Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

£125,000,000

Started by Lee, January 21, 2006, 09:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hencole

Quote from: "Timmay"
You could buy them online. I myself have just spent £8,400 on tickets via their website. I got offered 0% interest on a credit card and took them up on it, so have blown the lot on 5,600 tickets. I should make my money back at least. Fingers crossed!

Are you serious?
Probably the right thing to do though if a few grand doesn't mean that much to you. Your getting 13, 621 to 1 odds on winning which is OK particulalry if you choose a unique winning number and then you actually earn near double what the odds where giving you. Most of the time you will have blown 8K though. Good luck!

The Plaque Goblin

I've just bought some tickets for the first time online.

I wrote the numbers on 50 bits of paper and drew them out of a carrier bag.

I've since realized I've probably got 12 and 21 mixed up.

Oh well.

Quote from: "Timmay"
You could buy them online. I myself have just spent £8,400 on tickets via their website. I got offered 0% interest on a credit card and took them up on it, so have blown the lot on 5,600 tickets. I should make my money back at least. Fingers crossed!
I thought the maxinum amount you could pay in was £500.

There are 167,466 registered charities. That's like £746.42 each.

Timmay

I haven't really blown £8k on tickets. Just a more manageable £5.

However, a friend of mine recently suggested taking one of these credit cards up on their 0% for 6 months offers, and ploughing the money into Premium Bonds for the free period. You won't lose any money, but you could make...

The Plaque Goblin

You've bought 3 and 1/3 tickets?

Timmay

Bloody pedant. Okay, £6 to be precise.

hencole

Boo, you sounded all crazy and dangerous before.
I like the premium bond idea though.

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Timmay"I haven't really blown £8k on tickets. Just a more manageable £5.

However, a friend of mine recently suggested taking one of these credit cards up on their 0% for 6 months offers, and ploughing the money into Premium Bonds for the free period. You won't lose any money, but you could make...

It's 0% for balance transfers and purchases only - Cash withdrawals don't count, and you can't pay for bonds with credit.

slim

You could withdraw the cash on another card and then transfer the balance.

You'd probably not win enough to cover the fees they charge for cash withdrawals though - aren't most of them 2% of the withdrawal?

Frinky

Well, I'm in.

If I win, I will choose 4 of you at random, and give you each £2.5m.

You will have a week to live like kings, before the hitmen I've hired hunt you down for sport. And money. Lots of money.

slim

Ha! ladyslim and I bought a ticket each earlier and I said I'd select six whores and PM them asking for bank details, giving £50k to any who replied.

You are more generous than me. Except the killing bit.

As I said to ladyslim earlier too; if I did win, I'd probably die of shock and not get to enjoy it.

hencole

Quote from: "slim"

As I said to ladyslim earlier too; if I did win, I'd probably die of shock and not get to enjoy it.

Funnily enough googling 'it could be you' comes up with 1 picture for the lottery and two pictures of dead guys. Are those odds worth it?
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=it+could+be+you&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

Dark Sky

I always thought that if I was a phone-a-friend for someone I knew who was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?, and I knew the answer to the question they were stuck on, I'd demand (over the phone) that they give me at least half of the amount I'm about to win for them before giving them the correct answer.

Only fair, surely?

Sorry, that wasn't really relevant.

falafel

But then they wouldn't bother calling you. They'd be better off just sticking with what they got, wouldn't they, seeing as that'd be all they were guaranteed to get if you were their phone-a-'friend' anyway.

hencole

But they then have the chance to win more on the next question(s).

gazzyk1ns

Something which always irritates me is when the person finally gets to actually talk to their friend on Millionaire (i.e. after the friend has stopped pretending to be surprised and Tarrant has stopped trying to be funny), they read the question but then don't pause for a second or two. Surely it's wise to pause, because if your friend comes out with the correct answer before they've heard any options, you can be doubly sure that it's a good bet they're right. It could also work the other way round, if you pause and they're completely blank, or perhaps if they say "No idea...", but then upon hearing the options they say "I'm pretty sure it's C", you know that you should treat their answer with a certain amount of skepticism. You'd have to talk to them about your plan beforehand I suppose, otherwise there could be some confusion.

Timmay

Quote from: "cool_penguin_0"It's 0% for balance transfers and purchases only - Cash withdrawals don't count, and you can't pay for bonds with credit.
Balance transfers to overdrafts. Actual cash in your hand that is. I've already done it with a previous card, although that was only to pay off other cards and debts.

TraceyQ

When I win I will be spending it on shoes and sparkly hair grips and you lot can fuck right off.

weekender

Funny, that's what I'll be doing!

falafel

Likewise. And buttplugs.

TraceyQ

Not this week I wont. Ah, well.

The Plaque Goblin

09 21 30 39 50 - 01 03

Crap, but I got 21!

imitationleather

Not a single number. But, as I read the draw off the screen I realised that if I did see our numbers I would actually have a heart attack. How could someone not in that kind of situation?

TraceyQ

edit: No I didnt. I am a menkle.

weekender

Oh fuck, our syndicate at work got five numbers and one of the lucky stars, so we get fuck all.  ONE NUMBER OFF!!!

imitationleather

Doesn't that get about £500,000? It did last week.

weekender

Seriously?  What's that split between 9 people?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Do you win anything for 2 numbers and a lucky star?

I once genuinely believed that I had won the jackpot (I'd had some sort of brainfart and was comparing my work syndicate's numbers with the numbers on the lottery tickets). I did actually go numb with shock for about 20 seconds, until I realised that of course the numbers were going to be the same.

imitationleather

Like, over £50k.

But you're joking, you joker.

EDIT: Obviously that's in reply to weekender.

falafel

Tokyo:  I think about a fiver. I got the same.

Not bad, I guess.

weekender

One of these days I'll actually win a large amount of money, and you won't believe me, and I'll get to keep it all to myself.