Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:36:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Invite to Oink or similar torrent tracker

Started by Al Tha Funkee Homosapien, March 03, 2006, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I was wondering if anyone had an invite to Oink or a similar torrent tracker that has less mainstream music on it. I've got three invites to Kraytracker (punk/hardcore/indie) if anyone wants to trade or something. Sorry that this post is a bit whorish.

Cack Hen

Good luck, they're like gold-dust. I've got an Oink account and I'm hanging onto it for dear life but they don't make it easy for you. It's almost impossible to upload on torrents unless you're the original uploader or the only seeder, so the only way to upload and improve your ratio is to upload yourself. If your ratio drops below 1.0 or near for even a day, you're likely to get banned.

Sorry, I don't have an invite since I'm not a power user yet. I'll bare you in mind when I am, though.

Rubbish Monkey

Power users now get regular invites on Oink, so if anyone wants one send me a pm with yer email address.

Hank Aviary

I've got a spare OiNK invite too, if anyone is desperate for one.

Cack Hen

Alright, they're clearly not as hard to find as I thought. It took me ages, though!

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Cack Hen"Good luck, they're like gold-dust. I've got an Oink account and I'm hanging onto it for dear life but they don't make it easy for you. It's almost impossible to upload on torrents unless you're the original uploader or the only seeder, so the only way to upload and improve your ratio is to upload yourself. If your ratio drops below 1.0 or near for even a day, you're likely to get banned.

Sorry, I don't have an invite since I'm not a power user yet. I'll bare you in mind when I am, though.

What the fuck is the point of torrent sites doing that? This whole ratio thing is fucked. Someone seeds to 200%, that means someone's gonna get banned essentially.

Marty McFly

not for seeding 2 times what they download they won't. the ratio would be 2.

Cack Hen

I believe they do it to prevent people from just jumping on popular torrents to get their ratio up and instead making them upload their own stuff. That way, the site gets much more content.

Paaaaul

No, he's saying that if you seed to 200%, someone else is losing out because you are benefitting - not everyone can have ratios above 1 because total uploads=total downloads.

Marty McFly

of course, what you can always do is find stuff on the public trackers that also appears on oink, download it from the public one, and then seed it on oink. voila, you're uploading something that hasn't affected your download ratio in the slightest.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "Marty McFly"of course, what you can always do is find stuff on the public trackers that also appears on oink, download it from the public one, and then seed it on oink. voila, you're uploading something that hasn't affected your download ratio in the slightest.

Everyone has CDs they can upload. There are always people after lossess/FLAC format. With Oink the main problem is a lack of leechers once you have downloaded something thats been there more than a caouple of days. Its not like somewhere like UKNova where not everyone can rip content - hence the lack of leechers I think, so you can download stuff and get people downloading from you for the next 3 weeks. With Oink it requires you to actually upload stuff, not much of a bad thing really, ,since there is always someone who missed the original upload(s), or wants it at a higher quality. Everyone must own some CDs they can rip and as long as it is'nt already on there at a higher rate can upload it. I have uploaded the same stuff twice at a higher rate because its been requested, and everything i have uploaded - even stuff i have downloaded from slsk has had leechers, as long as its within their rules i don't know why people have any problems.....

matt

Does anyone have an Oink invite they could send my way?

Also sorry for the whorish nature of this post.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I had an Oink account. I was doing OK, they're not nearly as strict on ratios as people make out. But then I started downloading a Beatles torrent. As per usual on Oink it went at phenomal speed and I left it, expeting it to be finished in 30 mins or so. I come back 6 hours later to find it still going at the same speed, downloading and redownloading one piece of the torrent which kept failing a 'hash check'. So basically my ratio got fucked an I got kicked off. Now was this on purpose from someone I was downloading off so they could boost their ratio!?

Now I have got my hands on a new invite, but they have obviously blocked my IP as it won't let me register! And what can I do about it?! NoTHING. I'm sure the people running it aren't making a profit from it, but it takes the piss really that people can get all high and mighty about what is essentially stolen goods.

vacant

Well then.
 At the moment, i've got a spare 10 invites, so if anyone wants one, pm me, Hopefully it'll work.out ok.
Definitly worth it, as i managed to get at least 55gbs in the space of a month, all good music stuff, and it is very diverse, and no dud files.
Anyway, i'm off to try whiskey and weetabix, and see what happens

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Paaaaul"No, he's saying that if you seed to 200%, someone else is losing out because you are benefitting - not everyone can have ratios above 1 because total uploads=total downloads.

And that always works nicely for the few who make a point of keeping their ratios tidy :)  it's a choice one makes when enrolling.  The moaners always lose out because they don't hang in there.... but they are a plenty. Aharr. Shiver me timbers.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "Eight Taiwanese Teenagers"I come back 6 hours later to find it still going at the same speed, downloading and redownloading one piece of the torrent which kept failing a 'hash check'. So basically my ratio got fucked an I got kicked off. Now was this on purpose from someone I was downloading off so they could boost their ratio!?

Some clients have an (advanced) option/preference to 'kick/ban clients that send you bad data' or similar. It should be turned on, since it makes sure that if a peer repeatedly sends you pieces that fail the hash check that peer will be ignored in the future.

You could try popping into the chat room and speaking to a member of staff. They will be able to see what you did on ratio watch. But if you didn't do much they may not do much for you, but its worth a shot.

QuoteNow I have got my hands on a new invite, but they have obviously blocked my IP as it won't let me register! And what can I do about it?

Plenty of people I know have been banned and come back at some point.  Was  the invite sent to the same email address? That may be your problem as your account is disabled for a while before it gets deleted.

vacant

Some of the people who wanted an invite forgot to leave an email addresss, so,if you can let me know asap, will be appreciated. Ta, as i have about 5 invites left.

RHX

Tokyo Sexwhale

mcbpete

I'm now pretty reluctant to hand out invites to peoples I don't know after the new rule that Oink introduced yesterday:

Since we catch so many people trying to cheat their ratio every day (every single one gets banned, without exception), we will now be taking firmer action against the inviter. If you invite someone who tries to cheat their share ratio, you will lose any invites you have left and the ability to receive more.

igster

Oh yes, I've just seen that. How are people cheating their ratio?

For all the other people - yes, there is an inherent contradiction in that it is not physically possible for everyone to have a ratio of 1.0

However, oink doesn't require you to have a ratio of 1.0. In fact, light downloaders only need have a ratio of 0.25 (i.e. you have to have uploaded only a quarter of what you have downloaded).

I joined, downloaded some popular torrents and uploaded a couple of my own and got power user status in 2 weeks. My ratios over 5.0. It's not that hard, really. As long as you can leave your computer on and be patient - most torrents get back to 1.0 eventually.

As for being banned, I wouldn't know anything about that, but if you clear your cookies and change your IP, there's no way they could know it's you. Obviously I don't condone that though :)

RHX

Dusty Gozongas

Where's my invite then? Hmmm?

Only kidding. A reply would've been civilised though.

I guess he got busted by the pigs (at Oink).

vacant

Ta for that. I think i've sent on about 8 invites now, 2 left! Don't fuck up with them!

Pilf

I'll just add a thank you to vacant as well, very much appreciated.