Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Free/Libre Open Source Fonts and Clip Art?

Started by ClaudiusMaximus, January 12, 2006, 05:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClaudiusMaximus

I've been working on some visuals to accompany my live music for my next gig at Make Art 2006, and I need some Free/Libre Open Source Fonts, seeing as the festival is about Free/Libre Open  Source Software and Art.

Plenty of fonts are free, but not Free - for example, here is the EULA for Webdings et al - note the prohibition on derivative works, this is a big problem, as I need to convert the .ttf into a form suitable for use in my software of choice and distribute all my work for free.

Here's a (very rough) draft of the kind of thing I'm aiming for:

As you can imagine, this would look even worse with standard Latin glyphs.

So: Free, exotic fonts?  Are there any?  Where?

Alternatively, I could make a font out of Free clip-art.  Is there any?  Where?

slim

Sorry, I can't help, but I just wanted to say that, that grid is fab. It has some quality about it I just really like. Perhaps it's the soft colours, repetition and simplicity.

ClaudiusMaximus

Thanks slim!

I did a bit more searching, and found this unicode fontguide, with quite a few nice fonts under friendly licenses like the GPL, so have another grid thing with the Thai font Loma Bold that I found on that site:

(and no, I can't read Thai, so I have no idea how obscene the arrangement of the letters is..)

I also found this Open Clip Art Library.  All the images appear to be in the public domain, which is nice.

Flook

http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/bluevertigo.htm

Scroll the panel along the bottom til you get to fonts/free, theres over a nundred site links.

Also loads of other stuff on there, stock photos, illustrations, tatoshop brushes, etc etc.

In fact I think I'll put the link in the learn how to mong thread too.

ClaudiusMaximus

Quote from: "Flook"http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/bluevertigo.htm

Visiting that link crashes my Firefox.  "Insufficient Resources" my arse, I've got 120MB free!  I blame the non-Free  Flash plugin ;-)

Thanks for the link, I looked at it briefly in another (text-only) browser, looks like there are a tonne of links there.

[Firefox version: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20051031 Firefox/1.0.7].

Quote from: "jutl"http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/levine/index.htm

Those are pretty much exactly what I was looking for in terms of appearance, but the difference between free and Free is one of the crucial things for this particular festival.  I've bookmarked it for other uses, though - some of those fonts are ace!

Meanwhile I uploaded some more images and wrote a bit about how I made them (techyish).