Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:50:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anything goes thread #9 (except piss, shit and death)

Started by splattermac, January 30, 2006, 04:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@ssmaster

zozman

As I said, I'm teaching myself Photoshop so you might get a few of these.

I've just realised that King Kong Phooey would have been better - ah well.  

Edit - here's another one.  See if you've been paying attention to the pet pictures tread.

There's a whole (very repetitive series) there.  I like this monging lark.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "slim"(picture)
Apparently not as close together as they look.

So what's the explanation for this whole thing. Is it a trick of perspective? Is it something to do with the fact that they're far away meaning that, combined with the size difference between the two planes, they can be quite a long distance apart while still looking close together? If we say one's a 737 and the other's a 777 (I don't know, just guessing) meaning one's about half the size of the other, would that mean the bigger one would have to be twice as far away to look like it was the same size? I don't know anything about this really.

slim

I don't believe them. The official explanation was that there was no near miss and that photographs can be deceptive. I think they were close together, I can't see any way for them to appear that close and be very far apart.

I suppose you could simulate the shot using the right plane sizes at exactly the right distance between you and the shot, the big plane and the little plane, or something. I still don't believe it though!

There was no further explanation on the BBC News story, which is what makes me suspicious. Just, "Oh, photo's can look like that sometimes!" type stuff.

Frinky

Photos like that can though. I've seen some aviation shots - even takeoffs from runways - that look completely wrong and physically impossible.

I can't give you an explination for that one, but it is possible.

Frinky

slim

Seeing as you are a little ugly, I will believe you a little bit. I think they're closer than you think, but not as close as the photograph looks.

Quote from: "[url=http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660644.stmBritish Air Line Pilots Association chairman Captain Mervyn Granshaw, via BBC News[/url],"]He explained how visual factors conspire to make the planes could look closer together, but safety measures meant they could not be in such proximity.

While the lower plane was a A300, a smaller freight plane, the one behind was a Boeing 777 - a larger, passenger plane.

The difference in size, angle of the photograph and the distance it was taken from - the ground to two planes at high altitude - would exaggerate the effect, he said.

Radar and modern electric or pressure altimeters to measure planes' position; warning systems for pilots and air traffic controllers; and other modern safety measures, meant planes were kept at a separation of 1,000ft, he said.

If they come closer, warning systems alert pilot and controllers, and reports are filled out.
I believe him a bit too. I bet he's got a 'tache. I don't reckon it's 2½ miles though.

Littlejohn

^ if somebody goes to the trouble of making a banana look like a dog, you would expect them to remove the fuzz around the edges.

Flook

Absolutely genuine screengrab from microsoft.com this morning:
( http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx )

Get rid of malicious software ?
Yep, the guy in the picture is using a Mac

Regular John

Microsoft make software for the Mac aswell (teehee)

terminallyrelaxed

Yeah, just not very good software.

Thats happens all the time though, check out the laptop in the AMD Athlon posters. They look pretty, and ad execs by necessity are half-arsed and ignorant, otherwise they'd have real jobs.

Bogey

Quote from: "The Unicorn"(picture)

It's Punxsutawney Phil!
Even the fellow in the hat looks the same, that's ace!

Useless fact: I once visited Woodstock, IL, the place where Groundhog  Day was actually filmed. I went there on my own. It was just about worthwhile.

fanny splendid

Suttonpubcrawl

Don't bother with all that bollocks. I got a call from a telemarketer today and when she asked me if I wanted a phone I said "Yes, I do, but I'm afraid I can't talk to you right now. I've got to go and smoke a rock of crack."

@ssmaster

Just tell them that you would like to hear what they have to say but you must inform them that you suffer from tourettes and may shout profanities during the sales pitch.

Then shout profanities at them as they try a sell you a kitchen, for a good range of swears I recommend Roger Mellie's Profanisaurus.

All Surrogate

Littlejohn

Just random stuff, I would appreciate someone telling me if i'm being shit.

Edit: Wanking, Chocolate and chin flab. I am being shit.

Littlejohn

Mister Cairo

Do you make these yourself? They're bloody good!

(a cookie to the first person to recognise and post the influencing pic)

splattermac

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"Do you make these yourself? They're bloody good!

They are good and still quite small due to high compression? Go on, treat yourself to a larger file size so we (I Squinty McSquint) can make out your words better.

Nice out of context Wim Delvoye pig http://tinyurl.com/c5xtp - If you are a UKnova member you can grab the 'Art Safari' show about the crazy Belgian.