Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:38:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pet Shop Boys - It Couldn't Happen Here

Started by 23 Daves, February 08, 2006, 09:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

I forgot about last night's PSB doc on Channel 4, but started taping 20 minutes in. Well, I know all about the early years anyway.

Rather looking forward to the Radio 2 thing this weekend.

Really enjoyed the Channel 4 program, but they seemed to have jumped from 1991 to 1999 and missed out muchy of the Very/Bilingual era.
Also, does anyone else think that Chris Lowe looks a bit poorly? His face looks sunken in. Or maybe the ageing process...

Ciarán2

I was little bit disappointed with the documentary last night. I only tuned in half-way through, mind. Although they generally interviewed interesting people, and dumb-ass soundbites seemed to be kept to a minimum, I was surprised they just skimmed over "Very" and "Bilingual" and "Release"! I suppose there are time constraints and everything, but still. Ho-hum.

danielreal2k

Quote from: "Ciarán"I was surprised they just skimmed over "Very" and "Bilingual" and "Release"! I suppose there are time constraints and everything, but still. Ho-hum.

Full version is coming out on DVD, with all that above and more.

I met Chris in Barcelona in 2000, he looked a lot shorter and older in person, dont think he's ill just getting on to nearly 50 in age.  it's because of the illusion of wearing those glasses and trendy clothes we have this enternal image of him being 25.

Ciarán2

Great, I'll look forward to that then. I'm enjoying "Fundamental", but must admit, I've been skipping over "Numb" and "God Willing"....

benthalo

QuoteFull version is coming out on DVD, with all that above and more.

Thank God for that. I watched the doc last night and, aside from the first twenty minutes which were very refreshing and interesting, it soon sank into a list of obvious anecdotes in chronological order. That accepted, it was perfectly likeable but it annoys me that Channel 4 only occasionally manages to produce music documentaries to this level. Morrissey and Rufus Wainwright are the only other obvious examples from recent years, that I've seen at least... All credit to Isis anyway.

QuoteI met Chris in Barcelona in 2000, he looked a lot shorter and older in person, dont think he's ill just getting on to nearly 50 in age.  it's because of the illusion of wearing those glasses and trendy clothes we have this enternal image of him being 25.

I was putting it down to pills to be honest, having seen a great many photos in Literally of him seeming in rather good cheer. He looks far craggier than when I bothered him at the Valentine's Day aftershow over the road from the Astoria in 2003. Mind you, he had every right to be craggy on that occasion. B'dum.

Panbaams

Quote from: "benthalo"Thank God for that. I watched the doc last night and, aside from the first twenty minutes which were very refreshing and interesting, it soon sank into a list of obvious anecdotes in chronological order. That accepted, it was perfectly likeable but it annoys me that Channel 4 only occasionally manages to produce music documentaries to this level. Morrissey and Rufus Wainwright are the only other obvious examples from recent years, that I've seen at least... All credit to Isis anyway.

Yes, hearing the demo of "Man on the television" was interesting – as was Chris's Wurlitzer rendition of "It's a sin"! Nice to hear them talking about growing up and visiting old haunts. Not a bad doc, but the way they skated over Very and Bilingual was strange, roughly going something like "Behaviour didn't sell well and Nirvana stopped the Pet Shop Boys getting on the  radio in America – but eight years later they made a single with 'New York City' in the title, which gay New Yorkers could dance to in clubs." Odd too that to demonstrate how theatrical the Pet Shop Boys' performances are, they should show clips of the 1989 tour (great to see "Heart" and "Nothing has been proved", though –hopefully a full release will happen one day) and ignore Performance.

I'm really enjoying listening to Fundamental and Fundamentalism at the moment.

benthalo

I had a skim of the official site, but the info on Fundamentalism was a bit sketchy. I understand that the double CD is out next week, which is fine if a bit counterproductive, but why does it appear that only the first of two 12" editions of the remix CD are in the shops? I saw Part 1 in Virgin at lunchtime and, er, that's it.

benthalo

This doesn't seem to have been mentioned either:

http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/2223/Pet_Shop_Boys_Somewhere_Live_At_The_Savoy/Product.html

A straight-ish reissue of their first DVD, but now with a different cover. Ah well. The Annie Griffin documentary is really good, back when her work didn't annoy me (see also her excellent MTV Europe film for BBC2).

The Mumbler

Quote from: "benthalo"I had a skim of the official site, but the info on Fundamentalism was a bit sketchy. I understand that the double CD is out next week, which is fine if a bit counterproductive, but why does it appear that only the first of two 12" editions of the remix CD are in the shops? I saw Part 1 in Virgin at lunchtime and, er, that's it.

My copy of the double CD arrived yesterday.  I ordered from play.

The Mumbler

Anyone else listening to the Sold On Song concert?  Absolutely thrilling version of Left To My Own Devices to kick things off - and the extended Introspective version to boot.  Just occasionally, I get a jolt of really wanting to play in an orchestra again (as I did when a teenager) - and this eight minutes or so reminded me.   Actually, it's all pretty good - and I have to say, Robbie Williams does a wonderful job with Jealousy.  

Quite nice 20-minute Maconie interview at the beginning too.

benthalo

Lovely show. Just coming on here to see the "wealth" of reactions to Devices, which was as stunning as you say. Horn having enormous fun with it.

The Mumbler

Can't they release a DVD of this?!  It must have looked spectacular too.  Certainly there's a longer edit, although whether Radio 2 will put it on the site, not sure.

It's Alright has to be one of their most underrated singles, and always a delight to hear.  (I've heard a lot of people dismiss the single version as a 'Stock Aitken Waterman soundalike'.)

danielreal2k

Very good sound live!, almost like they were playing a CD with an orchestra over the top of it (It's Alright sounded immaculately like the CD version)

Enjoyed Rufus Wainwrights singing too.

Ciarán2

Amazing performance on Sold On Song, Rufus Wainwright and Robbie Williams were terrific. Just....wow! I'm off to buy a copy of "PopArt" for my ma now...

ninestonecreature

Just listening to the concert now- that version of 'Rent' is beautiful!

swarfmonkey

Quote from: "ninestonecreature"Just listening to the concert now- that version of 'Rent' is beautiful!
Here, here.
It was never a favourite of mine but this version is just about perfect. Loved the version of West End Girls too.

Jemble Fred

If RW did fuck up Jealousy, they certainly sorted it out pretty well in the edit.

A great concert anyway – all it was missing was the Overture to Performance, which is probably one of my favourite orchestral works of all time.

Panbaams

Quote from: "benthalo"I had a skim of the official site, but the info on Fundamentalism was a bit sketchy. I understand that the double CD is out next week, which is fine if a bit counterproductive, but why does it appear that only the first of two 12" editions of the remix CD are in the shops? I saw Part 1 in Virgin at lunchtime and, er, that's it.

I think Part 2 is due out in June/July sometime – there's a new mix of "Minimal" on it so it may be out around the time that that's out as a single. Someone was selling it on ebay and mentioned that it'd have a later release date, only I can't find the item now.

No mention of Catalogue on the official website either ...

mothman

Was that Chris on the trombone during "Rent?" Might have been a trumpet however, I couldn't tell.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: "ninestonecreature"Just listening to the concert now- that version of 'Rent' is beautiful!
Hell yes.  Have you heard Liza Minnelli doing this version on their "Results" album?  Stunning.  She does a similarly beautiful orchestral version of "Tonight is Forever" on there too.

The concert is being streamed on the BBC Radio 2 website... please delete if this is totally out of order, but does anyone know if it's possible to download this?  My mum missed the concert and doesn't have a computer... of course it would be nice to keep as well!

Quote from: "benthalo"This doesn't seem to have been mentioned either:

http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/2223/Pet_Shop_Boys_Somewhere_Live_At_The_Savoy/Product.html

A straight-ish reissue of their first DVD, but now with a different cover. Ah well. The Annie Griffin documentary is really good, back when her work didn't annoy me (see also her excellent MTV Europe film for BBC2).

I think this doc annoyed the boys from the obvious way it was edited and they way it went out of its way to reinforce the PSB stereotypes.

Not a bad show. Liked the concept, even if Sam-Taylor wood could have used more realistic looking people on the screens.

Really enjoying the album. Would love to see Fugitive as a single.

Panbaams

Quote from: "Steve Thompson Dance Mix"I think [the Somewhere] doc annoyed the boys from the obvious way it was edited and they way it went out of its way to reinforce the PSB stereotypes.

They certainly not keen on it on the PopArt DVD commentary ...

Quote from: "Steve Thompson Dance Mix"Really enjoying the album. Would love to see Fugitive as a single.

Ditto and agree completely! Shame it couldn't have been put on Fundamental.

Panbaams

Stop press! Someone from a PSB board sent a few questions to Neil and he answered them on the official site:

Quote*Discovery Tour on DVD?

It is planned to release "Discovery", "It couldn't happen here" and the complete 1989 tour film (directed by Derek Jarman) on DVD in the next few years. But please be patient...

Nothing definite yet, but quite encouraging! Presumably they'll want Battleship Potemkin to come out at some point, and Catalogue is out later this year too, so it may be a while before these DVDs are released.

Neil also said that "Fugitive" definitely won't be a single (boo!) and hinted that the Radio 2 concert could come out on as an album (hurrah!).

benthalo

QuoteI think this doc annoyed the boys from the obvious way it was edited and they way it went out of its way to reinforce the PSB stereotypes.

They must have known what they were getting, though. Griffin's work up to that point was pretty... blunt. In any case, I can't really understand the hostility towards the finished product. They both come across as committed and complex individuals.

Discovery really is dreadful. Even in my severe fanboy phase, I struggled to get through it. There's an awful whiff of 'will this do?' throughout. Shove some half naked dancers on stage and no one will notice.

It Couldn't Happen Here is the only reissue I'm particularly concerned about.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "benthalo"
It Couldn't Happen Here is the only reissue I'm particularly concerned about.

Change 'concerned about' to 'giddy with excitement about', and I concur. Especially if they have a commentary. And Gareth Hunt is involved.

Angst in my Pants

Surely it'll be drastically edited though, plonk the 4 unbroadcast songs back into the concert and it's just over 90 minutes. Or could a double-disc orgasma-edition be in the offing?

Am I allowed to do this here?
If I am, then part two will follow shortly.  Apologies for the poor quality, it's my first bash at this sort of thing.

EDIT: Number Two[/quote]

EDIT again: Due to not understanding how to work messageboards.  I'm an idiot.

Panbaams

Quote from: "Angst in my Pants"
Quote from: "Panbaams"Neil also...hinted that the Radio 2 concert could come out on as an album (hurrah!).
Surely it'll be drastically edited though, plonk the 4 unbroadcast songs back into the concert and it's just over 90 minutes.  Or could a double-disc orgasma-edition be in the offing?

No idea, squire – I was only reading it off the website!

It's possible that "Numb" will be the third single and its lack of remixability may mean that the live version of "Numb" and a couple of other live songs will go out as b-sides on a live CD single – much like the ones they did for "You only tell me you love me when you're drunk" and "I get along". But that's pure guesswork, I'm afraid.

Ciarán2

You can watch the video for new single "Minimal" below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seKED39QqTU&search=pet%20shop%20boys

And here are some outtakes from a German TV interview they did around 2002...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouaO2o1d7Zk&search=pet%20shop%20boys

benthalo

Surely someone else saw the end of the quarter final coverage on Saturday afternoon, in which BBC1 used Numb for the closing montage? Such a gay choice. Lovely!