Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:28:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Places in London to live... where do you recommend?

Started by 23 Daves, January 03, 2006, 07:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Really? Is it good for going out? I'm in Stratford now, towards Leytonstone, I keep meaning to wander up there and see whats what....

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "LadyDay"
You seem to have a very skewed idea of the UK. Most business is in London? Where did you get that idea?

Quote# London is a major economy, providing 4.5 million jobs. It accounts for over 15% of the UK's GVA.
# Inner London is the richest EU region with per capita GDP over three times the EU average.
# London continues to be seen as the best business city in Europe in terms of ease of access to markets, external transport links, qualified staff and telecommunications.
#London has the highest business formation rates for all industries.(Government Office For London)

QuoteI'm getting the impression you've not ventured north of Watford. :-)

Yeah, whatever.

QuoteI know lots of IT folk and they make a pretty healthy living out of it.

Are they in management or have bothered to take training courses? Company cars, yes? Uhuh. Me, I've just got skills. Oh, and if I lose my job, I don't have to move towns to find another one. Like I said, I'm sure Birmingham and Manchester and Slough aren't that much different from central London, but for the rest of the Uk there really is a massive pay gap in IT. Its not a matter of opinion.

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Really? Is it good for going out? I'm in Stratford now, towards Leytonstone, I keep meaning to wander up there and see whats what....

Not if you want clubs or anything of that sort. It's got quite a lot of pubs, but to be honest it's probably not the place you'd come for a night out, unless you lived locally or were meeting friends. I wouldn't feel inclined to go to Walthamstow or Stratford particularly, as Wanstead, Leytonstone and South Woodford has everything I need and central london is only 20 minutes away.

terminallyrelaxed

I'm surprised you find it expensive, unless the houses get nicer out there - I only looked in Stratford because of proximity to work and because I thought it was pretty cheap. shame about Morrisons being the local supermarket though.

Carlos Tevez

Christ, what a load of bourgeois bastards in this thread.

Stop trying to talk the man out of living in London, that's not what he asked.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "thepuffpastryhangman"Having lived in London a few months now (it's not London, it's Lewisham) well, it's not worth it IMO. One ends up spending any extra one might be earning in an attempt to mask the hell of living here (I'm talking 'in town' now as opposed to delightful Lewisham). Worse than that, many folks appear to actually relish being overcharged for crap food etc with shite service, as if to say 'we know it's crap and overpriced but isn't it great that we can afford it'.

Without wanting to have a personal dig at you Mr. Puffy, this attitude may be widespread but it is short-sighted and totally unnecessary.

In order to get the most out of London, or indeed any large city, you have to take the initiative to explore for yourself.  There are plenty of cheap decent places to eat in London, plenty of free entertainment on offer, plenty of free cultural centres, plenty of free parks and open spaces.  Are all of these easy to find?  Of course not, you need to get off your arse and find these places for yourself.

I'll leave it at that.

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I'm surprised you find it expensive, unless the houses get nicer out there - I only looked in Stratford because of proximity to work and because I thought it was pretty cheap. shame about Morrisons being the local supermarket though.

Yes, the houses are pretty nice here. To quote off a property site, it is the gem of the east end, and a highly desirable area. I feel quite lucky to be able to rent a good one bedroom flat for 650 a month. Most other places here are much higher. But I'm prepared to pay it because it's quiet and I feel safe here.

Quote from: "Leonard Hatred"I feel quite lucky to be able to rent a good one bedroom flat for 650 a month.

£540.  Count it and cry.

And I really liked Mr Rossiter.

terminallyrelaxed

Heh, I barely got a studio for that in Clapham, and they were more in Putney and Fulham, but thats still lesss than I paid for a one-bedroom in Highbury once. Highbury estate, too, 'which was nice'.

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "Leonard Hatred"I feel quite lucky to be able to rent a good one bedroom flat for 650 a month.

£540.  Count it and cry.

In Wanstead?
Where abouts are you, are you in a self contained flat or a share?

Not in Wanstead.  I'm in Palmers Green in a self-contained flat.

I lived in New Cross for a year.  My friend thought it was like The Bronx.  Then again, he grew up on a very nice street and then went to Uni at Oxford, which is rather prettier and less full of dubious-looking cab drivers smoking dope on street corners than SE14.  And a mis-spent youth is not complete until you've had the smell of vomit from the toilets of The Venue in your nostrils.

LadyDay

Quote from: "Sef"Christ, what a load of bourgeois bastards in this thread.

Bourgeois? In what way?

He made a statement, I was genuinely surprised to read it, as I've never heard anyone with those views before. It's a discussion board. I couldn't give a rat's arse where he lives.

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Not in Wanstead.  I'm in Palmers Green in a self-contained flat.

I don't know Palmers Green really, though my Dad grew up there. Lack of tube would piss me off I think, personally. I still wouldn't move from where I am. My life and friends are here, and if I have to pay 650 then that's fine.

Lady Beaner

Bah, I am going to have to start looking for a house/flatshare myself soon. I want to be out of my place by the end of February. Aiming for West or North West London - why the hell is Kilburn so fucking expensive?  I work about 10 minutes walk from there and it is HORRID.

23 Daves

On the subject of work, most of my experience and background is in publishing - now, there are some openings in that area in Bristol/ Bath, and then a lot of relatively minor opportunities scattered elsewhere across the UK.  You might move to these towns or cities if you were offered a job there, but you certainly wouldn't uproot (and ask your partner to quit her perfectly good job as well) on the off-chance that one might materialise.  That's just madness.  The overwhelming majority of publishing houses are based in London, like it or not.   Not only that, but for careers in journalism this is a prime centre (unless you want to be paid £10k per annum for being a reporter on the Dorking Gazette or something...)

On the subject of money, I'm very glad that some of you lead what you consider to be comfortable lives, but Jesus... the amount I live off isn't exactly 'scraping by'.  I can go out a few times a week if I want to, I can afford to go on holiday once a year, I bought two new CDs this week, I generally don't have to scrabble around for loose change at the end of the month... it's hardly poverty, is it?  Spare me your pity, or I'll decide I am a charity case and key your cars.  Bloody smug, poncey, toffee nosed northerners.

Lady Beaner

I'm poor, so I'll take the pity instead...you ungrateful bastard. ;-)

falafel

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"why the hell is Kilburn so fucking expensive?  I work about 10 minutes walk from there and it is HORRID.

Transport, darling. And it beats Cricklewood, which is just next door.

Lady Beaner

Did I mention that it smells funny too?

I have only been to Kilburn once on a lunch break because I had to go to the bank.  I saw three old ladies trying to bash down a bus door because the bus driver wasn't opening it quick enough, three coppers chasing some teenager down the street because he had stolen a pink cardigan, and some old man hocking up the most wonderful multi-coloured phlegm into the road.

Not going there again.

Captain Crunch

But on the plus side it's got one of the best underwear shops in London, a great cafe and a Traid shop.  <Two tumbs fresh sign>

Carlos Tevez

Bourgeois? In what way?

He made a statement, I was genuinely surprised to read it, as I've never heard anyone with those views before. It's a discussion board. I couldn't give a rat's arse where he lives.

I don't know what you're talking about.

falafel

When I was there last there was a man urinating in a phone box on the high street and i saw his penis and it wasn't nice at all. There are also a fair few nutters about. That's probably what estate agents would call 'character'.

Carlos Tevez

Quote from: "23 Daves"On the subject of money, I'm very glad that some of you lead what you consider to be comfortable lives, but Jesus... the amount I live off isn't exactly 'scraping by'.  I can go out a few times a week if I want to, I can afford to go on holiday once a year, I bought two new CDs this week, I generally don't have to scrabble around for loose change at the end of the month... it's hardly poverty, is it?  Spare me your pity, or I'll decide I am a charity case and key your cars.  Bloody smug, poncey, toffee nosed northerners.

Right on.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"... and a Triad shop.

Told you the place was fucking dodgy.  ;-)

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"But on the plus side it's got one of the best underwear shops in London

Has it? Why? Tell us more!

Captain Crunch

Bugger I can't remember the name of it now.  Just very very odd things like neon orange toweling bras or thongs with a giant wasp on them.  Dirt cheap too, nothing is over £4 even the scary batwing dressing gowns with manga faces on the back.

LadyDay

Quote from: "Sef"

Bourgeois? In what way?

I don't know what you're talking about.

Likewise

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"

£540.  Count it and cry.

$650 (370GBP) a month for a one bedroom flat on a quiet street, including all utility bills paid for, in a great location downtown

But......I only get paid 5.70GBP an hour for something I would get paid at least 15GBP an hour for in London. Such is the shitty nature of Orlando wages, so I have to rely on overtime pay

So really, London may be expensive to live, but I think that the wages are on a reasonable level with the cost of living. Orlando rent is rising quickly (although it's still dirt cheap compared to most of the US) but the wages are staying the same. This is the reason a lot of people from London and expensive US cities like New York are moving here, they can sell a relatively small house for half a million quid and live in a place like this:

Plus, there's no state tax because of all the tourism

The only catch is, you have to live in a city filled with 'Florida people'

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "The Unicorn"
The only catch is, you have to live in a city filled with 'Florida people'

No thanks, I read a Carl Hiaasen book once. Jesus.

thepuffpastryhangman

QuoteBut......I only get paid 5.70GBP an hour for wearing a Daffy outfit at Universal Studios whereas I would get paid at least 15GBP an hour for in London doing the same job for Fathers4Justice.

And Captain Crunch, I'm not disputing what you say re: freebies in London etc, call me selfish, it's just that sometimes, IMO, it's better to have something a little less spectacular and a little more personal. I've never been alone since I moved to London, and that's what I meant.

hencole

Quote from: "thepuffpastryhangman"[ I've never been alone since I moved to London, and that's what I meant.

Mirrors on the walls, floor and ceiling? Good man. Saves so much money only having to have one light fitting per room. No need to spend lots on feeding lots of guests at extravagent dinner partyseither , those that turn up are always gorgeous and seem happy to just share your indian meal for one.