Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brass Eye DVD COMMENTS

Started by triss_83, March 09, 2004, 12:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many stars do you give the extra features on the DVD?

5 stars
1 (6.7%)
4 stars
0 (0%)
3 stars
3 (20%)
2 stars
3 (20%)
1 star
4 (26.7%)
No stars
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: March 23, 2004, 12:16:00 PM

triss_83

To my heightened anticipation I bought the long awaited Brass Eye DVD which boasted 'Commentaries' (notice the use of wording, commentaries suggests to me more than one) we, however, recieve an appauling commentary on one episode. It then goes on to promise 'Extra Footage' which is hardly what i think any true Brass Eye fan was expecting. With the heavy editing process performed upon Brass Eye prior to being aired, you would at least expect some scenes to be put on. I'm guessing that Channel Four did not give the clearence to put these scenes onto one of their DVD's but that begs the question, 'Why bring it out yet?' Is this a ploy to bring out another DVD with 'Forbidden from broadcast Extra's' and doubling their money on the DVD buying fans?

The only praise I do have for the extra features on this DVD is the sound bin which I think is pretty good, it gives extentions to songs which were not complete at broadcast. Does anybody know how much input Chris Moris or Peter Baynham had in this DVD and what are everybody's thoughts on it?

I only discovered this website about half an hour ago, and have only just joined, so if this point has been raised, I Appologise, but I'd be really intrested in your views.

Purple Tentacle

It's a very sore subject here, if you have the time take a look at the "MiniNews" thread further down the page, detailing the promising looking extras on The Day Today DVD release, there's a big broo-ha-ha about the rubbish Tramps commentary, and the disdain that Morris seems to have for extras.

I honestly don't think it's a Channel 4 money-grabbing tactic, just laziness on behalf of those contributing to the BE DVD, something which thankfully doesn't seem to be happening with the TDT DVD. Good.

And welcome aboard.

Although not using bold would be a really great idea

Bilko

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Although not using bold would be a really great idea

And posting in normal size text is also a good idea.

But yes, welcome triss_83

Ambient Sheep

Welcome aboard, triss_83.  If you go to the TV - Brass Eye section on this website you'll find some excellent outakes and deleted scenes that should have made it onto the DVD but, for reasons unknown, didn't.

Have you found the "hidden extra" on the DVD yet?  It's in the Special (Paedophiles) episode.  When it goes to the fake ad-break containing the trailer for "The Pedo-Files" the words "Focus Group" appear at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.  If you then press Enter on your remote, you'll get a 30-second audio clip which is actually quite good.

As you'll no doubt gather there's a general feeling around here that the DVD was pretty pisspoor...I didn't understand that feeling quite so much myself until I saw the aforementioned deleted scenes on here, and then I did.

Oh...but a star-rating system?  Mmmm, perhaps you should have had a scale of verbal descriptions, ending up with "Mad as a lorry".... :-)

Anyway, the good news is that the Jam DVD is rather better (although some of the extras are fiddly to get to), and The Day Today DVD looks as if it will be excellent.

Artemis

I was so excited about hte prospect of getting BE on DVD that I didn't really pay too much thought to the extras until I got it - then I was fairly unhappy but it was better then nothing, no doubt about that. Actually, I take that back. The lack of decent commentary made the two-bit effort more of a slap in the face for me so I'd rather they just didn't bother and included some kind of pseudo-apologetic note on there about 'wanting to keep the work intact' and 'feeling it speaks for itself' or 'too happy with it on it's own to add anything else' or even 'sorry we couldn't be bothered'. Anything would have been nice. Still, TDT release will be Morris' DVD redemption I hope.

Darrell

I was more annoyed about the misleading extras list on the back.

QuoteEXTRA FOOTAGE - TRAILERS - COMMENTARIES - SOUND BIN

...suggests more than is there.

triss_83

I do think its great to have a DVD format of BE and I was pleased that the BES got the clearence. I think a lot more thought could have gone into it, especially as Baynham's other works (e.g. Alan Partridge) have had a lot of work done to them. I am sure the Day Today DVD will be great along with all the rest of the Alan Partridge series, and I am about to order Jam, but a DVD of BE should follow its comic routes and make such a tacky, full of animations DVD, with too many extras like everything that the writers hate and attack in the media. I feel that BE fans are under-rated anyway, surly their followers should have some reward.

Ambient Sheep

Looks like we're crossing a bridge here, again.  Ah well.