entourage" (2004)

Randy Quaid for "Elvis" (2005) (mini)

Donald Sutherland for "Commander in Chief" (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
 Winner:

Sandra Oh for "Grey's Anatomy" (2005)
 Other Nominees:

Candice Bergen for "Boston Legal" (2004)

Camryn Manheim for "Elvis" (2005) (mini)

Elizabeth Perkins for "Weeds" (2005)

Joanne Woodward for Empire Falls (2005) (TV)