Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:50:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Purple Tentacle's Second Class Male - NOW UPDATED!!

Started by Purple Tentacle, March 06, 2006, 12:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "sproglette"In the first shot from behind PLC the cafe' awning is down, in the second long distance shot from his left it's in the up position.
It's time going viscous and gummy, fool.

The Duck Man

I'm sorry to say it's not working for me, which is a bit weird...

It mentioned some plug-in for Quicktime?

Cerys

Wow.

If I was going to be critical I'd say the sound lets it down in places; but since I'm not going to be critical (and it might just be my speakers) I won't.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "The Duck Man"I'm sorry to say it's not working for me, which is a bit weird...

It mentioned some plug-in for Quicktime?

DivX?

Purple Tentacle

Yeah, you need the Divx codec.

Cerys, if I could do it again I would pay FAR more attention to the sound, I was thinking of doing a total redub but never got round to it.

Frinky

I didn't think the sound was so bad, to be honest, I've heard much worse on bigger productions.

What did you use for audio recording?

That's quite an achievement, Purple Tentacle. Well done!

Are PLC's teeth an effect shot?

jutl

That was great. A couple of comments:

The flashback to Cattleprod's flat was a bit Edgar-Wrightish, and seemed to me a little out of tone with the comedowny atmosphere of the rest of it. Maybe a second or two backing out of the flat and pausing on the Gamecube+techno muffled sounds heard through the door would even it out a little.

The best bits for me were the unexpected touches (although I'm not sure one of them was intentional): PLC's rueful interjections into the 'Big one with a dove on it' speech were lovely, and the fading of the anonymity eye slot over Cattleprod when her name was mentioned.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "jutl"the fading of the anonymity eye slot over Cattleprod when her name was mentioned.

Yes, I really liked that too.

The Duck Man

Ah, it's a new laptop so it probably doesn't have it.

Will sort forthwithly.

sproggy

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
Quote from: "sproglette"In the first shot from behind PLC the cafe' awning is down, in the second long distance shot from his left it's in the up position.
It's time going viscous and gummy, fool.

Exactly what I thought at first.  But if that was LOL NO case, would it not have been more effective to have shown the cafe' completely closed with tables & chairs etc. removed, maybe also a change from day to night?  This hindsight thing has the ability to make Spielbergs out of all of us.

Quote from: "jutl"PLC's rueful interjections into the 'Big one with a dove on it' speech were lovely....

Seconded, a great idea with some beautiful voice work and editing there.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "jutl"The flashback to Cattleprod's flat was a bit Edgar-Wrightish, and seemed to me a little out of tone with the comedowny atmosphere of the rest of it. Maybe a second or two backing out of the flat and pausing on the Gamecube+techno muffled sounds heard through the door would even it out a little.

The best bits for me were the unexpected touches (although I'm not sure one of them was intentional): PLC's rueful interjections into the 'Big one with a dove on it' speech were lovely, and the fading of the anonymity eye slot over Cattleprod when her name was mentioned.

That's interesting that you say the flashback is Edgar-Wrightish, as the part of the film that I had the most problem with was the blinding light from the door.

When I first read the original story, I had two images in my mind, the eyes through the letterbox, and the door opening to angelic light. However, when I applied the shine effect to the door, I realised that it could be seen as a rip-off of episode 2 of Spaced when Daisy opens Tim's bedroom door. And there's nothing lower than ripping off a show full of rip-offs! (Sorry, homage.)
I wanted to take it out to be honest because I was so paranoid of people going 'cuh, Spaced', but the naked rushes look comically pathetic so I kept it in.

I know what you mean about the flashback, I wanted to have it as a sharp contrast between Geefe's paaaaaaarty lifestyle that he used to have, and his glum comedown he has now. I've done this contrasty thing in quite a few things, and every time people say it spoils the atmosphere, so I think maybe I should stop!

I was surprised that nobody had commented on the eye-blocker, Mrs Tentacle absolutely hates it with a passion. If I'm honest, the reveal is probably a cheap trick of artificially creating tension and intensity in the acting of a gobby South African racist, who's now been deported so can't hurt me for obscuring her face.

Yeah, the whole exterior shoot was a bit of a balls-up really, it was so very bitterly cold I was seriously concerned about PLC. He was in bare feet for most of the time, and not much else. Also, the exterior stuff was shot by me, and not very well for I am an appalling cameraman, and controlling the focus wheel AND the zoom wheel is too much for my dyspraxic hands. In the original story he stands outside the Natural Food Cafe and comments that it becomes a Starbucks before making the call, and that's what we shot.
The first shot is him standing outside the cafe, it whip-pans to him standing outside a Starbucks, then he makes the call, then sits down under a tree and writes 'time goes viscous and gummy', then transitions to him writing outside the flat waiting for the locksmith.
However this went on for well over a minute, and terminally fucked the pace of the film, so I cut it down further and further until I just had the phonebox (essential to the narrative), and standing outside the cafe, which I kept in out of spite because the woman in the cafe was a dragon who got arsey about us filming. I never noticed that the awning changed though, the old bitch probably did it on purpose when we changed positions.

Christ now I AM getting pretentious, why don't I record a fucking commentary and stick my head RIGHT up my arse?  (I have actually seen cunts record commentaries on their 5 minute films like they're Martin bloody Scorsese. Except he doesn't even do commentaries.)

Almost Yearly

Well I was disturbed by neither the bongo night nor the shining light, in my ignorance. I mean, if someone does a space film and they show a big ship looming past with lights coming out its engines, I don't go, "Nyar, they're just copying 2001," I just accept it as part of the filmic vernacular. Spaced schmaced. But then I'm just a punter.

Of course the whole thing is marred by those involved not having done enough drugs.

I take it the word "lovechild" was already in? Please lie about this, I'd like to think you compromised your integrity for us.

Patsy's chest hair. Does it naturally just start there? Seems a bit of a neat line across the top to me. Very suspicious. And how could someone above mention the teeth? I can't see the teeth for the lips.

Puke girl's acting is very befitting, I think. Eastenders meets Ben Dover.

Purple Tentacle

The lovechild thing is one of those ghastly "in-joke" things, yes.  The inclusion of 'bird' was also for gazzyk1ns' benefit.

Spot the differences

Almost Yearly

Oh yes, just so's you know...
Quote from: "When I"It's time going viscous and gummy, fool.

I was being kind. My first draft of that post read "Heheh, you cunt sproglette. Heh. Heheheh."

mrpants

Excellent, very nice.  It looks great but I think it desperately needs a dub.  It's a shame that so much effort has been put into everything else and not into the sound.

PM me if you want to get it dubbed.

Really enjoyed it though!

You do realise that I haven't actually seen the finished version of this yet, so I'm going to throw a thesp queenie hissy fit and flounce off in a mincey fashion.

Heh, I like the fact that people like all the bits that Mrs Tentacle hates - the Cattelprod eye thing, my "spunk" line.  Nothing personal to Mrs T, just that we were giggling like naughty schoolboys about it, whilst she, a teacher fittingly enough, seemed to disapprove.

Although, that said, her alternative line for "It's a bird" made me and Herr Direktor laugh and laugh and laugh.  And laugh.

The scouse fucked the racist, y'know...

mook

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
The scouse fucked the racist, y'know...

Yeah! I don't suppose Tentacle filmed that did he?

Almost Yearly

Still never met a nice south african, it's true.

Edit: tell a lie, met a footy team from Soweto once.

That black eye is real by the way.  A "shiner" means something else in Yorkshire.  I won't make that mistake again.

Ha, that should piss Tentacle off, he was dead chuffed at his novice make-up efforts.

Isn't it about time someone hated this and called us a pair of talentless cunts?  Where's Rats when you need him?

Frinky

Does this make me the Queen Mother of CaB?

Is that what the teeth reference was?

Edit: I am just eating crisps as you've posted that.  They're McCoy's though.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"That black eye is real by the way.

Cunt.

You just don't want to admit how much you enjoyed me patting and stroking your face.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Where's Rats when you need him?
Mm - now you say, I have been meaning to mention the director's new chubby hubby look.

TraceyQ

I've got the horn and I've not watched it yet.

It's the foot spa shot, it gets everyone.  I've had several wanks over it already, and I'm not even in a narcississississississssisisssisssstic mood today.

Lee

Quote from: "TraceyQ"I've got the horn and I've not watched it yet.

He looks so fucking vulnerable doesn't he?

TraceyQ

That's fucking wonderful, you should be proud of that.  It looks gorgeous, too, for such a small budget, it's amazing.

(and I'll chip in- PLC, cor!)

danielreal2k

Superb, love the editing. There is something about short films I just adore, cashback, my wrongs .. etc would love to see a lot more.

plans to make anymore ?

I'm sure if everyone chipped in   you could make a longer, bigger budget film
kinda like the CookdandBomd Arts Council ;-)