Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,468
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Places in London to live... where do you recommend?

Started by 23 Daves, January 03, 2006, 07:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hencole

Quote from: "thepuffpastryhangman"[ I've never been alone since I moved to London, and that's what I meant.

Mirrors on the walls, floor and ceiling? Good man. Saves so much money only having to have one light fitting per room. No need to spend lots on feeding lots of guests at extravagent dinner partyseither , those that turn up are always gorgeous and seem happy to just share your indian meal for one.

Lady Beaner

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "thepuffpastryhangman"
QuoteBut......I only get paid 5.70GBP an hour for wearing a Daffy outfit at Universal Studios whereas I would get paid at least 15GBP an hour for in London doing the same job for Fathers4Justice.

Actually, that's me on the right

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"Cuh, we heard you the first time! ;-)

Hey man the site just went tits-up for ten minutes, I was trying to quote him too at the time, only to say thats a bit weird as I'm in London and am alone all the time....

thepuffpastryhangman

I'm in leisure wear, obligatory big Chip on my shoulder.

terminallyrelaxed

Captain Crunch

"I'm not just a Hair Club member, I'm the president!"

Puffster - did you mean you don't like the overcrowding in London or were you referring to the social side?

terminallyrelaxed

Oh, I thought he meant the overcrowding, but then for me its the fact of one and the lack of the other....

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "hencole"bugger
You've still left two copies, because it was in fact a triple post. If I were you I'd leave the one at the top of this page rather than the one at the bottom of the last page, because that way everyone will read your thing about the mirrors. But you could probably leave both, I don't suppose anyone would mind.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
Quote from: "hencole"bugger
You've still left two copies, because it was in fact a triple post. If I were you I'd leave the one at the top of this page rather than the one at the bottom of the last page, because that way everyone will read your thing about the mirrors. But you could probably leave both, I don't suppose anyone would mind.

It's ridiculous that when it comes to posting in an internet forum we have the choice to delete multiple posts yet in Britian today, and it's 2006 now, we still can't choose between any one of four hospitals in which to receive treatment. Sheer lunacy.

23 Daves

It's interesting to me that whenever London is mentioned on any forum post (or any discussion outside of the capital) people are quick to sharpen their fingernails beforehand and tell you how "terrible" living or visiting there is.

Strangely enough, though, I had a choice early this year - settle in a city in Canada, try living somewhere else in the UK, or return to London.  I chose London, for which I suspect many of you think I'm a maniac.

The truth is, I think most dwellers here (apart from the wealthiest) know they're getting a bum deal in some respects.  They know they're never going to have as much money to spare as they might do elsewhere, they know they're gambling with the high crime rates whenever they walk out of the front door, and they know there are going to be moments when they wish they were alone in some remote village to collect their thoughts (whenever I feel like this, I tend to just jump on a train at the weekend).

However, for all these drawbacks, this city really does have some fantastic culture and entertainment the equal of which I've never seen anywhere else in the world - and I do mean the world.  You do have to work at finding out where the interesting stuff lies, but once you uncover it, it's amazing.  Some of it's wilfully eccentric and awful, obviously, but I'd rather have that than just plain mediocre.  

Some of the most enthusiastic, energetic and imaginative people I've ever met live in London as well - it's a city that tends to attract that kind of person, I've found.  Life in Melbourne and Ottawa was much more half-hearted and laidback - good qualities if you're in the right mood, but I seldom am for very long.  And don't even talk to me about Portsmouth.

Of course, people are bound to reply with "Yes, but I live in Liverpool/ Manchester/ Newquay/ Grimsby and I think the people are great and I've seen some fantastic things here and blah blah blah", to which I say "Fine.  I'm very happy for you that you love where you live.  So why are you so uptight about me enjoying living here, where I was born?  It's my bloody choice."

Anyway, any other recommendations for regions to live in?

Timmay

hoverdonkey

Good shout that Daves. The very mention of London gets people very irritable - especially those in Manchester who are never slow to proclaim how great 'their' city is. Me and Mrs HD live in London, albeit the leafy bit in south-west next to Richmond Park, and love it. The Park is two minutes one way, all the shops I ever need five minutes the other in Kingston and central London 15 minutes away on the train. The local pub, which is basically an extension of our living room given its marvelous patrons, is also 14 seconds walk away. Home to White Hart Lane door-to-seat is exactly one hour.

We ain't moving.

terminallyrelaxed

I'm liking Stratford. Its got a pretty catch-all shopping centre although the M&S shopper will be dissapointed, not mention riddled with class guilt and race paranoia, but it suits me fine. There also two tube lines, an overland and the DLR from the station, plus obviously buses. A zone 2&3 travelcard is only £13, although you do have to cross Zone 1 to get anywhere vaguely useful, but I mostly drink near work when I drink at all.

From next month I will be financially placed to sample some of the vast choice of nightlife you mention Daves. What are good websites to look out for interesting gigs, arty-farty cinemas where I might possibly meet cerebral French girls, and interesting events and exhibitions to ponce around in with my camera, pretending not to lech over dreadlocked hippy chicks?

mayer

Quote from: "23 Daves"It's interesting to me that whenever London is mentioned on any forum post (or any discussion outside of the capital) people are quick to sharpen their fingernails beforehand and tell you how "terrible" living or visiting there is

Of course, people are bound to reply with "Yes, but I live in Liverpool/ Manchester/ Newquay/ Grimsby and I think the people are great and I've seen some fantastic things here and blah blah blah", to which I say "Fine.  I'm very happy for you that you love where you live.  So why are you so uptight about me enjoying living here, where I was born?  It's my bloody choice."

Whereas I lived in London (or near enough) for 18 years odd, (half in Neasden, half in Wembley Park), and I've chosen to live in Manchester. I'm not uptight in the slightest, in fact, your stance is the usual one. I've had to defend my decision to move to Londoners constantly since I up and moved.

I agree with you! It's your own choice! Horses and courses.

Visiting London is nice. And I'm privileged to be able to do that when I please (work permitting) very easily. I just found it less than ideal to live there myself.

But back on topic. Not Wembley Park.

mayer

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"Home to White Hart Lane door-to-seat is exactly one hour.

Though maybe the Mancs are right about London....

:-)

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Timmay"Cramlington is nice this time of year.
Especially now its most celebrated son has moved to Coventry.

Oh it's just some kind of syndrome Daves, innit. Perhaps it's even got a name. I'd be very surprised if it isn't global. Anyone who doesn't live in the capital speaks disparagingly of it and its filthy capital-centric inhabitants who think they is all that but they ain't, they is just culture whore suckas. I don't think it's meant at all seriously, it's just throwaway tribal us and them blah blah. Leave London. London is one of the most attractive capitals in my book, I prefer Brizzle as a city for its heart, but why anyone over 30 would want to stay in any city confounds me.

hoverdonkey - your leafy poshness cannot possibly count as London. Are your neighbours called Jerry and Margo?

Peking O

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"...but why anyone over 30 would want to stay in any city confounds me.

I'm over 30 and live in a city, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Thirty is pretty young for pipe-and-slippers time isn't it?

Almost Yearly

Well I suppose it might be, depending on your ability to pace yourself, of which I have none. I did thirty years' worth from 20 to 30. Don't you just start to see the same events and scenes go round and round, and realise that it's true you only have room for forty people in your head, and those forty people are the same everywhere? It's not a pipe and slippers thing - plenty of people with pipes and slippers are living in high rises, getting mugged and having breathing difficulties. Oh I dunno, I was born in the country, perhaps that's it. I only came here to take the piss out of hencole, I'll go now.

23 Daves

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"
From next month I will be financially placed to sample some of the vast choice of nightlife you mention Daves. What are good websites to look out for interesting gigs, arty-farty cinemas where I might possibly meet cerebral French girls, and interesting events and exhibitions to ponce around in with my camera, pretending not to lech over dreadlocked hippy chicks?

It depends what you're into, really... take your pick!  Most of my excursions are poetry, live music and theatre based, but if you've ever fancied the idea of it, or even had a particularly peculiar dream about it, chances are it's here somewhere.  There's even a bloody gay fetish club for men who are into dressing up like Victorian gents and having wax moustaches, for God's sake (though don't ask me where it is... I've never, erm, been...)

But anyway... for really awkward avant garde stuff, the Klinker in Dalston is essential (if placed in a slightly edgy area, and being extremely hit and miss from one week to the next).  For live poetry the Poetry Cafe in Covent Garden is the best first stop (unfortunately, as its a rather cramped and stuffy venue even on a quiet night), for live jazz there are more venues and events in Stoke Newington than I'd deem sensibly necessary, and there's a nice experimental comedy night in the pub in Crouch End which often featues Simon Munnery and Tony Allen (which again is massively hit and miss).

Really, the best bet is to just pick up a copy of Time Out, and if something sounds cheap and interesting, go to it.  If it's shit, walk out early, and at least you've got a topic of conversation.  This and word-of-mouth has been my method for years now.

terminallyrelaxed

Righty-ho, thanks Daves, I thought there was some underground version of Time Out but if the meat-and-two-veg one does the trick I shall start buying it.

23 Daves

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Righty-ho, thanks Daves, I thought there was some underground version of Time Out but if the meat-and-two-veg one does the trick I shall start buying it.

Yes, Time Out is sometimes a bit iffy for running listings - it's refused to take a few I've submitted, for example, favouring more mainstream options.  Generally speaking, though, it's pretty good.

Failing that, the usual indie websites are good for bands, and The Wire is good for carrying lists of really awkward, avant garde stuff (should that be what you're after).  The more things you go to, the more mailing lists you get put on anyway, until after awhile your e-mail account starts to resemble a culture spam central...

mikeyg27

Quote from: "23 Daves"the Klinker in Dalston is essential (if placed in a slightly edgy area,.

Pffft. That's in the nicer part of Dalston. At least it's not on Kingsland Road.

I guess Dalston was crossed off your list at a fairly early stage. Wuss (there are actually nice parts of Hackney, like Victoria Park village which gentrified the minute my family moved away, although of course it's damn pricey).

Looking at your list of potential places I'd have to say that

• Crouch End
• East Finchley
• Muswell Hill  - I have a problem with all these areas because they're a misssion to get to from Hackney, and an awful lot of my school lived around here, with their big houses, and clean walls, and gardens (bastards). However, I suspect that they're probably very nice places. I just won't admit it. Also, I find them a bit soulless, but I think that's the people.

• Haringey - I play rugby here in the summer, and it's quite 'interesting' around wood green in summer. Finding a nice place here would probably be a bit hard.

• Kilburn
• Upper Walthamstow  - don't know much about these areas, apart from the fact that Kilburn is quite a long cycle from Hackney. Upper Walthamstow doesn't verge into Chingford does it?

• Wanstead - I used to play rugby here, and the main area between Snaresbrook and Wanstead stations is pretty nice, however it also seems to have it's fair share of wankers (yes, that includes rugby players).

23 Daves

Quote from: "mikeyg27"
I guess Dalston was crossed off your list at a fairly early stage. Wuss

My partner lived in Dalston for a year or so... each and every one of her housemates was mugged at least once, apart from her... she got away scot free.  She smugly seems to believe this is because she must seem 'unmuggable' or something, but I just think she's been very lucky.

Anyway, as a result of all that and everyone's negative experiences, it's never been a prime choice.  I used to go through Dalston quite a bit, and to be honest Kingsland Road is just one of those places where nothing has to actually happen or I don't have to get even looked at by anyone, it just has this really edgy vibe that puts the shits up me.  A brilliant bowel loosener, I've found... but then you're right, I'm a coward.

She also used to live in Haringey, and she had a really nice, really cheap place - jammy deal of the century, in fact (the kind I could do with finding again).  She rented from some Buddhist woman who was going to Asia for a year to worship Buddha more enthusiastically, and wanted people to rent her nice, modern flat while she was gone.  The kind of deal that comes along once in a blue moon.  I quite like Haringey for reasons I can't explain - I used to live in Stamford Hill, but I'd split my time between the two as our relationship got serious, and I always preferred Haringey.  I just liked Green Lanes, the Turkish stores in particular (half of which were just a front for heroin trafficking, actually, and weren't there for variety).  There were loads of shootings and gang fights round there, but it was all between rival Turkish gangs - hence the place has a reputation, but I've never felt threatened round there.

Terrible cockroach problem mind you, because the council in all their wisdom demolished an estate filled with them, and of course the roaches just moved to nearby private houses instead.  Having a place in Haringey is therefore like signing a contract to put up homeless Asian cockroaches in the community.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "mikeyg27"...the main area between Snaresbrook and Wanstead stations is pretty nice...
Ah, happy memories.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "23 Daves"My partner lived in Dalston for a year or so... each and every one of her housemates was mugged at least once, apart from her... she got away scot free.  She smugly seems to believe this is because she must seem 'unmuggable' or something, but I just think she's been very lucky.

Yes, she's definitely some sort of gifted freak (in a good way). I think the amount of mugging attempts made on me probably just about go into double figures, and the vast majority of these have been within a mile of my doorstep. Hell, quite a few have been on my road. However, the police have started to get their act together now, and group dispersal orders are in effect. I haven't had a mugging attempt made on me in about three years (they only cared when I was in school uniform).

But like I said earlier, there are other parts of Hackney worth a look. Just not Dalston. Or Clapton, thst might even be worse.

I've lived in Crouch End and Wanstead and highly recommend both.  Both are quite cheap rental wise and have a gorgeous villagey feel I love.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I have to do GBP because this damn yankee keyboard doesn't have the pound sign (oh sorry, # is what's known as 'pound sign' here)
They could at least have the Euro symbol....

Assuming you have a PC, try holding down Windows key + ALT and then typing 156 (on the number pad).

I have nothing to say about living in London.  Sorry.