Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Advice for a photo novice

Started by Jaffit, January 31, 2006, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaffit

I have recently purchased a digital camera and can do the basics with it but am baffled, by shutters, iso speeds and the like. Anyone care to elaborate on what they mean in real english?

Any tips no matter how small would be greatly appreaciated.

For example; When i take a picture outside at night, i always get blurred images and the camera shake warning on my ixus 50. Pissing me right off it is.

Borboski

YES!

Someone help him!

This thing about pics at night, and blur without flash, is confusin' me too...

sproggy

terminallyrelaxed

Try the flash?

Ok. For night shots, regardless of the subject, you'll need to steady the camera. A tripod isnt necessary if you can hold the camera firmly against something flat, or just rest it on something. Professional photographers often carry a little beanbag for just this purpose, to settle the camera to prevent it from wobbling.

I don't know about Ixus 50s but the best thig is to try that with just the flash turned off first, and see what happens, leaving everything else on auto.

ISO speeds relate to the various speeds of film. Increasing the ISO number increases the sensor's sensitivity to light, and therefore the speed at which the shot can be taken.

Try then manually setting the shutter speed to a longer setting. The speeds relate to fractions of a second.

chumfatty

Night shots, you're gonna need something to steady the camera, if you have a decent flash and its indoors use Apeture F8 and shutter speed 1/125.

If its pitch black night time photography, it gets far more complex, Inverse Square Laws and receprocity failure, all too much for reply on a forum, and fucking confusing.  If you camera as an auto setting use this for outside.

Basically the Aperture is the size of the hole that lets you control the amount of light passing into your camera, and also affects you depth of field (whats in focus etc over a diistance) So F2.6 = large hole subject in focus - background blurred, F22 - small hole subject/background in sharp focus

Your shutter speed is the time allowed for light to come in, measured in fractions of a second, the quicker ie 1/500th is good for light scenes, a summers day etc and 1/60th for a duller/darker day. Usually below 1/60th you'll experience camera shake and will need to use a tripod.

If it's a Digital SLR camera you will need to balance your shutter speeds and apertures to get the right exposure. You should have some sort of exposure meter which will tell you if you are over or under exposed. If ita not an SLR then ignore me. (if it is i hate you cos i want one!)

Almost Yearly

As well as the beanbag thing for shots requiring a slow shutter, if the camera has a timer, use it. Even though you don't intend running round the front and posing like a twat in the photo, this way none of the camera movement associated with physically pressing the button occurs while the shutter's open.

Obviously this is useless if you want to catch a moving object or whatever, or if the camera's shutter mechanism is so unbalanced and clunky it shakes the whole camera anyway.