Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BT Yahoo! Anytime

Started by The Plaque Goblin, February 03, 2004, 06:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Plaque Goblin

I've had BT SurfTime for a few years now but I'm thinking about switching just to get the extra 30 hours a month. (I ran out of time a few days ago and I'm paying-per-minute right now.)

Are there any better alternatives to BT Yahoo! Anytime for a bog standard telephone line?

gazzyk1ns

You not thought about getting ADSL (or cable)? It you 'shop around' a bit then it's really only marginally more expensive than an 'Anytime' dialup package, and it's 10x faster, always on, you can use the phone at the same time, etc etc...

Common knowledge I know but unless you really can't get it or really can't afford it then I'd think it's a bit silly to sign up for a new dialup package these days.

The Plaque Goblin

Being out in the country I'm pretty sure broadband is out of the question at the moment.

As this is the case why would it still be silly to sign up for a new dialup package? I'm just after the extra hours.

I am wondering because the Anytime service seems to be now owned by Yahoo and not BT.

gazzyk1ns

It's a partnership, it's still a BT "service" but with some added wanky content from Yahoo. You can only find out if you could get broadband, it doesn't cost anything to "apply"... you can get a very rough guide of whether you can get it or not with an online ckecker like this. Maybe you're right, it depends on whether your exchange has been DSL-enabled and then the physical length and quality of your phone line.

If not then ISDN is still an option, it's got a much longer reach than ADSL but I'm really not sure if it's value for money yet, it's certainly not such a rip-off as it used to be though.

If dialup really is your only option then it's just a case of shopping around, and never mind so much about the actual cost alone, but consider if it's worth it to you, you know...

The Plaque Goblin

Anytime is part of a different division or something which is why I couldn't switch when I phoned them up on their 150 number yesterday. I can only do it online.

As for Broadband, not a chance of that being available in our little village. Should consider ourselves to have electricty, I suppose.

The Plaque Goblin

I posed my question on another forum and a couple of people said they used and didn't really have a problem with AOL.

What do you make of that?

gazzyk1ns

I don't think I've ever heard a "good" report about AOL from anyone who knows much about PCs to be honest, I think the phrase "didn't really have a problem" which those people use might sum it up a bit too accurately... having said that BT Openworld/Yahoo don't exactly have a brilliant reputation and I'm more than happy with them at the moment and have been for some time. An ex used to be with AOL, do they still push their own shite browser on you?

I get the feeling I'm talking about things you're not interested in looking into so apologies... but I really would look at how much 64K ISDN costs. I assume you regularly connect at something like 41000bps on your dialup? That would mean ISDN shouldn't be a problem at all. As far as I know it's not going to cost THAT much more than an 'anytime' 56k package and it'll be very nearly twice as fast and much more reliable. If the initial cost of having ISDN activated on your line starts to put you off then just think that the only other option is remaining on dialup for certainly ~1 year from now and probably significantly longer.

All that was said because I got the impression you were unhappy on dialup, if you're not then obviously ignore me. Again, if you're just not interested in anything other than dialup then sorry...