Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,311
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2006 LPs...

Started by Ciarán2, January 07, 2006, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarán2

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by starting this one up, let me know if so.

Worth posting the link Mayer included in his thread last year...

The pre-release list

There are plenty of interesting new albums to be getting on with already, here are a couple;

Broken Social Scene "Broken Social Scene"
Belle and Sebastian "The Life Pursuit"
Cat Power "The Greatest"
Sparks "Hello Young Lovers"
Plan B
Arctic Monkeys "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"
The Streets "The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living" (April)
Pet Shop Boys "Fundamental" (April)

Loads of people have been raving about that Sparks album but I've not heard it myself yet.

Was quite disappointed with the new Cat Power. Only the title track really grabbed me to be honest.

Been listening to the new Graham Coxon; Love travels at Illegal Speeds - sounds  awfully pop-punk to me, but its a pretty enjoyable listen nonetheless.

mayer

From that list at a glance

Outkast, Primal Scream, Massive Attack, Spiritualized, Morrissey, Flaming Lips, The Streets, The Futureheads, HOTS, and especially the YYYs!

Fuck me, if most/some of those pull it off this could be a really really top year, couldn't it?

Neil

Wtf is that Janes Addiction one?!  A best of?  Are The Delays good?  Trotters told me about one of their songs which is a nice Fannies-style affair, but I've not got round to checking out the rest of the album.

Can at least some of these albums spin off into new threads please so they get some decent discussion?!

Ciarán2

Sorry, yes, forgot to mention Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, I'm looking forward to their new one.

Popjustice say the Pet Shop Boys' new one is their best since "Very", but then I liked "Release" a lot so my taste might be up my hole. I'm also excited about the new Sparks album which apparently "picks up where Li'l Beethoven left off". Tremendous!

Neil

Oh I just edited that out cause I only scan-read the list, it's the first album rather than a new one, bah.  Ooh they're playing Queens on the 3rd of Feb,well I'm DEFINITELY going to that seeing as Dr. Dog are supporting.

Spiteface

I haven't read the list, but, I'm hoping the new JJ72 album finally gets released soon.

I'm not really up on albums right now, but looking forward to a possible release of the Smashing Pumpkins farewell gig at the Metro in chicago - from what I heard the band will get the rights to their music back from virgin this year, meaning they'd be able to release it themselves.

Personally I'd also love a new album from Kevin Shields, but we all know what he's like.

Darrell

Andy Partridge - Fuzzy Warbles 7 & 8.

On the 'no titles' front, I'm looking forward to 'Audio Release Of Bonzo Dog Band Reunion Concert' and 'Untitled They Might Be Giants Album'.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm hoping Ulrich Schnauss pull his finger out and gets his new album out, and presumably The Go! Team will be bringing their second album out this year too! I'm also vaguely looking forward to new stuff by Morrissey and Youth Group too.

Maximash

New Prefuse 73 album coming out February 6th, 'Security Screenings' although after Surrounded By Silence my expectations are set pretty low.

Venetian Snares has an album on the way in May! Great title too: (joking) 'Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms'. Apparently it's going to sound like this: http://sisforawesome.com/venetiansnares/unreleased.mp3

LadyDay

Quote from: "Ciarán"Sorry, yes, forgot to mention Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, I'm looking forward to their new one.

It's good, if you like early Talking Heads, or you could just listen to early Talking Heads.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"I'm hoping Ulrich Schnauss pull his finger out and gets his new album out, and presumably The Go! Team will be bringing their second album out this year too!

Yes to both of those, if they happen!

I've heard the new Mogwai one, which is quite surprising in places (i.e. the country and western track, and slightly more emphasis on vocals than usual). The Isobel Campbell/Mark Lanegan collaboration sounds intriguing too.

My local record store, Reveal in Derby, are starting up their own label this year, and are putting out material by Joan As Policewoman, Kris Drever, and Deep Elem later this month, all well worth a listen. I'm trying to talk them into signing London-based scouse psychsters Of Arrowe Hill at the moment too (OAH should have something new out during 2006 anyway, and if it's half as good as last year's 'Hexadelica And The Speed Of Darkness' I'll be well pleased)

Neil

I only heard Ulrich Schnauss for the first time in the summer there but, yeah, very nice indeed.

Quote from: "LadyDay"It's good, if you like early Talking Heads, or you could just listen
to early Talking Heads.

Hehe that's very true!  It's very odd to see it on that 'coming soon' list when the album leaked a couple of months ago, although it seems to be something to do with it getting released and then withdrawn or something.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Ciarán"Popjustice say the Pet Shop Boys' new one is their best since "Very", but then I liked "Release" a lot so my taste might be up my hole. I'm also excited about the new Sparks album which apparently "picks up where Li'l Beethoven left off". Tremendous!

The more acoustic/rock based the PSB's music, the happier I am. I think they've been through thatphase for a while now, so my hopes aren't too high. I'll see what my brother thinks first, as he's a certifiable PSB obsessive.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "Ciarán"Popjustice say the Pet Shop Boys' new one is their best since "Very", but then I liked "Release" a lot so my taste might be up my hole. I'm also excited about the new Sparks album which apparently "picks up where Li'l Beethoven left off". Tremendous!

The more acoustic/rock based the PSB's music, the happier I am. I think they've been through thatphase for a while now, so my hopes aren't too high. I'll see what my brother thinks first, as he's a certifiable PSB obsessive.

Yes, one of my favourite PSB tracks is "Hit and Miss", despite its veering into MOR territory, or maybe because of its veering into MOR territory. I was thrilled with "Release" because it reminded me of "Behaviour" in tone. I've been playing "Nightlife" a bit lately, but still...not that impressed by it. I wonder what that Diane Warren one on their new album will be like?

Rubbish Monkey

QuoteHello, MELT-BANANA here.
A Happy New Year!

......this year we would like to make another good year, and we are making a
new album. Once we start making an album, we focus to it so much that we can
not think about other things much, so we are not sure about plans later this
year... Anyway, get ready for our new music this year!!

Woo-hoo!

Can't forget about the new Tool album either, which is pencillied in for Spring/April.

Quote from: "Neil"Wtf is that Janes Addiction one?!  A best of?  

Judging by the fact that Jane's are now defunct again and this time Perry claims it's for good, I'll wager it's a live release or comp of some kind - especially as the title 'Up From The Catacombs' alludes to a lyric from 'Chip Away'.  

It's a Jane's Addiction release though, which pretty much guarantees my putting my hand in my pocket.

EDIT:  It's a 'best of'.  I can't find a tracklisting anywhere, but since 'Kettle Whistle' pretty much cleared the vault of rarities and off-cuts the first time around, I wouldn't hold your breath for any interesting inclusions.

...And yes, I'll be looking forward to Eels 'With Strings: Live At The Town Hall', since it was a very special night.

mayer

Apparently the Johnny Boy LP has leaked, and I didn't even know they'd recorded one!

EDIT: According to Soulseek, it's self titled, and came out in 2005...

hulahoops

Quote from: "mayer"Apparently the Johnny Boy LP has leaked, and I didn't even know they'd recorded one!

EDIT: According to Soulseek, it's self titled, and came out in 2005...

I'm still deciding on it.  Everything sounds a bit duller coming after You Are The Generation....

mayer

Deciding on it?!?!? You knew about it and didn't tell me! Tsk. Soulseek has me queuing till some point next week.... Is it actually out then? Or coming out soon?

And everything in life sounds dull after ".... Generation....." :-)

EDIT: I'm grabbing it now from dot org. I'm told it was recorded for Mercury, and then not released.

Fucking Mercury. Do they do that with every band then? Or just the good ones?

hulahoops

Quote from: "mayer"Fucking Mercury. Do they do that with every band then? Or just the good ones?

Thanks to Mercury, 2006 probably won't see the release of a Thee Unstrung album.  And that can only be a good thing.

Rubbish Monkey

How many original members of Sepultura are left because im listening to them for the first time in ages and this new album thing don't sound half as good as anything else. I know Max left but did Igor leave too? Heh.. it may be growing on me though as i listen. Perhaps im just getting drunker.

edit> no its till shit no matter how drunk I am

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"How many original members of Sepultura are left because im listening to them for the first time in ages and this new album thing don't sound half as good as anything else. I know Max left but did Igor leave too? Heh.. it may be growing on me though as i listen. Perhaps im just getting drunker.

edit> no its till shit no matter how drunk I am

It's just Max that has left. Igor, Andreas and Pablo (?) are still in it.

The Plaque Goblin

The only forthcoming album I'm interested in is the one Rye Coalition are going to put out in April called 'Curses' preceded by the 'Chariots On Fire'  EP.

I'm not sure, however, if it's a good thing that their new material has been produced by Dave Grohl and they're currently supporting the Foo Fighters on a European tour.

QuoteIn April we will release our long awaited album "Curses". A collection of 12 brand spanking new songs produced by Dave Grohl.  An ass kicker of an album by any man's standards, it could blow the beard off of any hipster's face and could melt the star tattoos on any gal's body.  We know it has been a long time coming, but it is well worth the wait. These are the best Rye Coalition songs to date. The mixes are hot and the album cover is hotter. We can't wait to give birth to this little monster so we can watch it wreak havoc on the earth. Fans....Nurture the baby. Love the monster. Love it like it's your own. It is our gift to you.

purlieu

Sucker for lists that I am, here's my 2006 list:

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of Broken Seas (January 30th)
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit (Feb 6th)
Diane Cluck - Macy's Day Bird/Black With Green Leaves (February 28th)
Graham Coxon - Love Travels At Illegal Speeds (March 13th)
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors (April 3rd)
The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics (April 3rd)
The Streets - The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living (April 11th)
Therapy? (April 24th)
Isobel Campbell - Milk White Sheets (April)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (May 8th)
Current 93 - Black Ships Ate The Sky (May)
Current 93 - Whilst The Night Rejoices Profound And Still
OutKast - Idlewild
Multi-Panel - Train Times For Sway
The Divine Comedy
Travis
Jarvis Cocker
The Shins
The Tears
Six Organs of Admittance

Possibles:
Prodigy
Blur
Max Richter
The Bluetones
Underworld
Franz Ferdinand
Radiohead
Manic Street Preachers
Nine Inch Nails

splattermac

Quote from: "purlieu"Sucker for lists that I am, here's my 2006 list:

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of Broken Seas (January 30th)

You can stream a pre-listen here http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/luisterpaal/luisterpaalmain.shtml

Also has the new Coldcut, Cat Power, Clap your hands say yeah!, Coil, Archie in Helsinki + others.

Brutus Beefcake

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"
QuoteHello, MELT-BANANA here.
A Happy New Year!

......this year we would like to make another good year, and we are making a
new album. Once we start making an album, we focus to it so much that we can
not think about other things much, so we are not sure about plans later this
year... Anyway, get ready for our new music this year!!

Woo-hoo!

Can't forget about the new Tool album either, which is pencillied in for Spring/April.

Melt Banana should be good, I'm dreading the new Tool though, it's bound to be compressed to buggery.

The only thing I'm really looking forward to is whatever the Melvins have planned, they never let me down.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Peeping Tom in May apparantly.

Ciarán2

The Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album is absolutely brilliant. Yes, it is a bit like Talking Heads in places. I'm going to write up a review of it and post it in here tomorrow.

Next week, I'll get Sparks, Broken Social Scene and Belle and Sebastian LPs.