Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:53:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"From my cold dead hands"

Started by Mister Cairo, February 27, 2006, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Cairo

What would you be prepared to die for/fight for to protect?

Myself, I'd be prepared to fight against the installation of a Taliban-style regime, so I suppose democracy (as much as we have) would be something I'd fight for. The idea of books being burnt scares me, unless it's Littlejohn's magnum opus.

On the subject of the Taliban  I was reading about them  in The Bookseller of Kabul, a book I really recommend. It's about a journalist living with a man who defied the Taliban to supply books to the citizens of Kabul. The books includes Taliban rules

Under the Taliban, you were prohibited from:

Owning or playing music
Shaving
Rearing pigeons
Flying kites
Reproducing or owning pictures
Having long hair
Washing clothes by rivers
Dancing at weddings
Playing drums
Witchcraft

And that's just a sample. I suppose the most likely scenario for a dictatorship is the far right in this country and abroad getting together like in V for Vendetta.

TOCMFIC

What would I fight for?

My right to party!!!! (Come on, you knew someone would say it.)

Despite only being here ten years, if the US made an attempt to annex Canada, I would pick up arms and defend the country. I would also, of course, die to save my family if I had too.

sproggy

To punch Charlton Heston on the nose for being such a big ninny.

Artemis

I'd fight for the right not to fight if you don't want to.

The Plaque Goblin

Looks like we should be protesting to regain the right to protest.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Artemis"I'd fight for the right not to fight if you don't want to.

I like that!

Circusfire

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"

Under the Taliban, you were prohibited from:

Owning or playing music
Flying kites
Dancing at weddings
Playing drums

All of the above were very easy to ban at the time. It was considered very bad taste to be playing pop music/having fun when your neighbours were grieving for their 3 sons killed by the russians.

And in answer to your question, I'd fight for the right to vote.

Baxter

The right to access, maintain and distribute any and all infomation whatsoever, but that has never existed anywhere.

Back in the day I used to have a website that had a section of mirrors for hundreds of anachist cookbook style .txt files, they're all down now but I still have most of them as printed harcoipes in ringbinders I was thinking the other day what I would be charged with if my bookshelf was ever seached.

Catalogue Trousers

It's corny, but true - I'd love to think that I'd have the courage to fight to protect those weaker than myself, and those whom I love. Stuff like How Horatius Kept The Bridge through to The Magnificent Seven gets me that way - the idea of fighting, for whatever reason, to protect the weak and the loved.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhat would you be prepared to die for/fight for to protect?

Really not very much. My family certainly but everything else I'd probably try and run away from.

Carlos Tevez

Nothing's worth dying for in my opinion.

Timmay

Shoulders?-Stomach!