Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Lovely"

Started by jimmy jazz, February 19, 2006, 10:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy jazz

From PT's Peter's Mad Thoughts thread:

Quote from: "butnut"

I get [Peter's Mad Thoughts] all the time... the desire to kiss the nice girl on the bus on the neck...

I'm currently rereading that thread and this particular post has got me thinking. I experience this Mad Thought, on average, once every 10 days. Probably a bit more than the average person, you say, but nothing special. The problem is, it's always for the same sort of person. They're almost always in a skirt/ dress, dark haired, big eyed and with a toothy smile. Exactly what I'd describe as "lovely." My train of thought then derailed onto "Loveliness." Lovely is a brilliant word, I think, because it means so much more in your head than it does in a dictionary. It's a wholesome, sunny, smiley adjective, one that evokes a mental image for us all, methinks.

So, what mental image did you create when seeing this thread title? (Apart from: "Another nonsensical thread from this twat scrawled across a toilet wall") What do you usually think of when you hear the word? Who would you describe as lovely?

EDIT: Grammar

fanny splendid

Girls - Father Ted.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

'Lovely' is the awkward line between motherly afffection and seeing someone so appealling instead of wanting to rip their clothes off you just want them to give you a big hug. I suppose that's a pretty close description of what it means. Hence I don't use it very often.

Quote1.Full of love; loving.
2.Inspiring love or affection.
3.Having beauty that appeals to the emotions as well as to the eye. See synonyms at beautiful.
4.Enjoyable; delightful.

In the 3rd sense of the word, I suppose it's the difference between walking past someone and wanting to give them a big hug and walking past someone thinking "Yep, I'd give her one."

Lovely is a good word- it can be pretty versatile too.

Gavin

Barry Foster in that Hitchcock film Frenzy. It's what he says when he's doing his murdering I think.

I haven't seen this film for twenty years.

Drumlake Old Boys Club

I wondered at first if "lovely" was a word that you hate. A lot of people hate "nice", particularly English teachers, because it's so non-descriptive and can be applied to almost anything. I use "nice" all the time.

I agree with Fr. Ted though - lovely applies mainly to girls.
Edit: And, of course, the Sid James impersonation in Ebenezer Goode.

weekender

Quote from: "jimmy jazz"What do you usually think of when you hear the word? Who would you describe as lovely?

A horse, running through the fields.  I wonder where it's going with its fetlocks blowing in the wind.  I want to shower it with sugarlumps, and ride it over fences.  I'd polish its hooves every single day, and bring it to the horse dentist.  My lovely horse, its a pony no more.  Running around with a man on its back, like a train in the night.  Like a train in the night.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Drumlake Old Boys Club"I wondered at first if "lovely" was a word that you hate. A lot of people hate "nice", particularly English teachers, because it's so non-descriptive and can be applied to almost anything. I use "nice" all the time.

Yup, that's exactly what I was about to post. No sarcasm intended - I even had an English teacher who marked you down for using "nice" in your work, too.

Mister Cairo

Someone in a t-shirt looking at food and saying "lovely" sarcasticly. He's in a pub and isn't keen on the food.

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Drumlake Old Boys Club"I wondered at first if "lovely" was a word that you hate. A lot of people hate "nice", particularly English teachers, because it's so non-descriptive and can be applied to almost anything. I use "nice" all the time.

I agree with Fr. Ted though - lovely applies mainly to girls.
Edit: And, of course, the Sid James impersonation in Ebenezer Goode.

I like 'nice', it's the perfect non-committal compliment. I've had plenty of "You're very nice, but I'm not interested in you in that way", or "you have nice eyes" not to realise its use.

Maybe all English Teachers have all been embittered and jilted in such a manner, and they've declared a jihad on 'nice'. Or maybe its an Ofsted requirement.

Lovely sounds to ponderous and formal to me though. "You have lovely eyes", or "I think you're lovely but..." Just doesn't work.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, sometimes telling people they're lovely is like comparing them to a box of kittens or something.

Eis Nein

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Old ladies admiring pottery: 'Ooh, how lovely!'

That's the association I have.

Joyce Grenfell (who had a real hatred of the word) wrote a monologue about a Women's Institute chairwoman encouraging her members to paint flowers: 'I like to think we take what nature created and make it even lovelier...'

Dark Sky

My old housemate used to use "lovely" all the time even in ways which didn't make sense.

"Did you play in your concert?" / "Urr...yeah..." / "Were you lovely?" / "Urr...what?"

After two years I now use it all the time myself.  I can't help it.  ARRRGHHH!!!

wasp_f15ting

Lovely is a word I use for that insular feeling of togetherness I feel after sex. That warm, moist feeling between two people, that exists solely for two three minutes post coitus.

Before her fluids on your face start to crust up, and the warm goo everywhere else dries and flakes..

didgeripoo

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"
Before her fluids on your face start to crust up, and the warm goo everywhere else dries and flakes..

That's unlovely.

Maximash

I immediately thought of the song 'Lovely' by Wagon Christ. A bit of breakbeat-orientated sampledelic loveliness, used in the Blue Jam radioshows. I think it's... good.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "jimmy jazz"The problem is, it's always for the same sort of person. They're almost always in a skirt/ dress, dark haired, big eyed and with a toothy smile. Exactly what I'd describe as "lovely."

Hello!

Des Nilsen

Lovely is one of my favorite words to use, so I sort of thought of that when I read the thread title. 'Oooh, that's my word!' It may well be a simple little mantra to keep my outlook positive. It's a lovely word, lovely.
I also think of sweet music. A world to get lost in.

Speaking of ladies on the bus, I saw someone last monday on my way back from town. She sat in front of me on the top deck and had a strange, lovely quality to her. That quality you get from someone you know full well you'd fall in love with if you spent enough time around them. What's more, you know it'd be absolutely devastating.
Anyway, I saw her from the back - delicate brown hair down to her shoulders, a woolen cap, decidedly understated movements and a certain slender curvyness. A little later she got up and turned around to get off the bus... and when I saw her face... Phew!
It must have shown on my face. I stopped breathing for a moment, as she looked right at me and then carried on down the stairs. She had the most lovely face I've ever seen.

*sighs*

-

Jack Shaftoe

Ah, that was me, I'm afraid. Don't be embarrassed, you're not the first.

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"Ah, that was me, I'm afraid. Don't be embarrassed, you're not the first.

Makes no difference to me, matey. Fancy a drinky? ;)

-

Jack Shaftoe

Now come on, you tried that trick in the Eighties, and just because it worked then, etc etc...

jimmy jazz

It's very odd, lovely. Lots of people have associated with great feelings, other with not so great. and the difference between lovely and nice is so, so vast. Nice is a bit non-commital, a bit of a nothing word, whereas lovely always has a connotation to it, whether it be sarcastic or pleasant.

And why are lovely girls always on buses? Too lovely for the aggression that comes with driving? Where else do you see lovely men/ women then?

Frinky

Art supply shops.

Little cafe thingies.

Brad

The way that The Flaming Hamsters said it in the Philadelphia ads.

Oscar

I think "lovely" has a surprise quality to it, discovering something expected and being delighted - like the girl on the bus.

Here's the lovely moment I had a few minutes ago:

http://www.enchgallery.com/fractals/fractalpages/fragile.htm

Captain Crunch

Urgh it's like a womb full of noses.  Urgh!

jimmy jazz

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"Urgh it's like a womb full of noses.  Urgh!

Anybody got Freud's number?

Captain Crunch

Pah, it'll be 08457 90 90 90 if I click on that again.

Oscar

Erm, I'm sorry Captain to have caused such distress. I genuinely thought it was lovely, but then I didn't have the phrase "womb full of noses" at the ready in my head. In fact I thought it was more like Escher lizards in a blender - which come to think of it is also bad.
Ah well.