Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Year's Dead

Started by Deadman97, January 25, 2006, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

QuoteIf you sat down to count from one to one billion, you would be counting for 95 years

http://www.punahou.edu/acad/sanders/geometrypages/GP10BillionEtc.html

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

That's an American billion, we're talking about a British billion.

El Unicornio, mang

Okay, well just use 'trillion' as mentioned in that article

Quoteit would take six trillion seconds or 190,259 years to reach the number one trillion (a billion in Britain)

Pinball

Quote from: "Al Tha Funkee Homosapien"That's an American billion, we're talking about a British billion.
A British billion is one thousand million, isn't it? And the American billion is the same, last time I saw it used. I'm getting really confused now!

imitationleather

Blimey, thanks everyone. It looks like I really would be better off just taking the bullet.

SetToStun

Quote from: "Pinball"
Quote from: "Al Tha Funkee Homosapien"That's an American billion, we're talking about a British billion.
A British billion is one thousand million, isn't it? And the American billion is the same, last time I saw it used. I'm getting really confused now!

The American billion has always been one thousand million. The British billion was originally one million million but has since been standardized to the American value as it was making mathematical discussion a bit tricky.

Well, that's a potted explanation. Here's a better one...

Bogey

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Fuck that Chuck Norris SHIT.

Heres one

39) Imaginary Chuck Norris Facts are about as funny as rape cases where the victim drops the case because she's been threatened by the accuser.
Don't you mean the accused?

Even then, that only makes slightly more sense.
I found them moderately amusing, and I've no idea who Chuck Norris is.
Maybe that has something to do with it. Has he been convicted of rape?

Suttonpubcrawl

Chuck Norris was once accused of rape, but the case was thrown out because all women want to have sex with him. FACT.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't think they're that funny either

Ciarán2

Quote from: "imitationleather"if I was ever about to be executed and I got offered a last request that'd be it in order to delay the inevitable for as long as possible. My maths, however, is completely shit so I didn't even come close to working it out.

Anyone got any ideas then?

Well, it wouldn't matter whether you asked to be allowed to count to a million or to count to 2, because you're not stipulating a time frame for this execution-evading counting project. So it'd make it a lot easier on yourself by counting to 2. You could say "1... I'm going off to have a pint now, I'll let you know when I've reached the next number in sequence."

Jemble Fred

And anyway, what kind of life, would that be, counting continually. You'd die of exhaustion or malnutrition, which would be far more painful and drawn-out than any execution.

The best thing is not to do anything which will risk your facing execution. Keep your head down.

Anyway, RIP Henry McGee, you musical mastermind you. The Honey Monster is an orphan today.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Huzzie"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Fuck that Chuck Norris SHIT.

Heres one

39) Imaginary Chuck Norris Facts are about as funny as rape cases where the victim drops the case because she's been threatened by the accuser.

<shuffles off with head hung low, solitary tear rolling down cheek>

Sorry

I was venting.

The amount of spam, txts from 'friends'. witty banter in pubs and the like thats been based around this Chuck Norris stuff has driven me to the edge.

I shouted at you. Daddy's sorry. He won't do it again. He's been drinking alot due to the pressure from work and mummy doesn't understand him anymore.

Come here and give us a hug.

Don't flinch!

I wasn't going to HIT YOU!!!

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"And anyway, what kind of life, would that be, counting continually. You'd die of exhaustion or malnutrition, which would be far more painful and drawn-out than any execution.

Have you wondered why it is that people wait on "death row", sometimes for 20-30 years? Imagine being sentenced to execution and then spending that period of time in the knowledge that your sytematic extermination can be ordered at any given moment. That is the violence of the death penalty, isn't it? Not the execution itself.

Joy Nktonga

^I spy a new "reality series" in there C. Hmm... Dear Endomol...

Ciarán2

I thought Celeb Big Brother was interesting in this regard, because there was that headline in the tabloids "JODIE ON SUICIDE WATCH" whilst she was still in the house! I remember the good ol' days, when Big Brother watchers were egging on the first on-screen bonk, now it's moved onto the first on-screen death! Two of the biggest preoccupations of Western civilisation right there...

Joy Nktonga

Bogey

Though I could venture that those things are no means confined to the Western world.
But what I'd be doing by doing that would be doing some opening of a worm-can.
So I shan't.

Catalogue Trousers

Chuck Norris also looks like Matthew Corbett with a few more muscles. And Sooty could kick his arse any day. Heck, Sweep could turn Norris into bloody lard with one paw tied behind his back,

Deadman97

Quote from: "Clinton Morgan"Moira Shearer, ballet dancing star of my favourite film 'The Red Shoes' died this week aged eighty. If there is a Heaven she will be dancing with Ludmilla Tcherina for all eternity. Just like the wearer of the original shoes.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Thomas "Pig Champion" Roberts former guitarist of seminal hardcore/punk act Poison Idea died on January 30th. As anyone who knows anything about Poison Idea is that they were all fat fucks.

Deadman97

Quote from: "UPI.com"NEW YORK, Feb. 5 (UPI) -- Actor/comedian/political activist Al Lewis, best known as TV's "Grandpa Munster," has died in New York at age 82.

The former New York gubernatorial candidate died Friday night, the New York Daily News reported Sunday.

The funnyman born Albert Meister took the long route to fame, working as a a salesman, waiter, poolroom owner, store detective, circus clown and vaudeville performer before becoming a household name via the role of Officer Leo Schnauser in the 1960s sitcom, "Car 54 Where Are You?"

His legend was solidified when he became the patriarch of "The Munsters," which ran only from 1964 to 1966, but remains popular in syndicated reruns worldwide.

The holder of a Ph.D. in child psychology from Columbia University, had a popular New York restaurant he called Grandpas' and ran for governor under the Green Party flag in 1998.

Complications of a 2003 angioplasty led to an emergency bypass and the amputation of his right leg below the knee and all the toes on his left foot, the Daily News said. He was comatose for a month.

Among his survivors are his wife, three sons and four grandchildren

Deadman97

Star Wars death ahoy!

Quote from: "AICN"Phil Brown, who played the wonderful character of Uncle Owen, has passed away. He joins Aunt Beru (Shelagh Fraser) who passed away 6 years ago in the here after. His Uncle Owen was an absolute integral part in our understanding of Luke Skywalker. A Tough, yet reasoned man that was afraid of what the boy he raised and loved as a son might find if he ever left "the farm". A universal feeling between so many fathers and sons... but here with a definite reason in place. He was raising Luke with a terrible secret, one that he never had a chance to tell Luke. I love the characters of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... if for no other reason than for exactly how REAL they were. They were not SPACE characters or SCIENCE FICTION characters. As Phil and Shelagh played them... they were an old married couple trying their hardest to hold onto the only child they'd ever raised. That whole opening establishing of Luke's home life textured everything that came after. Made the whole story feel real, no matter how outrageous it got, because ultimately Luke had a home once and good salt of the earth style family. It's what makes everything that's revealed later so hard, so emotional. Cuz if Uncle Owen was so good, how could Anakin be so bad?

Isn't Harry Knowles a cunt?

Deadman97

And next, ladies and gentlemen, we have...

Quote from: "Reuters"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Peter Benchley, author of the best-seller "Jaws" that was the basis for the blockbuster movie that terrified beachgoers and kept many out of the water for years, died at his home at age 65, his family said on Sunday

butnut

Are you an undertaker or something Deadman, or just feel you need to live up to your name? You seem to have a slightly unhealthy obsession with those who have passed away!

Deadman97

It's like I said in the opening post- at the end of every year I always like to think on those who've died. The Chuck Norris idiocy nothwithstanding, I hope this thread might be a place to do that when the year's out.

butnut

Ah fair enough - that's a nice thought (well, not nice, but you know what I mean I hope.)

Deadman97

difbrook

Terribly saddened to log the passing of Andreas Katsulas. Lung Cancer, 59 years old.

Perhaps better known in this particular guise -

G'Kar from Babylon V.

Much beloved amongst sf fandom in general and B5 fandom in particular, but he's had a long and eccentric career as a distinguished character turn, from Harrison Ford's version of "The Fugitive" to "Max Headroom".

His work on B5 was really something - in amongst all the madness, his character traced a path from cliched warmongering bluster to dignified man of peace. And he was never less than superb. I don't know. Him and Richard Biggs gone already out of the topline B5 cast...

rjd2

Poured out some tea when I heard about this chaps death the other day, mainly though because the scoundrel who made the cup committed the immortal sin of putting sugar in the tea, I mean seriously real tea makers have enough self belief and skill to make a lovely gorgeous cup of tea without having to resort to sugar..er R.I.P
producer J-Dilla passed away today (Feb. 10) due to an unspecified ailment. Early reports suggest he succumbed to kidney failure, a medical problem which arose in 2004.

J-Dilla, born James Yancey, was a member of Slum Village and worked with various Hip-Hop artists including Kanye West, Busta Rhymes, A Tribe Called Quest and Common's Grammy-nominated album, BE.

In 2005, rumors spread that the rapper/producer had died suddenly. Those rumors were debunked by J-Dilla's label, Stones Throw, but verified the producer did spend considerable time in the hospital. Stones Throw wasn't at liberty to confirm the death of the rapper, but Slum Village group member T-3 confirmed the unfortunate event on his MySpace web page.

"I'm f**ked up, my n***a just passed away," T3 posted on the website. Friends and fans posted their condolences on T3's site.

One poster said, "Yo 3, hold ya head up man. I know how it is to lose someone you consider blood not just in the game, but also in just life period. I didn't even know DILLA personally, but he influenced me as producer and changed my whole life and aspect as a musician. Duke, keep your head up! His life was a blessing to many including myself. You, Elzhi, and Batin are in my prayers. We love you Dilla"

In a 2004 interview with Urb Magazine, J-Dilla disclosed that he had kidney problems as a result of malnutrition.

"What happened was that the doctor told me that I'd ruptured my kidney from being too busy and being stressed out and not eating right," J-Dilla told Urb. "He told me that if I'd waited another day, I might not have made it.

"Sometimes that fixation can be a good thing and sometimes it can be bad. There'd be days when I wouldn't eat at all because I'd be in the basement working all day," said Jay Dee. "This is definitely my second chance, my wakeup call. I still love the music, but I wouldn't put it first in my life. It's family first - and then everything else."

Representatives for Stones Throw Records confirmed hearing of the death, but could not offer a confirmation.

After being the in-house producer for Slum Village, J-Dilla left the group after their first national album, Fantastic Vol. 2., which was released on the Barak label.

The rapper debuted with his solo offering, Welcome To Detroit on BBE.

After joining Stones Throw in 2003, he formed the critically acclaimed group Jaylib with producer/rapper Madlib and released the album Champion Sound.

The rapper recorded the foundation for the 45-minute instrumental album Donuts while hospitalized and in his home studio. Donuts hit stores on Feb. 7 on Stones Throw.

According to Stones Throw's website, the producer was finishing a tour, which included appearances in Melbourne, Australia tomorrow as well as dates in Montreal, Canada and San Francisco.

Phil_A