Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Football] Mass BBC Pant-Wetting

Started by european son, March 09, 2004, 05:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

ok, for my sins, i'm an Arsenal fan. not hardcore or anything, i go to about two games a season and watch as many as i can on the telly, and obviously i've been watching this season with some smiles and heightened expectation.

Arsenal have been on a brilliant run, granted, but the BBC have gone more than a touch overboard. the highlights of the Portsmouth game were one thing, Lawrenson saying the title was ours three weeks ago was another, but the website has some stuff that just takes the cake.

first is this piece from Alan Hansen of all people...

Quote from: "Alan"Arsenal's awe-inspiring performance at Portsmouth confirmed they are the most devastating team in British football history.

granted he does go on to qualify it, but still...

then came this slice of hyperbole:

Quote from: "the bbc"For the first time we have picked all 11 players for our team of the week from the same club...

clearly a gesture... what did Lehman do to be there, for example. also, arsenal have had better wins against better opposition (Inter Milan away anyone), not to mention stunning performances from Utd et al in the last few years which didn't warrant such a reaction.

Arsenal are in the quarters for the champions league, but i'd be amazed if they reach the final.

they're 9 points up and in the semi finals of the cup.... great. but the last time this situation happened and the media were openly wanking over Arsene's chiselled features, Berkamp missed that penalty, and United won the treble.

i think Arsenal have got the league firmly in their grasp, it's their's to win or lose, and i think this time they have the resolve and bottle to do it, god knows about the cup or Europe, but the love-in from the press (the BBC especially) is becoming unnerving. and if Arsenal do throw it away they'll be the first to rip them apart.

and all this post-Hutton!

king mob

They were awesome against Portsmouth but ( no offense to Portsmouth fans) it was hardly the same quality of victory as beating Inter.

It was a stunning display though & possibly the most entertaining display a top 3 team has put on in ages.

king mob

Wonderful interview with Fergie after tonights defeat with Gary Neville( i think) shouting and swearing in the background.

One of those had to watch it moments.

Tokyo Sexwhale

LOOK AT HIS MISERABLE SCOTTISH FACE!

fanny splendid

If only that was from tonight, it might have meant something.

king mob

chand

Quote from: "king mob"They were awesome against Portsmouth but ( no offense to Portsmouth fans) it was hardly the same quality of victory as beating Inter.

Of course, as a United fan, it's my duty to remind folks of the 3-0 drubbing Inter gave Arsenal at Highbury.

Credit where it's due, though, as poor as United have been in the last 7 or 8 games, that run wouldn't have fucked us up most seasons. It's just Arsenal who have been much more consistent.

I still think they won't win the Champions League, Arsenal. My theory is that Arsenal's strength this year has been putting away teams they're expected to beat, instead of losing 1-0 to Wolves and drawing against Leeds like us. But in the Champions League they're not necessarily better than most of the other teams left in it, and so i don't think they'll win it.

Bilko

Quote from: "chand"stuff he wrote

Plus Arsenal haven't got Wes Brown in their team. Brown gets some hellish slagging on Red Issue and deserves it most of time. He was blamed yesterday because he did react quicker enough to Howard's palm out, this maybe is a bit harsh.

The Culture Bunker

I would have thought the bile of United fans would have been reserved for the ref and linesman. How that goal wasn't given is something of a mystery and the number of nothing free kicks given to Porto was staggering.

Still, Carlisle bea Huddersfield - hurrah!

chand

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Quote from: "chand"stuff he wrote

Plus Arsenal haven't got Wes Brown in their team. Brown gets some hellish slagging on Red Issue and deserves it most of time. He was blamed yesterday because he did react quicker enough to Howard's palm out, this maybe is a bit harsh.

I thought Wes Brown was excellent yesterday, won everything in the air, read passes really well and made some important blocks and inteceptions. I think his problem has been confidence, if you look at the penalty he gave away against Fulham, that's HIS ball, he's first to it by a mile, but he panics and throws himself at it. I think the criticism he's been getting has definitely affected his confidence, but if people get behind him he can do a good job for the rest of the season.

chand

Quote from: "The Culture Bunker"I would have thought the bile of United fans would have been reserved for the ref and linesman. How that goal wasn't given is something of a mystery and the number of nothing free kicks given to Porto was staggering.

Mine was! That goal being ruled out was one of the more expensive mistakes I've seen in a football match. I think what the commentator said was right in that, the linesman was so late, I don't think he saw it, he just figured Scholes couldn't possibly have been onside there.

I have the misfortune to run a small forum which counts among its number one rabid Porto fan, so debate is a little heated today, particularly on the subject of Carlos Alberto.

The Bejesus

Has there been a more satisfying sight than seeing G. Neville trudging off this season?

Especially after all his "real men don't dive" nonsense, despite the fact he was booked for diving the other week and then sent off for being a tool*.

(*Not sure if this is how the ref put it in his report)