Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Greatest Film Openings

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, February 26, 2006, 06:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quast In Spaaace!

Another vote for Donnie Darko.  And one for The Doors.  I can't think of another right now but when I do it might also begin with D.

El Unicornio, mang

Apocalypse Now, for the scenes of the war as a bad trip with 'The End' by the Doors played over the top, and the great segue into Martin Sheen being all drunk in his hotel room, especially when I found out that he was really blind drunk and really smashed his hand on that mirror

Bladerunner
Three Colours Blue and Red
Delicatessen
A Clockwork Orange

Oh yeah, Hitchhikers Gudie to the Galaxy. Beautiful.

Regular John

The Descent had a great opening scene, very unexpected.

Everything else has pretty much been covered.

chimpoo

Everything but Kubrick's '2001' that is.  I know I won't be able to spell it so I'm not going to try.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Mallrats. Not big or clever but it made me laugh like a drain.
Also if we're including games then Silent Hill wins hands down.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Nah, Kill Bill is bollocks but you've got a point about Raging Bull.

Ach I enjoyed Kill Bill, I'm a sucker for black and white stuff, and the 'execution' of The Bride was quite stunning, to me. It's not on par with most movies mentioned here, but I like it.

Uncle Gripper

If we were including games 'Another World' would deffo win!

Frinky

MechWarrior 2 had an incredible opening for it's time.

zozman

Quote from: "Orias"

and I'll go for one from TV.
...Robin Of Sherwood - The Swords of Wayland.  Devil worship, dead priests, graverobbing and fantastic imagery all in a 3 minute pre-credits sequence at 5.35 on a Saturday afternoon.  Listen to the commentary on the DVD to hear producer Paul Knight stunned into silence at how good it all is even 20 years later.

Anyone seen Cerys lately?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Is there not a new Robin Hood series being made at the moment, to be shown in a Doctor Who style slot?

phantom_power

carlito's way starts and ends at the same point

scream has a great opening, killing off the star at the start of the film

the lost boys? munich? who framed roger rabbit?

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Identity Crisis Ahoy!"
Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Nah, Kill Bill is bollocks but you've got a point about Raging Bull.

Ach I enjoyed Kill Bill, I'm a sucker for black and white stuff, and the 'execution' of The Bride was quite stunning, to me. It's not on par with most movies mentioned here, but I like it.

Oh the film as awhole is alright, but I just didnt think the opening scene was all that.

terminallyrelaxed

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Uncle Gripper"If we were including games 'Another World' would deffo win!

Hehe, good call!

Day of the Tentacle, naturally ("I feel stronger... smarter... more aggressive") and Grim Fandango, although the whole game is so beautiful it feels unfair to isolate the introduction. (The computer showing a negative graph with a flashing arrow pointing to it cracks me up every time.)

Catalogue Trousers

If we include games, a quick huzzah for the much-maligned (unjustly, I feel) GoldenEye: Rogue Agent. Just the fun of being able to kill Brosnan's Bond - hell, Bond full-stop - is worth something.

terminallyrelaxed

Well, if we're doing games, Halo 2. No contest.

SetToStun

If we are doing games (and it seems the evidence is in favour) then the opening credits for Ripper must be in there. Playing those in a dark room at midnight shat me right up, I don't mind admitting. Played the credits more than the game in the end. Since the game was a bit crap. Apart from Christopher Walken - he was good.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

2001 and Dune are ones that stick in my memory. Wasn't looking forward to Dune much but then the opening immediately convinced me otherwise. And 2001's is about as ballsy as you can get- the equivalent of whacking your todger on the table and screaming "beat this".

Raiders Of The Lost Ark - Thirded
Jaws - seconded

John Carpenter's The Thing - space pod breaks through earth's atmosphere (ripped off considerably in Predator), then cut to knackered dog being chased through the Antarctic snow by a trigger happy helicopter pilot.  

From Dusk Till Dawn - typical Tarantino intro, but I love the dialogue and the 'shooting out the spirit bottles and throwing the lighter-fluid soaked toilet roll' thing.  Then as the two brothers stroll out of the building, bickering as the whole building explodes behind them...  just very cool.

Dazed And Confused - Stoned american teenagers turning up to school to the sound of Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion.

Cerys

Quote from: "zozman"
Quote from: "Orias"

and I'll go for one from TV.
...Robin Of Sherwood - The Swords of Wayland.  Devil worship, dead priests, graverobbing and fantastic imagery all in a 3 minute pre-credits sequence at 5.35 on a Saturday afternoon.  Listen to the commentary on the DVD to hear producer Paul Knight stunned into silence at how good it all is even 20 years later.

Anyone seen Cerys lately?

Sorry, I've been busy drooling.

wasp_f15ting

There are many, and there are better ones in the series I am presenting.

This is the opening sequence of Terminator 3, poorly acted film, but this was just stunning to see as an opening to a movie.

Click for 720p original image, 1280 x 720

The sound was pretty damn good too.

Four Eyes

Quote from: "mrpants"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Are you a female, Four Eyes?

I always thought High Fidelity was an acceptable rom-com for men.  Is it known as a 'girl' film then?

I thought the question was prompted by my writing "The Cusack".

Quote from: "jtc"
Quote from: "Four Eyes"The opening sequence of Ghost World, a montage from a 1960s Bollywood video and voyeuristic shots of the neighbours, is brilliant, and had me liking the film straight away.

Featuring clips from the film Gumnaam. Right click and save as

Oooh, ta!

Ambient Sheep

Paris, Texas.  Harry Dean Stanton striding out of the desert, beneath that endless blue sky, with Ry Cooder sliding away.

Dark Sky

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.  Nothing like sitting there in the cinema thinking, "oh God, did we walk into the right screen?".  My mum turned to my sister and I and asked in a far too loud voice, "are we still in nursery?!"

Not gonna explain that one any further 'cause if you haven't seen the film you are a shit.

rjd2

Quote from: "butnut"

Once Upon a Time in the West

That incredible, slow credit sequence (the longest in cinema history I've heard - it lasts 20 minutes or so I think). Just some guys waiting for a train it seems.  And then after the train arrives, the first appearance of 'harmonica'. It's just magical.

Totally agreed the best thing Sergio Leone and ennio morricone ever did. Does Fonda kill the family before the credits?

Quote from: "Dark Sky"Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.  Nothing like sitting there in the cinema thinking, "oh God, did we walk into the right screen?".  My mum turned to my sister and I and asked in a far too loud voice, "are we still in nursery?!"

Not gonna explain that one any further 'cause if you haven't seen the film you are a shit.

Did you actualy like the movie? Surely not?

mothman

Star Trek: First Contact - Zooming out from Picard's eye to show him stuck in a Borg alcove, just one of thousands. Plus, I love the shot about five minutes in of the Borg cube roaring overhead just before two photon torpedoes slam into it.

Purple Tentacle

Ooh, also quickly followed by the shot that they ALWAYS cut on telly, where the drill goes slowly towards Picard's eye, and just starts to bend the surface of the eyeball...

mothman