Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Challenge: Record something based around these lyrics

Started by gazzyk1ns, January 28, 2006, 02:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

As most of you have probably seen, I recently found some CD-Rs lying about in a field. One was readable, and amongst other things, contained a collection of words and emoticons which are apparently "a song". I know where the owner of the CD lives, because it contains her CV, and so all of her personal details as of June 2005. Her name is Jennifer Finch and she is 18 years old. What I want to do is return her readable CD-R to her by posting it back through her letterbox, in a sealed package, also containing a CD of all the interpretations of the song which get posted here. I think I'll register a completely anonymous gmail account from my own spare invites, and write the address on the CD so she can give feedback, if she chooses to do so. If she emails us with "What the fuck!!!????", then we can collectively decide how to respond.

From reading her CV and As level results, she's intelligent and mature; but I'd still obviously rather not put anything explicit through her door. Do as you will, though! We'll see what the state of play is after everyone who wants to have a go,  has done so.

Here is a link to the start of the relevant thread in GD, and here is the post with the initial discovery of results.

Crucially, here are the lyrics, as they were intended to be seen:

Neil

Fuck me, I'd not seen it with all the emoticons.  I think this will be brill.

John Self

At least one 'Whore should be able to knock up (or mock up) a jolly 60's musical style arrangement (like 'A Spoonful Of Sugar'), with each emoticon being heralded by a corresponding sound-effect. No?

That'd be good.

Man I wish I had the slightest modicum of musical talent. (I wish it often, but it's really burning me right now.)

Ah well, there's my contribution to this project: that nice but (really) incredibly obvious idea.

Nothing else, saves the next poster from saying it eh.

Ha Ha! That's a brilliant idea Gazzy. That's art.

I shall have a think about this tomorrow.

gazzyk1ns

It was actually TR who proposed the idea of sending her CaBers' stuff, as you can read in the thread. It's a brilliant idea, I think even regardless of this we should all burn something to a CD-R and then place it in a remote (but public) location, to be found or lost forever. But that's getting ahead of ourselves, this is going to be fun.

butnut

Yeah I was thinking about a "jolly 60s style" thing for the 'chorus' but then I imagined some of the more rambling stuff being spoken in a Elvis kind of  way, as there doesn't seem to be any real  rhythmical structure to most of those words.

Ambient Sheep

Have you thought what you're going to call the Gmail account yet?

Bogey

Oh this is just brilliant, it's really brightened up my day!
I love a good collective effort. Let's hope it doesn't come to naught.

I also have zero musical capability.

smoker

this is a top idea - i wish i could see the look on her face when she plays the cd.

sam and janet evening

Quote from: "john self"At least one 'Whore should be able to knock up (or mock up) a jolly 60's musical style arrangement (like 'A Spoonful Of Sugar'), with each emoticon being heralded by a corresponding sound-effect. No?

I'll have a crack at that, I'll have to persuade my mate to loan me his 8-track though.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Have you thought what you're going to call the Gmail account yet?

Nope! Suggestions? I was obviously going to avoid anything which might link her to this place, or anyone involved, though.

imitationleather

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Have you thought what you're going to call the Gmail account yet?

thepwningyourCDs4kickscollective@gmail.com?

It makes us sound like we do this sort of thing all the time.

Duffy

What a tremendous idea! Sadly, I'm not musically talented at all, but at first glace the lyrics are slightly reminiscent of Baz Luhrmann's Sunscreen, so maybe somebody could do something based around that.

Other styles that spring to mind are a female rap over a slow drumbeat or a ridiculously upbeat George Formby-style number. But that last one's probably just me.

ffogems

What about her poem? Wouldn't that be a good one to do as well?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I reckon an early 90's Norwegian Black Metal style wouold really suit the song well. Maybe throw in a few white power/nazi references, record it on a dictaphone that's been put in a cat, and we'll be halfway to Burzum!

Tommy Trumpet

Quote from: "ffogems"What about her poem? Wouldn't that be a good one to do as well?

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that poem wasn't written by her either, cos I've received it before as a chain e-mail supposed to raise awareness about child abuse. That's not to say it couldn't be a lovely song.

John Self

I'm glad she (probably) didn't write that herself. Which is kind of dumb, or weird, of me- I mean, I don't know her, that poem was one of the few things I thought I did know about her. Internet eh.

Quote from: "sam and janet evening"
Quote from: "john self"At least one 'Whore should be able to knock up (or mock up) a jolly 60's musical style arrangement (like 'A Spoonful Of Sugar'), with each emoticon being heralded by a corresponding sound-effect. No?

I'll have a crack at that, I'll have to persuade my mate to loan me his 8-track though.

Haha, nice one! As upbeat as fuck and as sugary as you can stand I hope. Can you get your hands on a Julie Andrews soundalike? I'm sure they're rare, I haven't known one since college: if I was still in touch with her I could have had her biked over to yours or something, but sadly no. Oh well, good luck with that anyway.

Quote from: "Duffy"Other styles that spring to mind are a female rap over a slow drumbeat or a ridiculously upbeat George Formby-style number. But that last one's probably just me.

Hehe, not anymore it ain't.

*plays a mean bit of air-banjo-ukelele, grins*

no_offenc

I call it "Cheesy As Fucking Stilton" and it's meant to scare your kids.

http://yerse.co.uk/cheesylovesong.mp3

Fucking hell man, i'd shit myself is someone posted that through my door.

zozman

weekender

That's fucking superb, in a 'disturbing an 18 year old child' way.

gazzyk1ns

Incorrect use of the word "child" there, but I take your general point. Heh, yes, on one hand I'm a bit scared of the police getting called, on another hand I'm convinced that they'll never make any sense of it, so...

That is pretty disturbing though, no_offenc!

weekender

If they use that many bloody smileys in a piece of work they're still a child as far as I'm concerned.

no_offenc

Quote from: "weekender"If they use that many bloody smileys in a piece of work they're still a child as far as I'm concerned.

Never a truer word was spoken :P :) >.< ^o^ XD   ;-P

mrpants

Here's my attempt:  http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1CU14FPDN1BYO37GSYN5HPW1LE

I tried to make it sound upbeat but I think it ended up bland.  Apologies for the rough recording - oh and I was too tired to do the whole song so I just did the first verse.  Maybe when I've thought of a better style to do the song in I'll do the whole thing.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Mrpants if you get someone to do a shitty flash animation I reckon you could be the next Nizlopi!

Oh and the other track would probably make me contact the police.

gazzyk1ns

That's really good mrpants, exactly the sort of thing I had in mind! Good to see the efforts rolling in.

butnut

Okay, here's a sort-of Leonard Cohen style version. If only I'd smoked 20 a day for the last ten years then I might have been able to sing as low as him.

I've cut the text down quite a lot and only selected a few lines that I could fit to my tune.

Love Starts With A Smile (MP3 2MB)

ffogems