Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Greatest Film Openings

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, February 26, 2006, 06:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

I don't know if this is a bit of a weird thread but what is everyone's favourite opening, film wise?
I absolutely bloody adore the opening of Donnie Darko, the first shot is amazing, then Killing Moon coming in and Donnie cycling down the hill. Probably my all time favourite opening. The first time I saw it I wasn't expecting much for some reason but the first bit just blew me away and I was glued to my seat for the rest of the film.
Also, I really like the opening of Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, it really sets the tone for the rest of the film for me. I really like the framing (is that the right word?) of those opening few shots. Anyways, what are your favourite film openings and why?
I'll try and think of more later, I loved the first bit of Walk the Line, that was great too.

butnut

Either:

Un Chien Andalou

What better way to start your first film than to cooly, calmly slice open a woman's eye?

or

Once Upon a Time in the West

That incredible, slow credit sequence (the longest in cinema history I've heard - it lasts 20 minutes or so I think). Just some guys waiting for a train it seems.  And then after the train arrives, the first appearance of 'harmonica'. It's just magical.

Blumf

The start of The Conversation is pretty good, making you wonder what you're hearing.

Deadman97

A bit hackneyed maybe, but the opening of Pulp Fiction made me literally jump up and down in my seat on first cinematic viewing.

Almost Yearly

Again obvious, but The Shining.

Mr. Analytical

What do you call an opening?

Because the wedding scene in the Godfather is pretty fucking fantastic.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The beginning of Cube is a good one. Man wakes up in a strange place, explores his surroundings and WALLOP! It's none too subtle but it really draws you in to the rest of the film.

smoker

smoker

defmem

Un Chien andalou seconded.

Raising Arizona. love that opening. cant think of any others right now. My sunday pints are setting in

Artemis

The Lion King gets my vote - the hearing the shrill African cry at the start of the song is spine-tingling stuff.

Also quite enjoyed Vanilla Sky for the dream sequence.

Joy Nktonga

Seconding The Shining. It positively oozes menace.

[cliche]Star Wars[/cliche]

Rockers. Beautifully sets the tone, even though it's pretty much the only scene of its type in the whole movie.

ninestonecreature knows that I'm gonna say "Way of the Gun" by Christopher McQuarrie. The dialogue is sheer poetry. Who could forget such memorable repartee as:

QuoteRaving Bitch: Hey dickless, get off the fucking car! Hey fucksuck, get your slippery fucking ass of the car! Listen to me, get off the fucking car with your fucking ass!
Parker: Shut that cunts mouth or I'll come over there and fuckstart her head!

Mr. Analytical

QuoteRaving Bitch: Hey dickless, get off the fucking car! Hey fucksuck, get your slippery fucking ass of the car! Listen to me, get off the fucking car with your fucking ass!
Parker: Shut that cunts mouth or I'll come over there and fuckstart her head!
[/quote]

Good God that is fantastic stuff.

Is The Way of the Gun where they do the weird tactical bounding while the car rolls down a hill or is it the one with Christopher Lambert?

The first one - it's got james Caan and Benicio del Toro in.

Unfortunately it also has Taye Diggs and Juliette Lewis...

Clinton Morgan

The arrow hitting the bullseye followed by the caption 'A Production of The Archers'.

klaatu!

I like the dream sequence at the beginning of Wild Strawberries. I had a similar nightmare the night after I saw it.

With recent films, the beginning of Punch Drunk Love - Barry in his office talking on the phone, then moving outside, then that car crash. I think it's all one take too. It's all stunningly composed.

hands cold, liver warm

I originally read the title of this thread as Greatest Film Operations.

I couldn't think of any

Clinton Morgan

How about the double patient screw-top brain operation that Steve Martin performs in 'The Man With Two Brains'?

or even...
'Live Organ Transplants' from 'Monty Python's The Meaning of Life'

or even...
The operation on David Niven's brain in 'A Matter of Life and Death'

or even...
...at a guess as I have never seen it. The human head surgically attached to a cow's body in 'Britannia Hospital'.

VegaLA

I've said it before but Die Hard 3. The music is in full swing and then suddenly stops when a dept. store explodes, then the film holds you captive from that point on.

Also gotta mention my favourite, Dawn of the dead, it opens in complete turmoil at a TV station and really gives the feeling of complete chaos and despair.

klaatu!

The Fantastic Voyage. That operation lasts the entire film.

Uncle Gripper

Alien, very dreamy start.

Thirded on The Shining.

Appleseed is pretty hardcore as well.

defmem

Love the beginning of Day of the Dead. The arms coming out the walls. Supoib.

Army of Darkness
Halloween 4
Jeepers Creepers and Clownhouse (Yes, despite Victor Salva being a dirty paedo!)
The Hitcher

Guess what genre i like most

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Musicals?

Back to the Future is another great one. The giant speaker makes Nigel Tufnel's 'up to eleven' Marshall look like a piece of crap.

InfiniteFury

No-one mentioned Apocalypse Now? The sight of the forest going up in smoke still gives me goosebumps

Frinky

gazzyk1ns

Damn, just lost a bet I had with myself.

Frinky

What was I supposed to say?

El Unicornio, mang

The opening of Witchfinder General. The quiet, beautiful English countryside interrupted by the screams of a woman being led to her death and underemoniously hanged on a hillside. The bleakness of this scene is carried on all the way through until the end.

Goodfellas, taking one of the most violent scenes from the middle of the film, plonking it at the beginning before the credits with no warning, then "As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster" and straight into the best film ever

All of the Indiana Jones films have fantastic openings too, as do most James Bond's

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Frinky"What was I supposed to say?

Hehe Ghostbusters! I've always liked the beginning, that noise over the Colombia Pictures statue is really good. Sounds like I'm taking the piss, I'm not, it's a tiny moment but it's always stuck in my head. Might just be because it's one of the first films I ever paid proper attention to, I don't know.