Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:11:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Radiohead - Where the hell have I been?

Started by TOCMFIC, March 09, 2004, 11:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOCMFIC

Shuffling through the halls of illicit downloads (remember, I'm in Canada, where the government ruled downloading legal. I love this country...) I happened across a Radiohead bootleg. A compilation done by a fan to create the ultimate live show, taking performances from soundboard recordings and mixing them together... I listened to a bit, and it was good...

I then heard about another series of bootlegs called "Towering Above the Rest". Something like 11 CD's. So I tracked them down, and downloaded what I could.

All I have to say is HOLY SHIT! WHERE THE FUCK HAVE I BEEN!? I mean I have a few bits of Radiohead stuff, but never really clicked with it. It's taken bootlegs to get me to appreciate the band. Some of the live stuff is awesome.

Anyway, just wanted to share my sudden "discovery" of the band...

El Unicornio, mang

I usually hate live music, but RAdiohead seem to present a good, clear sound live. Saw them back in '96 at T in the Park and they were ace.
'Man O War', also known as 'Big Boots' is one of their few songs that has only ever been recorded live (although there's a few dodgy demo bootlegs knocking about) and is worth checking out.
Their fantastic Glasto performance from a couple of years back is out on dvd, or suprnova.org, and to go further back, they did a great set at Reading '94 (or it might be '95), Thom in army t-shirt and blonde haystack hair which was broadcast on The Beat but is sadly not commercially available. Includes a very nice tribute to Jeff Buckley.

Also, worth checking out their 'On a Friday' stuff (their original name), loads of demo material, some crap, some good.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

What sort of songs did you like by them TOCMFIC? Was it the earlier guitar-driven stuff, the more electronic stuff, or the mix of both?

The Plaque Goblin

I used to consider Radiohead to be one of the few bands that I would grow old with, but I'm now finding Thommy's voice to be increasingly irritating.

Bilko

I've got some of the Towering above the rest as well. There's some good stuff on there. Loads of differnt mixes included a US version of Stop Whispering which has violins on it.

As for On a Friday, What Is That You Say? is a great song you need to get.

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Their fantastic Glasto performance from a couple of years back is out on dvd...

.. what? When? WHERE!??!

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"What sort of songs did you like by them TOCMFIC? Was it the earlier guitar-driven stuff, the more electronic stuff, or the mix of both?

All of them it seems. I mean I liked the "Kid A" stuff that I heard, but my favourite Radiohead song (I knew enough of them to have a favourite song) is "Just".

I'm currently downconverting the MP3's, as 256kbps strikes me as retarded for live stuff which isn't CD quality to start with. I can fit a load more on a CD that way too.

Really regretting not giving Radiohead a chance when a friend copied their first three albums for about 7 years ago which I largely ignored...

All Surrogate

TOCMFIC, I'm very happy that you've discovered the Head.  I would point you in the direction of the 'I Might Be Wrong' live recordings that was put out.  'Kid A' is superb, but the IMBW version of 'Idioteque' is stunning.  As are the versions of 'Morning Bell', and 'Everything In Its Right Place'.

and in case you havn't already, get all the b-sides you can too.

There's probably a couple of albums worth collecting of stunning material from the b-sides.

Heres a few recommendations:

Palo Alto
A reminder
Lewis Mistreated
The Trickster
Banana Co
Pearly

TOCMFIC

I got hold of an archive of a ton of B'sides.

Just found IMBW. WOOT! Thanks a lot:)

I have SO much stuff to trawl through. With moving I can't afford blank CD's right now which really stinks... Tied to the computer...

fanny splendid

Quote from: "All Surrogate"TOCMFIC, I'm very happy that you've discovered the Head.  I would point you in the direction of the 'I Might Be Wrong' live recordings that was put out.  'Kid A' is superb, but the IMBW version of 'Idioteque' is stunning.  As are the versions of 'Morning Bell', and 'Everything In Its Right Place'.

Have you seen the live SNL videos of 'idoteque' and 'The National Anthem'?

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"and in case you havn't already, get all the b-sides you can too.

Good advice, my favourite b-side is Polyethylene.

All Surrogate

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Have you seen the live SNL videos of 'idoteque' and 'The National Anthem'?
Yep.  With the 'electronic' ones, I'm always interested in what Johnny is doing.  He seems to be using an old-fashioned telephone exchange during 'Idioteque', but it must be some old-fashioned analogue device, that old softy; for 'The national Anthem' a radio and an ondes martenot, I think.  Plus there's Thom doing his dancing :)  That's my kind of dancing, but you only get away with it at a Radiohead concert, otherwise you get funny looks and/or concern for your health.