Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photos Of Things You Shouldn't (& subsequent mongs)

Started by Artemis, March 01, 2006, 06:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Thats awful - and your housemates are all anally retentive.

We tend to wash up after ourselves, but you dont have to do it right away. I do tend to wash up right away, usually before I've eaten in fact (if you get some hot water and WUL in the pan right away it doesn ebcome encrusted and only takes a few seconds, then you're free to eat your dinner in a leisurley fashion, knowing you don't have to do anything after). Every couple of days there is a build up of a few mugs and glasses which we take turns doing. we have one 'stealth' flatmate who stays in his room all the time, he only ever washes his own stuff up and does no housework, but the rest of us don't really mind because although he uses the bathroom and kitchen its like living with 3 people rather than 4, you don't have to take him into consideration for anything as he keeps to himself.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Artemis"We knew her name, and that she liked to play volleyball. From that, we deduced that she was probably one of the players in that picture.

What bit are you struggling with?
The bit where you don't seem to know what your flatmate looks like, so that when Googling for an older photo of her, you can't immediately pick her out and go "that's her", but rather have to guess and struggle and stuff.  Surely her appearance hasn't changed THAT much over time?!

Quote from: "Artemis"She was living in Germany when we offered her the room so we didn't know what she looked like.
Yeah, but surely you know what she looks like NOW?  The way you're talking, it's as if you've never actually met her...you just know her by name and the fact she leaves notes lying around.

You don't have Prosopagnosia without realising it, do you?  Um, sorry if that turns out to be the case.

El Unicornio, mang

I think Artemis has to face up to the fact that he is in fact 'Jenny', and also the mysterious 'Jonny' and is living a Fight Club-esque triple-life which is probably going to end with many deaths

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I do tend to wash up right away, usually before I've eaten in fact (if you get some hot water and WUL in the pan right away it doesn't become encrusted and only takes a few seconds, then you're free to eat your dinner in a leisurley fashion, knowing you don't have to do anything after).
This is a soapbox (haha) issue of mine. You don't usually need WUL even, or maybe just a dot on your scouring sponge which will do everything including the plates afterwards, even if you have boiled egg and melted cheese for tea. It's not often one's inherent laziness is good for the little fishies.

:-/ Is it a feature (haha) of Prosopagnosia that sufferers have a particularly bland, forgettable face themselves?

El Unicornio, mang

A serious question: if you have that illness, would you forget your own face too? I'd be quite freaked out getting up every morning, looking in the mirror and going "Aaaah!!....oh, it's me isn't it"

butnut

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"You don't have Prosopagnosia without realising it, do you?  Um, sorry if that turns out to be the case.

Ooh that's interesting, I don't have that, but I remember talking with Pikey about how bad out visual memories are - about how we remember the colours and details of things so badly. That sounds like a much worse version of that perhaps.

Ambient Sheep

I first heard of it courtesy of that classic Oliver Sacks book: The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat.  The guy in that opening story had a really extreme form of agnosia where it wasn't just faces, it was all objects.  You'd give him a glove and ask him to describe it, and he'd describe it really accurately along the lines of  "a piece of leather arranged in a strange kind of pouch, with four long enfoldings and one short enfoldings" but he wouldn't know what it actually WAS.  Despite having 20/20 vision, the part of his brain that linked up the images that he saw with what an object actually WAS, was completely destroyed.

Sacks would prompt him, going "Yes, yes, but what might you USE it for?" and the guy (a well-educated man) would have no idea, and make various strange half-hearted suggestions.  Eventually Sacks would tell him it was a glove, and the guy's face would light-up, he'd slide it onto his hand, and go "A glove, of course!".

Somewhere else in either that book, or the equally good An Anthropologist On Mars, I think he tells the story of a more classic case of just the face-blindness version.

All Surrogate

Quote from: "Artemis"We knew her name, and that she liked to play volleyball. From that, we deduced that she was probably one of the players in that picture.

What bit are you struggling with?
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"The bit where you don't seem to know what your flatmate looks like, so that when Googling for an older photo of her, you can't immediately pick her out and go "that's her", but rather have to guess and struggle and stuff.  Surely her appearance hasn't changed THAT much over time?!
Quote from: "Artemis"She was living in Germany when we offered her the room so we didn't know what she looked like.
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Yeah, but surely you know what she looks like NOW?  The way you're talking, it's as if you've never actually met her...you just know her by name and the fact she leaves notes lying around.
I think you've misunderstood - Artemis said that he and his housemate had found that picture before she arrived; they suspected she was one of them, and we're proved correct when she moved in.  He was just telling a little story about finding a picture of her before she arrived, not about finding a picture of her for the purpose of this thread.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "All Surrogate"I think you've misunderstood - Artemis said that he and his housemate had found that picture before she arrived; they suspected she was one of them, and we're proved correct when she moved in.  He was just telling a little story about finding a picture of her before she arrived, not about finding a picture of her for the purpose of this thread.
GOT IT, thanks!

Makes perfect sense now...it was just the context of his initial posts that made it confusing to me (and others, apparently)...
Quote from: "Artemis"First of all, I'm not 'Jonny' - that's someone else we live with. I'll see what I can do about getting her image. There is actually one out there - she was part of a volleyball team in Germany (she's German)... I'll see it I can find it.
Quote from: "Artemis"Ok, here's the best I could do. While the housemate I get on with (not Jonny, for reference) and I were waiting for her to arrive, we put her name into the german google and it spat out this. Turns out she's the second from right on the top row - the one that looks like a man, we think...  we were hoping for the one on the far left, whose torse seems to start very high up her body, or the one on the far left, who''s pulling a daft face.
In that sort of context, "waiting for her to arrive" came across as "waiting for her to arrive back from her shopping trip or wherever she went when she wrote that note" not as in "waiting for her to arrive the very first time she came over from Germany".

To be honest, I read that and felt a bit confused myself, but just assumed I was being a bit thick and had missed something (which clearly I had), but when Make Me Smile then exhibited precisely the same confusion as I had, I felt on firmer ground.  :-)

Artemis

Ambient Sheep

No probs, and sorry for being so dense.  And the good news is, you don't have Prosopagnosia!

J-boy

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I think Artemis has to face up to the fact that he is in fact 'Jenny', and also the mysterious 'Jonny' ...

this thread is brilliant.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"(That picture)

Aaagh! You bastard, Yearly. For one very long second I started to believe in flashbacks. Can't we have some kind of NSFJY warning for this kind of thing?! I need a lie down.

Rolf Harris

Quote from: "Artemis"Sorry - I should have been clearer.

I think you should be cleaner.

Did you say second from the right at the back? Doesnt she look incredibly like Prince William?