Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"I'm Thinkin' 'Bout The B-Side, When You Gonna Play It?"

Started by TJ, February 06, 2006, 03:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Can anyone suggest any examples of White Stripes b-sides that are worthy of special attention? I need to know for scientific reasons. Thanks...!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Are you a White Stripes fan then TJ? Are we talking non album b sides, presumably? Most of the most recent singles have had live tracks as b sides I think but there are a few non live ones as well. Avalanche always seem to have quite a few Stripes singles for a couple of quid although I'm sure you know that. I've only got the albums and a few other bits and bobs but I'd be very interested in what the non album bsides are like, and how many there are etc.

Custard

There's a few compilations on Oink, at least there was when i last looked.

Funnily enough, i downloaded them yesterday but i'm yet to give them a proper spin, though what i've heard so far seems pretty class.

If there's any particular tracks anyone wants then i'd be happy to up them somewhere.

TJ

I'm keen to know for something I've been asked to write on b-sides; I feel The White Stripes really ought to be mentioned as they're pretty much the most significant act to have kept vinyl singles alive in recent years, but as I don't own any of the singles (let alone on vinyl) I have no idea where to start and don't want to just bluff a mention of them...

sam and janet evening

My favourites are mostly covers, seems a nice way of paying back their influences.

Hello Operator had their original cover of 'Jolene' as a B-side, which is pretty amazing.

Hotel Yorba had Loretta Lynn's Rated X , which is great but not as good as the live versions where Meg takes a verse.

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground had a Radio one session of 'Stop Breaking Down' by Robert Johnson, they'd previously covered that on the first album.

Fell in Love with a girl had a great version of Dylan's 'Love Sick' and the Radio One session of 'I just don't know what to do with myself' which they evidentally liked enough to include on 'Elephant' and later release as a single in it's own right.

The second 7" version of '7 Nation Army' had a great cover of Brendon Benson's 'Good to Me'

Hardest Button to Button had a nice original called 'Ides of March'

and the live 7" of 'Jolene' had a storming live version of their own 'Do' as the B-side, although both were available on the DVD 'Under Blackpool Lights'.

So, yea - most of the b-sides are covers in fact, often of their friends' bands too. There's plenty of others but those above are the ones I've heard/liked best.

hope it helps.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "sam and janet evening"The second 7" version of '7 Nation Army' had a great cover of Brendon Benson's 'Good to Me'
That is such an astonishingly good cover. Better than the original.

Custard

Talking of White and Benson, here's the forthcoming single & b-side from their group, The Raconteurs:

A- Steady, As She Goes
B- Store Bought Bones

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6EP3SPFI

Hope that's not against the rules. If it is, delete away & sorry.

EDIT - Oh yeah, both tunes are pretty ace, and well worth a listen!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Oh, nice one Shameless cheers for that. I think the rule is you aren't allowed to post more than three tracks so that should be fine.

Abbie

I've got Store Bought Bones on repeat now - just fab. I hear these guys are touring soon, annoyingly when i'm in the states (last time I went the breeders were playing London).

sam and janet evening

I got tickets to see them next month. I am a very happy bunny as a result.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Oooh, nice one S+J. I really want to see them, they're playing in Glasgow as well. Think I'll just wait for the next Stripes tour though instead, I just need to see The White Stripes live, them and the Beatles are just the two bands I love the most and somehow I don't think I'll ever get to see the latter.

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Oooh, nice one S+J. I really want to see them, they're playing in Glasgow as well. Think I'll just wait for the next Stripes tour though instead, I just need to see The White Stripes live, them and the Beatles are just the two bands I love the most and somehow I don't think I'll ever get to see the latter.

From the stuff I've heard, the Raconteurs are equally good, if not better than the White Stripes.  There's been such a buzz about this since the first Benson / White demos were kicking around.  Really like Benson's solo stuff, the last album was good imho.

Already trying to tab Steady, As She Goes!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "afrayn"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Oooh, nice one S+J. I really want to see them, they're playing in Glasgow as well. Think I'll just wait for the next Stripes tour though instead, I just need to see The White Stripes live, them and the Beatles are just the two bands I love the most and somehow I don't think I'll ever get to see the latter.

From the stuff I've heard, the Raconteurs are equally good, if not better than the White Stripes.  There's been such a buzz about this since the first Benson / White demos were kicking around.  Really like Benson's solo stuff, the last album was good imho.

Already trying to tab Steady, As She Goes!
Ooh, I might have a crack at that too. Get to that Guitar Songs You Enjoy Playing thread.

sam and janet evening

So I went and saw the Raconteurs yeaterday. I almost started a new thread but that seemed a little indulgent...
Anyway, they were good. Very good.
Started shaky, the first few songs seemed to be just riffs without any real substance. Whether not knowing any of the songs in advance was a hindrance here I'm not sure, there are a few White Stripes songs that I'd probably have dismissed on first hearing live, but certainly my heart was sinking a little. All eyes on Jack (all dressed in black, looked like he ought to have been moping round the entrance to the club next door) though, He took his coat off, we cheered, he played a solo, we whooped, he pushed his hair out of his eyes, we swooned. Brendon Benson may well have set himself ablaze at some point, Nobody would have noticed. Actually, I didn't have much option since a very tall gentleman stood blocking my view of the left-hand side of the stage. Still Jack really is a great frontman, I suppose if you were in a two-piece band and were the only one standing up you'd have to get pretty good at that though.
Then they played 'Steady as She Goes', I hadn't heard this before but it did stand out as a really, really great song. The vaguely dissappointing feeling that had been welling up inside me vanished, people (old enough to know better by the looks of them) started crowdsurfing, the fucking idiot couple next to us shut up for two minutes.
-As an aside, I don't seem to go to many 'Rock' gigs these days (unless they're in vast arenas where enthusiasm has to be controlled, otherwise it's just folk and country in glorified living rooms for me), but I was under the impression that crowdsurfing had sort of died out. Am I hopelessly out of touch? It still seems an utterly bewildering idea, why would you do that? What does it acheive?
Errr...OK, So the 'hit' out the way, things picked up. The songs seemed hookier, choruses distinct from verses, better harmonies, a storming cover of 'A House is not a Motel' with Jack on vocals. And on it went, I'd love to give details on the songs but since I don't know what they were called I can't. There was a nice quieter one, and a good rocking one (Charles Shaar Murray's gonna shit himself when he sees the competition here innee?).
The encore brought a good cover of Bowie's It aint Easy' with Benson on Vocals (sort of would have suited Jack better I reckon but hey...) and a fantastic song that might have been a cover but I don't think so, possibly called 'Blue Veins'.

I'll round this up 'cos me tea's ready, might add to it later. Anyway they were very good.
Not as good as the White Stripes though.