Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Thread About Threads.

Started by TraceyQ, January 18, 2006, 12:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frinky

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Jeans in general are wrong.  I say this as an owner of a fat arse and short legs, so maybe I'm biased.  Ngh.

Frinky rocks the flared 70's jeans with his ridiculously long legs. If I wear straight jeans, it looks like I'm going to fall over because I'm on stilts, they give me the purchase I need to look grounded.

wasp_f15ting

I do like M&S winter collection.. I know winter is slowly going now, but their Merino & Cashmere Jumpers are so nice to wear... Something about cashmere though, you can just keep stroking it.. Their Collizone or whatever its called is a pretty nice collection.

I bought a few of their Merino jumpers, and they have lasted very well I must say. Got them in October, and they are still going strong, no fluffing or nasty threading. They might be a bit cheaper now, but they were £35 a piece back then. Merino wool is different to normal wool, its warming yet very thin. So you can easily wear it to your office etc. I only bought one of their cashmere ones, since it was pricey :( Nice, I tend to wear it for special occassions.

For shirts, I tend to stick with Van Huesen's Egyptian Cotton collection. Very very soft, this site is pretty cheap, though they don't stock their best lines in there. There are a few Huesen shops around trainstations etc, there was one in manchester picadilly, dont know if its still there. I am going to try this next. They look quite nice. For suites I tend to get them tailored if I can. The one I have now is from a tailor in Manchester, but I need a couple for this year, since I have lots of interviews coming up :(

Shoes? I tend to stick with Timberland's formal collection. Since they have a bendy sole, I hate wearing hard soles :(

jimmy jazz

Yup, it seems to be the in thing to have crude sexual innuendos on your T shirt. The only place in Portsmouth where you won't find that is the casual section of Moss Bros, where I've been once and found 2 alright T shirts. I just want a nice, plain T shirt that won't need 20 washes before it becomes a colour you wouldn't be seen dead out in.

Quote from: "petercussing"How can you not rip the piss out of each other for wearing that? How can you merk, slew or draw down on some one when you're wearing what effectively is a child's jacket? You don't look hard!

It continually amuses me that nearly everything worn by the supposed "hard" types around where I live is actually terribly terribly camp.  There's a large amount of whiter than white clothing - matching white jeans, white trainers and white puffa jacket.  Diamond earrings seem to be a must, which seems odd.  I still remember the days when if a fella had an earring he was deemed to be a bit of a girl, so a diamond earring is tantamount to cross-dressing.  Hair always in a fashionable and strangely shaped cut.  I think they look incredibly, well, for want of a better word, gay.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "petercussing"How can you not rip the piss out of each other for wearing that? How can you merk, slew or draw down on some one when you're wearing what effectively is a child's jacket? You don't look hard!

It continually amuses me that nearly everything worn by the supposed "hard" types around where I live is actually terribly terribly camp.  There's a large amount of whiter than white clothing - matching white jeans, white trainers and white puffa jacket.  Diamond earrings seem to be a must, which seems odd.  I still remember the days when if a fella had an earring he was deemed to be a bit of a girl, so a diamond earring is tantamount to cross-dressing.  Hair always in a fashionable and strangely shaped cut.  I think they look incredibly, well, for want of a better word, gay.

I think there's a lot of irony around when it comes to 'hard' or 'chav' clothing. Like how all the coats seem to be hi-vis jackets with a label stitched onto them. Or the pink and yellow striped tight T shirts. It's just, as you say, gay

Frinky

Quote from: "jimmy jazz"I just want a nice, plain T shirt that won't need 20 washes before it becomes a colour you wouldn't be seen dead out in.

Topman used to do £6 plain colour tees that were very good. They were "muscle" tees, ie, the sleeves matched the contours of your arms instead of flaring out (the former is acceptable as a garment on its own, the latter not), which you can then do with as you wish. They're good quality, and a nice fit if you're of a slim/built up frame.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Jeans in general are wrong.  I say this as an owner of a fat arse and short legs, so maybe I'm biased.  Ngh.

Not biased, sweetness, you just need to find the right pair and you'll never look back.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "jimmy jazz"I just want a nice, plain T shirt that won't need 20 washes before it becomes a colour you wouldn't be seen dead out in.

Topman used to do £6 plain colour tees that were very good. They were "muscle" tees, ie, the sleeves matched the contours of your arms instead of flaring out (the former is acceptable as a garment on its own, the latter not), which you can then do with as you wish. They're good quality, and a nice fit if you're of a slim/built up frame.

Topman has just become another "Terry's Tit Watching" shirt shop, though. Last time I went in there it was even worse than Burtons. And I think I used to have a couple of those tees as well. As I was born with broad (bordering on comical) shoulders and a thin-ish waist (for someone with so broad shoulders anyway,) they would look good.

Quote from: "TraceyQ"

Not biased, sweetness, you just need to find the right pair and you'll never look back.

Jeans are the only thing you can excuse spending a whole day shopping for. My advice is to go for the more expensive jeans as they tend to have more room in the arse/ crotch area.

Frinky

Quote from: "jimmy jazz"Topman's just become another "Terry's Tit Watching" shirt shop, though. Last time I went in there it was even worse than Burtons. And I think I used to have a couple of those tees as well. As I was born with broad (bordering on comical) shoulders and a thin-ish waist (for someone with so broad shoulders anyway,) they would look good.

Same frame as me, then. I found them on the website, under "basics". You're right about the most part of their range, but these were just simple, cheap garments, and they look a shitload better than the £30/£40 tees they sell. Give it a look!

Quote from: "jimmy jazz"I think there's a lot of irony around when it comes to 'hard' or 'chav' clothing.

Irony is usually something I associate with at least a modicum of intelligence, self-awareness and the ability to have a sense of humour about yourself.  Those who wish to appear like God's Gift To Gangsters don't really have those traits, I find.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "jimmy jazz"I think there's a lot of irony around when it comes to 'hard' or 'chav' clothing.

Irony is usually something I associate with at least a modicum of intelligence, self-awareness and the ability to have a sense of humour about yourself.  Those who wish to appear like God's Gift To Gangsters don't really have those traits, I find.

Oh no, they don't recognise it themselves, of course. They're too busy wearing tracksuit bottoms everywhere they go

TraceyQ

Quote from: "jimmy jazz"
Jeans are the only thing you can excuse spending a whole day shopping for. My advice is to go for the more expensive jeans as they tend to have more room in the arse/ crotch area.

Ah, see, having short legs will mean the crotch area on women's jeans will be too big for someone like our woofwoof. having a rise too high will cut her torso in half and make her look shorter.  The Petite section at most shops will probably sort you out, in the same way I have to go to the tall section to get the rise right on my jeans or trousers.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "mothman"OK, I have a question. My wife has requested, for her birthday, some sort of tank top that is apparently all the rage right now. Can you describe or illustrate, and suggest the best source of same?

It's probably not really a tank top, is it? Describe what it is she wants, because when I read "tank top" I automatically think of Argyle.

She's talking about one of these:

Not the British tank top (like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit wears), those are 'vests' now that American is becoming Britain's first language

jimmy jazz

Quote from: "jimmy jazz"

Ah, see, having short legs will mean the crotch area on women's jeans will be too bif for someone like our woofwoof. The Petite section at most shops will probably sort you out, in the same way I have to go to the tall section to get the rise right on my jeans or trousers.

Wow, I'm going to start wearing women's jeans then. Nearly every pair of jeans I've ever tried on is fine at the waist, and the leg, but then my thighs and crotch feel like they're going to explode. And I will never, ever, buy anything over a 32, even if it means me fasting

Gazeuse

I generally use c!othes to stop me appearing nood.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: "The Unicorn"
Not the British tank top (like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit wears), those are 'vests' now that American is becoming Britain's first language

In that case, scrap everything I have ever said on tank tops and change it to vest, but the male version of course, like this lovely chap on the left

Ah, I thought you were referring to the old style of tank tops, as demonstrated by my Paedophile Chic look, seen at a meet last year.

Photos available from probably everyone but me.  Yes, the ones you've pictured there are fuck-awful.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Irony is usually something I associate with at least a modicum of intelligence, self-awareness and the ability to have a sense of humour about yourself. Those who wish to appear like God's Gift To Gangsters don't really have those traits, I find.

Irony is wasted on the young.

Non unionized, child, sweatshop labour. Unsustainable cotton farming.
Who gives a fuck? They should be glad of a job init. Us apostles of apparel gotta feel good eh.

My sole recomendation would be to visit the John Smedley factory shop at Lea Mills in Derbyshire, about three miles south of Matlock Bath, just off the A6.

EDIT - to include quote

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Ok, so it turns out not everyone who uses the internet is either a geeky spod or Comic Book Guy, some of us actually like clothes.
There is a Third Way.

TraceyQ

I take your point, cheeky, but not all of us look as good as you with our kit off.

slim

Yay! The threads thread! :)

A general thing I'd like to say, on clothes, is that, now I can afford it, I don't mind spending obscene amounts on clothes. Not for the labels, you understand, I like to hide my sexy light under a bushel, but for the quality. Clothes are, if you're careful, one of the areas in life where money usually makes a difference. Of course, you can buy overpriced, badly made shit if you're a dickhead but frankly that's your problem... let me look after your money.

I love buying clothes, I love wearing clothes, I love dressing up. My big regret is that to get the job to earn the money to buy the nice clothes, I had to move somewhere far away from most of my friends and thus don't get the chance to go out and strut around like a funky cat often enough. Still, when I do I love every minute.

In terms of general style, I was a fan of the t-shirt with some kind of design and a jacket on the top, with faded jeans. It's still a mainstay but lately I find myself more and more attracted to shirts. Oh, the t-shirts, by the way, are not the kind with shit "funny" slogans on them that reside in so many wannabe-funky high street independents these days, I usually buy online or from designers direct so a) you get something less common and b) it has a bit of thought and style to it.

As every man who loves clothes knows, it's difficult for men to shop for decent stuff. Quite apart from the fact that the ladies have more choice, you have to contend with high-street chain buyers and designers who have had their eyes put out and replaced with gently-massaged round little turd balls, a lack of imagination on the part of those who decide what we can buy, a corporate culture meaning independent shops are declining in numbers excepting in big cities (although online trading is helping this), and finally senseless following of the season.

The last part is the worst for me, I think, especially when the presiding colours of the season, or current favoured retro-look, clash with your own style. When the fad for ripping off 60s and 70s stuff finished I was most disappointed. Suddenly the shops were full of fucking horizontal stripes, drainpipes and polka dots as every cunt who wasn't old enough to remember the horrors of fashion first time round went 80s crazy. The wankers. I have been under extreme stress in any clothes shop since that particular trend started, desperately trying not to strangle the assistants with cheap, stripy, baggy, flourescent jumpers.

Of course, living in a cultural desert helps none either. The closest we have to a decent clothes shop here is Hoax, although I suppose H&M does have the occasional item. Usually during the autumn season I can pick up a couple of bits, as I'm an earthy colours kind of guy, but it's only once a year and that's not enough to sate me.

Anyway, back to the shirts. Until the lucky two finds in Edinburgh, helped by the persuasive and pushy ladyslim making me try on two I might not normally have bothered with (being a typical grunting manshopper when in a bad mood), I've been wholly unable, even online, to find the shirt I want. My ideal shirt design is quite close to a 70s look and is bloody hard to find. I like big(ish) lapels, close fit at the chest and flaring slightly towards the bottom, with big double cuffs suitable for wearing unbuttoned. It's a bastard trying to find anything like that, so if anyone has any links or hints, I'd be grateful.

Christ, I could talk about clothes all day. In fact, this afternoon when I've finished reading the board, and boring you all with my thoughts on clothes, I'm going virtual shopping for a shirt and jumper, so I might be back with some links for opinions.

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I don't wear any.
Me neither, and my favourite comfy old jeans have, I've just discovered, a fetching split in the crotch. Chicken skin view, anyone?

Can I try and show off what I bought (or rather had bought for me) whilst away? I can't find links for the shirts at the mo, bummer, but I got this jacket. I'm looking forward to it warming up so I can stick it on. :)

I also got these sneakers just before going away, and am loving them. They're fat, comfy and go well with my wardrobe. They're the sneakers I've been waiting about 2½ years for and just in time too, as my old loved ones finally wore through the soles two weeks ago. **EDIT: Not actually true. The Etnies I bought aren't on the website, but they're a close approximation. Not as nice though.

I got some big fat, comfy, faded blue cords whilst I was away too. They're really, really baggy and feel like a throw back to my baggy days, but with a little more finesse. They manage to look great even with the over-bagginess and I'm looking for a new jumper to compliment them... Again, this purchase was an attempt to inject a bit of difference into my wardrobe as I'm too fond of bootcut brown cords and faded, bootcut, dark denim. Good as they are, I need a bit of choice.

Blah blah blah, me me me. The shirts are fly too, I'll see if I spot links to them whilst I'm off shopping. As for jewelry, I like a nice watch (particularly stolen ones) and a ring. Oh, I also have a silver chain and silver earrings. Those of you who don't like jewelry can kiss my sexy, bejewelled arse.

Tre

Wow slim - I never knew there was so much to say about clothes, and not just clothes in general, specifically your clothes. That post is quite incredible...dull drivel, that taught me nothing about anything else/myself – yet, strangely compelling. Genius.

On the subject of clothes – which evidently we are - I want a really nice white, soft girly shirt. I used to have a lovely one when I was about 14, but mum made me chuck it out 'cause I wore it too much and it was falling apart. I don't think it would fit me now anyway.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: "slim"Oh, I also have a silver chain and silver earrings. Those of you who don't like jewelry can kiss my sexy, bejewelled arse.

I bet my silver hoops are bigger than yours!

mothman

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Okay, this you can help me with.  I don't know what any of the below are called and I need to, as using the wrong word can damage a man's reputation.

(picture)

These then.  Lovely tight short type things that cling to delicious upper thighs.  Not baggy and usually cotton. What are they called?

I've often seen them labelled as trunks. I like them and have a large number of pairs. In recent years my wife has been buying me them made by a specific designer, I can't remember the name (and I'm not wearing a pair of them at the moment, sparing me the need to drop my trousers in the middle of the office) but she got them in Debenhams. They're VERY nice.

Quote from: "The Unicorn"
Quote from: "mothman"OK, I have a question. My wife has requested, for her birthday, some sort of tank top that is apparently all the rage right now. Can you describe or illustrate, and suggest the best source of same?

It's probably not really a tank top, is it? Describe what it is she wants, because when I read "tank top" I automatically think of Argyle.

She's talking about one of these:
(picture)

Really? I can see her in one of those. I can also see her in nothing BUT one of those.

*Pauses for contemplation*

So, where can I get them?

hencole

Why oh why oh why oh why do highstreet stores not stock trousers with waists over 38 inchs (and sometimes not even that ). Luckily I've now lost some weight, but for the past few years I have not been able to have the luxury of having the choice between more than one pair of trousers in almost all stores. I wasn't even that large so fuck knows how anyone who is actually over weight manages. I never buy jeans so maybe I'm limiting my options, but still.
Then there is the whole thing about shirts. Why oh why oh why do I have to buy the XX large or whatever the top size is. They almost never leave much room and could not possibly fit anyone who is overweight. So fatties where do you buy your clothes from?
And don't get me started on the price of clothes either. How do people afford them? I see so many people waltzing around with all the latest gear on that must cost more than I earn in a month. And whats more they have a different outfit for everyday of the year (this is mainly women though).

Anwyay as I'm off to monte carlo I need to get some cheap, but smart/swish clothes. Any ideas?

slim

Quote from: "Tre"Wow slim - [...] dull drivel, that taught me nothing about anything else/myself
I try, I try. One day I hope to post a four thousand word essay purely about me.

Quote from: "Tre"On the subject of clothes – which evidently we are - I want a really nice white, soft girly shirt. I used to have a lovely one when I was about 14, but mum made me chuck it out 'cause I wore it too much and it was falling apart. I don't think it would fit me now anyway.
That doesn't sound too hard to find. Do you mean a particular style? What fabric was it that made it so soft?

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"I bet my silver hoops are bigger than yours!
Heh, if I remember your picture then they are. Mine are small and dirty. Like, erm... well something small and... <trails off> eh? Eh? <grins>

<looks sheepishly at audience>

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "mothman"
Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Okay, this you can help me with.  I don't know what any of the below are called and I need to, as using the wrong word can damage a man's reputation.

(picture)

These then.  Lovely tight short type things that cling to delicious upper thighs.  Not baggy and usually cotton. What are they called?
trunks

Boxer briefs or Jockey shorts I thought.

mothman

Hency, I've bought my jeans from Next for years now. If I ever get above 38" waist though, I'm, er, stuffed. And it does seem to me that shirts seems smaller these days. If I don't get at least XXL they're useless. I don't even bother going into Gap anymore.

TraceyQ

Ah, Henry, have you not tried Uniqlo? I used to love it when they had a shop in the retail park next to where I work but they've now relocated to London. They were bang on when it came to jeans and cords and did sizes up to 42, IIRC. Their kids clothes were pretty damn good too.

This year I'm taking more of a feminine edge, mindful of the fact that I am 30 and it's not on for me to pretend to be 22 anymore. Even though I may look it  <pout, flutter>. So, for the first time in years I am having to re-learn to walk in heels and actually make sure if I show cleavage, I dont expose leg and vice-versa. I do, however, wear pants.

Almost Yearly

Never, ever expose your vice-versa.