Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:50:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Thread About Threads.

Started by TraceyQ, January 18, 2006, 12:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TraceyQ

Someone I knew did that at a party once. She ended up handing her notice in.

You should always be noticein' when there's hands around there.

Jemble Fred

When I was at University I used to get called 'Burtons Boy'. I took it as a compliment, and still would. My only problem with them is the same as all affordable clothes for blokes these days – clothes only seem to come in shades of black, grey and brown.

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "hencole"And don't get me started on the price of clothes either. How do people afford them? I see so many people waltzing around with all the latest gear on that must cost more than I earn in a month. And whats more they have a different outfit for everyday of the year (this is mainly women though).

The EU credit card debt mountain

slim

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"Jockey shorts I thought.
That's what I thought they were called.

TraceyQ

Whatever it is, they give me the facking 'orn.

Anyway, yes, Henry, I dont know how people do it (have new clothes all the time) either, cos most of my stuff usually comes from sale bits I pick up and then I do some accessorising to make it look like a new outfit.

slim

Okay, here's some stuff I've got my eye on. As usual, I've totally failed in my attempts to find what I was after but have been tempted by other stuff along the way.

I quite like the look of these trousers:

Or perhaps these instead?

Maybe these loose fit pants from Addict too? I'm definitely keen to get some comfy/stylish pants for this summer that I can wear without feeling either too comfy or too dressed. I miss combat trousers, I think, but am looking for something a bit different to fill that wardrobe gap.

Spring's not far away and so it's time to think about how I'll be exposing my spindly, pale, hairless slabs this season. How about these shorts?

Olive or charcoal? Hmmm. Or both?

In a totally unnecessary and extravagant sense, I have my eye on the following belts. I don't need a new belt, but just look at how fun they look!

One

two

and three.

I think number two, Mandelbrot, might make me twenty quid worse off quite soon.

Despite wanting to move away from it a bit, being unable to resist temptation as I am, I really like this t-shirt:

Or maybe in blue to go with my new cords?

Finally, I'm not really that keen on this but my search for a new jumper gets ever more desperate, so I'm thinking of lowering my expectations, like all good comedy fans should:

So what do people think? Take your chance - help me spend money I don't have in the most stylish way possible - tell me if it's shit. Of course, the missus always gets the final say as she's the one who has to look at it, but you can influence these early stages! Vote now! NOW!

Oh, and some links for men who fancy a look around:

www.headstrong.co.uk
www.arkclothing.com
www.urbanindustry.co.uk
www.frankisfrank.co.uk
www.noflysonus.com
www.mainlinemenswear.co.uk
www.stylevenue.com
www.urbanitystore.com
www.spunkystore.co.uk
www.island-leisure.co.uk
www.henrilloydstore.co.uk
www.theg-room.com
www.cult.co.uk
www.asos.co.uk

ladyslim collated a lot of these for me. There's more out there too, it's just bloody time consuming finding it. I find a good method is to look at the label of something you have that you particularly love, google for them and check out the stockists of that label. Sometimes you can find a good online catalogue that way. Some of those links are better than others.

Oh, as for how I afford clothes that expensive; I don't go out as much as I did and I pack lunches for work.

Frinky

Not with shirt, tie, jacket, trilby and waders.  Phwaor.

slim

Quote from: "Frinky"Shorts are bad.
Even nice long shorts? My legs would boil to pieces if I didn't wear shorts. What do you wear? Speedos? :)

I've cut the list down further. It's now only £315 of stuff. I can't afford that much, so it's either time to be mercenary or look at how many months it'd take to clear £200 off my credit card...

Right.  Now that slim's coming across like some modern day Prince Regent (sartorially I mean.  I'm not suggesting that he commissions lavish palaces on the south coast or has stong negative views on the Catholic question) I want answers.
How many clothes do people have?  I mean ones they actually wear.  (for me I'm not including things like suits since I don't have to wear one and only keep one in reserve for rites of passage, state occasions and the like.)
Here's my tally, based largely on estimates since I can't be bothered to walk the ten or so paces into the bedroom.
Trousers: 3
Shirts: 7
T-Shirts: 10
Jumpers: 8
Coats/jackets: 5
Belts: 1
Shoes (pairs): 4
Need to do a bit of work on the trousers issue, but I was quite surprised when I totted up the jumpers and jackets.
Well?  I'm waiting.

23 Daves

Actually, this thread reminds me... a few months back I got a leather blazer jacket for £20 from Camden Market.  My wife got hold of the Observer at the weekend, and in their fashion magazine supplement was the number one warning: "Men-  do not wear leather blazers.  They are too awful for words".  Of course, she pissed herself laughing at this, and now I'm too self-conscious to wear the bastard jacket.

What's wrong with them?  I mean, really?  Is it one of those things that didn't survive the arse-end of Britpop that I'm marking myself out as an old fart by wearing?

slim

Quote from: "sick as a pike"Well?  I'm waiting.
Hmmm. I'm not sure I want to answer this.

Do you mean active garments, or to include those awaiting a reduction of 2" in waist capacity too?

I would like a palace. With a big walk in clothes room. Oh, and a walk in humidor too.

Did you forget bags, or are you not quite as girly as me?

Frinky

I mean active garments.  I have other items that are never worn year on year for a variety of reasons.
Bags?  People have more than one bag?  (Actually I have two now since the gift of the army surplus bag that Frinky recommended a while back)

edit: bag synchronicity

butnut

Trousers: 3
Shirts: err maybe 2 that I've worn in the last 3 years. Oh no - 2 cricket shirts too.
T-shirts - about 10-12 maybe
Jumpers - 3
Coats - 2
Belts - 1
Shoes - 4 (including cricket shoes)
Hats - 3
Scarves - 1
Dressing Gowns - 1
EDIT - Suit - 1 (Typical that I forget easily the most expensive clothes I own.)

I'm 99% sure I spent under £10 on clothes for myself last year. I splashed out a whole £25 on footwear, but that was the cricket shoes.

slim

Quote from: "sick as a pike"I mean active garments.
Okey dokey, I'll do a head count.

Quote from: "sick as a pike"Bags?  People have more than one bag?  (Actually I have two now since the gift of the army surplus bag that Frinky recommended a while back)
I have many, and, I suspect from that paragraph that one is the same as yours. Frinky is on a mission to spread his bag seed far and wide.

Frinky

TraceyQ

I'm on the lookout for a new bag, ackshurully. The V. expensive Valentino one I bought in Florence a couple of years ago is starting to look a little bit worn, even though the pockets and the colour are bang on for this season. Has Ladyslim seen any of worth recently?

Mr. Analytical

I'm reminded of Ade Edmonson in Blackadder 4.  To me clothes are a mundane and functional item, to slim they are the basis for his entire sense of self.

I own quite a few clothes but most I don't wear and have never worn (largely because they will have been given to me).

I have -

Trousers : 4 pairs, all jeans.
Tshirts : a dozen or so.
Jumpers : 2.
Shirts : 2.
Belts : 1.
Shoes : 3 pairs.
Jackets : 3.

This is largely because for a period of about 5 years I didn't buy a single item of clothing.  Last summer I realised that I didn't own a single black tshirt that wasn't pale grey and I'd been wearing the same 2 pairs of trousers alternatively for about 6 months and the same jacket for about 4 years.

I need new trousers and new jumpers though but I can't stand shops so I'll only buy online and finding decent online places that do my size isn't easy.

It's just so fucking tedious though and I really resent having to spend money on clothes at all.  If I could get by without looking like a nutter I'd happily wear a burlap sack with holes cut out for arms and head.

slim

Trousers (Outside/Comfy) : 7/3
Shorts: 3
Shirts (Outside/Work): 6/6
T-shirts (Outside/Comfy): 18/5
Jumpers (Outside/Comfy): 2/3
Jackets: 8
Bags: 6
Belts: 1
Shoes/Boots/Sneakers (pairs): 6
Scarves: 2
Hats: 2
Suits: 4*

You see?! It's the jumpers I need!

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Has Ladyslim seen any of worth recently?
I can ask her, or she might read this. She just bought one, as it happens, from the same splurge hour as when I did got buyed my new clothes.

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"I'm reminded of Ade Edmonson in Blackadder 4. To me clothes are a mundane and functional item, to slim they are the basis for his entire sense of self.
That's perhaps going a bit far, but I do love clothes. It's such a pleasant surprise finding something you like, and is so difficult to do, I tend to get a bit overexcited when talking about them.

* Although I only really like two of them, and one of those needs alteration.

Pah!  You were all mouth and ten pairs of trousers.  I expected a gargantuan textile slew after your earlier post.  Next time I see you I'll wear all my jumpers at the same time, just to taunt you, like a massive sweaty idiot.

lady slim

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Has Ladyslim seen any of worth recently?

i bought the coolest bag in edinburgh.  i'm not one for handbags, as i'm pretty much always with my camera bag which has a handy little pocket for girlie things, but i've always loved the old style carpet bags... both my mum and nan used to have one to keep knitting bits in.

so now i'm a proud owner of a carpet bag, which Mr. Slim loathes, but which makes me feel as cool as Mary Poppins...

am trying very hard to locate a pic, but for now its big and carpet like and suitable for carrying big plants and coat stands around in.

slim

Quote from: "sick as a pike"Pah!  You were all mouth and ten pairs of trousers.  I expected a gargantuan textile slew after your earlier post.  Next time I see you I'll wear all my jumpers at the same time, just to taunt you, like a massive sweaty idiot.
Well, I don't think I'm doing too bad. I excluded my clothes that I can't wear until I go back down in belly size a little too, so it's lower than it could be.

Anyway, it's quality, not quantity, darling. I could have 40 £2 t-shirts from Tescos, but I'd look like crap. I could wear them all at the same time though, and battle you in a clothing-sumo bout.

Edit: ^ That bag looks like a paisley monster has been sick on a normal bag.

Ciarán2

I think it was Quentin Crisp who said that following fashion is like signing a petition, and being stylish is like drawing up your own manifesto.

Nuts 'n Gum

Just slowly going through this thread, I've been trying to buy clothes for ages, need to update my jeans etc, and get some decent tops.
I'm very uncool probably, like a nice little boot cut/slightly flared jean, and black jumper usually, though it's very boring. Plus I'm in between 30" and 32" waist so everything's too big or too small!

As for shopping, I always have no idea where to go-usually end up at Next/Burtons/Gap etc, as they have clothes I'll wear, but not t-shirts as they're awful, as mentioned.
For t-shirts I usually end up wearing band ones-but my t-shirt of choice is this http://cgi.ebay.com/new-My-Bloody-Valentine-Tee-Shirt-slowdive_W0QQitemZ7581747755QQcategoryZ104675QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I'm just not rock star chic, despite trying to make the music!
It's depressing that whenever I see some of my friends they always look a lot more cooler than me, I just can't get the subtlety in wearing clothes.
ah well

Peking O

I thought this was going to be some kind of state of the (ironing) board thread. Has someone already made that joke? Couldn't be arsed looking through five pages of words about cloth.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Ciarán"I think it was Quentin Crisp who said that following fashion is like signing a petition, and being stylish is like drawing up your own manifesto.
Fashion is something so ugly it has to change every fifteen minutes / but style is something versatile, it's in the way you move and in the way you smile  - Heitham Al-Sayed out of Senser.

slim

Quote from: "Nuts 'n Gum"Plus I'm in between 30" and 32" waist so everything's too big or too small!
Buy 32" and wear a belt! As long as the thighs/bum/legs look ok, the size of the waist is flexible, just buy bigger.

Quote from: "Nuts 'n Gum"It's depressing that whenever I see some of my friends they always look a lot more cooler than me, I just can't get the subtlety in wearing clothes.
Get a woman who knows to teach you. Tasteful women are the best at this kind of thing.

Frinky

Or a gay.

Edit: a good gay, though, not a TV gay