Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2006 LPs...

Started by Ciarán2, January 07, 2006, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Sadness"In a blatant piece of self-promotion my latest album "JOLLITY" (by PUGWASH) is finally getting it's UK release on May 6th 2006. Plenty of promo so you never know..........

Actually, a pal of mine is raving about your album, Sadness, so I might have to give it a go. ;-)

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: "purlieu"No no no. They nicked some riffs even Franz Ferdinand found too annoying and shouted over them for forty minutes.

A bit harsh I reckon.  When the stuff was first shared around last year, I thought it was one of the better things I've heard in the last few years... some hits, some misses, but some great little nuggets there.  Just cos they've gone overground, there seems to be a backlash already - incredible.

Don't really rate Broken Social Scene.  Saw them last year when my mate's band supported them in Manchester.  A bit like a more shambolic Granddaddy.  Perhaps they're better on record...  They certainly aren't going to threaten Neil Young's position as Canada's greatest export, anyway!

rjd2

Quote from: "hansen mork"M.C Hammer is making another comeback.

http://savemanny.blogspot.com/2006/02/mc-hammer-is-still-alive.html[/url]

He was meant to release couple of tracks "dissing" Busta and Eminem a few years ago but it never happened nor will this comeback as he's shit and has as much cred in the rap game as the presenters of quizmania.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Anyone heard the new Eels record then?

Captain Crunch

Anyone heard the new Darkthrone?  I'm no spring chicken but I've never heard the word twat uttered with such rabid conviction.

Jemble Fred

First interesting album possibility of the year announced:

Stars duet for Bennett birthday
Tony Bennett won a Grammy for The Art of Romance
Sir Paul McCartney is one of several stars who will duet with Tony Bennett to mark the singer's 80th birthday.

Sir Elton John, Bono, George Michael, Sting, Mary J Blige, Barbra Streisand and John Legend will also appear on an album celebrating the star's big day.

The crooner, whose hits include I Left My Heart in San Francisco, first hit the charts in the 50s and won a Grammy last month for his latest album.

Bennett turns 80 in August and the album will be released in September.

The singer recently signed a deal with record company Sony BMG, which described him as "one of the most legendary performers of all time".

Bennett is currently on a tour of the US, which takes in Florida, California, New Jersey and Texas.

Quote from: "Identity Crisis Ahoy!"Anyone heard the new Eels record then?

Is that the 'Live At The Town Hall' thingy?  I see it's out on DVD too - that'll be an essential purchase.

lazyhour

Sir Elton John, Bono, George Michael, Sting, Mary J Blige, Barbra Streisand and John Legend all packed into one bland, flabby, turgid spectacle of an album?  It's a line-up that's hard to top for sheer rising horror.

Prove me wrong, Bennett, prove me wrong.

Sounds absolutely vile.

splattermac

One for fans of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They are touring the UK in May and their website has a link to the UK dates and the chance to buy tickets ahead of the game. here

rjd2

About.
Bloody .
Time.

Legendary rockers Guns 'N' Roses will release their first album in 13 years next month when the long awaited Chimese Democracy finally hits store shelves.

The LP has been more than a decade in the making after a series of postponements and production problems.

The November Rain hitmakers last released new material in 1993 with their covers album The Spaghetti Incident.

Frontman Axl Rose has promised fans a more "complex" record and hinted at festival appearances this summer.

Guitarist Slash gushes: "I'm really excited. It's been a long time waiting to see what the next step was, but it's coming out in March and sounds great.

"I'm just waiting for the record to come out, so I'm glad we've finally got to the point that that's happening."

The new album contains 13 tracks with titles including Better, There Was A Time and The Blues.

Paaaaul

I'll
Believe
It
When
I
See
It

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

But Slash isn't in G'n'Rs anymore is he?

mayer

Quote from: "Paaaaul"I'll
Believe
It
When
I
See
It

Three odd songs have already leaked though. Dunno what they're doing talking about Slash in that piece though.

Neil

The new ones by the Liars and Pink Mountaintops are great, been playing them lots.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

The Slash thing confused me too...

The 'leaked' tracks are fucking excellent.

Last I heard, it was Axl and 'some blokes'.

Is Tommy Stinson still on board?  The Replacements were fucking great.

rjd2

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"Last I heard, it was Axl and 'some blokes'.

Is Tommy Stinson still on board?  The Replacements were fucking great.
Axl Rose (vocals)
Robin Finck & Richard Fortus (guitars)
Tommy Stinson (bass)
Dizzy Reed (keyboards)
Brian "Brain" Mantia (drums)
Thats the line up at the moment I think.

And no Slash is not on board but he and Axl have kissed and made up

http://www.nme.com/news/slash/22190

Dave - sorry David - Gilmour's solo CD is out a week on Monday.

I have only his heard is first solo LP and it is pretty MOR. A couple of good tunes on it, but not much more than a couple.

HIs second solo LP About Face was apparently ever more MOR (which would be to my estimation a REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, vibe)

Heres a link I have found that plays the title track of the new CD - which is called On An Island.

www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc104/

After listening to the song I am impressed. Had a Meddle/Obscured By Clouds feel to it. Definetly wouldn't be out of the place on those oldies but goldies.

Peking O

Quote from: "Neil"The new one by the Liars

Absolutely. Great record. I've only heard it a few times, but it's really getting under my skin.

Neil

Quote from: "Peking O"Absolutely. Great record. I've only heard it a few times, but it's really getting under my skin.

Yep, I love that kind of tribal drumming, generally I don't take much notice of drumming at all.  Particularly fond of "It Fit When I Was A Kid."  (EDIT:  And "Drum And The Uncomfortable Can", that's outstanding)  Enjoying the new Fiery Furnaces record on first listen, dunno how good it is yet.  Got the new Half-Handed Cloud one too, but not had a chance to check it out yet.

Quote from: "Tom Pynchon's Photo"Dave - sorry David - Gilmour's solo CD is out a week on Monday.

I have only his heard is first solo LP and it is pretty MOR. A couple of good tunes on it, but not much more than a couple.

HIs second solo LP About Face was apparently ever more MOR (which would be to my estimation a REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, vibe)

No.  It's a little more 80s sounding than his debut, but aside from the opening track, it's still unmistakable as being Fat Dave.  Like the debut though, it's hit and miss - a collection filler at best.  

As much as I like Gilmour, it's the prospect of future works from Waters which might excite me.
We need another proper solo album from Smiling Rog.  No operas.  :)

klaatu!

Quote from: "Neil"Enjoying the new Fiery Furnaces record on first listen, dunno how good it is yet.

Is that Rehearsing My Choir, or have they got a new one out soon? I've really been enjoying their stuff over the past few months or so.

Neil

It's a new one, Bitter Tea, with lots of reversed stuff.  I really like "I'm Gonna Run" from Gallowsbird's Bark, that's a belting tune.  EDIT:  Oh, apparently they recorded this at the same time as the Granny record.

Part Chimp

Quote from: "Neil"liars

Let's Not Wrestle Mt. Heart attack and A Visit From Drum are two of the most startlingly original songs I've heard in a while. Can't wait to see if they can pull this off live.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Flaming Lips new album seems great from the few times I've heard it. I especially like It Overtakes Me/The Stars Are So Big.

rjd2

The new Dilated Peoples album while nowhere as good as Expansion Team or the Platform is an improvement on the rather disjointed than their last album  Neighbourhood watch. Anyways this new Neil Diamond album produced by Rick Rubin is it any good?

Maximash

Anyone gagging for a new Tim Hecker album (like me) should try October Language by Belong... not brilliant by any means but very pleasant.

chand

I got that last week and was listening to it today, I really like it, reminds me a bit of Stars Of The Lid albeit not quite as ambient. Or Growing, perhaps.

sproggy

Quote from: "Tom Pynchon's Photo"Dave - sorry David - Gilmour's solo CD is out a week on Monday.

Given this a couple of plays today.

It's pleasant enough (MOR yes) very mellow and stripped back with plenty of DG solo's to keep the interest up.  I can see myself listening to this on a warm summer's evening, drifting on the river with a galss of Pimms.