Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:47:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pet Shop Boys - It Couldn't Happen Here

Started by 23 Daves, February 08, 2006, 09:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I did. I was surprised. It's still one of the weaker songs on the album, and I've always felt uncomfortable with sporting montages trying to signpost your feelings, but it made a chance from Sigur Ros or Oasis.

I think the third single will be a slight remix of Integral. Maybe it will be a double a-side with Numb but Integral is really single fodder I would have thought.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: "A while ago, I "Am I allowed to do this here?
If I am, then part two will follow shortly.  Apologies for the poor quality, it's my first bash at this sort of thing.

EDIT: Number Two
4 downloads?  Is that because of shit quality, lack of interest or me not being explicit in my linkage for fear of being told off?  In case it's the latter:

PSB - Sold on Song - Part 1
PSB - Sold on Song - Part 2

Panbaams

Quote from: "Angst in my Pants"
Quote from: "A while ago, I "Am I allowed to do this here?
If I am, then part two will follow shortly.  Apologies for the poor quality, it's my first bash at this sort of thing.

EDIT: Number Two
4 downloads?  Is that because of shit quality, lack of interest or me not being explicit in my linkage for fear of being told off?  In case it's the latter:

PSB - Sold on Song - Part 1
PSB - Sold on Song - Part 2

The Radio 2 concert may be coming out as a live album.

benthalo

And I recorded it myself on the night it went out, but I'm sure it's appreciated by those who didn't.

Angst in my Pants

Fair enough - apologies for sounding so wanky, I shoudn't post from work!  I was more concerned that people may have wanted it but that I hadn't been obvious in what I was linking to.

I appreciate the link but I heard it and I'm waiting for the live album but it's appreciated :)

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Panbaams"The Radio 2 concert may be coming out as a live album.

Indeed! "Concert" (presumably the Sold On Song performance) is pencilled in for release on October 23, according to the official site. The DVD of the documentary will come out the same day.

Jemble Fred

Huge apologies for my cheekiness... but if anyone can possibly upload 'The Overture to Performance' anywhere and PM me a link, it would be such a boon. It's for a live show, and I can't think of better intro music. But I only have it on a knackered cassette.

Sorry if this is too cheeky.

EDIT: Huge pendulous thanks to Mr AngstInMyPants for providing the necessary!

Panbaams

Someone's set "Integral" to clips from the Cybermen episodes from the last series of Doctor Who. It works really well:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8SujDk6kqjk

I remember thinking at the time that Integral would fit with those episodes.

Now...if only damn You Tube would EVER open for me, instead of hanging every fucking time.

Panbaams

Quote from: "Ciarán"
Quote from: "Panbaams"The Radio 2 concert may be coming out as a live album.

Indeed! "Concert" (presumably the Sold On Song performance) is pencilled in for release on October 23, according to the official site. The DVD of the documentary will come out the same day.

Or Concrete, as it's now being called.

The video for "Numb" looks rather good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj7dEkMoPws

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Bamber Hopcraft"Here's a recent rare picture of Chris sans hat and sunglasses.

And sans dentures too by the looks of it!

benthalo

He looks like "Mad" Frankie Fraser. Most distressing.

There are more flattering picutres I can't be bothered to link them. He's not the smooth faced lad of the first ten years of the PSBs any more. But he is 47. He put loads of weight on a few years back and now seems to be skinny.
Neil's looking in rather fine fettle these days.

The Mumbler

Neil Tennant's on Desert Island Discs this Sunday (4th Feb) at 11.15am on Radio 4. As is customary when making announcements of this sort, don't forget that DID is NOT on Listen Again, so make sure you listen (and record) live.

benthalo

Very annoyed to have missed his recent Q&A at the National Portrait Gallery.

Proper UK live dates later in the year, or so I gather.  About fucking time.

The Mumbler

It's only just struck me that Shannon's Give Me Tonight has the exact same chords as Rent.

I could listen to Tennant talk for hours.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

That Shannon track was noticeably PSB-esque yes.

I still think Kirsty Young has that habit of asking questions with the answer already contained within it, though.

Jemble Fred

My brother's crying right now, due to being the biggest PSB obsessive in the world, but he was at a family theme pub clearing up his child's sick while DID was on yesterday â€" does anyone know if it was captured anywhere?

goldfish

It's repeated on Friday at 9am, if that's any use.

Panbaams

Bump. Back on topic, someone's put the whole of It Couldn't Happen Here on Google Video:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7817416473471927672&q=it+couldn%27t+happen+here

Fans of late '80s arty pop films with Japanese subtitles will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

Ray Le Otter

About time this thread was bumped.

Saw PSB at Manchester Apollo last night on their ongoing never ending "Fundamental" tour. The show set-list wise is much the same as 2006's dates, though the staging has changed from the movable cubes seen on that tour and the "Cubism" DVD, to a movable neon tube backdrop with projections. Still bloody impressive though, though not up to Kraftwerk standards.

Highlights for me were the opening "We're the Pet Shop Boys" & "Left To My Own Devices", the impressive "Minimal" (criminally not a huge hit), Chris doing "Paninaro", the highly moving (and strangely topical this week) "Dreaming Of THe Queen" & a brilliant version of "Heart" ("Actually" version).

Funniest unintentional moment was the opening orchestral stab of "Can You Forgive Her?" which was far too loud and almost deafening - it sounded as if there was an explosion! - causing embarrassment and smiles all round from Messrs Tennant & Lowe.

Anyone else been to any of the dates on the tour?     

Jemble Fred

Every time this thread's bumped I think 'at last, a DVD release!'

Bah, basically. I want to hear Neil and Chris gigglingly fail to explain anything on the commentary.

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 30, 2007, 08:55:07 AM
Every time this thread's bumped I think 'at last, a DVD release!'

Bah, basically. I want to hear Neil and Chris gigglingly fail to explain anything on the commentary.

Typically, Neil, Chris and the director do a commentary on the "Cubism" DVD which has very long silences, and the director disappears after about 15 minutes. All very odd.

Panbaams

They did another concert for Radio 2 last night, to be broadcast on Saturday night.

benthalo

It were effin' marvellous too. Neil in fine spirits.

Jemble Fred

I'd heard people complaining about the over-use of the female singer though, and I can see what they mean from that show. Far too much bombastic warbling from her.

I wish they'd gone back to the end of 'Se A Vida E' too, instead of just switching songs, that could have been magical.

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 10, 2007, 02:25:05 PM
I'd heard people complaining about the over-use of the female singer though, and I can see what they mean from that show. Far too much bombastic warbling from her.

Yup. Sylvia Mason-James is becoming a pain in the arse to listen to live. On record, great - it's restrained and fits the song. In concert, she's consistently overdoing it these days. I could just about cope on the "Performance" and "Nightlife" tours, but on the current tour she gives these overwrought vocals on most songs - think her "Go West" vocal but worse - all the bleeding time.

Give it a rest love. 

The Gush

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyBJVXos9mg[/youtube]

I think this is a most un-Pet Shop Boys performance from 1984.  Neil's all over the place trying to get down.  He hadn't quite perfected his Drimble Wedge stage persona.